• Show
Clear All
  • gjh1967
    Valued Member
    • Dec 2007
    • Lake Macquarie

Home made Battery Tray for Duel Battery setup

Hi All

I got this battery tray from Budewoi wreckers for free. It came out of a NG Pajero diesel.
    I cut and shut here and there and welded on a bracket under the tray for support. It should fit an N70ZZ (Just).
    I have to lower another 30mm and clear the high pressure Air con pipe to fit the N70ZZ battery.

After i do this i have the challenge of fitting the Redarc Battery isolator as im running out of room on this side of the engine bay.

Cheers Glenn
    Attached Files
    Last edited by gjh1967; 23-04-10, 12:47 PM.
    2003 NP 3.2 DI-D LWB 5spd-DVD Entertainment unit-Narva 175 blue's-Side Steps-Uniden UHO15SX-Garmin GPS16 and Oziexplorer-ARB On Board air-Polyairs-Airtek Snorkel-Khumo KL78's-Headrest DVD players- Ironman Lift kit- 12000lb winch- Dual Batteries - Redarc isolator-Bushskinz intercooler guard.
  • gjh1967
    Valued Member
    • Dec 2007
    • Lake Macquarie

Does anyone know where i can get a replacement Pajero Battery tray from.
    The eye that hold the clamp is starting to come apart.

Perhaps there may be a cheaper repair that someone can share
    Cheers Glenn
    2003 NP 3.2 DI-D LWB 5spd-DVD Entertainment unit-Narva 175 blue's-Side Steps-Uniden UHO15SX-Garmin GPS16 and Oziexplorer-ARB On Board air-Polyairs-Airtek Snorkel-Khumo KL78's-Headrest DVD players- Ironman Lift kit- 12000lb winch- Dual Batteries - Redarc isolator-Bushskinz intercooler guard.

Comment

• Hama
      Valued Member
      • Oct 2009
      • Gold Coast

Not sure if it would suit a Pajero, but once I bought from eBay a replacement battery tray that apparently suits any 4wd, size is 330mm. Have a look at it "NEW DUAL BATTERY TRAY - HEAVY DUTY STEEL - LARGE 330mm" on eBay. I know you can get them around for the same price if not cheaper.

Hope it helps.
      (SOLD) 2001 NM Exceed 3.5L Petrol, Injected LPG, 2" Lift Lovells HD Springs & Shocks, Polyair Bags, Maxxis Bighorn MT-762 (265/75/16), Dual Battery System, TRV4x4 Snorkel, F/R Diff+Tranny+Transfer Case Breathers, Engel Fridge/Freezer 40L, Homemade Rear Storage+Bed, Rhino Roof Racks+Basket, OEM Alloy Bullbar, Side Steps, Towbar, Fog Lights, Rear Work Light, UHF Handheld Radio Puxing PX-888+UHF Antenna RFI CD900, Nobles RIG-MATE Creeper Winch, Exhaust Jack, X-Trax II, TomTom XL 340 with Hema Maps

Comment

• gjh1967
        Valued Member
        • Dec 2007
        • Lake Macquarie

Hi Hama
        Thanks For that
        I think i saw these at Kmart once
        They have the crosses in the bottom for different mounting points.

The only drawback is the fuse box and washer bottle mount to the battery tray also

Cheers Glenn

Comment

• Herman4x4
          Valued Member
          • Oct 2009
          • Melton, Victoria

G'day Glenn,
          Is it just the tray the battery sits on, or also the black box that sits around it? I have them in my shed and do not need them as I have eplaced the tray with an ARB dual battery tray.
          You would have to take the fittings that the fuse box etc attach to from yours and bolt on. All it would cost is postage.
          I can send pic is you want.
          If you are interested, PM me.
          Regards,
          Andrew.
          Cheers,
          Andrew.

2008 NS Diesel Auto - stock as a rock. Planning Tow bar, dual battery system, cargo barrier, bullbar, winch, lights, roof rack and suspension.
          Jayco Starcraft 17.58-3.

Comment

• steveandviv
            Valued Member
            • Apr 2008
            • Broome

Originally posted by gjh1967 View Post
            Does anyone know where i can get a replacement Pajero Battery tray from.
            The eye that hold the clamp is starting to come apart.

Perhaps there may be a cheaper repair that someone can share
            Cheers Glenn
            I made a new bracket for mine. I'll try to get a pic for you but I'm not taking the battery out so I'm not sure how much use it will be. It's lasted me 22000K across Aus and still going strong
            2000 NM Paj - 2.5 Inch Lift - 81 Long Range tank - UHF - Rhino Rack - Dual Batteries - Hella 4000 Spotties - ARB Bar - Cargo Barrier - Custom Shelves - GPS Screen - Garmin GPS - Snorkle - Ox TJM Winch - MT MTZ - Polly Bags - Front ARB Locker - 50&60ltr Waeco....http://www.steveandviv.blogspot.com/

Comment

• gjh1967
              Valued Member
              • Dec 2007
              • Lake Macquarie

Hi Andrew

The part thats failing on mine is the tray that bolts over the strut tower.
              Its a crappy plastic looking tray with a oval mounting point on each long side for the clamps to attach to

If you can email me a picture that would be appreciated
              Cheers Glenn

Comment

• Rendrag
                Valued Member
                • Feb 2010
                • Central Coast, NSW

Originally posted by gjh1967 View Post
                Hi Hama
                Thanks For that
                I think i saw these at Kmart once
                They have the crosses in the bottom for different mounting points.
                And they are absolute rubbish for a battery as heavy as a fourby battery, combined with the bumpy rides we generally have! I had a 'fun' time on one trip away when the type battery tray you're talking about basically disintegrated (along with the inner guard of the hilux!) from the flex under the weight of the battery!

Nothing beats a quick frame weldup from 25x25 angle with mounts to something decently solid

PS, thanks, I didn't realise we had fourby wreckers in budgewoi! I've been going down to the one on Lucca road!
                VK2TDG/VK2DGJ
                Dip.EE, Dip.IT, GradIEAust, Master Cabler
                '94 3.0L Pajero GLS
                '84 BMW K100RT Starship

Comment

• Herman4x4
                  Valued Member
                  • Oct 2009
                  • Melton, Victoria

Hi Glenn,
                  I will get the pics off to you today.
                  Regards,
                  Andrew.
                  Cheers,
                  Andrew.

2008 NS Diesel Auto - stock as a rock. Planning Tow bar, dual battery system, cargo barrier, bullbar, winch, lights, roof rack and suspension.
                  Jayco Starcraft 17.58-3.

Comment

• Herman4x4
                    Valued Member
                    • Oct 2009
                    • Melton, Victoria

Hi Glenn,
                    I went to take some pics and checked the tray out, and it ialso cracked near one of the battery strap rings. I can still send some pics for you to see if it is worse han yours and if you can repair it.
                    I should have checked it before offering it.
                    Regards,
                    Andrew.
                    Cheers,
                    Andrew.

Jayco Starcraft 17.58-3.

Comment

• gjh1967
                      Valued Member
                      • Dec 2007
                      • Lake Macquarie

No worries Andrew

I had a thought on a quick fix

A bit of flat gal steel strap from Bunnings ($7 for a metre)

Bend up under the tray with an attachment point for the clamps.

Cheers Glenn

Comment

• Ian Johnston
                        Valued Member
                        • Feb 2010
                        • Mount Gambier, SA

I just made a 2nd battery box this weekend. I have removed my ARB dual carrier, and fitted the original standard one, and made up a new one for the 2nd batt.
                        I did this so I could change my fuel filter easier. Did it while I had the batt out to do my suspension.
                        I will make up a steel one for the original batt, so the plastic one can be replaced some day.
                        I fitted mine in the corner like you have done, just used different mounting holes.
                        Fits well, so will see how it goes.
                        2015 Subaru Forester 2.5 petrol CVT. (Missus car)
                        Just got an NS DID manual (my car) SOLD.
                        2014 Subaru Outback diesel, CVT. Mine

Comment

• gjh1967
                          Valued Member
                          • Dec 2007
                          • Lake Macquarie

Hi Ian

Sure beats paying astronomical prices for shop bought ones
                          Cheers
                          Glenn

Comment

• Ian Johnston
                            Valued Member
                            • Feb 2010
                            • Mount Gambier, SA

I usually have steel laying around at home, and we have welders etc at work, so yeah, a lot cheaper, and more fun.

I like making my own stuff if I can. Gives that warm fuzzy feeling ha ha!!
                            2015 Subaru Forester 2.5 petrol CVT. (Missus car)
                            Just got an NS DID manual (my car) SOLD.
                            2014 Subaru Outback diesel, CVT. Mine

Comment

• sveevers
                              • Feb 2011
                              • Perth

Originally posted by Ian Johnston View Post
                              I just made a 2nd battery box this weekend. I have removed my ARB dual carrier, and fitted the original standard one, and made up a new one for the 2nd batt.
                              I did this so I could change my fuel filter easier. Did it while I had the batt out to do my suspension.
                              I will make up a steel one for the original batt, so the plastic one can be replaced some day.
                              I fitted mine in the corner like you have done, just used different mounting holes.
                              Fits well, so will see how it goes.
                              I know this is an old thread, but do you by chance still have the ARB tray and want to get rid of it?

Steve.

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X