• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Charlie09
    • Jan 2011
    • Melbourne

93 Pajero 6G72 engine advise

Hi

Im a noob in regards to Pajero ownership and need some advise. I was given a 93 Pajero and had all these plans for the old girl, it has done 300,000 so I new I was possibly in for a bit of trouble but having known the owner I new he had at least serviced the car every 5000km, it has an oil leak and i was told oil would sit on top of the pistons and when ever it had been sitting there for a couple of hours every time I started it I would get a burnt oil smell and it was a bit smokie. It ran ok for about 3 months, the first thing that happened was a blown radiator due to the thermostat getting stuck, so a $30 job turned into a $600 job. At the same time I had the mechanic go over the car as I needed to get a RWC to change the reg over from NSW to VIC. He couldnt find the oil leak at the time and gave me something to try and stop the engine smoking as I didnt have enough funds after paying for the radiator. A side from the consistent oil leak it ran fine for about 2 months, it then started to run a little rough. Within 2 days of that the engine was stuffed, it just started losing power and the engine was vibrating a lot and just sounded like a clunking metal on metal sound. It was towed to the mechanics and he just started it and the engine was shaking violently and said try and find another one to swap in to it, but before I do anything I just wanted some advise. I cannot do the work myself, so I have about $5000 to get the engine fixed, RWC and registration. Is it worth while getting the engine rebuilt if so what about the transmission are they fairly reliable? I have been qouted in between $2500-$3500 to have the enginge rebuilt but this doesnt include the install, so Im not sure gow much the install would cost. I have been reading about the magna engines, but I would still have to get someone to do the work so not sure how much this would cost either and I have been struggling to find a pajero engine in vic to swap, I thought about a jap import, but Im worried if I get an engine to swap is being back in the same situation I am now, any advise or experiences would be great.

Cheers
  • 4ePikanini
    Valued Member
    • Dec 2009
    • South Africa, East London

that's very pricey. My rebuilt cost me about $2000 and I didn't skimp on anything. I did do alot of work myself though.

This index only works if your threads per page is set to 20. INDEX Threads elsewhere Delo 400 testimony in rebuilt engine of my pajero MontyMcV from the 4x4wire sends me a replacement MAF sensor My 4H vibration issue
    1993 3.0 V6 Pajero - SOLD
    2001 3.2 Di-D Pajero - SOLD
    2005 Touareg R5 2.5 TDi - SOLD
    2007 Pajero LWB 3.2 Di-D

Comment

• Charlie09
      • Jan 2011
      • Melbourne

Originally posted by 4ePikanini View Post
      that's very pricey. My rebuilt cost me about $2000 and I didn't skimp on anything. I did do alot of work myself though.

http://www.4x4community.co.za/forum/...ad.php?t=38181
      Cool cheers...My main problem is I dont have the time to do it myself and I need it back on road ASAP. Anyone else have any other input or at least know a good engine rebuilder in VIC?

Comment

• scorpion 42
        Valued Member
        • Jan 2011
        • London. uk

93 pajero 6G72 engine advise

After reading how you are fixed, I would be looking for another truck, seeing that you cant do any of the work thats needed to get yourself out of the smelly brown stuff, but if you have any better idea's than there you go.

Comment

• stndby
          • Jul 2009

i just had a reco engine put inside my pajero few months ago by allfix motors 93600727 in hoppers crossing and iam very happy with there job and the price they gave me worth giving them a call and have a chat see what they tell u.
          good luck with it

Comment

• Charlie09
            • Jan 2011
            • Melbourne

Originally posted by stndby View Post
            i just had a reco engine put inside my pajero few months ago by allfix motors 93600727 in hoppers crossing and iam very happy with there job and the price they gave me worth giving them a call and have a chat see what they tell u.
            good luck with it
            Cool..Thanks I will give them a call

Comment

• c-h-s71
              • Sep 2009
              • shepparton

Originally posted by Charlie09 View Post
              Hi

Im a noob in regards to Pajero ownership and need some advise. I was given a 93 Pajero and had all these plans for the old girl, it has done 300,000 so I new I was possibly in for a bit of trouble but having known the owner I new he had at least serviced the car every 5000km, it has an oil leak and i was told oil would sit on top of the pistons and when ever it had been sitting there for a couple of hours every time I started it I would get a burnt oil smell and it was a bit smokie. It ran ok for about 3 months, the first thing that happened was a blown radiator due to the thermostat getting stuck, so a $30 job turned into a $600 job. At the same time I had the mechanic go over the car as I needed to get a RWC to change the reg over from NSW to VIC. He couldnt find the oil leak at the time and gave me something to try and stop the engine smoking as I didnt have enough funds after paying for the radiator. A side from the consistent oil leak it ran fine for about 2 months, it then started to run a little rough. Within 2 days of that the engine was stuffed, it just started losing power and the engine was vibrating a lot and just sounded like a clunking metal on metal sound. It was towed to the mechanics and he just started it and the engine was shaking violently and said try and find another one to swap in to it, but before I do anything I just wanted some advise. I cannot do the work myself, so I have about $5000 to get the engine fixed, RWC and registration. Is it worth while getting the engine rebuilt if so what about the transmission are they fairly reliable? I have been qouted in between $2500-$3500 to have the enginge rebuilt but this doesnt include the install, so Im not sure gow much the install would cost. I have been reading about the magna engines, but I would still have to get someone to do the work so not sure how much this would cost either and I have been struggling to find a pajero engine in vic to swap, I thought about a jap import, but Im worried if I get an engine to swap is being back in the same situation I am now, any advise or experiences would be great.

Cheers
              Its a shame you do not live near me or i near you i would have helped you to do a megna conversion as i have found this to be a nice budget fix and would do it again myself.
              unfortunatly im moving to warrnambool in vic so even further away but if there are any people on here from warrnambool on here would be nice to catch up.

Comment

• brettmini
                • Nov 2010
                • st george

This might help...
                Not sure where it is, but I got an Engine freighted from melbourne to Brisbane, for about $150

Comment

• loopie
                  • Oct 2009

personally i wouldnt waste any more money on it, look at the value off the car $$$, with what you need to spend on it just to get the motor running and any other repairs,, seeing as you arent handy with car repairs, which isnt ment to be a put you down,.
                  invest that money you would have spent on repairs 5,000. on a deposit on either a latter 4 wd if needed, or a new small car.... WHAT im getting at if you are paying say $60.00 per hour for some one too fix this pajero durring your time with the car, its going to a big dollar investment, on a car that you will never get any apprecaited value

weve all been there,, do you write off now all costs and get rid off it, or pump more$$$ into it, your deccission

Comment

• c-h-s71
                    • Sep 2009
                    • shepparton

Originally posted by loopie View Post
                    personally i wouldnt waste any more money on it, look at the value off the car $$$, with what you need to spend on it just to get the motor running and any other repairs,, seeing as you arent handy with car repairs, which isnt ment to be a put you down,.
                    invest that money you would have spent on repairs 5,000. on a deposit on either a latter 4 wd if needed, or a new small car.... WHAT im getting at if you are paying say $60.00 per hour for some one too fix this pajero durring your time with the car, its going to a big dollar investment, on a car that you will never get any apprecaited value

weve all been there,, do you write off now all costs and get rid off it, or pump more$$$ into it, your deccission
                    You do bring up a realy good point Loopie.
                    its best if you can do or takle the work yourself if not better to sell the pajero and get something afordable and running.

Comment

• loopie
                      • Oct 2009

Originally posted by c-h-s71 View Post
                      You do bring up a realy good point Loopie.
                      its best if you can do or takle the work yourself if not better to sell the pajero and get something afordable and running.
                      thanks, i wasnt putting the guy down, but really trying too steer him away from something that could be a waste off time,,, but with the great guys out there some one might be able too help weilding the spanners, never know what talents he may have to return the favour,,computer fixer/ painter/lawyer,etc we are a diverse bunch off people out here..

Comment

• Madmen
                        • Mar 2013
                        • Victoria

Originally posted by Charlie09 View Post
                        Cool cheers...My main problem is I dont have the time to do it myself and I need it back on road ASAP. Anyone else have any other input or at least know a good engine rebuilder in VIC?
                        Mine is at Esky's mechanical repairs in northern Vic not sure where you are situated but It's only costing me around $3k for the whole job remove and refit though this maybe mates rates somewhat he may do it for around the same price????

Phone 0438062033.

He has built the engine in my old Pajero (should never have sold it) and my HSV Senator mildly worked and mate I just can't fault them both were given a bit of a hard time and both are still going today.....

As for not wasting money on it comes down to this you buy a newer car and it F's itself back in the same boat it's worth nothing atm and probaly still will be after but atleast it should go for another 10 years.

Simple fact all cars break down that's life some people don't have time to fix there ride some do, Others don't have money too yet again some do..

Anyway all the best what ever you do

Comment

• Madmen
                          • Mar 2013
                          • Victoria

And I just worked out how old this thread is

Oh well advice for whoever may need it

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                          Working...
                          X