• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Liam75
    • Dec 2018
    • Goongong

2016 NX tyre sizes

I've been investigating putting larger tyres on my Pajero just to increase the side wall.
    Currently use standard size with Falken Wildpeaks.
    What's the general brainstrust views on larger tyres?
    Go 17 inch rims or stay with 18 inch and maybe go a bigger tyre?
    Have a 2 inch lift. Looking at 265/65 or 70/18.
    Whats most peoples findings?
  • old Jack
    Regular
    • Jun 2011
    • Adelaide, South Australia.

Hi Liam,

Factory tyre's are 265/60R18 so they are 776mm diameter.

Next size up in profile is 265/65R18, 803mm diameter and these fit no problems except on some tyre's the spare wheel holder need minor modification to fit. This is a common upsize that people do. It will slightly decrease your fuel economy and the torque convertor will unlock easier and lock later, not a problem if you monitor ATF or have a Lockup kit. If you tow heavy then you will notice the effects more.
    This is a common size tyre with a fair range to choose from.

265/70R18 is 830mm in diameter and these will most likely rub on some part of the front body work, suspension or steering which is illegal. They are also 53mm larger in diameter and the legal limit is 50mm. I cannot recall seeing this tyre size so range could be limited.

If you are doing a lot of off road work with lower pressures then changing the rims to 17" and running 265/70R17 tyre's makes sense as the sidewalls are higher, large choice of tyre's and it is legal.

Having a suspension lift only changes the ride height of the vehicle, it does not give you anymore room at full tuck with 3/4 steering inputs to go much larger in tyre diameter than 810mm diameter.

OJ.
    2011 PB Base White Auto, Smartbar, Cooper STMaxx LT235/85R-16,TPMS, HR TB, 3 x Bushskinz, front +40mm Dobinson , rear +50mm EHDVR Lovells, Dobinson MT struts and shockers, Peddars 5899 cone springs, Windcheater rack, GME UHF, Custom alloy drawer system inc. 30lt Engel & 2 x 30 AH LiFePo batteries + elec controls, Tailgate hi-lift/long struts, Phillips +100 LB & HB, Lightforce 20" single row driving beam LED lightbar, Scanguage II.
    MM4x4 Auto Mate, Serial No 1 .

Comment

• Liam75
      • Dec 2018
      • Goongong

Thanks, heaps for that.
      Probably stick to just going the 265/65/18. Sounds like the better option.
      No issues with the back as I've ripped the plastic around the spare wheel off and don't tow.

Thanks for the help.

Comment

• wazznt
        • May 2015
        • Western Vic

I changed my tyres from 265 60 18 to 265 65 18 seeking a smoother ride on crap roads ,ride improved but fuel economy has gone backwards .
        I am thinking of trying either try a lockup kit or return to the standard size tyres , I haven't decided yet .
        Ps I tow a van and large trailer or boat a fair bit but the difference in tyres is quite noticeable even running empty .

edit typo
        Last edited by wazznt; 09-02-20, 07:49 PM.
        NT Exceed ,almost stock .

Comment

• DaKaptin
          • Mar 2012
          • Brisbane, Qld

Different tyre manufacturers and makes will have different OD sizes despite what the calculator tells you. If you know which tyre brand etc you want then find out that tyres size.

This is often because of varying tread depths offered between different tyres of the same size.

I went to Cooper STmaxx 270/70 r17 for my NX on a set of standard NW rims I sourced. They are 809mm new. Compare this with most other tyre brands which are closer to 803mm.

Compare again to probably the absolutely largest tyre you could go on stock suspension- 275/70r17 @814mm OD. i hear they do scrape on full suspension compression and half lock of the steering.

The same could be said of corresponding 18" tyres.
          2017 NX Pajero Exceed with:TJM AIRTEK snorkel, HPD oil catch can, KAON i/c and sump bash plates, BushSkinz Elite transmission and transfer case plates, Boo's rear bumper plate. Stock NW 17" rims with Cooper ST MAXX @ 265/70r17

Wish list: smart Bar or ARB B/B with Carbon 12k winch, +50mm suspension, Eatons front e locker,

Gone: 2004 NP PAJERO EXCEED with 3.8L petrol and 290,000ks of memories

Comment

• Px2
            • Feb 2019
            • Auckland/NZ

I went from original 265/60/18 to 235/80/17. So they have 808mm and no issues at all.

When I go rocks or sand, plenty of sidewall to play with pressure.

Comment

• old Jack
              Regular
              • Jun 2011

Originally posted by Px2 View Post
              I went from original 265/60/18 to 235/80/17. So they have 808mm and no issues at all.

When I go rocks or sand, plenty of sidewall to play with pressure.
              Hi Px2,

What brand and model tyre are you running in 235/80R17?
              Are you running factory 7.5" X 17" Rims?
              This is not a common size in Australia.
              On my PB Challenger I run LT235/85R16 which are a true 32"/813mm diameter on 7" factory alloys. I prefer them over the 265/70R16 or the 245/75R16 that are 30.5"/775mm diameter.

OJ.
              Last edited by old Jack; 04-04-20, 05:50 PM.
              2011 PB Base White Auto, Smartbar, Cooper STMaxx LT235/85R-16,TPMS, HR TB, 3 x Bushskinz, front +40mm Dobinson , rear +50mm EHDVR Lovells, Dobinson MT struts and shockers, Peddars 5899 cone springs, Windcheater rack, GME UHF, Custom alloy drawer system inc. 30lt Engel & 2 x 30 AH LiFePo batteries + elec controls, Tailgate hi-lift/long struts, Phillips +100 LB & HB, Lightforce 20" single row driving beam LED lightbar, Scanguage II.

Comment

• RodMac
                • Aug 2008
                • Sunshine Coast Qld

Originally posted by Liam75 View Post
                I've been investigating putting larger tyres on my Pajero just to increase the side wall.
                Currently use standard size with Falken Wildpeaks.
                What's the general brainstrust views on larger tyres?
                Go 17 inch rims or stay with 18 inch and maybe go a bigger tyre?
                Have a 2 inch lift. Looking at 265/65 or 70/18.
                Whats most peoples findings?
                All the info re tyres rubbing etc... is correct,been there....

However as for fuel consumption, for what it is worth, when you go up a size you will probably find, as I did, that the speedo will now be spot on for speed and distance, I found the standard tyre size caused the speedo to read higher speeds than actual according to GPS and more km travelled by around 5-10% so while this looks good for consumption it is not 100% accurate.

Rod Mac
                Sunny Coast

Comment

• Px2
                  • Feb 2019
                  • Auckland/NZ

Originally posted by old Jack View Post
                  Hi Px2,

What brand and model tyre are you running in 235/80R17?
                  Are you running factory 7.5" X 17" Rims?
                  This is not a common size in Australia.
                  On my PB Challenger I run LT235/85R16 which are a true 32"/813mm diameter on 7" factory alloys. I prefer them over the 265/70R16 or the 245/75R16 that are 30.5"/775mm diameter.

OJ.

Hi Jack,

Tyre is Chinese Westlake SL369 LT:

Rim is Mak:

And it looks like:

Initial I wanted to use Triton 17'' but those rubs spokes against caliper in front, so then I visited probably all scrap yards in Auckland to get original Pajero 17'' - no luck. In effect I just got new MAKs and I'm happy man now . MAKs are 7.5'' wide.

Comment

• old Jack
                    Regular
                    • Jun 2011

Thanks for sharing Px2, looks great.
                    Do you get a bit of stick from others for running narrow tyre's?

OJ.

Comment

• Px2
                      • Feb 2019
                      • Auckland/NZ

Originally posted by old Jack View Post
                      Thanks for sharing Px2, looks great.
                      Do you get a bit of stick from others for running narrow tyre's?

OJ.

Oh, definitely. Most people still will argue that "wider is always better" same as "bulge make you floating on sand" but... I'm happy with what I have.

Wondering if anyone ever made public testing how tyre width impacts driving on different 4x4 surface. I still could change my stance but so far 35kkm on those wheels - 2/3 of thread worn. Done on it 6kkm month long 4wd trip on NZ South Island with rocks, mud, sand, crossings... whatever and I'm still happy. Next tyres will be same.

Comment

• old Jack
                        Regular
                        • Jun 2011

Originally posted by Px2 View Post
                        Oh, definitely. Most people still will argue that "wider is always better" same as "bulge make you floating on sand" but... I'm happy with what I have.

Wondering if anyone ever made public testing how tyre width impacts driving on different 4x4 surface. I still could change my stance but so far 35kkm on those wheels - 2/3 of thread worn. Done on it 6kkm month long 4wd trip on NZ South Island with rocks, mud, sand, crossings... whatever and I'm still happy. Next tyres will be same.

OJ

Comment

• Px2
                          • Feb 2019
                          • Auckland/NZ

Indeed...

Thanks fo sharing.
                          If you'd ever find any test on yt done for 4wd on tyre width basis I'd be really interested. Please share.
                          I was searching and apart of

Engineering Explained - where not much relevant due to different vehicles and tyre models
                          Old Andrew (yes, the one who hates Pajero) - explaining logically
                          I couldn't find any tests being done and giving proof to one or another side.
                          However, there are few individuals telling about feeling and they like narrow more, what's same to my experiences.

Comment

• redbruce
                            Administrator
                            • Sep 2019
                            • Melbourne

Tyre diameter will always have the biggest impact on grip as the tractive area increases more than changes in (practical) width for a given pressure.

After that width still makes a difference but main difference is in carcass volume and so ability to "fold" around obstacles and better ability to distribute/absorb point loads throughout tyre (via air pressure), for a given rolling diameter but is more subject to application eg sandy versus rocky surface.

Not comparing width but an interesting comparison of diameter from 4wdaction:
                            The question is always asked - what are the best 4wd tyres - 31 inch, 33 inch or 35 inch? Here's our honest 4x4 tyre review when it comes to different sized ...
                            Last edited by redbruce; 05-04-20, 10:37 AM.
                            PCOV Member 1954
                            MY15 NX Exceed, Auto Mate PRO, Paddle shift, Vlads TC mod, EVC U9, Unicorn Power upgraded intercooler, Ultimate Diesel tune, Fuel manager 2 micron post filter, Redarc BCDC + Lithium, MM tow hitch, Teshonka brake controller, Provent catch can, GME 3350 UHF, RHS Offroad bash set, Falken Wildpeak AT3W LT265/70R17, TPMS, Dobinson IMS/Kings HHD/EHD 40mm lift, Rhino bars, Drifta 270 awning, spare tyre lift, Ultraguage MX 1.4, Ultravision 205 4.5K lightbar, auxiliary PWR 23 row transmission cooler and radiator bypass, upgraded bar/plate intercooler, KAON barrier and shelf, XTM kitchen and drawer, ARB Smartbar. Stockman Extreme pod trailer with Drifta Stockton RTT.

Comment

• Px2
                              • Feb 2019
                              • Auckland/NZ

Here is the "thing" nicely broke down to the pieces:

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X