• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Dunc the Punk
    • Sep 2019
    • Tasmania

High milage Pajero

I'm thinking of purchasing a high mileage NS Pajero (https://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/moon...4x4/1230015114).
    Apparently its been used for touring including towing a caravan. Two problems standout to me:
    1) Clutch needs to be replaced. This is not a big issue. Tempting to replace myself but I'll probably get a workshop to do it with my lack of tools.

2) Apparently the check engine light has been on for over 100,000kms due to extractor install which doesn't have a O2 bung. He reckons the economy improved and this hasn't caused any issues. This hasn't been my experience with my previous TJ Wranger which had almost the same story. It would cause the engine to run rich, reducing economy and power. Alarm bells are sounding in my head with the car running like this for so long. Can anyone share any experience regarding this?

Other than the above, the car seems good (though I haven't inspected yet). I am not scared doing usual backyard maintenance and repairs. The main thing is that the car looks nice for the wifey and is reasonably reliable. Paying the listed cost for a NS leaves a lot leftover for potential repairs.

Keen for a manual Pajero as the complex high pressure diesels scare me and auto fuel consumption is through the roof. Plus, manuals are soooo much more fun to drive.

Thoughts?
  • erad
    Valued Member
    • Mar 2015
    • Cooma NSW

With any used car, the biggest issue is "How has it been maintained?". 355000 km is high, but if it has been driven the way I use my vehicles, this is no big deal. If the usage has been mainly long distances, you should probably get another 100 to 150000 km from the engine before needing rebuild. It all depends on what you have at the start and how it has been looked after.

Years ago, we had a 1985 TM Magna which we traded on a used TF Magna. The TM had 345000 km on it. I replaced the clutch at 330000 km because it developed a shudder (it was the anti-chatter springs collapsing). There was still a tad under 1 mm of fritcion material left on the plates though. Body wise, the car was in excellent condition and we had no trouble selling it privately. The dealer wouldn''t even offer us anything for a trade-in.

A clutch for the Pajero will cost around $1200 for parts. Labour extra of course unless you do it yourself. New rings and bearings are cheap. Gasket sets are pricey but overall, the cost of parts to rebuild the engine is not that great - probably less than one CRD injector.

Reliability of the petrol engines is good. They are well developed. Driveability of the petrol engine is far better than the diesel. I have a NW manual transmission, and in the city it is not nice to drive. ON the open road is a different story, and that is generally where my cars live.

Looking at the photos, the car looks OK. Obviously they will not show the scratches etc if they can avoid it, but generally it looks OK. It has been lifted. This suggests that maybe they used it in rough country. No big deal - check underneath for signs of damage etc. Does it have the original bashplates? If it does, maybe the car has not been through heavy stuff too often. Being a Tasmanian car, it could mean that the long trips were done on the mainland. Look up behind the rubber seal on the cargo door - you may find heaps of red dust there. The car seems to have been well detailed prior to the photos.

Check for rust on the top of the door frames. Check the exhaust system. Tasmania is normally a cold place, and if the car has done lots of short trips, the exhaust system will suffer because of acidic condensation build up inside it. If it is the original, maybe you can expect to replace it some time in the near future. No big deal, ju t be aware.

It should be relatively easy to get someone to weld on a threadolet to the exhaust so that the Oxygen sensor can be installed. Not too sure about running for 100000 km with the CEL on - I think that indicates a bit of a cowboy who owned it. I cannot see how the engine would work, other than by getting someone to remap the ECU. Check if this has been done. You may run into trouble getting registration if it is showing the CEL alight. If you go ahead with it, maybe disconnect the CEL bulb (I didn't say that!).

It probably wouldn't take much to get the car back to as new condition - not sure where you are, but Mitsfix in Melbourne is a clever guy with these things (no connection to him). It may be worth giving him a call to seek his opinion re service and pricing.

Comment

• wazznt
      • May 2015
      • Western Vic

Originally posted by Dunc the Punk View Post
      I'm thinking of purchasing a high mileage NS Pajero

Keen for a manual Pajero as the complex high pressure diesels scare me and auto fuel consumption is through the roof. Plus, manuals are soooo much more fun to drive.

Thoughts?

A couple of points

Fuel consumption of a diesel auto pajero is normally very good ,a petrol pajero is what I would call hungry.
      If your a gambler who wins more often than loose buy it ,if not run away very fast...
      NT Exceed ,almost stock .

Comment

• Dunc the Punk
        • Sep 2019
        • Tasmania

Thanks guys.

erad, that is gold info. The seller reckons its mainland kms. Much of it towing a caravan. I've on the North West coast of Tassie so this one is also convenient. Second owner. He got it at 80,000.

wazzut, yeah, I'm expecting highish consumption for the petrol vs diesel but the stories I've heard with fuel related failures on modern diesels makes me suspect it's cheaper in the long run for a petrol. Though, of course some would get lucky and have no problems with a DID.

Comment

• spot01
          Valued Member
          • Apr 2011
          • Adelaide

Is it possible to use a code reader on these cars to see what is really causing the CEL?

You should be able to reset the trip computer & drive it for a bit to see it's fuel consumption.

At these kms, a thorough inspection of overall mechanical condition should reveal if it is worth the risk or not, particularly engine (oil, smoke on cold start, clean inside the valve area - torch looking thru oil filler, engine noise hot & cold, trans fluid & shifting, all transfer settings & brakes. Inspect all fluids, check all electrics, etc.

Use the VIN to check on MMAL website that all recalls were done.

Does he have service records?

Looks like it has 18" wheels on it? Be aware these tyres cost more.
          Last edited by spot01; 09-11-19, 12:46 PM.
          Pajero NX MY21 GLS

Comment

• geopaj
            Valued Member
            • Jul 2007
            • Adelaide

Considering the clutch, engine fault light (and the owners response that they just ignored it for 100,000km doesn’t inspire confidence in their approach to maintenance!), and kms, it doesn’t seem all that cheap to me... a quick look on Gumtree and I found a few petrol NSs in the $8-10,000 range. Remember, at $6,800 with just the clutch parts you will be at $8k.
            Silver NT VRX Di-D

ARB bullbar | snorkel | Bushskinz & Boo’s guards | UltraGauge MX | 2" lift | Cooper AT3 LT's | dual battery | Superwinch X9 | 80ltr diesel tank | 22ltr water tank | aux trans cooler | MM Lockup Mate | GME UHF | locker/TC mod | SPV EGR | rear LED work light | rhino platform | ARB awning | rear drawers ... & plenty of scratches

My Build Thread - HERE

Previously - NL Pajero (now owned by Forum member 'Gemster')

Comment

• Seigried
              Valued Member
              • Apr 2016
              • brisbane

Check the cross members for scratches running from the front to the back of the vehicle (caused by driving deeper ruts with no plates underneath). Check the bottom of the gear box for the same. Check cross members for impact dents. Look at the latches for the third row seats (behind th covers) these can corode due to lots of beach work. Check jack handle for the same.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Comment

• drgtr
                • Sep 2019
                • Rosemeadow

Coming as a previous patrol td42ti owner and other patrols.
                We often buy high km examples no problems.

Im sure patrols are slightly more simple in design but not that much.

400 000kms td42 still fetch decent price and buyers out there buy with no hesitation and have many years of trouble free motoring driving as a daily and tourer.

Do the usual checks and if it works out and the price is right. You will be fine. All the best

Comment

• wazznt
                  • May 2015
                  • Western Vic

Originally posted by drgtr View Post
                  Coming as a previous patrol td42ti owner and other patrols.
                  We often buy high km examples no problems.

From my point of view I was questioning the assumptions made in the OP about petrol v diesel and auto v manual ,high kms were not the issue.
                  And other issues with that one in particular.
                  Last edited by wazznt; 10-11-19, 10:22 AM.
                  NT Exceed ,almost stock .

Comment

• drgtr
                    • Sep 2019
                    • Rosemeadow

Originally posted by wazznt View Post
                    From my point of view I was questioning the assumptions made in the OP about petrol v diesel and auto v manual ,high kms were not the issue.
                    And other issues with that one in particular.
                    And thats fine. I wasnt directing at you anyway.

Was reassuring him/her that I seen many high km cars that were in good condition.

Comment

• brw0513
                      • Apr 2018
                      • Brisbane

I would be a little wary of 355k without good servicing records. But such high km on a medium age vehicle is consistent with highway work. The Gen II Pajeros with the 6G74 petrol engine variant seem to hover around 250k in the for sale ads.

Could you get an OBDII scanner to check codes?

The Cooper tyres are a positive in my mind. They suggest to me someone was very interested in getting tyres to last a long time on the bitumen.
                      Ian B
                      1998 NL SWB 6G74 Manual

Comment

• Ky1e
                        • Aug 2015
                        • Muswellbrook

My biggest concern... old mate's spelling in the ad.... wow

Comment

• Jasonmc73
                          Valued Member
                          • Jun 2019
                          • Brisbane

Originally posted by Ky1e View Post
                          I bet ya Bill Shorton couldn't spell
                          Mitsubishi Pajero NX MY16 GLS with Sand Grabba floor mats, Ultragauge, Automate & Paddle gear shifters with Vlads traction control mod, Nautia switch panel, ARB compressor, Redarc Tow Pro, Anderson plug, Bushskinz front & rear alloy plates, Kaon light duty cargo barrier & rear door table

Comment

• Dunc the Punk
                            • Sep 2019
                            • Tasmania

I'm heading to Hobart tomorrow to take a look. A REVs check confirms he is the second owner since 70,000 (which is what he told me). I've got a OBD2 reader which I will take with me for the CEL. He reckons he has got log books until 200,000 and then he serviced himself. He worked at a mechanical workshop.

@geopaj, yeah I agree, it's not a bargain. He told me he could give it to me for $6,300. Repco can supply a clutch kit for $700.

Comment

• Dunc the Punk
                              • Sep 2019
                              • Tasmania

Originally posted by Ky1e View Post

The ad was posted for a friend. When I rang up I quickly detected English was not his first language. I got the owner's number who sounds much more Aussie. I suspect computers are not the owner's forte.

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X