• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • LeighB
    • Sep 2010
    • Gold Coast Qld

Suspension and winch upgrade query

I have an NW Pajero GLX Diesel with an ARB steel bullbar and driving lights on the front, and since purchased new we have done approx 60,000 km's, 20,000 km's towing a 2 tonne off road caravan.

Three questions:

1. We have a new camper trailer 1,500 kg which we will be taking to Cape York next August, should i upgrade the shock absorbers and springs and get the 2 inch lift or will the stock set up suffice for the trip.

2. Thinking of ARB suspension upgrade with Old Man Emu gear ?

3. Do I need a winch to get to the Cape (if so will add and extra 30-40 kg to the front end and may influence the decision on the suspension upgrade).

We will be going with another couple with a Land Cruiser and camper trailer but no winch, we have all the other recovery gear.

Would appreciate your advice
  • MELONHEAD
    • Apr 2010
    • Curlewis NSW

A 2 inch lift will help with approach, departure and ramp over clearances so would be a worthwhile addition. Most folks on here opt for the Lovells springs/Bilstein shocks setup which seems to be one of the best performing options for the Pajero. I don't know what the ARB Old Man Emu combo costs, but the Lovells/Bilstein can be bought for approx. $1500 with fully assembled front struts. Different weight springs can be fitted depending on what accessories you have fitted front and rear also. Air bags can also be fitted inside the rear springs to help carry towball weight better. A winch would be handy but not essential to drive the Cape.
    2010 NT RX diesel manual, bushskinz intercooler + sump guards, factory alloy bulbar, GME TX3400 UHF, Donaldson secondary fuel filter, Bilstein/Kings/Polyair lift, Hankook Dynapro ATM 265/70/17.
    1998 NL GLS V6 auto LWB with ARB Deluxe Winch Bar, ALDI 9500lb winch, ARB onboard compressor, Hankook Dynapro AT/M 265/70/16s.

Comment

• Dicko1
      Valued Member
      • Dec 2014
      • Cairns, FNQ

I have the NW and put a 2inch lift kit . Bilsteins and Lovells.

2 x BE5-6271 GAS H/D FRONT STRUTS
      2 X BE5-6272 GAS H/D REAR SHOCKS
      2 X CFR-90HD LOVELLS H/D FRONT RAISED COILS
      2 X CRR-91HD LOVELLS H/D RAISED REAR SPRINGS.

Improved the ride tremendously and feels firmer and sits level when towing a 1500kg trailer. Recently did the Cape towing the camper. Rode the corrugations well (25psi). Winch is absolutely not necessary. Snorkel is helpful as it allows air fro a meter higher (less dust) to enter airbox. I did use an oiled unifilter sock over the ram intake and changed at the Tip.
      Heaps of people do the Cape and in all honesty ..it is over rated. Yes, some sections of the old telegraph track can be a handful but you can find plenty of difficult sections in any state of Australia.

I have also fitted airbags and ran them at 25psi when I towed the trailer. The PDR is just a long dirt road with corrugations in some sections and flat as in others. Drive sensibly, slow down for approaching traffic (avoid broken windscreen...that wont stop the idiots approaching and not slowing down though), check your rig/tyres/bolts etc everytime you stop and lower tyre pressures will mean a rather uneventful drive.
      Definately do the suspension and underbody bashplates would be a good idea to guard against rocks/sticks on the roads and tracks.
      Dicko. FNQ

2014 NW with all the usual stuff plus more.

TIME....1000 times more valuable than money

Comment

• stevendcp94
        • Dec 2016
        • south africa

What about tough dog set up?

Sent from my VFD 1100 using Tapatalk

Comment

• Pwoffey
          Valued Member
          • Jul 2013
          • Adelaide

1. We have a new camper trailer 1,500 kg which we will be taking to Cape York next August, should i upgrade the shock absorbers and springs and get the 2 inch lift or will the stock set up suffice for the trip.

** I did the Cape in August/Sept this year, towing an off-road camper trailer. So pretty similar situation to yours. Of course the roads and conditions might be quite different in 2018, but FWIW I would not even consider doing the trip on standard OEM suspension. I advise this irrespective of your decision about a winch. Leaving aside the Old Tele Track, even if you stick to the Peninsula Development Road and Bypass Roads, if they are in a similar condition to what they were for me, you will be very pleased you properly prepared your vehicle with appropriate tyres and suspension. You will rue the day you didn't. Do not skimp on this.

** I have no direct experience of this particular gear, but others on the Forum may be able to comment. I have no reason to think ARB wouldn't be able to provide an appropriate setup for your situation.

3. Do I need a winch to get to the Cape (if so will add and extra 30-40 kg to the front end and may influence the decision on the suspension upgrade).

** You do not need a winch to get to the Tip if you stick to the PDR and Bypass Roads. If you wish to do the full OTT, including Palm Creek and Gunshot, then you should have a winch - and especially since you are towing, you should expect to use it.

If you tell us what route you plan to take we could give more detailed advice.
          BY13/MY14 Pajero NW GLX Auto, Cooper ST Maxx, factory towbar, Drifta drawers, SmartBar, Airtec snorkel, Koni Raid 90 front, Dobinson IMLrear shocks with Kings 34-HD springs front, 35-EHD rear, Brown Davis i/c, sump and transmission bash plates, Piranha diff breathers, Fuel Manager pre-filter, LRA 81L auxiliary fuel tank, Piranha steel battery tray, Sherpa 9500 lb winch, HPD catch can, LockUp Mate, Harrop front e-locker, DBA T3 rotors and Xtreme pads, Mark's 4WD reduction gears

Comment

• Dalma01
            • Jun 2013
            • Sydney

Originally posted by LeighB View Post
            I have an NW Pajero GLX Diesel with an ARB steel bullbar and driving lights on the front, and since purchased new we have done approx 60,000 km's, 20,000 km's towing a 2 tonne off road caravan.

Three questions:

We will be going with another couple with a Land Cruiser and camper trailer but no winch, we have all the other recovery gear.

Would appreciate your advice

Suspension should be done when towing. Standard suspension doesn't make the grade.

A 2" lift will help all round.

Lovells and Bilsteins are a tried and proven formula. Have them on mine for 50K. No complaints.

Make sure you do HD springs for front with steel bullbar. Rear depends on your ass weight

Comment

• LeighB
              • Sep 2010
              • Gold Coast Qld

Suspension Upgrade

Thanks for taking the time to supply me with a detailed and informative response.

I am taking your recommendations and am currently trying to get the Bilsteins and Lovells fitted, but I have tried 5 different 4WD specilaists and a couple of suspension specilaists on the GC and they all are having trouble sourcing either the shocks or the springs and no one has been able to give me a time as the springs are supposedly on back order and the best I can get is the end of November, so I will wait and see who can get me some up here.
              Very frustrating that stocks are kept so low.

Originally posted by Dicko1 View Post
              I have the NW and put a 2inch lift kit . Bilsteins and Lovells.

2 x BE5-6271 GAS H/D FRONT STRUTS
              2 X BE5-6272 GAS H/D REAR SHOCKS
              2 X CFR-90HD LOVELLS H/D FRONT RAISED COILS
              2 X CRR-91HD LOVELLS H/D RAISED REAR SPRINGS.

Improved the ride tremendously and feels firmer and sits level when towing a 1500kg trailer. Recently did the Cape towing the camper. Rode the corrugations well (25psi). Winch is absolutely not necessary. Snorkel is helpful as it allows air fro a meter higher (less dust) to enter airbox. I did use an oiled unifilter sock over the ram intake and changed at the Tip.
              Heaps of people do the Cape and in all honesty ..it is over rated. Yes, some sections of the old telegraph track can be a handful but you can find plenty of difficult sections in any state of Australia.

I have also fitted airbags and ran them at 25psi when I towed the trailer. The PDR is just a long dirt road with corrugations in some sections and flat as in others. Drive sensibly, slow down for approaching traffic (avoid broken windscreen...that wont stop the idiots approaching and not slowing down though), check your rig/tyres/bolts etc everytime you stop and lower tyre pressures will mean a rather uneventful drive.
              Definately do the suspension and underbody bashplates would be a good idea to guard against rocks/sticks on the roads and tracks.

Comment

• Scouter1
                Valued Member
                • Mar 2013
                • Sydney NSW

Originally posted by LeighB View Post
                they all are having trouble sourcing either the shocks or the springs and no one has been able to give me a time as the springs are supposedly on back order and the best I can get is the end of November, so I will wait and see who can get me some up here.
                You could try getting in touch with BushSkinz http://www.bushskinz4x4.com.au/form/contact-us/. Kieron has supplied a lot of suspension upgrade kits http://www.bushskinz4x4.com.au/mitsu...spension-kits/ for Pajero forum members. I had my kit arrive 3 days after I ordered it.

Cheers,
                Stephen
                2011 Silver NT GLS DiD Auto with extra bits - build thread http://www2.pajeroclub.com.au/forum/...ad.php?t=36099

Comment

• old Jack
                  Regular
                  • Jun 2011
                  • Adelaide, South Australia.

Factory ride heights are 504mm front and 533mm rear, measured from the centre of the wheel hub to the underside of the wheel arch in a vertical line. Measure what yours are now and you will be surprised how much your suspension has sagged form new.

An aftermarket suspension kit will transform the way your Pajero rides and handles. No problems with a fitted OME kit as long as you get /select the right kit for your application, you also get Nation wide backup and support on the warranty.

If you are fitting the kit yourself then there are plenty to choose from, Lovels/Bilstien and King Bilstein are at the upper end of the price range, Koni shockers will put the price up more. I believe that Kings are better springs particularly since you can get progressive rate coils for the rear so you can have empty comfort and firm when loaded. It is almost impossible to get a rear coil for the Pajero that can have a nice ride and height when both unloaded and heavily loaded, most suspension places fit front coils thst are too hard and rear coils that are too soft. A post upgrade wheel alignment is also critical when doing suspension especially the rear suspension. You also need to factor in the wheel alignment adjusters could be frozen solid, this is a common problem with aged factory suspension if it has not been touched before.

Dobinson or TJM are also options if you wish to to have the same brand shockers as springs and the system fitted by someone.

Mixed reports about Peddars, EFS, Ironman and Tough Dog so if these are on your list be careful.

Everyone is different so one persons great suspension can be horrible to another.

What ever suspension you choose you need to have a ride height that you aim for. Legal max on a Pajero is about 535-545mm front and 575-585mm rear, go too high and you can run out of wheel alignment adjustment and if you do not have enough suspension droop then you can get unwanted early activation of both stability control and traction control systems.

OJ.
                  2011 PB Base White Auto, Smartbar, Cooper STMaxx LT235/85R-16,TPMS, HR TB, 3 x Bushskinz, front +40mm Dobinson , rear +50mm EHDVR Lovells, Dobinson MT struts and shockers, Peddars 5899 cone springs, Windcheater rack, GME UHF, Custom alloy drawer system inc. 30lt Engel & 2 x 30 AH LiFePo batteries + elec controls, Tailgate hi-lift/long struts, Phillips +100 LB & HB, Lightforce 20" single row driving beam LED lightbar, Scanguage II.
                  MM4x4 Auto Mate, Serial No 1 .

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X