• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Lazarus
    Valued Member
    • Jan 2008
    • Melbourne, Western suburbs

Guys from 4x4 adventure show use normal towball and they tow trailers in some of the most inhospitable places in Oz.

Like most of us I watch their show and never saw any issues with standard ball hitch they use.

Maybe we all are overthinking this a bit?
    NW 2014 MY14 GLX-R, auto, BushSkinz bashplates, Pedders TrakRyder foam cell 2' lift, Falken AT3W LT, Rhino Pioneer 6 platform, flip key, Redarc BCDC40 and 135 amps lithium battery, Torque Pro OBD, EVC Throttle controller, ARB Compressor, LED lights (internal and outside), Uniden UHF, ARB Frontier 128L long range fuel tank.

Comment

• Dicko1
      Valued Member
      • Dec 2014
      • Cairns, FNQ

Originally posted by Lazarus View Post
      Guys from 4x4 adventure show use normal towball and they tow trailers in some of the most inhospitable places in Oz.

Like most of us I watch their show and never saw any issues with standard ball hitch they use.

Maybe we all are overthinking this a bit?

They tow MDC trailers which would use the Alko 50mm receiver. They also have custom made toy hauler trailers that would use the new ALKO 50mm ball hitch...a very different beast from the old 50mm receiver you see on many road vans and trailers. These hitches can use the standard 50mm (which is legally stamped with the weight limit) but the receiver is a highly engineered piece capable of handling off road conditions...something your normal 50mm ball and common receiver would be struggling to do.
      Dicko. FNQ

2014 NW with all the usual stuff plus more.

TIME....1000 times more valuable than money

Comment

• glsgls
        Valued Member
        • Dec 2007

oz hitch for me to,much better than a tregg imo trailer sits level and I can open the back door thumbs up

Comment

• Scrambler
          • Jul 2018
          • Toowoomba, Qld

Can't comment on door opening but re getting the height right to hitch and unhitch: our van came with a swinging jockey wheel and a removable one. A bit of muck around at times but can do any sane height by swapping between the jockey wheels.

As an answer to the original q, thats my suggestion.
          =-( Sadly bought back: 99 NL Shortie. In a-peeling blue
          =-) Happily replaced by: 98 NL LWB Diesel

Comment

• Mundy55
            Valued Member
            • Nov 2015
            • Gold Coast

I tow a camper trailer which weighs 1.4T fully loaded. I initially installed an Ozhitch and was at first very happy with it. Easy to hitch without a second person, easy to unhitch. However, the plastic bushes are a wearing part and must be lubricated occasionally to minimise this. You then end up with a hitching pin which is covered in black grease with the hitch becoming progressively messy and you not being able to avoid getting black grease on your hands (and knees if you bump into it).

I then changed to a Mchitch auto coupler which is even easier to hitch an unhitch, without the shortcomings of the Ozhitch.

I could open the rear door with both hitches connected (but trailer handbrake off), with a non lifted vehicle or spare wheel.

So for me, both hitches are good, but the Mchitch is better.

Comment

• Lazarus
              Valued Member
              • Jan 2008
              • Melbourne, Western suburbs

Dicko thanks for reply.
              I jst paused couple of scenes from their shows where towball and hitch system is visible.
              To me, that look like a normal everyday towball.
              NW 2014 MY14 GLX-R, auto, BushSkinz bashplates, Pedders TrakRyder foam cell 2' lift, Falken AT3W LT, Rhino Pioneer 6 platform, flip key, Redarc BCDC40 and 135 amps lithium battery, Torque Pro OBD, EVC Throttle controller, ARB Compressor, LED lights (internal and outside), Uniden UHF, ARB Frontier 128L long range fuel tank.

Comment

• Axis
                Valued Member
                • Jul 2011
                • Highett Vic

We have a Treg on the camper. The hitch is not an issue opening the door but the handbrake sticks up even when off. Usually only an issue on uneven ground. Lift helps.

With 2 of us hitching up is simple, solo it can be a pain even with reverse camera as you need to get the jockey height just right.

Just spent 2 weeks away with a mate who has a DO35 on his camper. Pretty impressed but expensive - I'll have to put up with getting in and out a couple of times I think for the time being.
                07 NS DiD GLX Manual, Alloy Bullbar, 2" lift, Bilstein shocks, King Springs, Kumho MT51, Oricom UHF088, Prodigy P2 Brake Controller, Airtec Snorkel, Bushskinz Intercooler Guard, Boo's Sump and Tansmission Bash Plates

Comment

• Brownie
                  • Nov 2008
                  • Brisbane

Originally posted by mrbitchi View Post
                  I use a Mchitch Auto Coupler. Best thing since sliced bread

Mr Bitchi, is the McHitch auto coupler difficult to get the height correct? I would imagine it is easy to do on a hard level surface - put a mark on the jockey wheel, and reverse the vehicle up to the trailer. But on uneven ground, is it a two person operation to set the height correctly with the jockey wheel, to get it to align with the receiver on the vehicle?
                  Sold Pajero NS R SWB 2008
                  Replaced with a 2018 Mazda BT50

Comment

• mrbitchi
                    Valued Member
                    • Jun 2007
                    • Brisbane

Originally posted by Brownie View Post
                    Mr Bitchi, is the McHitch auto coupler difficult to get the height correct? I would imagine it is easy to do on a hard level surface - put a mark on the jockey wheel, and reverse the vehicle up to the trailer. But on uneven ground, is it a two person operation to set the height correctly with the jockey wheel, to get it to align with the receiver on the vehicle?
                    2 people makes it easier, but for one person just back up to within a few inches of it (easy with a reversing camera) hop out and adjust the height, then reverse back. Easy with a bit of practice.
                    Cheers, John.
                    LC200 V8 goodness

MY12 LC200 GXL 4.5Lt V8 twin turbo, GVM upgrade, ARB bar, Warn winch, Outback Acc rear bar and dual carrier, TJM sidesteps, Bushskinz, Long Ranger 180Lt tank, Black Widow drawers, cargo barrier, Polaris Awning, +++
                    Ex - NM auto, 2"Kings, Bilsteins, Buckshots, Wildcat headers, 2.75" Mandrel bent exhaust, Injected LPG, Smartbar, Scraper bar, Bushskinz, Custom steps, Dual Batteries, Breathers, Black Widow drawers, Polaris Awning.

Comment

• CptStinky
                      • Mar 2019
                      • Upper Coomera

Another vote for the McHitch. I like how I can use the universal joint to move the receiver up and away. The safety mechanism with screw down as well as pin lock adds confidence.

Comment

• symo
                        • Jan 2012
                        • Brisvegas

Running an ALKO hitch , it’s awesome.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

• Poita
                          Valued Member
                          • Sep 2010
                          • Adelaide

Recently bought the new Al-ko 3.5t offroad pin hitch. It's awesome. So easy to use and extremely low profile.
                          NW VRX MY2013
                          Jonny Tig FMIC, 3" Exhaust, RalliArt remap, Provent, FuelManager, CouplerTec rust protection, ARB bar, Runva winch, TJM Snorkel, Bilstein/Lovell/Airbags, full Bushskins kit, Asfir AC+fuel, Fyrlyt Nemesis 9000 spotties + LED headlights, Uniden UHF, RedArc TowPro Elite, BRC breathers, Honda sprayers, Automate lockup/paddles, Rhino platform/backbone

Comment

• Greg Grey Grumbly
                            • Aug 2012
                            • Brisbane, Southside

Yes Iuse the Alko , it’s a good solid off-road hitch that retains the 50mm ball so its universal across everything I tow. I drilled a hole across the slide up locking mechanism to accept a pin Sosa to hold it in the unlocked position, as I found it irritating that it does not have an unlocked position for hooking up.

But it’s a good bread and butter hitch
                            Greg Grey Grumbly

2018 QE Pajero Sport GLS, Factory Accessories: Alloy Bull Bar, Tow Bar, Underbody Protection, Aftermarket: Uniden CB, Redarc Electric Brake Controller, Bushman Cooler, Rhino Roof Bars; Full Tint, OCAM Extendable Tow Mirrors, Fridge Tie Down Racks, Kickass Battery Box with Projecta DC DC charger, King KCRS-23 with the Peddars 5899 bump stops, Almac Boat Loader, Almac Outboard Slide, Provent catch can, More to come
                            Tows a 2015 Billabong Grove 186

Comment

• Having Fun
                              • Jun 2015
                              • Adelaide

We currently have an OZ Hitch, it's good. Previously had a poly block hitch. It was OK, but the Oz hitch is easier to use IMO.

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X