• Show
Clear All
  • likatiger
    Valued Member
    • Apr 2008
    • WAMBERAL NSW

Flash lube catch can

Hi All,
    Any opinions on the Flash Lube oil catch can.
    Do they work ? Are they easy to install for a general handyman type? Do they fit in an NW ? Are they worth the money?

I am a little suspicious that at 86,000 Ks my 2012 NW may be suffering gunk build up so thinking a catch can may assist with prevention of gunk.

Thank you and cheers.
    NW Platinum MY 2012 DiD auto, Pearl White, Safari snorkel, full tint, all plastics, reverse sensors, H/D tow bar, spare wheel lift, full leather seats & trim, GME uhf, home built storage, dual battery, ARB Deluxe bar, Lovell HD springs with Ultimate shocks.
  • Dicko1
    Valued Member
    • Dec 2014
    • Cairns, FNQ

I went with the Provent on my NW. Original and a proven product..
    Dicko. FNQ

2014 NW with all the usual stuff plus more.

TIME....1000 times more valuable than money

Comment

• Seigried
      Valued Member
      • Apr 2016
      • brisbane

I use provents. The old man has a flash lube one. He is not impressed with it. Not sure why.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Comment

• likatiger
        Valued Member
        • Apr 2008
        • WAMBERAL NSW

Thanks guys,

I was favoring the Provent for reasons I am unsure of.
        Did some more in depth research today and came a across a very good analysis of about 10 catch cans.
        Turns out that the Flash Lube and Provent scored almost equally in top spot, almost nothing separating them.
        Decided to go Provent, it was cheaper and was also offering a 10% discount this month for online purchases, bit of a no brainer.

So thank you and happy Pajeroing.
        NW Platinum MY 2012 DiD auto, Pearl White, Safari snorkel, full tint, all plastics, reverse sensors, H/D tow bar, spare wheel lift, full leather seats & trim, GME uhf, home built storage, dual battery, ARB Deluxe bar, Lovell HD springs with Ultimate shocks.

Comment

• reciprovac
          • Jan 2011
          • broadford Victoria, Australia

Originally posted by likatiger View Post
          Hi All,
          Any opinions on the Flash Lube oil catch can.
          Do they work ? Are they easy to install for a general handyman type? Do they fit in an NW ? Are they worth the money?

I am a little suspicious that at 86,000 Ks my 2012 NW may be suffering gunk build up so thinking a catch can may assist with prevention of gunk.

Thank you and cheers.
          Based on my experience at 80,000 km you need to consider having the manifold cleaned as the deposit is already building up.
          Then I would fit the SPC module to prevent the EGR from dumping exhaust gas into the manifold.
          I believe this would be less trouble both in the immediate and future.
          Regards.
          2013 Pajero GLX-R auto Diesel.
          Tough dog 40mm raised suspension,ARB shocks,MCC bull bar,electric winch,bash plates,draws , engel fridge,dual batteries,air comp,water tank and electric pump,inverter,DC/DC charger,air bags, converter lock up system,diff/traction control modification.

Comment

• Stacho
            • Apr 2018
            • Perth

I recently bought a Ryco catch can. Relatively new to the market. All the marketing statistics suggest better performance than ProVent (remains to be seen from independent testing) but can be a fair bit cheaper as SCA sell it and I nabbed one when it was 30% off and then used a $50 voucher. So keep an eye out for Ryco. Mine installed nicely and seems to be doing the job.

Comment

• likatiger
              Valued Member
              • Apr 2008
              • WAMBERAL NSW

Thanks reciprovac, yes agree that it may be time to do the manifold clean.
              Engine seems to run roughly at idle, particularly when cold, have had injector and system type treatment that supposed to fix it but it did not and MMAL dealer said their MUT testers showed all to be normal.

Interestingly, I have had the electronic control device that you mention installed since new and all was good until a few months ago so I don't really know if they work or not. I disconnected the device to see if any difference but there was not, therefore thinking of a manifold clean and a catch can and possibly reinstalling the SPC.

Thanks Stacho for that info, sounds like a good buy.

Comment

• Dicko1
                Valued Member
                • Dec 2014
                • Cairns, FNQ

Engine seems to run roughly at idle, particularly when cold, have had injector and system type treatment that supposed to fix it but it did not and MMAL dealer said their MUT testers showed all to be normal.

Interestingly, I have had the electronic control device that you mention installed since new and all was good until a few months ago so I don't really know if they work or not. I disconnected the device to see if any difference but there was not, therefore thinking of a manifold clean and a catch can and possibly reinstalling the SPC.

I see you have the usual mods. One mod that I find of great benefit is an Ultragauge. This monitors all your vehicles vitals and gives peace of mind when driving and helps should anything go wrong. Definiitely one of the best mods.
                Dicko. FNQ

2014 NW with all the usual stuff plus more.

TIME....1000 times more valuable than money

Comment

• geopaj
                  Valued Member
                  • Jul 2007
                  • Adelaide

I’d be checking you engine mounts. It seems random but is a known issue with Pajero’s that can result in what feels like a rough idle. A few have had them done under warranty
                  Silver NT VRX Di-D

ARB bullbar | snorkel | Bushskinz & Boo’s guards | UltraGauge MX | 2" lift | Cooper AT3 LT's | dual battery | Superwinch X9 | 80ltr diesel tank | 22ltr water tank | aux trans cooler | MM Lockup Mate | GME UHF | locker/TC mod | SPV EGR | rear LED work light | rhino platform | ARB awning | rear drawers ... & plenty of scratches

My Build Thread - HERE

Previously - NL Pajero (now owned by Forum member 'Gemster')

Comment

• likatiger
                    Valued Member
                    • Apr 2008
                    • WAMBERAL NSW

Thanks Dicko1, I will look into the Ultraguage, never really understood those things but I need to get my head around it.

Thanks Geopaj, never thought about the engine mounts so will check them out.
                    Cheers to all that have helped.

Comment

• Freedom70
                      • May 2018
                      • Victoria

For anyone still interested in an opinion on a Flashlube Catch Can Pro, this is my take on it.

I originally purchased a Provent 200 because from my research it was clearly the most popular unit fitted to Pajero’s. When it arrived, I was surprised how big and bulky it was. With a dual battery and diesel pre filter fitted, finding a spot for the catch can was a nightmare so I gave up on the Provent and purchased a Flashlube Catch Can Pro (FCCKT13). The kit came with a bracket that mounted under the air filter box, moulded one-piece hoses and a drain hose with a tap. Fitting was very quick and simple. The hoses are made specifically for the Pajero so there are no joiners or adapters used which makes it look like a factory installation.

I have no doubt that the Provent 200 is a great unit but for my particular situation fitting the Flashlube Catch Can Pro was the right choice for me. The best part is that after 10,000 km the air intake is bone dry so the unit is doing what it’s supposed to do.
                      2014 NW VRX 3.2 DID

Comment

• erad
                        Valued Member
                        • Mar 2015
                        • Cooma NSW

Interesting to hear your comments re Flashlube catch can. Where were you checking to see if the air intake was dry?

Comment

• Freedom70
                          • May 2018
                          • Victoria

Originally posted by erad View Post
                          Interesting to hear your comments re Flashlube catch can. Where were you checking to see if the air intake was dry?
                          I’ve checked the hose that goes from the air box to the turbo, the outlet hose from the catch can and also the inlet manifold. Prior to fitting the catch can there was always a coating of oil but now there is nothing to be seen.
                          2014 NW VRX 3.2 DID

Comment

• erad
                            Valued Member
                            • Mar 2015
                            • Cooma NSW

Sounds good to me. Any problems in fitting it? And what did you do with the Provent?

Comment

• Freedom70
                              • May 2018
                              • Victoria

Originally posted by erad View Post
                              Sounds good to me. Any problems in fitting it? And what did you do with the Provent?
                              The kit came with very clear instructions and included everything needed to install it so fitting it was quick and easy.

The bracket for the catch can fits under the air filter box and is held on by two of the original bolts that go through the bottom of the box. Because the bracket lifted the air filter box up a bit, I felt the original factory bolts were a bit short so I bought two slightly longer bolts to make sure they still threaded in enough. I’m sure the original bolts would have been ok but I like to over engineer things.

As I never used the Provent I returned it and got a refund.
                              2014 NW VRX 3.2 DID

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X