• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • pfgrobler
    • May 2014
    • Centurion. South Africa

Traction Control NS vs NX

It looks like the Pajero Sport traction control is very good, which made me wonder if there has been any updates to the traction control programs between the NS and NX ?

Do the traction control on the NW/NX still overheat when using for extended periods ?
  • Hatto
    Valued Member
    • Nov 2013
    • Mandurah WA

I have had it happen to me once in my NW. Didn't really cause me any problems as at that time I was pretty much stuck, so when I heard the beeps I decided to call it a failed attempt and go for a snatch recovery.
    Cheers, Hatto

2012 NW GLS Diesel Auto with:
    ARB delux bar, full length Ocam ally roof rack with rear LED work light, dual batteries, DIY rear ally drawers with fridge slide, 2" lift oztec/kings, Polyairs, Kings awning 2.5 x 2.5m with LED strip light, pair of genr8 40w LED spot/flood driving lights, iron man 4x4 22" LED light bar, mounted thumper compressor, 70L water tank & 12v pump, 120w solar, LED interior lights, Boo Boo's bash plates, Safari snorkel and Grande mk lll 12000lb winch.

Comment

• gen1
      • Nov 2012
      • Melbourne

My NX is used as intended around the high country regularly. The traction control works brilliantly, but it will work hard for maybe 15 seconds before it overheats and stops working. I overcome this by switching on the rear locker on steep ascents which disables the traction control and allows it to cool down for when I really need it.
      2016 NX GLX. ARB bullbar, Safari snorkel, dual batteries, diesel prefilter, flashlube catch can, FrontRunner rack with foxwing awning and custom under awning lights, towbar, Drifta Drawers, Terrain Tamer suspension

Comment

• TC.Barky
        Valued Member
        • Oct 2011
        • Melbourne

NW here, have never had it overheat but haven't done many clay uphills in this car and I take it slowly in the high country so it's rarely operating continuously for more than a couple seconds in short bursts. Comes on nearly instantly, have been on trips with older pajeros and seems to much quicker to react and generally more effective - this was definitely vs gen3 and from memory NS as well.
        MY14 NW GLX-R 3.2L Auto Build Thread
        Fitted: 265/70R17 Kanati Mud Hogs. Ultimate Suspension HD Front EHD + bags rear. MM Towbar. OL Bullbar. SPV EGR Mod. Bushskinz Bash Plates x4. Roleys Rear Bar Protector. Icom IC-400Pro. Rhino Pioneer Tradie Rack. CTEK CTD250S w/ Dual Bats. Airtec Snorkel. Scangauge II. Blackvue Dash Cam. TC mod. Autosafe Half Barrier. Masten TPMS. Drifta Custom Drawers w/ Mounted Compressor. 47L ARB Fridge. Domin8rX Winch. Towing an MDC stepthrough.

Comment

• Axis
          Valued Member
          • Jul 2011
          • Highett Vic

Originally posted by TC.Barky View Post
          NW here, have never had it overheat but haven't done many clay uphills in this car and I take it slowly in the high country so it's rarely operating continuously for more than a couple seconds in short bursts. Comes on nearly instantly, have been on trips with older pajeros and seems to much quicker to react and generally more effective - this was definitely vs gen3 and from memory NS as well.
          I find my manual NS kicks in traction control pretty quickly. Was up around Walhalla last weekend and had it overheat on one long loose climb on Fultons track. There were another 2 climbs either on Fultons or Fultons Creek that it started beeping at me. Compared to a mates MN Triton the traction control is very sensitive.
          07 NS DiD GLX Manual, Alloy Bullbar, 2" lift, Bilstein shocks, King Springs, Kumho MT51, Oricom UHF088, Prodigy P2 Brake Controller, Airtec Snorkel, Bushskinz Intercooler Guard, Boo's Sump and Tansmission Bash Plates

Comment

• kiwi1973
            Valued Member
            • Sep 2012
            • New Zealand

I haven't driven a NT through NX to compare, but my NS auto TC performs extremely well. Exhausting the capacity of the TC system has been a rare experience for me so far, yet is something that concerns me. Really wouldn't be a great outcome to lose TC half way up a climb that really needed it. This is why I'm currently in the process of installing an E Locker in the front diff. I'm hopeful that having a locker on one axle will have the effect of increasing the reserve capacity of the TC system. I got the diff back today with the locker installed and plan to reinstall in the car tomorrow. I'll be posting some comments on how it all performs when I've had the chance to test it.
            2007 Shogun 3.2DID. UK Diamond Spec. Harrop Eaton front E-locker. MCC Bullbar. Runva 11XP winch. 17" Dotz rims with 32" STT Pro. Koni HT RAID 90 series with +2" EHD Lovells springs. ASFIR protection plates for engine & transmission. DIY steel rocksliders. LRA 81 litre auxiliary fuel tank. Waeco CFX-40. Home made drawers & fridge slide. Dual power - 120a/h AGM with CTEK DC-DC. LED lighting. 43 litre water tank with two electric pumps - one for tap (via filter) & one via heat exchanger.

Comment

• Benji
              • Dec 2013
              • Warragul

Our NT has the rear diff lock, have done the TC mod and on several steep climbs it's beeped and even flat lined, it gives up too quickly.

Ben

Comment

• razor
                • Nov 2014
                • Lewiston

I've just had my NS go in to Mitsubishi for the airbag recalls. I asked them to check for an update for the traction control ecu and they came back saying there isn't any changes
                Previously: 2002 NM Pajero 3.2 DiD.
                NS Pajero Manual with mods

Silver NT Platinum. Long ranger sub tank, Dobinsons IMS 2" lift, Custom lightweight storage system, dual battery system with DCS 75ah lithium and redarc bcdc1250, full bash plates, bullbar, winch

"If you cant beat them with brilliance, baffle them with bullshit"

Comment

• kiwi1973
                  Valued Member
                  • Sep 2012
                  • New Zealand

Originally posted by Benji View Post
                  Our NT has the rear diff lock, have done the TC mod and on several steep climbs it's beeped and even flat lined, it gives up too quickly.

Ben
                  I'm hopeful that I'll achieve better results by having the diff lock in the front diff, working in conjunction with the traction control. The front wheels will lift a lot more than the rear during a steep loose climb - this due to more weight over the rear axle and longer rear control arms with more wheel travel in the rear. Additionally, if/when TC does give up the Pajero should keep climbing more effectively with the front diff lock than a rear.
                  2007 Shogun 3.2DID. UK Diamond Spec. Harrop Eaton front E-locker. MCC Bullbar. Runva 11XP winch. 17" Dotz rims with 32" STT Pro. Koni HT RAID 90 series with +2" EHD Lovells springs. ASFIR protection plates for engine & transmission. DIY steel rocksliders. LRA 81 litre auxiliary fuel tank. Waeco CFX-40. Home made drawers & fridge slide. Dual power - 120a/h AGM with CTEK DC-DC. LED lighting. 43 litre water tank with two electric pumps - one for tap (via filter) & one via heat exchanger.

Comment

• JoshF
                    Valued Member
                    • Jan 2008
                    • Brisbane

I would have thought that when the TC overheats you just become and open diff 4WD rather than a disabled 4WD, you can still keep progressing, if it is possible to do so
                    NS Tall and Short (Trakryder/Bilstein 2" lift with Polyairs) DiD "R", Gunmetal on BFG 270/60/17 AT's, TJM Bullbar, 9500lb Ox Winch, Icom 450, AirTech Snorkel, Cargo Barrier, Dual Battery System to power a CF 40, ScanguageII, LRA Auxillary Tank
                    Custom Intercooler/Sump/Transmission Bash Plates and Sliders by http://www.bushskinz4x4.com.au/

Comment

• kiwi1973
                      Valued Member
                      • Sep 2012
                      • New Zealand

Originally posted by JoshF View Post
                      I would have thought that when the TC overheats you just become and open diff 4WD rather than a disabled 4WD, you can still keep progressing, if it is possible to do so
                      Correct - in non cross axled situations you'll continue. The issue is that much of this discussion is aimed at situations when you're attempting an obstacle or climb etc that requires more than open diffs can accomplish.

Comment

• old Jack
                        Regular
                        • Jun 2011
                        • Adelaide, South Australia.

All effective traction control systems have a limited operating capacity over a certain period of time, this is because there is a small electric motor that drives the hydraulic pump that provides the hydraulic pressure. The ASCTC ECU detects wheel spin, by comparing the speed of all wheel sensors and then opens a valve to the brakes on the wheel that is spinning until the wheel speed is reduced. If the TC is system is pushed too hard for too long then the electric motor gets hot and its temperature is monitored by the ASTC ECU, which then gives the driver a warning beep followed by a continuous warning before the system shuts down to allow the motor to cool down. This is something people do not realise or wont to accept. To get more TC capacity you need a bigger motor or a engine driven hydraulic pump.

However you can conserve the TC capacity by changing the way you drive to reduce the need for long periods of traction control operation. Have off road tyres that are well deflated, choose your driving line more carefully, if you have a RDL engage it, when the the system starts beeping or you detect wheel spin then ease off the accelerator a little.

The Pajero TC system is very good, it makes an average driver look good, a skilled driver should be aiming to drive in are manner that requires less reliance on TC so it has operating capacity when you really need it.

OJ.
                        Last edited by old Jack; 27-11-17, 05:03 PM. Reason: spelling correction
                        2011 PB Base White Auto, Smartbar, Cooper STMaxx LT235/85R-16,TPMS, HR TB, 3 x Bushskinz, front +40mm Dobinson , rear +50mm EHDVR Lovells, Dobinson MT struts and shockers, Peddars 5899 cone springs, Windcheater rack, GME UHF, Custom alloy drawer system inc. 30lt Engel & 2 x 30 AH LiFePo batteries + elec controls, Tailgate hi-lift/long struts, Phillips +100 LB & HB, Lightforce 20" single row driving beam LED lightbar, Scanguage II.
                        MM4x4 Auto Mate, Serial No 1 .

Comment

• Hatto
                          Valued Member
                          • Nov 2013
                          • Mandurah WA

Well said OJ! Couldn't agree more.
                          Cheers, Hatto

2012 NW GLS Diesel Auto with:
                          ARB delux bar, full length Ocam ally roof rack with rear LED work light, dual batteries, DIY rear ally drawers with fridge slide, 2" lift oztec/kings, Polyairs, Kings awning 2.5 x 2.5m with LED strip light, pair of genr8 40w LED spot/flood driving lights, iron man 4x4 22" LED light bar, mounted thumper compressor, 70L water tank & 12v pump, 120w solar, LED interior lights, Boo Boo's bash plates, Safari snorkel and Grande mk lll 12000lb winch.

Comment

• Kumabear
                            Valued Member
                            • Sep 2013
                            • Sydney, Macarther Region

My experience is the same as OJ

TC is extremely effective, only once have I had it beeping on a very long steep shale hill in the vic high country this was after nearly 45 seconds of continuous operation and even then didn't completely die and I continued on with the rear locker (TC mod). I really should have gone up maybe 2km/h faster and 1 gear higher then I wouldn't have had half as much wheel spin.

I find as long as I am deflated correctly (i personally run at 22-25 psi depending on conditions on the tracks. And as long as I accurately estimate a good speed to start my climb then its all good.

I have learned to be a bit less timid, its quite shocking how much 2kmh speed increase (as long as it will still be safe) when you start your climb helps with reducing the amount of torque you need to apply which greatly lessens wheel spin on low traction surfaces. As slow as possible and as fast as necessary being the catch phrase, I just never really realised how big a difference a very small increase in climb speed makes.

Unfortunately I had to learn this because the last 6 times ive gone out it has rained and I refuse to call off my day just because it rains unless its going to be dangerous.
                            2011 MY12 NW Pajero GL (White)

Factory Rear Diff lock | Modded Traction Control | Hankook RT03 MT LT265/70/17 | Uniden 7760nb UHF | Opposite Lock 3 Loop steel bar with fog lights |Runva EXW12000 | Bushskinz plates and sliders |Ultimate Suspension true 50mm Lift (above factory trim)

Wishlist:

Comment

• pauld
                              Valued Member
                              • Apr 2010
                              • Melbourne

Tyre pressures make a huge difference, just did 3 days in High Country at 18 psi, TC system with diff lock (mod) needed but never close to timing out
                              2015 NX, ARB Bullbar, Bilstein / Lovells HD Front and Kings SP Rear, Polyairs, 17" NP Exceed wheels, D697 LT265/65/17, STEDI Cree 24" 120Watt light bar, Tracklander 2100 Roof Cage, Bushskinz side steps and bash plates, 200AH of Batts under rear floor via Redarc 40 Amp, cargo barrier with custom rear shelf up high, TC mod, EGR mod, catch can, iPhone4 with OBD app, USB ports in all 3 rows, custom storage in rear passenger guard.

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X