• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • glsgls
    Valued Member
    • Dec 2007

up size ??

hi all, I am thinking of going up one tyre size on my nx , currently on 265/60/18 looking at 265/65/18 bfg ko2 , will it be worth it, will have to modifier spare wheel carrier and lifted spare wheel adapter will it play havoc with the auto gear box
  • old Jack
    Regular
    • Jun 2011
    • Adelaide, South Australia.

Upsizing a profile is very common and it is only about a 3% change to gearing so unless you were towing heavy then the change in gear will be only slightly noticable.
    From memory there was a 6% final diff ratio change from 3.917 to 3.692 part way through the NX range, MY16?? Not sure if they changed the AT gearbox program or not, Marshall from MM4x4 will be able to tell you.

Changing from HT tyre's to a heavy 10ply rated and aggressive tread AT like BFG, you will notice a slight increase in fuel consumption, a decrease in on road handling particular in the wet, an increase in tyre noise especially as they wear, an increase in ride harshness and decrease in suspension performance particularly on corrugated roads due to the increase in unsprung weight especially if you have factory suspension. But you will gain increase off bitumen traction and an increase in reliability off road as they are a much stronger and robust tyre.

There is also a selection of extra load passenger construction tyre's with a milder AT tread pattern, milder tread pattern 10ply rated and more aggressive tread patterned 10ply tyre's. Below is a selection;

BFG AT KO2 122 10 ply. LT construction.
    BFG ATKO2 117 8ply LT construction.
    Cooper ST Maxx 122 10 ply LT construction
    Cooper AT3 LT 122 10 ply LT construction
    Mickey Thompson All Terrain 38 114 extra load passenger construction
    Falken Wildpeak AT3W 114 extra load passenger construction.
    Hankook Dynapro AT2 RF11 114 extra load passenger construction
    Hankook ATM RF10 112 passenger construction
    Pirelli Scorpion AT Plus 114 extra load passenger construction.
    Yokahama Geolander GO15 114 extra load passenger construction.

Lots to consider before buying 5 tyre's that you have to live with for the next 50,000 to 100,000kms.

OJ.
    Last edited by old Jack; 06-11-19, 08:57 PM.
    2011 PB Base White Auto, Smartbar, Cooper STMaxx LT235/85R-16,TPMS, HR TB, 3 x Bushskinz, front +40mm Dobinson , rear +50mm EHDVR Lovells, Dobinson MT struts and shockers, Peddars 5899 cone springs, Windcheater rack, GME UHF, Custom alloy drawer system inc. 30lt Engel & 2 x 30 AH LiFePo batteries + elec controls, Tailgate hi-lift/long struts, Phillips +100 LB & HB, Lightforce 20" single row driving beam LED lightbar, Scanguage II.
    MM4x4 Auto Mate, Serial No 1 .

Comment

• glsgls
      Valued Member
      • Dec 2007

thanks oj for the in-depth brake down I have had bfg ko2 on the paj for about 2 years now been happy with them and you are wright about ride comfort when you up grade suspension to tjm or simular it becomes abit harsh so going up 1 size would not make any difference in ride quality thank again

Comment

• spot01
        Valued Member
        • Apr 2011
        • Adelaide

Originally posted by glsgls View Post
        thanks oj for the in-depth brake down I have had bfg ko2 on the paj for about 2 years now been happy with them and you are wright about ride comfort when you up grade suspension to tjm or simular it becomes abit harsh so going up 1 size would not make any difference in ride quality thank again
        If simply going to a higher profile in the same tyre, ride should improve, unless it is a stronger/higher load rating, etc.

Whether it is worthwhile depends on what improvements you are trying to achieve by changing the profile?
        Pajero NX MY21 GLS

Comment

• glsgls
          Valued Member
          • Dec 2007

mainly ride comfit when towing of road because as they are 18' imo you cant air down as much unlike 16' 17 ' it might just be that my ko2 are near the end of there live I am not getting as nicer ride as if they had abit more tread on them thanks

Comment

• old Jack
            Regular
            • Jun 2011
            • Adelaide, South Australia.

All tyres get harder and noisier as they age and the tread wears down, and this is why you generally get glowing review of new tyres because people are comparing new and old particularly if they are different brands and models. Rarely does someone have the chance to drive on new tyres back to back to do a true comparison.

OJ.
            2011 PB Base White Auto, Smartbar, Cooper STMaxx LT235/85R-16,TPMS, HR TB, 3 x Bushskinz, front +40mm Dobinson , rear +50mm EHDVR Lovells, Dobinson MT struts and shockers, Peddars 5899 cone springs, Windcheater rack, GME UHF, Custom alloy drawer system inc. 30lt Engel & 2 x 30 AH LiFePo batteries + elec controls, Tailgate hi-lift/long struts, Phillips +100 LB & HB, Lightforce 20" single row driving beam LED lightbar, Scanguage II.
            MM4x4 Auto Mate, Serial No 1 .

Comment

• glsgls
              Valued Member
              • Dec 2007

OJ you are absolutely wright, now i just have to make my mind up what to do

Comment

• Robuck
                • May 2015
                • Brisbane

Doesn't play havoc with the auto but you do notice it.

I have 275 70 17....818 dia. I like the extra height gained and will be putting a MM automate on soon so that will fix my grips with the auto.

Comment

• cruisn06
                  Valued Member
                  • Jan 2011
                  • Perth WA

Originally posted by glsgls View Post
                  hi all, I am thinking of going up one tyre size on my nx , currently on 265/60/18 looking at 265/65/18 bfg ko2 , will it be worth it, will have to modifier spare wheel carrier and lifted spare wheel adapter will it play havoc with the auto gear box
                  I run the bf all terrains in the heavy 122 weight range, they are amazing for taking side wall damage. not one sidewall puncture and they are torn to bits.

As for the auto it wont lock up at 100...in other countries where you can do 120 and such it will be fine. I have the lock up kit from lockup mate. locked from second gear on and zero issues.

you will not have to modify the spare carrier or anything. fits quite nicely.

My take- Worth every penny
                  07 Mitsubishi Pajero Shorty - Currently rolling around... Parked in Armenia for the moment

Insta: https://www.instagram.com/wrongturnadventure/

Comment

• wazznt
                    • May 2015
                    • Western Vic

I recently changed from 265 60 18 HT to Hankook Dynapro AT2 (RF11)265 65 18 AT ,ride quality has improved a bit and the stiffer side walls elimated the swaying I was getting with the lower rating tyres ,fuel consumption seems to have gone backwards by about 1ltr per 100 {probably to be expected changing to AT}but I havent done a lot of ks to know for certain.
                    Speedo is closer to accurate now so thats a plus ,living in Pricktoria where a few ks over the speed limit might mean loosing points and walking.
                    NT Exceed ,almost stock .

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X