• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • skyehelmsman
    • Feb 2020
    • MELBOURNE

Central diff light

Help
    Driving my new NX Pajero on the freeway yesterday the central differential orange light started coming on it and itmade a strange noise.

I put into four-wheel-drive to see if that made a difference but it came back again, no noise though.

I will call the Mitsubishi dealer but I wanted with anyone had any ideas.
    Bit of a worry in new car
    Thanks
  • Keithyv
    Valued Member
    • May 2018
    • Perth

Just to be clear, you were driving in 2H (NOT 4HLC) when the noise started?
    What was the state of the centre diff light before the noise? Off I assume?
    2014 NW MY14 3.2 DID GLX-R Auto. Champagne in colour!
    MM Lockup mate. King KCRS-35 rear springs. Monroe Gas Magnum TDT rear shocks. 3M color stable tint all round. Spare wheel lift kit. 'Dynamat' in all doors and rear cargo area. Pioneer AVH-Z5150BT Head Unit. Upgraded Speakers. Rear (2nd row) USB outlet. Factory nudge bar with LED light bar. Provent catch can. LED interior lights. Rear cargo area twin Andersons and Merit socket. Anderson plug in rear bumper. 6 channel TPMS.

Comment

• skyehelmsman
      • Feb 2020
      • MELBOURNE

Yep
      2 h,then changed to 4 h and back

Comment

• nj swb
        Resident
        • Jun 2007
        • Adelaide

skyehelmsman,

This is a great forum, with a lot of clever people with a lot of knowledge who want to help. But we can't help without accurate information.

The transfer case is a relatively simple system, but has four different modes of operation, involving 10 different switches and an electric motor. There is also a vacuum operated actuator alongside the front diff. Failure of any one of these can make the center diff light flash.

Help us to help you. Please provide more detailed information. This isn't Twitter, we're not limited by how much we can post - tell us what happened. By the numbers.

1. You were driving in 2H and the centre light came on and you heard a strange noise. Correct?

1a. In 2H, on the dash, only the two rear wheel lights should have been on. Is this what you had? Or did you have the front green lights flashing?
        1b. When the centre light came on, did all other lights go off, or were others on / flashing?

2. Can you describe the noise a little better? Was it a whistle, whine, beeping, loud rapid knocking / ratcheting noise, or something else?

3. When you changed to 4H, the noise went away but the centre diff light remained flashing. Correct?

3a. In 4H, were any other green lights on while the centre diff light was still flashing?

4. After the noise went away in 4H, and you changed back to 2H, did the noise return or not?

Help us to help you.
        NT Platinum. DiD Auto with 265/70R17 ST Maxx, Lift, Lockers, Lockup Mate, Low range reduction, LRA Aux tank, bull bar, winch, lots of touring stuff. Flappy paddles. MMCS is gone!

Project: NJ SWB. 285/75R16 ST Maxx, 2" OME suspension, 2" body lift, ARB 110, 120l tank, bullbar, scratches, no major dents. Fully engineered in SA. NW DiD & auto in place - a long way to go....

Scorpro Explorer Box

Comment

• skyehelmsman
          • Feb 2020
          • MELBOURNE

Thanks for your patience. I am a new member, and am impressed by the depth of knowledge, and the helpful attitude of members.

Its not just my typing speed thats the limiting factor here, perhaps.
          I will try to be more precise!

2020 model NX Pajero GLX,3000 odd km

1.Central orange light came on intermittently, lasting a few seconds only, recurring every few minutes, on freeway at 100 k, while in 2H.

2.Appearance of light was sometimes accompanied by a very soft noise, hard to describe, but animal like, not mechanical,or bearing like.

3.I think the 2 green lights went off when centre light came on.

4.Shifting to 4H didn't stop the episodic light, but all 4 green lights were present, even when the orange diff light flashed
          5.Back in 2H,the problem recurred.

Haven't driven car since.

Comment

• Pixie_au
            • Apr 2019
            • Queensland

Equal tyre pressures all-round?

Comment

• Mike DiD
              Valued Member
              • Jun 2007

The ONLY problem I've had in 30 years of owning Pajeros, with the 4WD mechanism was with the NX after 60,000km.

I went to take it out of 4LLc but the Orange Diff light stayed on (or was it flashing). I couldn't select any 2H or 4H modes.

Took it to the Dealer and they diagnosed a faulty Transfer Case switch. Quickly fixed when the switch came in and was replaced.
              Mike R. Sydney. Pajero GLS NX Silver Jan15. DiD Auto. STILL grossly disappointed with the errors in Speed Limits on major roads in my TomTom.

Comment

• nj swb
                Resident
                • Jun 2007
                • Adelaide

Originally posted by skyehelmsman View Post
                Thanks for your patience. I am a new member, and am impressed by the depth of knowledge, and the helpful attitude of members.

Its not just my typing speed thats the limiting factor here, perhaps.
                I will try to be more precise!

2020 model NX Pajero GLX,3000 odd km

1.Central orange light came on intermittently, lasting a few seconds only, recurring every few minutes, on freeway at 100 k, while in 2H.

2.Appearance of light was sometimes accompanied by a very soft noise, hard to describe, but animal like, not mechanical,or bearing like.

3.I think the 2 green lights went off when centre light came on.

4.Shifting to 4H didn't stop the episodic light, but all 4 green lights were present, even when the orange diff light flashed
                5.Back in 2H,the problem recurred.

Haven't driven car since.
                A quick guess (guess being the operative word).

A wiring problem somewhere (wire rubbing on the chassis somewhere?) is sending a signal to the transfer ECU that you've engaged one of the 4wd modes when you're actually still in 2H. The ECU is switching vacuum to the front disconnect, which is trying to engage at highway speeds, which (without the front propshaft being driven by the transfer case) is not a good thing - and can make some horrible noises.

In 4H the front prop shaft should be driven by the transfer, and the ECU should be (correctly) telling the disconnect to engage, so no noise. Is that correct? If you're still getting the centre diff light flashing that suggests the wiring issue is with one of the switches for 4HLc or 4LLc - but I could be wrong.

Have you ever used the vehicle offroad? If you've done a lot of bouncing one of the transfer switches can hit a bolt on the underside of the transmission tunnel, leading to switch damage. Crawl underneath with a torch and a small mirror, and try to get a look at the switches on top of the transfer case - 3 on one side, 2 on the other.
                NT Platinum. DiD Auto with 265/70R17 ST Maxx, Lift, Lockers, Lockup Mate, Low range reduction, LRA Aux tank, bull bar, winch, lots of touring stuff. Flappy paddles. MMCS is gone!

Project: NJ SWB. 285/75R16 ST Maxx, 2" OME suspension, 2" body lift, ARB 110, 120l tank, bullbar, scratches, no major dents. Fully engineered in SA. NW DiD & auto in place - a long way to go....

Scorpro Explorer Box

Comment

• skyehelmsman
                  • Feb 2020
                  • MELBOURNE

Thanks all for your helpful comments
                  Just collected Fang from the dealer.
                  Loose connection behind console /4wd ecu
                  Maybe loosened when electrician installed voltmeter?(ac wire also cut!!!)

Seems fine,just need a few trips now to check out,and get my trust back.

Again,appreciate your advice

Comment

• oscaroo
                    • Dec 2017
                    • Sydney

how much did they charge you for those booboos?

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X