• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • stevemc181
    Valued Member
    • Sep 2012
    • Thornlie/Perth

NW Pajero wrong fuel

The Missus has put unleaded in the NW Pajero instead of diesel and then driven about 70 km's, telling me the car is running funny when she arrived home!
    The Paj was fuelled up on Saturday night and she only put 22litres of unleaded in it, as we were meant to be going away in the Patrol for the week and she only put in enough fuel to do what she needed. This meant it was probably about a 70/30 Unleaded/Diesel Mix, so hopefully still had some lubricating properties.

After she arrived home, I looked at the Paj and at first thought it must have been sucking in air, as I'd done a service the week before and changed the fuel filter. But it soon became evident that unleaded was in the mix as we could smell it, so we checked her fuel receipt and yep, wrong fuel!

I was stressing all night and thinking the worst, failed injector pump, injectors etc, and I couldn't find anything in my insurance (RAC WA) PDS relating to misfueling. The RAC Insurance call centre had closed for the night, so I waited until they re-opened at 8:30am today and gave them a call. A big sigh of relief, they told me it was covered as it is considered accidental damage. The next step is to get it towed to a workshop and get a repair quote back to RAC, I've delayed my trip by a couple of days to hopefully get the Pajero into a workshop and get things moving along.

So we've dodged a bullet there and a potential $10k claim will now only be a $500 insurance excess. (Along with the resulting increase in next years premiums no doubt) I discussed this with forum member sharkcaver and we agreed that there is a good possibility that there may be no damage to the injector pump etc due to the ratio of diesel in the mix and it may all be good. So I've tossed up just draining the tank and changing the fuel filter etc and seeing how it goes, but I think I'm far better off heading down the insurance path, in case there is an unforeseen problem with the pump or injectors etc.

I'll let you all know what the damage is once they give me a quote.
    2012 NW Activ with all the fruit, stripped what I could for my new build and handed over to the Mrs as a daily driver.

Current vehicle: 2016 Y61 GU Patrol Legend series Auto, (Last of the Breed)
    3505kg GVM Upgrade and 2" Lift | Warn XD 9000 Winch | Factory steel bar, towbar, snorkel, alloy roof rack | 285/70/17 (33") Mickey T ATZ P3's | 3" Manta Exhaust | ORS Drawer System | Manual Boost Controller | ECU Remap |
  • spot01
    Valued Member
    • Apr 2011
    • Adelaide

Sorry to read of your mis-fortune. Hopefully it's not too bad & the insurance delivers. The RAA is SA also covers accidental mis-fueling, but not fuel contamination (which irks me, as I consider that to also be accidental damage, which is what insurance is for).

Might be worth considering a "diesel fuse" insert/cap for it, if you are no longer filling it from cans, truck pumps, etc.? I think the risk of mis-fueling increase dramatically when you have both petrol & diesel cars in the family.

Best of luck.
    Pajero NX MY21 GLS

Comment

• nj swb
      Resident
      • Jun 2007
      • Adelaide

Bugger!

Unfortunately easy to do, and I guess you were lucky it made it home under it's own steam, and your Mrs was aware enough to detect that something wasn't right.

70/30 petrol/diesel isn't as bad as it could've been, but still not a nice prospect. I think you're on the right track - get your insurance company involved ASAP, in case it all goes pear-shaped.

In the bush, I'd try flushing with fresh diesel and hope for the best getting to help. But that's not your situation, and I don't see any up-side to taking unnecessary risks.

Good luck.
      NT Platinum. DiD Auto with 265/70R17 ST Maxx, Lift, Lockers, Lockup Mate, Low range reduction, LRA Aux tank, bull bar, winch, lots of touring stuff. Flappy paddles. MMCS is gone!

Project: NJ SWB. 285/75R16 ST Maxx, 2" OME suspension, 2" body lift, ARB 110, 120l tank, bullbar, scratches, no major dents. Fully engineered in SA. NW DiD & auto in place - a long way to go....

Scorpro Explorer Box

Comment

• stevemc181
        Valued Member
        • Sep 2012
        • Thornlie/Perth

Originally posted by spot01 View Post

Might be worth considering a "diesel fuse" insert/cap for it, if you are no longer filling it from cans, truck pumps, etc.? I think the risk of mis-fueling increase dramatically when you have both petrol & diesel cars in the family.

Best of luck.
        Yep, the diesel cap thing will definitley be looked at, she was tired and not paying attention and unfortunately this is the result. The insurance rep I spoke to reckons its pretty common for them to have this occur. Something that could have been easily avoided if they used fool proof nozzles/tank inlets to start with when designing diesel cars.

Originally posted by nj swb View Post
        Bugger!

Unfortunately easy to do, and I guess you were lucky it made it home under it's own steam, and your Mrs was aware enough to detect that something wasn't right.

70/30 petrol/diesel isn't as bad as it could've been, but still not a nice prospect. I think you're on the right track - get your insurance company involved ASAP, in case it all goes pear-shaped.

In the bush, I'd try flushing with fresh diesel and hope for the best getting to help. But that's not your situation, and I don't see any up-side to taking unnecessary risks.

Good luck.

Yep, I agree, I've gone ahead and the claim is being processed, tow truck will pick her up tomorrow and I'll give MM a call and let them know the claim number etc. I'm now hoping they change the pump and injectors to avoid any future issues that may occur due to this.
        2012 NW Activ with all the fruit, stripped what I could for my new build and handed over to the Mrs as a daily driver.

3505kg GVM Upgrade and 2" Lift | Warn XD 9000 Winch | Factory steel bar, towbar, snorkel, alloy roof rack | 285/70/17 (33") Mickey T ATZ P3's | 3" Manta Exhaust | ORS Drawer System | Manual Boost Controller | ECU Remap |

Comment

• benckj
          Valued Member
          • Oct 2017
          • Alexandra , New Zealand

Before the modern common rail diesels using the wrong fuel rarely caused any damage. Had my son fill my Landcruiser with petrol and it died 20km down the road. He dropped the fuel refilled it and carried on for an extended road trip. I then used the diesel/petrol mix in my ol series 2 Landrover for nearly 2 years. Never ran better!

Hope you get Pajero sorted with limited damage.

Comment

• Dicko1
            Valued Member
            • Dec 2014
            • Cairns, FNQ

I did something similar about 5 years ago. Put about 20 litres of premium into a 60 litre diesel tank on a toyota hi ace. I realised my error after about 2 klms of driving. No difference in driving ..the penny just dropped that I,d stuffed up. Drove the 4klms to home extra slowly in higher gear and immediately put 2 litres of 2 stroke oil into the tank. That was about all it would take. Drove carefully for about 50klms and topped up with diesel. Carried on driving as normal. No problems at all. Good to hear about the insurance side of things. Hopefully all will be good. I have also fitted a bright yellow diesel cap on mine (naturally it sits under the fuel flap.
            Dicko. FNQ

2014 NW with all the usual stuff plus more.

TIME....1000 times more valuable than money

Comment

• crash486
              • Jan 2018
              • Blackheath, NSW

Mis fuelling was such a problem in the US that VW changed the fillers on all diesel models to prevent it happening. Standard on all diesels since.

Comment

• spot01
                Valued Member
                • Apr 2011
                • Adelaide

Link to mis-fueling prevention device:

Sprint Auto also list them.

Should be fine for "town cars" I would think.

However, I do have a few concerns about installing one of these on a "offroad car":
                - will it allow dirt into the tank when inserting the filler, particularly after traveling off road when the filler area will be full of dust & dirt? Perhaps a dust cap will be needed to cover it?
                - I have heard mention that it may foul the inside of the fliier flap when closing the flap?
                - Truck pumps probably can't be used
                - Filling from jerry cans may prove tricky, as the filler will need to be the same size as a servo diesel filler nozzle to open the solo cap

Has anyone fitted one of these or a similar product?
                Pajero NX MY21 GLS

Comment

• stevemc181
                  Valued Member
                  • Sep 2012
                  • Thornlie/Perth

Originally posted by spot01 View Post
                  Link to mis-fueling prevention device:

Sprint Auto also list them.

Should be fine for "town cars" I would think.

However, I do have a few concerns about installing one of these on a "offroad car":
                  - will it allow dirt into the tank when inserting the filler, particularly after traveling off road when the filler area will be full of dust & dirt? Perhaps a dust cap will be needed to cover it?
                  - I have heard mention that it may foul the inside of the fliier flap when closing the flap?
                  - Truck pumps probably can't be used
                  - Filling from jerry cans may prove tricky, as the filler will need to be the same size as a servo diesel filler nozzle to open the solo cap

Has anyone fitted one of these or a similar product?
                  I looked at one of these quite some time ago and had the same concerns as you have listed above. I was mainly concerned about dust in offroad situations. The Pajero doesn't do any offroading anymore and is mainly used for carting the wifes market products around town. So I think I'll be having a close up look at one of these when we get her back on the road. My step daughter also drives a diesel Hyundai i30, so I might do the same for hers. I'll have to have a good look at the Pajero filler again, as it has the dual tank fillers, so I'm not sure this will fit.

Comment

• spot01
                    Valued Member
                    • Apr 2011
                    • Adelaide

Originally posted by stevemc181 View Post
                    I looked at one of these quite some time ago and had the same concerns as you have listed above. I was mainly concerned about dust in offroad situations. The Pajero doesn't do any offroading anymore and is mainly used for carting the wifes market products around town. So I think I'll be having a close up look at one of these when we get her back on the road. My step daughter also drives a diesel Hyundai i30, so I might do the same for hers. I'll have to have a good look at the Pajero filler again, as it has the dual tank fillers, so I'm not sure this will fit.
                    Another option previously mentioned by others is big stickers, yellow paint, etc.
                    I reckon a big sticker like "Its a DIESEL you #*%#@!!!" might sell well?
                    Pajero NX MY21 GLS

Comment

• Merts
                      Valued Member
                      • Nov 2011
                      • Bendigo Vic

The chances of my wife mis-fueling my Triton are effectively zero. She rarely puts fuel in her ASX (I get to do that more often than not), and if she is about to use my vehicle and she thinks the amount of fuel on board may not get her to her destination and back, she asks (tells) me to go and fill it up for her.
                      Merts
                      Impulse Blue 2015 MQ Triton GLS Auto

ARB Summit front & rear bars and side steps, Carryboy canopy and rack, Safari Snorkel, VRS 9500 winch, Gecko 16x7 rims with BFG 245/75r16 KM3s, Uniden 8080s UHF, Darche 270 awning
                      Dobinson heavy duty suspension, Harrop rear Elocker, Supertrim Neoprene Seat Covers, Drifta drawers, MSA drop slide, dual battery system and ARB onboard compressor. National Campers Hermit.

Previously a Gunmetal 2007 NS VRX DiD Auto

Comment

• Hatto
                        Valued Member
                        • Nov 2013
                        • Mandurah WA

Bugger for you Steve! I am paranoid about putting the wrong fuel in my Paj. My wife's car is a petrol Focus which I usually take to work and when I do I fill it up meaning I fill both cars generally. Touch wood, I'm yet to get it wrong.
                        Cheers, Hatto

2012 NW GLS Diesel Auto with:
                        ARB delux bar, full length Ocam ally roof rack with rear LED work light, dual batteries, DIY rear ally drawers with fridge slide, 2" lift oztec/kings, Polyairs, Kings awning 2.5 x 2.5m with LED strip light, pair of genr8 40w LED spot/flood driving lights, iron man 4x4 22" LED light bar, mounted thumper compressor, 70L water tank & 12v pump, 120w solar, LED interior lights, Boo Boo's bash plates, Safari snorkel and Grande mk lll 12000lb winch.

Comment

• Hatto
                          Valued Member
                          • Nov 2013
                          • Mandurah WA

Surely those diesel only caps would be sealed against dust etc? And surely if you needed to top up from a Jerry can you could just unscrew the thing and pour it in as normal? Or am I missing something?
                          Cheers, Hatto

2012 NW GLS Diesel Auto with:
                          ARB delux bar, full length Ocam ally roof rack with rear LED work light, dual batteries, DIY rear ally drawers with fridge slide, 2" lift oztec/kings, Polyairs, Kings awning 2.5 x 2.5m with LED strip light, pair of genr8 40w LED spot/flood driving lights, iron man 4x4 22" LED light bar, mounted thumper compressor, 70L water tank & 12v pump, 120w solar, LED interior lights, Boo Boo's bash plates, Safari snorkel and Grande mk lll 12000lb winch.

Comment

• old Jack
                            Regular
                            • Jun 2011
                            • Adelaide, South Australia.

"Diesel Fill" is a insert that screws into your existing filler that only allows only a diesel nozzle to be inserted, you do however have to remove it if using jerry cans to refuel or a pump nozzle that is the wrong diameter. If you could find a funnel that was the correct diameter then that might solve the jerry can/hand pump refuelling issue.

Diesel Fill and Diesel Key prevent misfuelling diesel vehicles with wrong fuel; locking filler neck prevents filling with petrol or adblu. Easy to fit, just screw off your fuel cap and screw in Diesel Fill. Protect your Diesel from contamination with incorrect fuels. Misfuelling prevention device, Petrol in Diesel

OJ.
                            2011 PB Base White Auto, Smartbar, Cooper STMaxx LT235/85R-16,TPMS, HR TB, 3 x Bushskinz, front +40mm Dobinson , rear +50mm EHDVR Lovells, Dobinson MT struts and shockers, Peddars 5899 cone springs, Windcheater rack, GME UHF, Custom alloy drawer system inc. 30lt Engel & 2 x 30 AH LiFePo batteries + elec controls, Tailgate hi-lift/long struts, Phillips +100 LB & HB, Lightforce 20" single row driving beam LED lightbar, Scanguage II.
                            MM4x4 Auto Mate, Serial No 1 .

Comment

• erad
                              Valued Member
                              • Mar 2015
                              • Cooma NSW

I have painted the inside surface of my fuel filler flap in bright orange paint. When you open the door, it smack you in the face. Even so, I am still scared of sing the wrong pump nozzle. There is no guarantee that some clown didn't deliberately switch nozzles in the multi-outlet bowsers which are used these days. At least if diesel is issued from a stand-alone bowser a mixup is less likely.

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X