• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ITW
    • Aug 2016
    • Norway

Surging brakes and vibration

Hi

My 2010 Pajero have some kind of trouble with the braked but I cant find out what.

If I'm driving slowly I can feel the brakes pumping like it's braking and than letting go a little than braking again, and I'm holding the pedal steady.
    If I'm driving with more speed it vibrates and it feels like it's coming from the back of the car, but the whole car shakes when I'm breaking.
    The more I break in speed the worse it gets.

I changed out the disks and pads in the back but no help.
    I thought it could be some bushings but since its at slow speed is almost surging I don't think so.

Any ideas?
    My Youtube channel with excavators and repairs
    Youtube.com/minimachines1
  • Seigried
    Valued Member
    • Apr 2016
    • brisbane

Do you have all the brake clips and shims on your brake pads?

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

Comment

• ITW
      • Aug 2016
      • Norway

I think so, I changed the pads my self, and did only put on what was there from before when I changed it, but the problem was there from before I changed it so could have been something missing already.

Any drawing on what should have been there I could look at?
      My Youtube channel with excavators and repairs
      Youtube.com/minimachines1

Comment

• jjacer
        • Nov 2011
        • Brisbane

It's not your anti slip control activating is it? I currently have a big problem with my ASC which activates for no apparent reason. This all started after I had the battery replaced.
        Perhaps turn off ASC by pressing the button left side lower dash below the steering wheel and see if it stops.
        I have yet to find anyone who can reset mine for me, even Mitsubishi themselves couldn't do anything with it so now I have to switch off ASC everytime I drive - ridiculous situation.

Comment

• Peterng
          Valued Member
          • Jun 2013
          • Northern Rivers NSW

Originally posted by jjacer View Post
          It's not your anti slip control activating is it? I currently have a big problem with my ASC which activates for no apparent reason. This all started after I had the battery replaced.
          Perhaps turn off ASC by pressing the button left side lower dash below the steering wheel and see if it stops.
          I have yet to find anyone who can reset mine for me, even Mitsubishi themselves couldn't do anything with it so now I have to switch off ASC everytime I drive - ridiculous situation.
          I know this might seen strange..try another different brand of cranking battery and see what occurs..

Comment

• Stacho
            • Apr 2018
            • Perth

Hi. I’ve got the exact same problem. There’s another thread on this (can’t find it now) and one of the suggestions was uneven build up of glazing on the disc from gentle braking. One suggestion was to burn that off with some repeated 2/3 applications of heavy braking at higher speeds. I’m going to give it a shot this weekend actually.

Comment

• davwal
              • Jan 2019
              • Ringwood

Bizarre, I put this down to warped front discs, not sure now that you all seem to have this issue. Will be watching this.

Dave_W

Comment

• GHendo
                Valued Member
                • Mar 2012
                • Northern NSW

Originally posted by Stacho View Post
                Hi. I’ve got the exact same problem. There’s another thread on this (can’t find it now) and one of the suggestions was uneven build up of glazing on the disc from gentle braking. One suggestion was to burn that off with some repeated 2/3 applications of heavy braking at higher speeds. I’m going to give it a shot this weekend actually.
                You're probably talking about the thread I started ...

Geoff
                03 NP Manual Di-D Exceed, 2" lift, Dobinsons Springs, Lovells Shocks, ORU Winch, ARB Bullbar, Scott's Rods 3" Exhaust, ARB Compressor, Rear Air Locker, Cooper S/T Maxx, Hella Rallye 4000 S/Lights, Pioneer AVH-X5850BT DVD/Tuner w/- Reversing Camera, Sensa Tyre monitor, Uniden UH8080NB UHF, Rhino Platform Roof Rack, Hema HN-7 GPS, Engine Watchdog, CouplerTec, CTEK D250S DC-DC Charger, Snorkel, Towbar.

Comment

• Stacho
                  • Apr 2018
                  • Perth

Correct! Thank you sir!

Comment

• spot01
                    Valued Member
                    • Apr 2011
                    • Adelaide

Unsure, but a couple of thoughts:
                    - have you flushed & bled the brake fluid?
                    - have you checked the wheel bearings?
                    - are the wheels & tyres in good condition & balanced recently, with even wear & same tyres all round?
                    Pajero NX MY21 GLS

Comment

• jjacer
                      • Nov 2011
                      • Brisbane

Originally posted by Peterng View Post
                      I know this might seen strange..try another different brand of cranking battery and see what occurs..
                      Thanks for the idea but mate I've had the exact same battery from RACQ 3 times previously with no dramas.
                      Mitsubishi started their usual " we'll start replacing everything in a process of elimination at your expense and you'll end up thousands out of pocket and still have the same issue you started with" but logically the issue started with the "technician" using some weird electronic box connected to the UBD2 port instead of the usual power supply plugged into the 12v lighter socket - seems to have caused a problem with the ECU.
                      Either way I'm stuck with trying to sort a very annoying and potentially dangerous issue due to a so called expert screwing up my Pajero doing something as simple as a battery change.

Comment

• spot01
                        Valued Member
                        • Apr 2011
                        • Adelaide

Originally posted by jjacer View Post
                        Thanks for the idea but mate I've had the exact same battery from RACQ 3 times previously with no dramas.
                        Mitsubishi started their usual " we'll start replacing everything in a process of elimination at your expense and you'll end up thousands out of pocket and still have the same issue you started with" but logically the issue started with the "technician" using some weird electronic box connected to the UBD2 port instead of the usual power supply plugged into the 12v lighter socket - seems to have caused a problem with the ECU.
                        Either way I'm stuck with trying to sort a very annoying and potentially dangerous issue due to a so called expert screwing up my Pajero doing something as simple as a battery change.
                        Simple things first:
                        Have you tried disconnecting the battery for 5 minutes, then re-connect? The front wheels MUST be straight ahead when doing this (or changing the battery).
                        Pajero NX MY21 GLS

Comment

• Peterng
                          Valued Member
                          • Jun 2013
                          • Northern Rivers NSW

Surging brakes and vibration

The technician would have used a aux battery and connected your vehicle up to it whilst he was changing the battery..this is to limit vehicle aux systems from losing their settings...ie auto set radio stations and blue tooth settings..
                          As others have said..disconnect your battery completely..hold and touch the pos & neg leads together for a good 60sec..this resets the MAA factory settings for all the OEM electronic components..sort of a reboot..if you have aux items ie plug n play engine ecm mod..it might be best to disconnect it entirely.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

• BruceandBobbi
                            Valued Member
                            • Aug 2016
                            • Greater Sydney

The technician should would have used a aux battery and connected your vehicle up to it whilst he was changing the battery..

Fixed it for you Peter.

Comment

• spot01
                              Valued Member
                              • Apr 2011
                              • Adelaide

The technician would have used a aux battery and connected your vehicle up to it whilst he was changing the battery..this is to limit vehicle aux systems from losing their settings...ie auto set radio stations and blue tooth settings..
                              As others have said..disconnect your battery completely..hold and touch the pos & neg leads together for a good 60sec..this resets the MAA factory settings for all the OEM electronic components..sort of a reboot..if you have aux items ie plug n play engine ecm mod..it might be best to disconnect it entirely.

Radio stations, bluetooth, etc. have never been reset when I have removed the battery lead on my Gen 4 Pajeros. They use the jumper battery to preserve the ECU & auto trans settings, but in this case we want to reset the ECU.

Never heard of having to touch the leads together on a car to reset the ECU - never had to do this myself & would be wary of doing it with so much expensive electronics connected to it. I certainly wouldn't do it if the car has a second battery or other power source. I simply leave the negative lead off the battery for 5 minutes (as per the workshop manual for many cars).
                              Pajero NX MY21 GLS

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X