Below Nav Bar

Collapse

Light weight non attached awning options?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • outbackogre
    Valued Member
    • Jul 2010
    • Melbourne

Light weight non attached awning options?

The current weather in Melbourne has me thinking about my touring (no van) setup. I normally live out the back of the car (as you do with a Mitsubishi), with small tent and self inflating camp mat. I'm happy with this setup but it has no cover for inclement weather, and I don't want to install roof racks just for an awning. I'm tempted to buy an instant gazebo but these can be heavy and bulky. Then I saw the Oztrail Hiker Fly - https://www.tentworld.com.au/buy-sale/oztrail-hiker-fly
    I know it means mucking around with poles and pegs, but I'd only erect it when really needed. Anyone tried one of these or something similar?
    My friends call me Rob; you can call me .... Rob.
    -------------------------------------------------------------
    MY12 NW GL DiD auto. 2" MD Lovells/Bilstein lift. Bushskinz underbody protection. Home made rear platform with sliding boxes above and lots of space underneath.
  • NTPeach
    • Aug 2015
    • Brisbane

My last car had a roof rack and awning, my current car does not. It's so valuable to have one that you'll forget the cost after your first night of rain, or belter of a hot sun and having somewhere shady to sit/sleep.

Comment

• nj swb
      Resident
      • Jun 2007
      • Adelaide

I've been using a lightweight 3m x 3m "dining canopy" for years. Definitely not as convenient as some of the roof mounted awning solutions I'm resisting, but smaller, lighter & cheaper. And you can leave it set up in a standing-camp situation.

I started with a tarp & four poles, before I found a Jackeroo brand solution that did the job for a number of years. When it finally finally ripped in a storm, I bought a "Spinifex" brand replacement from Anaconda: https://www.anacondastores.com/campi...py/p/90029383?

The Anaconda version uses the same principle, but not as well designed, and has given me trouble since the first trip - but without an alternative, I'm working through the problems and persevering with it. Which reminds me to work on the most recently identified pending trouble. The Jackeroo version occasionally shows up on Gumtree - I should probably keep a closer watch.

It's not the most user-friendly of designs to erect and dismantle, particularly if it's windy, but I've worked out a technique that lets me do it by myself. The bonus is that it's light and compact when packed - specs say 17cm diameter by 630mm long, 7kg rings a bell.

The domed roof likes to invert in the wind - a centre pole is a handy addition, which is one of the solutions I'm still working on for when a suitable length of tree isn't available.

So, a workable alternative, but far from ideal. I occasionally think about one of the larger, heavier and bulkier products, but they are larger, heavier and bulkier.
      NT Platinum. DiD Auto with 265/70R17 ST Maxx, Lift, Lockers, Lockup Mate, Low range reduction, LRA Aux tank, bull bar, winch, lots of touring stuff. Flappy paddles. MMCS is gone!

Project: NJ SWB. 285/75R16 ST Maxx, 2" OME suspension, 2" body lift, ARB 110, 120l tank, bullbar, scratches, no major dents. Fully engineered in SA. NW DiD & auto in place - a long way to go....

Scorpro Explorer Box

Comment

• outbackogre
        Valued Member
        • Jul 2010
        • Melbourne

Thanks guys. The dining canopy looks interesting. How is the domed roof supported? You mention is inverts with a bit of wind. What's it like in heavy rain?
        MY12 NW GL DiD auto. 2" MD Lovells/Bilstein lift. Bushskinz underbody protection. Home made rear platform with sliding boxes above and lots of space underneath.

Comment

• nj swb
          Resident
          • Jun 2007
          • Adelaide

Originally posted by outbackogre View Post
          Thanks guys. The dining canopy looks interesting. How is the domed roof supported? You mention is inverts with a bit of wind. What's it like in heavy rain?
          The domed roof has two flexible fibreglass poles that cross in the middle. The ends of the poles tuck into pockets in the canopy, which forces the poles to bow. There's a tie in the centre of the fabric for tying both poles together, then a series of Velcro loops along each pole to help hold it all in place. But because the poles flex, strong wind can cause it to invert.

I've never had a problem with heavy rain, other than when strong wind blows it in. I have set up a tarp along the windward side to help keep out the rain.

Lately, I've taken to setting it up where I can get the back of the Paj under it. Some of the benefit of a roof-top, and you can drive away & leave it.

As stated, I think it's great for a standing camp, but a bit painful to set up / take down every day in a touring situation.
          Attached Files
          NT Platinum. DiD Auto with 265/70R17 ST Maxx, Lift, Lockers, Lockup Mate, Low range reduction, LRA Aux tank, bull bar, winch, lots of touring stuff. Flappy paddles. MMCS is gone!

Project: NJ SWB. 285/75R16 ST Maxx, 2" OME suspension, 2" body lift, ARB 110, 120l tank, bullbar, scratches, no major dents. Fully engineered in SA. NW DiD & auto in place - a long way to go....

Scorpro Explorer Box

Comment

• outbackogre
            Valued Member
            • Jul 2010
            • Melbourne

Thanks again. That pic of the canopy over the rear of the Paj is exactly what I'd like to do, perhaps with the door of the tent under the canopy so it keeps my whole setup dry. I'll certainly check it out.

Comment

• Boo Boo
              • Aug 2012
              • Kilsyth

We have a Gezebo similar to this BCF one. Only takes a couple of minutes to set up
              When folded up it fits in the floor space behind the front seats or on the roof.
              Pretty good in high winds.
              2008 NS DID, Smart bar and warn winch, Boos Bash plates, ex nsw police car, Safair snorkel and 2 inch OME lift.

Comment

• outbackogre
                Valued Member
                • Jul 2010
                • Melbourne

Thanks Boo. Lot's to think about.

Comment

• Pushbike
                  • Jun 2017
                  • Sydney

Light weight awning

Hi Outbackogre,
                  I have used the Oztrail hiker fly as an awning. I have used two split 32mm HD conduit sections which mount to two sets of 4, 32 mm conduit clips mounted on each side roof rail. Also I have used three Kmart steel tent poles.
                  The centre tie point on the fly has been modified with an eyelet through the fly and a short tiedown line attached to the existing tiedown tag. This is used in heavy rain with the middle pole swapped in. This prevents ponding.
                  Parts:
                  32 mm HD conduit x 4 m cut into 4 pieces $6.60 I/N 4330852 Bunnings
                  32 mm conduit clips x 8 but carry some spares $0.73 x 4 I/N 4330824 Bunnings
                  32 mm coupling (joiner) x 1 $0.95 I/N 4330874 Bunnings
                  Tent poles adjustable x 3 $30
                  Mounting blocks and cable ties to fix conduit clips to side rails, my design and manufacture.
                  Oztrail Hiker Fly from Snowys $28

All the components store inside the Paj. within two PVC tubes constructed from 90 mm stormwater pipe with end caps. I had to shorten the tent poles by about 70 mm to fit rear storage area from 2nd row sets folded to rear door.
                  The 32 mm conduit can also be used to clip mount accessories such as lights.
                  See other post re rear storage unit https://www2.pajeroclub.com.au/forum...ad.php?t=59323
                  Attached Files
                  Last edited by Pushbike; 06-12-17, 11:53 AM.
                  Pajero NX GLX MY17, OEM Rubber mats, OEM Towbar and tongue, After market Rev. Sensors, MSA4x4 seat covers, OEM nudge bar.

Remember the science demonstration of a table covered with mouse traps loaded with ping pong balls and the teacher drops a ping pong ball into the middle.
                  Well, the ball has been dropped.

Comment

• Lakey
                    • Apr 2012
                    • Brisbane

Anaconda have a Dune Quickstop Awning. Looks like light weight cover with suction cups to attach to the roof.

Personally I use a 4m x 3m poly tarp attached to an extendable aluminium pole along the car side with three adjustable height aluminium poles for the outer edge. Similar set up to Pushbikes only larger and I attach it by shock cord to the cross bars when I want it but could probably be attached to the rails also.

Plenty of room under it for two swags and then some if it's raining. Two outer edges get folder in to centre and the whole thing rolls to the car with tent poles inside then I just tie it tight to stop it flapping.

Not as 'neat' as a bought awning but more practical for my purposes.
                    Last edited by Lakey; 06-12-17, 08:20 PM. Reason: Typo
                    Cheers
                    Lakey

2012 PB Challenger LS manual. White, tinted windows, MM towbar, Rhino Aero Sportz Bars, otherwise pretty much bog standard.

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X