• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Hill
    Valued Member
    • Sep 2007
    • Adelaide

A bit of a summary for new comers.

When I researched filters several years ago Mitsubishi provided the info that their NT CRD fuel filter was 10 micron.

As stated many times previously - quoting a micron size without an efficiency is meaningless.

My best guess is that the factory CRD fuel filter is around 10 microns @ 95% efficiency using comparative data from Donaldson replacement filter which is meant to be equivalent or better than factory filter.

Info from Ryco indicated the Z699 is rated- 4 micron @ 94% efficiency. This is my preference if I was only using one filter.

Fuel flow and pressure drop are important factors that also need to taken into account when fitting an extra filter. Fuel filters filter "better" with use. Fuel flow decreases as the filters are used. The trick is to always change them before fuel flow is compromised. The Donaldson ..615 is rated at 114L/H. Donaldson also use this same material in a filter with more than double this flow rate.

Diesel is filtered many times before it is actually used. This polishes the fuel before use ie it is filtered multiple times before use.

Refilling (when possible) when tank is half full enabling highly polished fuel to mix with new fuel make sense to me.

Parker Racor have recommended filtering fuel for CRD to at least 3 micron @95% efficiency. To date I haven't found any vehicle manufacturers that have published a recommendation.

Fitting a secondary filter that meets above specifications should help injector and pump longevity.

I currently change my factory filter (a Donaldson - sometimes Mitsubishi) at 30K intervals and secondary Donaldson ....615 at 10k intervals.

I let my ..615 run up to 16k's when on trips. I always carry spare fuel filters. Ditto air.

I have no connection with Donaldson.

Hill
    200 Series
    AOR Quantum 4

Comment

• NTBenny
      • May 2017
      • Newcastle

Good post, thanks Hill.

Benny.
      2011 NT Pajero Platinum, DCS 80AH Extreme Battery, Stedi 8.5" LED driving lights, Bushskinz side steps & bash plates, Provent 200, Auto-mate TC lockup, Derale fan forced trans cooler, custom 3inch exhaust, JT intercooler, Bilstein + Lovells 2 inch lift, Airbag Man bags, DBA slotted rotors, braided brake lines, diff+gearbox+transfer breathers, Redarc boost & EGT gauge, Tuned by TME 141rwkw 598nm.

Comment

• NJV6
        Valued Member
        • Sep 2010
        • New Zealand

Ditto, thanks Hill.

I guess the other way to do it if you wanted to keep the factory filter as secondary and install a pre would be to put the Donaldson 11 micron (same mounting kit as 3 micron kit) as the pre and the ryco 699 as the factory....?
        1994 NJ SWB, 3.5 Manual, 285/75/16 Deegan 38s MT, 25mm body lift, Twin ARB air lockers, XD9000 winch, custom bar.
        1991 NH LWB, 3.9 V8, trayback, solid front axle, Toyota hi mount winch
        2011 NT GLX DiD, 3.2 Manual, 285/65/17 Falken Wildpeak AT3W, SPV EGR, Lovells SD rear, HD front, Bilsteins, Custom underbody protection, Safari Snorkel, JTig intercooler and loads of zip ties in the dash...

Comment

• kblof
          • Apr 2017
          • Radelaide

It's a great topic and it comes down to what you feel comfortable installing. I went with the diesel care/fuel manager as most of the big 4x4 diesel shops sell them e.g. Baileys and Berrima. When researching this topic I found this video which was the final tick for me to buy the diesel care/fuel manager.

We make both primary & secondary filter kit options for most popular diesel powered vehicles utilizing common rail fuel systems. Both versions of auxiliary f...
          2011 NT Pajero| DID

Comment

• NTBenny
            • May 2017
            • Newcastle

Great vid, thanks for sharing.
            2011 NT Pajero Platinum, DCS 80AH Extreme Battery, Stedi 8.5" LED driving lights, Bushskinz side steps & bash plates, Provent 200, Auto-mate TC lockup, Derale fan forced trans cooler, custom 3inch exhaust, JT intercooler, Bilstein + Lovells 2 inch lift, Airbag Man bags, DBA slotted rotors, braided brake lines, diff+gearbox+transfer breathers, Redarc boost & EGT gauge, Tuned by TME 141rwkw 598nm.

Comment

• Keithyv
              Valued Member
              • May 2018
              • Perth

I still have 18 months or so warranty left on my NW.
              Has anyone got any comments re. Mitsubishi 'complaining' or denying any kind of warranty claims due to there being a 2nd filter installed?
              I have not installed anything yet but I think it would be a good idea to do so (3 micron secondary filter)
              Realistically I only have 1 service left under warranty or maybe 2 at a pinch. I did plan to avail myself of the 'capped price' services remaining, really only to see the 5 year warranty out.
              On the very off chance something drastic does happen I don't want any hassles.

Oh and why is the wire going into the stock filter constrained by the plastic clamps making it impossible to unscrew the water float thing?
              I mean I had to disconnect the plug and then manage to 'disconnect' the 2 plastic wire holder things just to get the thing out (otherwise you just twist up the sensor wire)

Why did they do it like this? Surely would make sense not to tether the wires, or at least make the holders less difficult to remove?
              Last edited by Keithyv; 29-05-18, 08:12 PM.
              2014 NW MY14 3.2 DID GLX-R Auto. Champagne in colour!
              MM Lockup mate. King KCRS-35 rear springs. Monroe Gas Magnum TDT rear shocks. 3M color stable tint all round. Spare wheel lift kit. 'Dynamat' in all doors and rear cargo area. Pioneer AVH-Z5150BT Head Unit. Upgraded Speakers. Rear (2nd row) USB outlet. Factory nudge bar with LED light bar. Provent catch can. LED interior lights. Rear cargo area twin Andersons and Merit socket. Anderson plug in rear bumper. 6 channel TPMS.

Comment

• HeavyPizzaz
                Valued Member
                • May 2017
                • Sydney

I'm at work currently and going near a Supercheap Auto at lunch today and my Pajero and Donaldson secondary fuel filter kit are at home. Does anybody know the spec for the extra length of diesel fuel line that I require? Length and diameter etc.? This is my first diesel vehicle so am unsure.

Using Hill's firewall install as a guide, got my length of steel ready to go. Would like to install this weekend.

Thanks!

Comment

• vladguan
                  Valued Member
                  • Mar 2015
                  • Adelaide

Originally posted by HeavyPizzaz View Post
                  I'm at work currently and going near a Supercheap Auto at lunch today and my Pajero and Donaldson secondary fuel filter kit are at home. Does anybody know the spec for the extra length of diesel fuel line that I require? Length and diameter etc.? This is my first diesel vehicle so am unsure.

Using Hill's firewall install as a guide, got my length of steel ready to go. Would like to install this weekend.

Thanks!

TLDR: From Hill, "Additional components required include 500mm or so of 9.5mm fuel hose, home made bracket and a couple of hose clamps. The original inlet fuel hose is reused."
                  Please call me Vlad.
                  -----------------------
                  MY15 NX GLS - SPV EGR; Donaldson filter; Front sensors; Compass; DEI506T and DEI507M; LED interior and exterior lights; Blue LED step lights; 3T tow bar; 20% front & clear tint over privacy windows; Chrome handle protectors; 3x Bushskinz guards; Nudge bar; Hella Sharptones; Dual alarm horns; STEDI lightbar; TC mod loom; Paddles; ProVent 200; Dobinsons springs and MRR shocks; Bonnet struts; OCAM awning; Rear work light; Air compressor. TBD - UHF.

Comment

• HeavyPizzaz
                    Valued Member
                    • May 2017
                    • Sydney

Originally posted by vladguan View Post
                    https://www2.pajeroclub.com.au/forum...donaldson+hose
                    TLDR: From Hill, "Additional components required include 500mm or so of 9.5mm fuel hose, home made bracket and a couple of hose clamps. The original inlet fuel hose is reused."

Ah awesome thanks. I missed that one!! Think I saw a later thread maybe. Cheers!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

• HeavyPizzaz
                      Valued Member
                      • May 2017
                      • Sydney

https://www2.pajeroclub.com.au/forum...donaldson+hose

Interestingly, Hill’s comment says 9.5mm fuel hose but the thread talks about 10mm vs 12mm. And on that point, somebody suggests that the 2010 model uses 12mm and 2011 uses 10mm so I assume my 2016 is still 10mm.

Comment

• vladguan
                        Valued Member
                        • Mar 2015
                        • Adelaide

Originally posted by HeavyPizzaz View Post
                        Interestingly, Hill’s comment says 9.5mm fuel hose but the thread talks about 10mm vs 12mm. And on that point, somebody suggests that the 2010 model uses 12mm and 2011 uses 10mm so I assume my 2016 is still 10mm.

yeah, 10mm. Get a metre of hose. Better to be longer and trim as needed than having to go out and get a longer one if too short.
                        Please call me Vlad.
                        -----------------------
                        MY15 NX GLS - SPV EGR; Donaldson filter; Front sensors; Compass; DEI506T and DEI507M; LED interior and exterior lights; Blue LED step lights; 3T tow bar; 20% front & clear tint over privacy windows; Chrome handle protectors; 3x Bushskinz guards; Nudge bar; Hella Sharptones; Dual alarm horns; STEDI lightbar; TC mod loom; Paddles; ProVent 200; Dobinsons springs and MRR shocks; Bonnet struts; OCAM awning; Rear work light; Air compressor. TBD - UHF.

Comment

• HeavyPizzaz
                          Valued Member
                          • May 2017
                          • Sydney

yeah, 10mm. Get a metre of hose. Better to be longer and trim as needed than having to go out and get a longer one if too short.

Cool thanks mate

Comment

• Handy Andy
                            • May 2010
                            • Brisbane

secondary filter

Gidday Heavy Pissaz
                            I have a NW and have used two filters since new (also Donaldson, primary). When I set it up I picked up some Goodyear fuel line from Bursons. As its made in USA its stamped 3/8th (9.5mm) fuel line Ortac and I have had no issues at all. MM have never commented when its been serviced.
                            I filled the filter with diesel when installing it and the car started instantly and ran as it should Good luck Andy

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                            Working...
                            X