• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • pronvit
    • Mar 2019
    • New Zealand

Aggressive AT tyres

So I've got these AMP A/T tyres recently, happy with offroad performance, but now I can afford something from a more reputable brand.

So looking for something aggressive but with decent everyday/wet performance.

S/T Maxx - the biggest OD and good recommendations, but they're never on sale here
    STT Pro - the same
    Wrangler Duratrac - can't find in LT construction here
    KENDA KLEVER RT - don't know much but not cheap stuff
    Nitto Terra grappler - can't find my size anymore, still interesting
    good old T/A KO2
    Falken AT3W
    2008 Pajero NS V6. Factory rear diff lock. OME suspension. Ironman underbody protection. Rhino-Rack Pioneer Platform. ASFIR hidden winch mount, Ridge Ryder 12000lbs winch.

2006 LR Discovery 3 TDV6.
  • rgrubby
    Valued Member
    • Apr 2018
    • Wellington - NZ

The Maxxis AT980 is LT, has an aggressive tread, and sticks very well to the road. I have them in 265/65R17. I would rather a bigger profile, the biggest that tyre goes to is 275/65R17. They do make a bit of road noise, but I would suspect that is true of any aggressive tyre
    2007 NS Pajero GLS Diesel. Factory rear diff lock. Custom rear bumper. Custom side steps. Kaon and ASFIR bash plates. Cooper Evolution MT tyres. Couple of CB radios. UltraGauge. Provent 200. Traction control diff lock mod. ARB Comercial bull bar with custom brush bars and Domin8r X 12,000lb winch. Dobinsons and Kings raised springs and shocks. TJM snorkel

Comment

• DAVIDHHH
      • Jan 2019
      • Ulladulla

I ran the Toyo Open Country ATII light truck variant on my old challenger and they stuck like glue on wet tarmac or dirt. Once the duelers that came with my Pajero wear out l'll be changing those to a set of the Toyo's as well. No noticeable road noise even though it was quite an aggressive tread
      2016 NX GLX5, Tough Dog 40mm lift, Snorkel, ARB Bar, oricom UHF, Cargo Barrier, OCAM Flat Rack, Boo's plates, Dual Battery in rear well etc

Previous: 2002 PA Challenger

Comment

• old Jack
        Regular
        • Jun 2011
        • Adelaide, South Australia.

Kumho MT51
        Mickey Thompson ATZ P3
        Dick Cepek FCII
        Nitto Ridge Grappler

OJ.
        2011 PB Base White Auto, Smartbar, Cooper STMaxx LT235/85R-16,TPMS, HR TB, 3 x Bushskinz, front +40mm Dobinson , rear +50mm EHDVR Lovells, Dobinson MT struts and shockers, Peddars 5899 cone springs, Windcheater rack, GME UHF, Custom alloy drawer system inc. 30lt Engel & 2 x 30 AH LiFePo batteries + elec controls, Tailgate hi-lift/long struts, Phillips +100 LB & HB, Lightforce 20" single row driving beam LED lightbar, Scanguage II.
        MM4x4 Auto Mate, Serial No 1 .

Comment

• pronvit
          • Mar 2019
          • New Zealand

AT980 is not available in 265/70R17
          ATZ P3 looks good, forgot about them, I enquired for the price now
          others I don't know where to find here
          2008 Pajero NS V6. Factory rear diff lock. OME suspension. Ironman underbody protection. Rhino-Rack Pioneer Platform. ASFIR hidden winch mount, Ridge Ryder 12000lbs winch.

Comment

• NJV6
            Valued Member
            • Sep 2010
            • New Zealand

I've got the Falken AT3W, a bit cheaper than the BFG's I had and quieter for now. Similar traction however they are not constructed as heavy, unless you are in the sharp rock territory of central South Island its not likey to be an issue. I am and am happy to take the risk.
            1994 NJ SWB, 3.5 Manual, 285/75/16 Deegan 38s MT, 25mm body lift, Twin ARB air lockers, XD9000 winch, custom bar.
            1991 NH LWB, 3.9 V8, trayback, solid front axle, Toyota hi mount winch
            2011 NT GLX DiD, 3.2 Manual, 285/65/17 Falken Wildpeak AT3W, SPV EGR, Lovells SD rear, HD front, Bilsteins, Custom underbody protection, Safari Snorkel, JTig intercooler and loads of zip ties in the dash...

Comment

• twisted32
              • Jan 2015
              • Adelaide

Yokohama have recently released a 50/50 style AT (AT-X) also.
              They have my interest, similar tread pattern as the Falken ATW's, but with a 3 ply sidewall.
              MY14 GLX Pajero DID auto with Lift, 265/70 R17 Yoki X-AT's, Full Bushskinz plates , Scotts Rods 3" TBE, Johnny Tig FMIC, TME ECU remap, Provent, OL Bullbar, Ironman 9500lbs winch, dual batteries, Lockup mate lite, nomad valve body, aeroflow AF72-6000 transmission cooler with 9" fan and radiator cooler bypass, 3.15 reduction gears, traction contol mod (on/off), Uniden 8080S, flappy paddles, Rhino flat rack mounted on ARB rails, 42" Stedi ST3K light bar and custom drawers

Comment

• old Jack
                Regular
                • Jun 2011

Originally posted by twisted32 View Post
                Yokohama have recently released a 50/50 style AT (AT-X) also.
                They have my interest, similar tread pattern as the Falken ATW's, but with a 3 ply sidewall.
                Als similar tread pattern to BFG KO2 so water drainage would be similar. I found the BFG to not drain deep water away very well, and would get a bit of aquaplaning.

Tread depth is 13.5mm whereas ST Maxx is 14.7mm so the X-AT has only 90% of usable tread depth to the ST Maxx. Tread depth on a BFG AT KO2 is only 11.9mm, even less.
                Tread width is reasonable for a LT265/70R17 at 218mm only just slightly short of the ST Maxx 220mm tread width. I ca not find the tread width specification for the BFG.

OJ.
                2011 PB Base White Auto, Smartbar, Cooper STMaxx LT235/85R-16,TPMS, HR TB, 3 x Bushskinz, front +40mm Dobinson , rear +50mm EHDVR Lovells, Dobinson MT struts and shockers, Peddars 5899 cone springs, Windcheater rack, GME UHF, Custom alloy drawer system inc. 30lt Engel & 2 x 30 AH LiFePo batteries + elec controls, Tailgate hi-lift/long struts, Phillips +100 LB & HB, Lightforce 20" single row driving beam LED lightbar, Scanguage II.

Comment

• pajeromack
                  Valued Member
                  • Jun 2014
                  • NSW

I run the Wrangler Duratrac in LT. It has about 14.3mm tread depth from factory. They were comparatively cheap and very grippy, but they will make a bit of road noise if they aren't rotated.

Comment

• old Jack
                    Regular
                    • Jun 2011

Originally posted by pajeromack View Post
                    I run the Wrangler Duratrac in LT. It has about 14.3mm tread depth from factory. They were comparatively cheap and very grippy, but they will make a bit of road noise if they aren't rotated.
                    Need to be careful with which DuraTrac you buy as they are available in several loading's for many sizes.

For example the LT265/70R17 is available as a ;
                    C rated 6 ply Light Truck construction 112 Load Index Max Cold Inflation Pressure 50 PSI
                    and also a
                    E Rated 10 Ply Light Truck construction 121 Load Index Max Cold Inflation Pressure 80 psi.

Both tares look identical except for the sidewall specifications and the 10 ply is a heavier tyre and a much stronger and robust tyre in tread, shoulder and sidewall construction.

Tyre's ain't Tyre's!

OJ.

Comment

• pronvit
                      • Mar 2019
                      • New Zealand

Thanks for all the suggestions. Based on price and availability, I think the choice is between ATZ P3, MT51 (which look pretty much the same, together with S/Tmaxx) and KO2. It's a shame KO2 have smaller OD. Duratracs are also interesting but unavailable in LT here.

Comment

• pajeromack
                        Valued Member
                        • Jun 2014
                        • NSW

Originally posted by old Jack View Post
                        Need to be careful with which DuraTrac you buy as they are available in several loading's for many sizes.

For example the LT265/70R17 is available as a ;
                        C rated 6 ply Light Truck construction 112 Load Index Max Cold Inflation Pressure 50 PSI
                        and also a
                        E Rated 10 Ply Light Truck construction 121 Load Index Max Cold Inflation Pressure 80 psi.

Both tares look identical except for the sidewall specifications and the 10 ply is a heavier tyre and a much stronger and robust tyre in tread, shoulder and sidewall construction.
                        Yep my LT265/75R16 are 123 Load Index.

Originally posted by pronvit View Post
                        Thanks for all the suggestions. Based on price and availability, I think the choice is between ATZ P3, MT51 (which look pretty much the same, together with S/Tmaxx) and KO2. It's a shame KO2 have smaller OD. Duratracs are also interesting but unavailable in LT here.
                        Ah that sucks.

Comment

• old Jack
                          Regular
                          • Jun 2011

Originally posted by pronvit View Post
                          The Kumho MT51 is almost identical in many ways to the Mickey Thompson ATZ P3 except they only seem last about 75% to 80% of the kms that the P3's so this must be a compound difference. Coopers part own both Mickey Thompson and Kumho, and have been told that all 3 tyres share the same carcass construction method but I do not know if all the material specifications are the same.

In Australia the Kuhmo is $50 to $75 a tyre cheaper than the ATZ P3 and about $70 to $90 a tyre cheaper than the ST Maxx. I closely looked at all 3 tyres in May this year when I needed new tyres, after having 2 sets of Cooper ST Maxx I was thinking of trying something different. I looked at Duratracs, ATZ P3 and MT 51, narrowed it down to the ATZ P3 and ST Maxx, but when I got a new ATZ P3 and a new ST Maxx side by side the ST Maxx won out because of better stone ejectors.

OJ.

Comment

• Kingbrown
                            Valued Member
                            • Apr 2012
                            • Port Augusta - SA

On a recent outback trip of 10k km (75% offroad) my Challenger was running ST Maxx (worn 20k km) and a mate in an Amarok was on ATZ P3 (brand new).

Both vehicles travelled exactly the same route and were loaded to GVM+.

The Amarok tended to always travel that little bit faster than the Challenger 🐇🐢.

At the end of the trip the P3's were noticeably more scarred than the ST Maxx with extensive chips and cuts in the tread blocks.

Variables such as tyre compound & age, tyre pressures or the driver or the vehicle can't be nailed down, but the end result was quite pronounced.
                            2012 PB Challenger LS Manual

Comment

• sa_on_patrol
                              • Aug 2016
                              • Mt Barker

Found these tyres if anyone is interested, I don't have any feedback on them.

The Renegade RT+ is the all-new Rugged Terrain tire range in the Radar Tires Renegade family. This range is designed to give exceptional off-road performance coupled with on-road comfort and…
                              2013 NW GLX-R CRD Auto | ARB Bullbar | Projecta IDC25 | Tow Pro Elite | Khumo AT51 265/70R17 | Home Made Rear Storage Unit

Wanted - Dobinsons Suspension, Pioneer Rhino rack, UHF

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X