• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • outbackogre
    Valued Member
    • Jul 2010
    • Melbourne

Seized suspension bolts?

My Lovell/Bilstein lift kit just arrived (thanks Bushskinz). I'll be installing it over the next couple of weeks, and then getting an alignment, so I'd like to start lubricating the various bolts that can seize. Can anyone provide a diagram (or photos) of all the problematic bolts so I can give them a spray? I tried to do a search on here but couldn't find what I was after. Thanks.
    My friends call me Rob; you can call me .... Rob.
    -------------------------------------------------------------
    MY12 NW GL DiD auto. 2" MD Lovells/Bilstein lift. Bushskinz underbody protection. Home made rear platform with sliding boxes above and lots of space underneath.
  • old Jack
    Regular
    • Jun 2011
    • Adelaide, South Australia.

It is the rear lateral suspension arms wher they attach on the subframe near the diff. This is where the camber adjusters are but unfortunately the bolts rusts in the steel bush insert of the rubber bushes. Almost impossible to pre soak this area with Inox or similar but it is worth a try.

If they are seized and have to be cut out, then pressed out and new bushes fitted in the lateral control arm this is a big job and you need a workshop hydraulic press.

OJ.
    2011 PB Base White Auto, Smartbar, Cooper STMaxx LT235/85R-16,TPMS, HR TB, 3 x Bushskinz, front +40mm Dobinson , rear +50mm EHDVR Lovells, Dobinson MT struts and shockers, Peddars 5899 cone springs, Windcheater rack, GME UHF, Custom alloy drawer system inc. 30lt Engel & 2 x 30 AH LiFePo batteries + elec controls, Tailgate hi-lift/long struts, Phillips +100 LB & HB, Lightforce 20" single row driving beam LED lightbar, Scanguage II.
    MM4x4 Auto Mate, Serial No 1 .

Comment

• outbackogre
      Valued Member
      • Jul 2010
      • Melbourne

Thanks OJ. Will try to soak that in Inox.
      MY12 NW GL DiD auto. 2" MD Lovells/Bilstein lift. Bushskinz underbody protection. Home made rear platform with sliding boxes above and lots of space underneath.

Comment

• spot01
        Valued Member
        • Apr 2011
        • Adelaide

Originally posted by outbackogre View Post
        Thanks OJ. Will try to soak that in Inox.
        One NP owner I know had to re-apply the freeing agent daily for a week or two and the bolts eventually freed up, so persistence may pay off.
        Pajero NX MY21 GLS

Comment

• outbackogre
          Valued Member
          • Jul 2010
          • Melbourne

Thanks Spot. Just to be sure. It this the main offending bolt? Are there others I should spray?
          Attached Files

Comment

• spot01
            Valued Member
            • Apr 2011
            • Adelaide

Thanks Spot. Just to be sure. It this the main offending bolt? Are there others I should spray?
            They are the bolts I'm aware of.
            Yours look pretty clean compared to some I've seen.
            Pajero NX MY21 GLS

Comment

• outbackogre
              Valued Member
              • Jul 2010
              • Melbourne

That's good news. I'm guessing from OJ's comment that I need to try to get Inox into it from every angle and hope some gets in between the bolt and the bush.

Comment

• Morville
                Valued Member
                • Mar 2008
                • Buxton Vic

There are four bolts on the rear suspension (two each side) apart from the bolt shown there is another bolt with adjusting cams just in front of the axle drive shaft on each side.
                If you get them loose I would suggest removing the bolts, cleaning the rust from them and the bushes and smear with anti-seize grease. Be aware that the vehicle MUST be sitting on the ground with all its weight on the wheels to tighten these bolts.
                There are four similar adjusting bolts on the front as well.
                A few years ago just before a wheel alignment on my 2012 NW, I removed all 8 bolts, cleaned them and smeared with anti-seize grease before they had become frozen. Hopefully no further problems in the future.
                Peter

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                Working...
                X