Below Nav Bar Ad Module

Collapse

5th Place in Overlander 4wd of the Year - Bias?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • tomlola
    • May 2010
    • Brisbane

In the same topic, I saw this ad near the Brisbane Airport. Why a pajero ? :-)

See: http://www.mackay.qld.gov.au/__data/...-forget-it.jpg
    NP MY05 DiD

Comment

• AndrewF
      • Jun 2011
      • Burwood East

... the TV show is predominantly an advertising-vehicle for ARB & it's products!
      G'day,

I'll always watch the show but have also noticed it's basically half advertising time... Still enjoy seeing where he goes though... Haven't seen the mag...

Must say I went on a High Country tour recently with some really tricked-up trucks and the one that impressed me the most was the new Cruiser one guy had but for WELL over 100k it should impress...

Interestingly during the trip I used 13l/100k's and the Cruiser used >25! wow... Before we re-fueled during the trip, he had a 135l tank (I think) and was low on fuel, I had a 70l tank and I think I had more left in the tank than he did... Seemed a really nice and capable vehicle but for well over 100k Vs my 42k it should be...

The FJ seemed nice, drove like a car on the road etc but felt I coudn't see out properly on the road in traffic was never sure if there really wasn't anyone in that blind corner when changing lanes etc... And only in petrol too...
      2011 PB manual Challenger, Bushskinz, Dual batteries, 2" Ultimate lift, snorkel, ARB steel Bullbar, BFG 265/75/16 AT's, other bits n bobs.

Comment

• chilli
        • Jun 2009
        • Brisbane

Originally posted by AndrewF View Post
        Interestingly during the trip I used 13l/100k's and the Cruiser used >25! wow... Before we re-fueled during the trip, he had a 135l tank (I think) and was low on fuel, I had a 70l tank and I think I had more left in the tank than he did... Seemed a really nice and capable vehicle but for well over 100k Vs my 42k it should be...
        Was that because his 200 series was a petrol V8 and yours a diesel?
        Future: Triton Ute.

Now: Mazda MX5 NB8A
        Past: Suzuki Grand Vitara

Comment

• JoshF
          Valued Member
          • Jan 2008
          • Brisbane

Originally posted by AndrewF View Post
          G'day,

I'll always watch the show but have also noticed it's basically half advertising time... Still enjoy seeing where he goes though... Haven't seen the mag...
          interestingly I think the current series (4) has significantly less marketecture and product placement segments than series 3
          NS Tall and Short (Trakryder/Bilstein 2" lift with Polyairs) DiD "R", Gunmetal on BFG 270/60/17 AT's, TJM Bullbar, 9500lb Ox Winch, Icom 450, AirTech Snorkel, Cargo Barrier, Dual Battery System to power a CF 40, ScanguageII, LRA Auxillary Tank
          Custom Intercooler/Sump/Transmission Bash Plates and Sliders by http://www.bushskinz4x4.com.au/

Comment

• AndrewF
            • Jun 2011
            • Burwood East

Originally posted by chilli View Post
            Was that because his 200 series was a petrol V8 and yours a diesel?
            G'day,

It was the diesel V8 (4.5l I think?)... Seemed a great vehicle and grunty but the owner paid WELL over 100k for it, so for that price I'd expect something pretty flash... Loaded with techno bits, made it awkward sometimes following as every now and again he'd hit the "crawl" button and the vehicle would sit on about 0.1 k/mh so I'd have to stop every now and again and wait, wait, wait, lol... Seemed a great vehicle though...

Actually the patrol's on the trip also used about the same I think, about 23-24l/100... There was one patrol that was converted to a 6l v8 diesel (might have been a Cummins?), wow what a beast, NFI how much that used, lol... But wow, nuthin would stop it...
            2011 PB manual Challenger, Bushskinz, Dual batteries, 2" Ultimate lift, snorkel, ARB steel Bullbar, BFG 265/75/16 AT's, other bits n bobs.

Comment

• achjimmy
              Valued Member
              • Nov 2009
              • Blue Mtns

Originally posted by JoshF View Post
              interestingly I think the current series (4) has significantly less marketecture and product placement segments than series 3

I noticed the same josh. The Kimberly episode was excellent IMO
              Travel safe

Jim

MY13 Landcrusier VX
              MY10 Pajero Platnium with bits now sold to Spiderpig.
              99 Rodeo TD dual cab.

Comment

• Richo-NT
                Valued Member
                • Jun 2009
                • Brisbane

Guys the Pajero has had a pretty good run in the magazines over the years, it has won numerous awards, but fact of the matter is, it is now a 12 year old design trying to compete against models that are barely 18 month old designs.

Don't blame the magazines, blame Mitsubishi for not doing a proper new Pajero
                2009 NT Pajero GLX 3.2 Auto - Sold

Comment

• Ian Sharpe
                  Valued Member
                  • Nov 2000
                  • Tasmania

Originally posted by Richo-NT View Post
                  Guys the Pajero has had a pretty good run in the magazines over the years, it has won numerous awards, but fact of the matter is, it is now a 12 year old design trying to compete against models that are barely 18 month old designs.

very true!
                  NS shorty 3.8l petrol with winch, front/rear E-lockers
                  NT shorty 3.2l tdi, pretty stock with rear locker

Comment

• Stevie-Ray
                    Valued Member
                    • Jun 2009
                    • Peakhurst, Sydney

But aren't the Patrol, Prado, Landcruiser, & Hilux, etc., built on existing plaforms that have only had cosmetic changes to the bodies over the last decade or so?

Steve
                    Steve

Runner-Paj; '95 NJ SWB 2.5L TD GL J-Top, low kms Project-Paj; '92 NH SWB 3.0L V6 GLS Hardtop Triple-pack, also low kms. Donor Paj; '92 NH SWB 3.0L V6 GLS Hardtop Triple-pack, with some parts & goodies to go onto other GLS.
                    "I try to take life one day at a time, but sometimes several days attack me all at once!"

Comment

• Richo-NT
                      Valued Member
                      • Jun 2009
                      • Brisbane

Originally posted by Stevie-Ray View Post
                      But aren't the Patrol, Prado, Landcruiser, & Hilux, etc., built on existing plaforms that have only had cosmetic changes to the bodies over the last decade or so?

Steve
                      Patrol yes, but when was the last time it won an award??

Landcruiser 200 - fundamentally different to the previous 100 series, so can legitimately claim to be a 3 year old design

Landcruiser Prado 150 - fundamentally differet to the previous 120 series, so can legitimately claim to be a 2 year old design.

Hilux has been around for a while now, but again, it's not picking up any awards! Also, its 6 year old design is still 5 years younger then Pajero....

Hey I'm a Mitsubishi fan too, but seriously, the Pajero isn't winning any awards any more because Mitsubishi are dudding us by serving up an old design year after year! It's not because the magazines are biased, if that was the case it would never have won all the awards in the past it has won!

Comment

• Wrex
                        Valued Member
                        • Aug 2007
                        • Perth

If you open this particular edition of OL magazine inside the front cover says it all, yep a 2 page Toyota advert.

I drive a 120 series Prado as a coompany car in the Pilbara. If they were the same money as the Paj I would go the Prado but 10-15k difference (lift kit, diff lockers, bullbar, winch, bash plates, sliders, storage drawers etc on the Paj I am way ahead.)

Comment

• peejay68au
                          Valued Member
                          • Jul 2007
                          • nsw

It's not because the magazines are biased, if that was the case it would never have won all the awards in the past it has won!
                          The magazine wasn't owned by the same mob that run 4wdaction either. They are biased towards toyota and arb.
                          ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                          It's not what you look at that matters, it's what you see.

Henry David Thoreau

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Comment

• Richo-NT
                            Valued Member
                            • Jun 2009
                            • Brisbane

Originally posted by peejay68au View Post
                            The magazine wasn't owned by the same mob that run 4wdaction either. They are biased towards toyota and arb.
                            Then why does 4WD Action give Nissan such a good run then, who are Ford to Toyota's Holden?

Sorry, but I just don't buy this magazine bias bullsht, and that's what it is quite frankly.

When the Pajero won 4WD of the year you had the guys at Prado Point saying it was fixed and biased and paid for in advertising etc, and us Pajero owners said how much of a poor sport they all where and they couldn't handle the facts and blah blah, but now the shoe is on the other foot...

And this is coming from a Pajero owner!

Guys seriously, just cop it on the chin! These things go in cycles, sometimes the Pajero is ahead, then Toyota makes improvements and the Prado is in front, then Mitsubishi make improvements, etc etc. At this exact moment the Prado is ahead in the cycle, just live with it! in 18 months time it will probably be situation normal again

Comment

• Lance
                              Valued Member
                              • Aug 2009
                              • Melbourne

Very likely, no matter who the winner is, that after the decision is made
                              the publishers approach the manufacturers to place solid advertising to promote and take full advantage of the win.

A good strong marketing bloke could pump the winning builder for lotsa advertising dollars, but it's probably done after the comp is run and won.
                              2005 NP Platinum Edition, DiD Auto
                              2009 VW Crafter motorhome

Comment

• Richo-NT
                                Valued Member
                                • Jun 2009
                                • Brisbane

Originally posted by Lance View Post
                                Very likely, no matter who the winner is, that after the decision is made
                                the publishers approach the manufacturers to place solid advertising to promote and take full advantage of the win.

A good strong marketing bloke could pump the winning builder for lotsa advertising dollars, but it's probably done after the comp is run and won.
                                The nature of the magazine business is that the January edition is finished in about November to give the sales department time to sell the ad space with knowledge of what the magazines content is.

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X