• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Winston_NJ
    • May 2015
    • Broadmeadows

Snatch attachment for easy access

Hi all I've noticed in a few videos and photos that some drivers keep their snatch attached to the front tow point and run it up over the bar and attach to the roof rack presumably for easy access. Are there negatives to doing this and also is there a particular way of attaching it to your racks?
  • RUGGA
    Valued Member
    • Nov 2014
    • Adelaide

I think you will find they are only doing this when out on a track they know might need the use of a snatch. Better to have it set up and ready rather than kneeling in the mud, trying to attach it when it's too late.
    02 NM 3.2, Auto, Exceed, I/C and sump guards, L&B 2" lift, 265/75/16 OPAT2.

Comment

• Winston_NJ
      • May 2015
      • Broadmeadows

Yeah I basically figured that but was just wondering for an upcoming trip if I was to do it are there any cons or dangers with having it in place and also what the smartest way is to attach it on my racks.

Comment

• Dicko1
        Valued Member
        • Dec 2014
        • Cairns, FNQ

I think a better way would be to have a short strap connected to BOTH front recovery points and ready to use. Pulling a vehicle with attachment to just the one point is not a smart thing to do. I have one and it is about 6-8 foot with eyes either end. Same as a tree trunk protector. Just tie it up neatly to bulbar when not in use.
        Dicko. FNQ

2014 NW with all the usual stuff plus more.

TIME....1000 times more valuable than money

Comment

• Tuba
          • Feb 2015
          • Qld

Sunlight ruins them so keep that in mind. They need to be stored out of sunlight. Personally I would only do it after Ive needed it, and its covered in mud/wet. Not that its a vampire and will burst into flames if left in the sun for an hour or two, but done regularly, I wonder how much it will shorten their life. Theory is they only have 'X' amount of snatches in them in the first place....hmmmm so if snatched off often, then it probably in the end cant harm them to leave them there. Im fairly sure I read they need to be replaced after about 10 recoveries but of course that would depend on all the circumstances.

Comment

• seadie
            • Jun 2012
            • darwin

I have watched some rather amusing you tube clips where people have attached the snatch strap to the recovery point of their vehicle and put the other end of the strap inside the car (with the door open then jump in and close the door) meaning they have to open the door to retreive the strap for a recovery once they are stuck in meter deep water... yeah dont do that
            MY05 NP DID GLS,Custom Front&Rear Bars,Custom Side Steps,EWX Runva Winch,2"lift (Bilsteins&Lovells), Rear Polys,Chip-It Chip with EGT Gauge,Beaudesert Exhaust System, 285/75R16 BFG KM2's,Allied Rims, Custom False Floor & MSA Drop Slide, 80Lt Engel, Safari Snorkel,Rally 4000 HID's,Baja Designs 20" LED Light Bar,Bushskinz Intercooler,Sump&Tranny Plates,4.3 Ratio Diffs,Diff,Tranny&Transfer Breather Kit, Dual Battery System in seat well,ARB Compressor,Cross country TMIC,NM 4M41

Comment

• Winston_NJ
              • May 2015
              • Broadmeadows

Hahaha valid point but mine leaks profusely anyway. Discovered this recently while I had it in short term parking in a dam at my in laws....

Comment

• Winston_NJ
                • May 2015
                • Broadmeadows

Ok now the age old argument about the "recovery point" drivers front on the NJ. Has anyone actually come to a conclusion about the safety of using it for snatching?

Comment

• Roach
                  • Nov 2013
                  • Cairns

Try make sure it is clean or put a rag under it where it's touching your bonnet/bumper etc or u will loose some paint from rubbing
                  Swb nh import 3.0 v6 5spd man, ralliart, lifted, locked and charged on 37" creepys!!

Comment

• conquistador
                    Valued Member
                    • Feb 2012
                    • sth east queensland

Originally posted by Roach View Post
                    Try make sure it is clean or put a rag under it where it's touching your bonnet/bumper etc or u will loose some paint from rubbing
                    Good point.

most likely to be after being stuck and the likely hood of more trouble in front is high. Once bitten I guess.

Youd have to balance the risk of it catching on scrub and reefing the roof rack off or taking some of the interior with it.

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X