• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • murphs-diesel
    • Aug 2013
    • arthurs creek VIC

Nm Pajero 3.5 petrol starts dies then won't start till next day

Hi all if someone could shed some light on this issue it would be great.

So I did new heads on the paj, 6g75 cams, new timing belt, 6g75 lower intake manifold and injectors and rpw 63mm throttle body. Changed camshaft pickup to suit the 74, all installed and ready togo, engine will fire and run for a second then die and that's it, if you try to crank it again all it does is turn over. After a couple of hours it will do the same thing. Start die then just turn over.
    Have checked spark at all coils, have checked crank and camshaft sensors both reading fine and fuel pump relays all kicking in when required, no codes in ecm.

Has me absolutely stumped.
    Any help would be greatly appreciated.
    Thanks
    Murph
    01 NM GLX 3.5 V6 5 SPD manual...
    K&n air filter
    10w40 Lube assist oil
    2" Pedders lift kit, 265/70R16 Maxxis bravo at's
    60lt Engel dual batteries ARB bullbar 9500 warn winch.
    32 and 42 inch light bars, led interior lights..
    Digital engine temp gauge, snorkel, wind deflectors..
    Redback headers 100cpi stainless cat and 26mm radiator.
    Kings 2.5mt awning, kings rooftop bag and recovery kit.

Loving the extra lowdown torque!!!
    Love my Pajero!!
  • bsperka
    • Jan 2013
    • Carindale

Remember to think FAST:
    Fuel
    Air
    Spark
    Timing
    Can you hear the fuel pump running? You'll have nearly be on top of it, or listen via the filler.
    You're getting air, as the engine is cranking, and nothing has been done to lose compression.
    You have spark.
    You've been working around the timing, so I'd start there and double check. Timing may be out.

I fixed a transfer case chain once, and the fuel pump died between starts!!! Back to the parts store (ebay) for a new pump.

Comment

• murphs-diesel
      • Aug 2013
      • arthurs creek VIC

Originally posted by bsperka View Post
      Remember to think FAST:
      Fuel
      Air
      Spark
      Timing
      Can you hear the fuel pump running? You'll have nearly be on top of it, or listen via the filler.
      You're getting air, as the engine is cranking, and nothing has been done to lose compression.
      You have spark.
      You've been working around the timing, so I'd start there and double check. Timing may be out.

I fixed a transfer case chain once, and the fuel pump died between starts!!! Back to the parts store (ebay) for a new pump.

Yeah can hear the fuel pump and relays activating as you turn the motor by hand, have checked the timing as I thought that at first also but it's all correct, has sh*t to s of compression when trying to turn it over... It has everything it needs to run but just won't hahaha
      K&n air filter
      10w40 Lube assist oil

Love my Pajero!!

Comment

• erad
        Valued Member
        • Mar 2015
        • Cooma NSW

1 Immobiliser? My guess is that somewhere along the line it is a fuel problem. Immobiliser is one cause for this - if it is saying "no go", then the injectors won't fire.

2 What about the return fuel line to the tank? If it is blocked, you will get pressures which are too high. If the pressure is too high, you will probably smell fuel at the exhaust.

3 Air/Fuel meter: Is it connected? Is it working properly?

4 Leaking fuel injector(s)? If there is too much fuel, the engine will not fire. Eventually, the fuel will dissipate and for a while the mixtures will be within range and the engine will fire.

5 A real oddball: My NL Pajero had an acoustic dampener off the side of the plastic air duct between the air filter and the throttle body. There is an insert in that which somehow came loose. When the engine started, the insert would lift up, choking the airflow and driving everything over-rich. Engine stopped, insert fell back into place, engine fired up again OK. That took a clever mechanic (not me) ages to find.

6 Cam Angle Sensor? Since you have a 6G75 engine (presumably from a 380), you have had to make up a bracket etc for the cam angle sensor. Is that system working OK?

Comment

• disco stu
          Valued Member
          • Dec 2018
          • Wollongong

It's not something like the sock at the bottom of fuel pump pick up blocked is it?

Comment

• murphs-diesel
            • Aug 2013
            • arthurs creek VIC

Originally posted by erad View Post
            1 Immobiliser? My guess is that somewhere along the line it is a fuel problem. Immobiliser is one cause for this - if it is saying "no go", then the injectors won't fire.

2 What about the return fuel line to the tank? If it is blocked, you will get pressures which are too high. If the pressure is too high, you will probably smell fuel at the exhaust.

3 Air/Fuel meter: Is it connected? Is it working properly?

4 Leaking fuel injector(s)? If there is too much fuel, the engine will not fire. Eventually, the fuel will dissipate and for a while the mixtures will be within range and the engine will fire.

5 A real oddball: My NL Pajero had an acoustic dampener off the side of the plastic air duct between the air filter and the throttle body. There is an insert in that which somehow came loose. When the engine started, the insert would lift up, choking the airflow and driving everything over-rich. Engine stopped, insert fell back into place, engine fired up again OK. That took a clever mechanic (not me) ages to find.

6 Cam Angle Sensor? Since you have a 6G75 engine (presumably from a 380), you have had to make up a bracket etc for the cam angle sensor. Is that system working OK?

1. I was starting to think imobilizer myself after a bit of reading in here.

2. Return line doesn't appear to be holding fuel pressure when I took the clamp and hose off

3.it was working when I pulled the car apart, they will normally run but not rev when it's disconnected.

4. I put new injectors in thinking it was the initial issue also but still no good.

5. I'll check that out later

6. It's just a 6g74 with 6g75 cams in it, I used the original camshaft sensor and pickup that is also all working.

Discostu- it doesnt seem so as I have plenty of fuel in the lines and rail.
            K&n air filter
            10w40 Lube assist oil

Love my Pajero!!

Comment

• murphs-diesel
              • Aug 2013
              • arthurs creek VIC

Ok guys I finally worked it out... was Due to my own stupidity and ignorance... So you can run the 380 6g75 cams which are apparently the same profile as the ralliart or vrx cams.. everything mounts the same use the Pajero cam pickup, even the cam drive gears are the same.

Now the kicker, looking from the front of the engine the right hand cam can use the factory Pajero timing marks, to time the left hand bank you have to use the timing marks for the 380.. this was my problem without thinking and being late at night when i installed them I wasnt thinking.

You live and learn I suppose.. but now it is all up and running.. gotta take it for a drive tomorrow and see how or if these upgrades have done anything for it....

Murph
              K&n air filter
              10w40 Lube assist oil

Love my Pajero!!

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
              Working...
              X