• Show
Clear All
  • dark1
    • Nov 2012
    • hay

Any Thoughts

Hi

I own a 2004 exceed 3.2 diesel.
    The problem is a bad grinding noise coming from the rear end,i first thought it was the brakes but have had them checked and its not that,the noise only occurs first drive of the day and only when accelerating. Just today I went to my local mechanic and he put my car on the hoist with the wheels free I started the car put it in drive and no noise while idoling but as soon as I just touch the accelerator the noise starts and the mechanic said he could see the rear wheels were a bit jerky but was unsure as to what the problem could be.
    Any idea or help would be great.

Cheers
  • Easykill1978
    Valued Member
    • Jan 2008
    • Melbourne Vic

Originally posted by dark1 View Post
    Hi

I own a 2004 exceed 3.2 diesel.
    The problem is a bad grinding noise coming from the rear end,i first thought it was the brakes but have had them checked and its not that,the noise only occurs first drive of the day and only when accelerating. Just today I went to my local mechanic and he put my car on the hoist with the wheels free I started the car put it in drive and no noise while idoling but as soon as I just touch the accelerator the noise starts and the mechanic said he could see the rear wheels were a bit jerky but was unsure as to what the problem could be.
    Any idea or help would be great.

Cheers
    hmm prob with the rear diff, esp under load? seems like crown gear is stuffed..

i take it the shaft has no rub marks?
    My Car is up for Sale => Link to Market Place

Has a current Vic roadworthy (valid from the 28/04/2016)

Comment

• mmannion
      Valued Member
      • Apr 2008
      • Birth place of QLD

Rear cv or wheel bearing?
      02 NM 3.5v6 auto Exceed, seq gas inj,265/75/16 Wild Peaks,16x8 Ballistic alloys, 2.5" cat back, wild cat headers, Lovells HD/TJM Gold Series,30mm coil spacers in rear, dual batt, TJM/bushskinz, 4x4 equip axe & shovel holder, rev cam, 50L Waeco, Megapulse, poly airs, Safari snorkel, K&N, MM alloy b/bar, Roo Lite's, 21" light bar,remote mount UHF, extended breathers, ARB comp, Maxtrax, RTT, Batwing awning & much more!

my videos http://www.youtube.com/user/michealmannion?feature=mhee

Comment

• mrbitchi
        Valued Member
        • Jun 2007
        • Brisbane

I'd go for wheel bearing.
        Cheers, John.
        LC200 V8 goodness

MY12 LC200 GXL 4.5Lt V8 twin turbo, GVM upgrade, ARB bar, Warn winch, Outback Acc rear bar and dual carrier, TJM sidesteps, Bushskinz, Long Ranger 180Lt tank, Black Widow drawers, cargo barrier, Polaris Awning, +++
        Ex - NM auto, 2"Kings, Bilsteins, Buckshots, Wildcat headers, 2.75" Mandrel bent exhaust, Injected LPG, Smartbar, Scraper bar, Bushskinz, Custom steps, Dual Batteries, Breathers, Black Widow drawers, Polaris Awning.

Comment

• dark1
          • Nov 2012
          • hay

Originally posted by Easykill1978 View Post
          hmm prob with the rear diff, esp under load? seems like crown gear is stuffed..

i take it the shaft has no rub marks?

not sure what you mean shaft has no rub marks

Comment

• dark1
            • Nov 2012
            • hay

Originally posted by mmannion View Post
            Rear cv or wheel bearing?
            When the car was on the hoist the mechanic check for movement of both rear wheels to which there was none and he also said that all the bushes look fine.

Comment

• dark1
              • Nov 2012
              • hay

not sure what you mean shaft has no rub marks

Comment

• Easykill1978
                Valued Member
                • Jan 2008
                • Melbourne Vic

well if its touching something it will have rub marks as the shaft spins it will be marked.

Comment

• mmannion
                  Valued Member
                  • Apr 2008
                  • Birth place of QLD

Originally posted by dark1 View Post
                  When the car was on the hoist the mechanic check for movement of both rear wheels to which there was none and he also said that all the bushes look fine.
                  The unit bearings are unlike conventional wheel bearings in that you may not notice any play or movement of the wheels but it could still be stuffed or on the way out. Do you get any vibration along with the noise?
                  02 NM 3.5v6 auto Exceed, seq gas inj,265/75/16 Wild Peaks,16x8 Ballistic alloys, 2.5" cat back, wild cat headers, Lovells HD/TJM Gold Series,30mm coil spacers in rear, dual batt, TJM/bushskinz, 4x4 equip axe & shovel holder, rev cam, 50L Waeco, Megapulse, poly airs, Safari snorkel, K&N, MM alloy b/bar, Roo Lite's, 21" light bar,remote mount UHF, extended breathers, ARB comp, Maxtrax, RTT, Batwing awning & much more!

Comment

• dark1
                    • Nov 2012
                    • hay

are we talking about the tale shaft

Comment

• dark1
                      • Nov 2012
                      • hay

no vibration at all and noise is coming from both rear wheels wondering if it could have something to do with the abs controls but the mechanic pluged car into computer and the were no faults for the abs

Comment

• Pater B
                        • Jan 2014
                        • Wauchope, NSW

If its coming from both rear wheels - whats common between the two? Handbrake linings are a shoe independent of the foot brake (disc pads). They are located in the "drum"of the rear brake rotors. Maybe worth a look?

Comment

• Easykill1978
                          Valued Member
                          • Jan 2008
                          • Melbourne Vic

the diff? or bushes?

Comment

• mmannion
                            Valued Member
                            • Apr 2008
                            • Birth place of QLD

Why not drain the diff oil and inspect for any telltale signs of trouble, easy and inexpensive and at least a starting point.

Comment

• gopher
                              • Oct 2012
                              • Aberfoyle Park

Im confused why mechanic couldn't pinpoint the noise while under the car at the time???? Should be able to tell with a screwdriver or stethoscope where its coming from ruling out some of the great pointers already made.
                              Good luck.

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X