• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Brash
    • May 2012
    • victoria

NW Airtec Fitted/ Headlight Washers

Hi first timer hope this info may assist others. Just had the airtec snorkel fitted by TJM and I was able to modify the original washer bottle so headlight washers still worked. The airtec snorkel comes in through the guard behind the airbox and wraps around the airbox in a rectangle tube, (approx 10mm was taken off pipe to assist with maximum clearance from turbo) certainly a tight fit, looks very neat. A new one litre washer bottle is installed in front of airbox for windscreen, possibly a larger one would fit, will keep an eye out.
    The original washer bottle has the pump for the headlights just in behind the fill point, thus allowing bottle to be shortened up. I was lucky enough that TJM called me once the bottle was out, picked it up, modified and returned to them within a couple of hours. Important when cutting bottle down allow enough length to be able to cut four small V shape cuts in end of bottle to create four flaps that can be folded over to close up end of bottle. I picked up Sikaflex -291 Marine Adhesive Sealant from local hardware. File all edges to remove plastic bures, fold over first flap apply sealant, fold over second flap and hold with two screws. Cover end fully in sealant fold over third flap, apply more sealant and fold over fourth flap, hold with another two screws, apply sealant over screws, placed in sun. Has been a week now and no leaks, so good so far. The reason I used sikaflex as I was advised by a plastic welder, silicon would not hold up. Hope this helps, cheers.
  • likatiger
    Valued Member
    • Apr 2008
    • WAMBERAL NSW

That's cool Brash,

I had a safari snorkel fitted and wished that I had taken an interest in the washer bottle reduction, did not think too much about it, now I have a piddly little washer bottle that will be pretty useless in serious outback trips.

Well done with yours.
    Larry
    NW Platinum MY 2012 DiD auto, Pearl White, Safari snorkel, full tint, all plastics, reverse sensors, H/D tow bar, spare wheel lift, full leather seats & trim, GME uhf, home built storage, dual battery, ARB Deluxe bar, Lovell HD springs with Ultimate shocks.

Comment

• Brash
      • May 2012
      • victoria

Thanks Larry,
      I'm not sure if the modification to the washer bottle can be done with a safari snorkel, I have been told the safari comes through the inner guard infront of the airbox which takes out the fill point for the washer bottle, cheers Brash.

Comment

• MSF
        Valued Member
        • Jul 2009
        • Sydney, Northern Beaches

Correct - impossible with the Safari Snorkel as the hole for the washer bottle filler is the hole where the snorkel enters the engine bay...

Here are some pics of how the Safari snorkel enters the engine bay....

Last edited by MSF; 20-06-12, 02:44 PM.

Comment

• likatiger
          Valued Member
          • Apr 2008
          • WAMBERAL NSW

Cool pics MSF, I'm glad I did not see the operation on my brand new NW, not good to watch large holes being drilled in your pride & joy, but the result is good.

Larry
          NW Platinum MY 2012 DiD auto, Pearl White, Safari snorkel, full tint, all plastics, reverse sensors, H/D tow bar, spare wheel lift, full leather seats & trim, GME uhf, home built storage, dual battery, ARB Deluxe bar, Lovell HD springs with Ultimate shocks.

Comment

• 2010banditsa
            • Jan 2012
            • adelaide

thanks for taking the time with the pics msf

Comment

• geoff&vi
              Valued Member
              • Nov 2009
              • Brisbane

Thats different plumbing to my Airtek, mine runs behind the airbox.

cheers
              Geoff
              GONE - 2010 VRX DiD Silver
              NOW - 2012 Prado Kakadu V6 Auto. Opposite Lock bar, Runva winch, Front locker, Bilstein shocks & 2" Dobbo Coils, Lightforce 240's, Scangauge, Dual Yellowtop batteries with Traxide controller, GME 3440 UHF, Featherlite Awning

Comment

• Pearcie
                BushSkinz 4x4
                • Nov 2007
                • Wattagans

Bugger, I hope that design is only for the NW. The main thing I liked about the Airtec was that it was plumbed around the back of the airbox. That NW one is the same as the Safari design and changing headlight globes is such a hassle, fortunately I only had to do it 3 or 4 times with the Safari on the NM.

You always take top quality snaps mate, I suppose that's why you do it for a living

Cheers,
                Kieron
                2012 Holden RG Colorado LX 2.8L Auto "Rad Rado"
                Snorkel, Bilstein & Kings 50mm Lift, Custom Sliders, BushSkinz Underbody Protection, UHF, ARB Compressor, Ironman Bull Bar, Ironman 9500lb Rope Winch, Ironman HID Spotties, BFG KM2 Muddies.

Retired: NS Pajero Exceed 3.8L

Retired: NS SWB X DiD "The BushSkinz lil Paj"

http://www2.pajeroclub.com.au/forum/...ead.php?t=9928

Retired: NM Pajero 3.5L

www.bushskinz4x4.com.au[/SIZE]

Comment

• devendiva
                  • Nov 2010
                  • Mackay QLD

Originally posted by MSF View Post
                  Correct - impossible with the Safari Snorkel as the hole for the washer bottle filler is the hole where the snorkel enters the engine bay...

I will put some pics up...
                  Guys,

I read this as if these are pictures of a Safari install, not an Airtec.

Cheers

Chris
                  2009 NT DiD GLS | 2" HD Lovells | ARB Steel bar | Bushskinz bash plates | Mickey Thompson ATZ 4 Rib 265 70 R17

Comment

• MSF
                    Valued Member
                    • Jul 2009

Correct - this is a SAFARI snorkel....
                    I went with the Safari as there was already something else fitted (by me) where the Airtec would have came through...

I will edit the top post to make it more obvious

Comment

• Pearcie
                      BushSkinz 4x4
                      • Nov 2007
                      • Wattagans

Thanks for the clarification mate glad to hear. Such a relief as I will be getting the Airtec again in the not to distant future and it was a much better design then the Safari.

Cheers,
                      Kieron
                      2012 Holden RG Colorado LX 2.8L Auto "Rad Rado"
                      Snorkel, Bilstein & Kings 50mm Lift, Custom Sliders, BushSkinz Underbody Protection, UHF, ARB Compressor, Ironman Bull Bar, Ironman 9500lb Rope Winch, Ironman HID Spotties, BFG KM2 Muddies.

Retired: NS Pajero Exceed 3.8L

Retired: NS SWB X DiD "The BushSkinz lil Paj"

http://www2.pajeroclub.com.au/forum/...ead.php?t=9928

Retired: NM Pajero 3.5L

www.bushskinz4x4.com.au[/SIZE]

Comment

• wongapaj
                        • Oct 2011
                        • Wonga Park

Hi, does anyone have a picture of how the Airtec comes through into the engine bay?
                        NT 30th Anniversary, 3.2 Diesel, Manual, Black, Tinted Windows, HID Lo & Hi, MM Towbar, Prodigy P3, Stebel Horn, MMCS Override, Scangauge II, Dual Battery, ARB Deluxe Bullbar, ORU12 Winch, IPF HID Driving lights, UHF, Diff Breathers, D697s, Airtec Snorkel. HD Suspension, Bushskinz

Comment

• Bigbaddave12
                          • Jul 2012
                          • South East S.A.

Airtek

Can you keep the washer bottle with an Airtek snorkel?
                          bigbaddave12.
                          NW MY12 Platinum Pajero, ARB Bullbar, Greatwhites 18 Led Light Bar, Sandgrabba Mats, Wetseat Covers, Full EGR Block, Airtec Snorkel, Plus more when the money tree grows it's leaves back!

Comment

• MSF
                            Valued Member
                            • Jul 2009

I was in at my mechanics workshop this week and had a look at an Airtek equipped NT and have made these 'mods' to my images to give you an idea of how the airtec is fitted.

This shows where the Airtek enters and the route it travels around and into the airbox

This shows where the Airtek enters and the route it travels around and into the airbox

The shaded yellow part would need to be cut and removed then plastic welded if you wanted to retain the full size washer bottle. Note that it also needs the washer pump relocated.

The shaded yellow part would need to be cut and removed then plastic welded if you wanted to retain the full size washer bottle. Note that it also needs the washer pump relocated.

Comment

• Brash
                              • May 2012
                              • victoria

Hi all please see attached Airtec snorkel photos with the cut down washer bottle in the guard for headlight washers. Thanks MSF for all the detailed photos.
                              Attached Files

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X