• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • dreamerman
    Valued Member
    • Sep 2009
    • Sydney

Hail protection

Hi, I was wondering has anyone wrap their vehicles to protect against hail?
    03/19 MY18 Pajero NX GLX Graphite | KUMHO AT51 265/65R17 | Ultragauge MX v1.4 | AEM GPS Speedometer | Yakima Platform on OCAM Backbone | OEM Tow Bar | KAON Internal Rear Roof Shelf | ARB Smartbar
  • Pickle
    Administrator
    • Jun 2007
    • All over Oz

Originally posted by dreamerman View Post
    Hi, I was wondering has anyone wrap their vehicles to protect against hail?
    I would doubt very much that wrap would offer that much protection. If the hailstones are big enough it would still put some dents in the panels, maybe not quite as extreme but still !
    Dave
    NX Pampas Cat GLS MY16
    Member 1228 Pajero Club

Comment

• dreamerman
      Valued Member
      • Sep 2009
      • Sydney

Yeah guess so, thanks
      03/19 MY18 Pajero NX GLX Graphite | KUMHO AT51 265/65R17 | Ultragauge MX v1.4 | AEM GPS Speedometer | Yakima Platform on OCAM Backbone | OEM Tow Bar | KAON Internal Rear Roof Shelf | ARB Smartbar

Comment

• erad
        Valued Member
        • Mar 2015
        • Cooma NSW

You raise an interesting point here. I have a 2013 Mits Outlander and a 2013 Mits Pajero. The Pajero has an aluminium bonnet, and it is much lighter than the Outlander. Thinking about it, if we get hit by a hailstorm, for sure the Pajero is going to suffer damage before the Outlander, even though I think the Outie is a lighter grade steel. Has anyone had their later model Pajeros damaged by hail? If so, did the bonnet suffer more than the rest of the car?

Comment

• dreamerman
          Valued Member
          • Sep 2009
          • Sydney

Sold my dual cab a few days ago and had suffered hail damage from the storm the Friday before. Not as bad as my neighbours' but my new Pajero.............

Comment

• dreamerman
            Valued Member
            • Sep 2009
            • Sydney

Originally posted by erad View Post
            You raise an interesting point here. I have a 2013 Mits Outlander and a 2013 Mits Pajero. The Pajero has an aluminium bonnet, and it is much lighter than the Outlander. Thinking about it, if we get hit by a hailstorm, for sure the Pajero is going to suffer damage before the Outlander, even though I think the Outie is a lighter grade steel. Has anyone had their later model Pajeros damaged by hail? If so, did the bonnet suffer more than the rest of the car?
            Don't know about Outlander and Pajero but my neighbour's Triton dual cab and his X-Trail suffered worse than my SsangYong dual cab. We parked about 20m apart.

Comment

• Pickle
              Administrator
              • Jun 2007
              • All over Oz

Originally posted by erad View Post
              I have a 2013 Mits Outlander and a 2013 Mits Pajero. The Pajero has an aluminium bonnet, and it is much lighter than the Outlander.
              Thinking the Outlander has an Aluminium roof, Paj has Aluminium bonnet!
              Dave
              NX Pampas Cat GLS MY16
              Member 1228 Pajero Club

Comment

• erad
                Valued Member
                • Mar 2015
                • Cooma NSW

I don't think the Outlander has an aluminium roof - it is all steel, but the whole car is so much lighter, the body shell is made of paper thin steel. Dents easily. Hopefully neither car will get done in a hailstorm.

Comment

• aussieintas
                  Valued Member
                  • Feb 2013
                  • Sorell, Tasmania

Any make of car can get hail damage. My son's Touareg got significant hail damge to most panels the other month and I've heard of plenty of upper end makes and models with same.
                  2014 VW Touareg V6 diesel

Previously
                  88 NF Exe SWB 2.6 manual
                  92 NH Gls LWB 3.0 auto
                  92 NH J-Top 2.5 manual
                  99 Landcruiser Gxl 4.5 manual with all the fruit
                  95 NJ Gls SWB 3.0 auto
                  08 NS Vrx SWB 3.2 auto​

Comment

• Ainsjac
                    • Jan 2016

It all depends on the angle, size of stones and intensity of the storm. Two years ago my NX was hit by hail in a carpark. All dents were taken out by paintless removal with the steel roof causing more issues than the bonnet. The new Landcruiser (1400km) parked next to mine had to have the roof cut off and replaced. Nature works in her way. The repairer did comment that the Korean sourced Holdens and European sourced VWs suffered far more than others requiring new panels.

Comment

• tonero
                      • Sep 2020
                      • USA

Yes I have. I bought a hail cover for it. I think this is the best option especially if you don't have a garage. If you don't know which particular ones to get here is a guide to help you https://car-parts-home.com/hail-car-...ducts-of-2020/

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X