• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Craig Williams
    • Aug 2014
    • Gold Coast

IMPORT 1988 Pajero 2.5TD Correct Rear Brakes

If you own an IMPORT 1988 Pajero 2.5TD 11/88 NF, like mine getting the correct Rear Brake Rotor and Pads can be a real learning curve. This article should take some of the hassle out for you.
    First, any IMPORT is NOT standard Year Model parts. as I found out! Mitsubishi selected different components for the brakes! A 1988 is an NE/NF but be cautious as between 9/1988 and 8/1991 Imports have very different brake components to the standard vehicle for your Country, in my case Australia. My Import has disc rear end which is not even mentioned in Haynes Manuals! And the pads are not DBA1238, which is what you will be quoted. The closest is DB1231, even they are not an exact match. They look like
    Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1299.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	189.0 KB
ID:	994008
    but the ones I naively purchased liked like this

Name:	IMG_1275.jpg
Size:	184.8 KB
ID:	994009
    The correct pads came in this box RDX2058SM made by RDA, and cost me $73 AUD from Proservauto in Western Australia. Another good store is Milners in the UK, but whilst the pads are cheaper to buy the postage would make them over $100AUD. delivered to Australia. Below is a picture on the box the new pads came in.

Name:	IMG_1300.jpg
Size:	188.6 KB
ID:	994010
    Here is a photo of the old pads in place

Name:	IMG_1272.jpg
Size:	199.4 KB
ID:	994011
    Here is the bottom line. The IMPORT has a disc rotor diameter of 322mm the overall height is 76mm the hub diameter is 93.5, (not 108mm, which is the size most stores will quote you) and the original thickness is 10mm and minimal allowed machined thickness is 8mm. Also the rear disc has the hand brake cable attached to the back of it so to retract the piston for new pads, the piston has to be "wound" back in clockwise with a "wind back" tool (refer to Part 2). Do not compress it with a G Clamp like you can do to the Front piston, to replace its pads. The front disc obviously has no hand brake cable attached so the conventional method will work, but not on the rears! My local Mitsubishi Dealership on the Gold Coast said the disc rotors are discontinued and would have cost $276, he suggested calling DBA. DBA 238 is the code for the rear disc rotors in Australia and there are 4 left in the Country according to Gary who works there. 2 in Melbourne and 2 in Perth, once they are gone they will not be replaced, you will have to try the UK Shogun or USA Montero.

To be continued over the next few days, in Part 2 (as I get the new pads fitted and the rear disc rotor machined at my local mechanics, for $66AUD for the pair, as I do not have the machine to do them myself.
    Last edited by Craig Williams; 13-04-17, 06:42 PM.
  • Craig Williams
    • Aug 2014
    • Gold Coast

IMPORT 1988 Pajero 2.5TD Correct Rear Brakes Part 2

IMPORT Pajero 2.5TD Correct Rear Brakes Part 2
    Remove the wheel, 6 bolts M21s.
    Remove the Brake Caliper two 17mm bolts
    Remove the single M12 bolt which holds the brake cable to the lower frame of the vehicle near the rear wheel (as it restricts the removal of the caliper somewhat).
    Carefully lift the brake caliper off and prop it up using wire if necessary to "carry the weight" of the caliper, do not let it "hang" off the hydraulic brake hose.
    Remove the disc rotor use two M8 bolts threaded into the two holes to "pop" the disc rotor off

Name:	IMG_1320_2.jpg
Size:	190.3 KB
ID:	971530
    Remove both pads. Now screw the caliper back on (even though you just took it off, trust me)!

Name:	IMG_1322_2.jpg
Size:	183.4 KB
ID:	971531
    Then, using a G clamp as in the picture below, clamp the caliper so it will not slide back as you use the "wind back tool" which costs $16.50 from Supercheap Auto. It is pictured in the photo below at the bottom of the picture, just below the backing plate.

Name:	IMG_1325_2.jpg
Size:	187.8 KB
ID:	971532
    Now place the wind back tool into the two slots in the caliper piston and wind it clockwise. Both sides of the vehicle wind back in, in a clockwise direction on your IMPORT Pajero (some vehicles may require you to wind clockwise on the drivers side and anti-clockwise on the LHS passenger side).

Name:	IMG_1326_2.jpg
Size:	183.6 KB
ID:	971533
    Once the piston will not wind back in any further, it has seated in its original position, MAKE SURE THE "NOTCH" IS AT THE TOP DEAD CENTRE, so the protrusion on the pad's back will align into it, and it is now time to insert your two new pads (with the protrusion sitting in the notch).

Name:	IMG_1328_2.jpg
Size:	184.2 KB
ID:	971534
    Now put it all back together.
    In Part 3, I have included some other useful information for the novice. It is like an Appendix.
    Last edited by Craig Williams; 20-04-19, 10:16 PM. Reason: typo

Comment

• Craig Williams
      • Aug 2014
      • Gold Coast

IMPORT 1988 Pajero 2.5TD Correct Rear Brakes Part 3

RIMPORT 1988 Pajero 2.5TD Correct Rear Brakes Part 3
      In this part I have include some details about the process which a novice may find useful.
      To remove the caliber there is one M17 bolts at the top

Name:	IMG_1330_2.jpg
Size:	182.2 KB
ID:	971535
      and one M17 on the bottom of the caliber

Name:	IMG_1332_2.jpg
Size:	192.3 KB
ID:	971536
      Here is a close up of the outside of the new pad. The pads have to be inserted into their spring clips which are designed to hold them in place and stop rattling. They are a little fiddly to fit, just take your time and make sure you seat them in exactly the same way as the old ones were! The pads cost me $73 AUD from Proservauto in Western Australia. Milners in the UK also had them. Both of these companies also sell the disc rotors if yours have been machined below 8mm. They are not listed in Bendix Catalogue, the closest is DB 1231, but they are not an exact match!

Name:	IMG_1338_2.jpg
Size:	187.4 KB
ID:	971537
      and the working part, its inside

Name:	IMG_1339_2.jpg
Size:	200.8 KB
ID:	971538
      and finally here are all the tools I used for the job

Name:	IMG_1343_2.jpg
Size:	189.2 KB
ID:	971539
      This is intended as an Appendix to Part 1 and Part 2 and gives some extra details for those who have never attempted brake pads before.
      Last edited by Craig Williams; 29-07-15, 08:25 AM.

Comment

• Craig Williams
        • Aug 2014
        • Gold Coast

Markanya - Hey Craig, I saw you message on the Pajero 4WD Club of Victoria forum. My Pajero also has rear disc brakes. I have put a kits through the calipers which had to be ordered from the UK! Anyway I have them back on the car now. Is your handbrake assembly also integrated into the rear caliper? YES
        do you know if there is a way to adjust them the handbrake mechanism? SEE HAYNES MANUAL PHOTOS BELOW
        For example, I noticed the handbrake lever on the caliper no longer returns all the way back. Not sure about this but something is out of adjustment
        I saw some cars with with similar systems have an adjusting screw for the handbrake/caliper piston connection (if that makes sense). Do you know anything about this? I have not had to adjust my hand brake cable so I have photoed from the Haynes Manual the relevant sections for you. Print them off and I hope they help.

Name:	IMG_1894.jpg
Size:	197.3 KB
ID:	972750

Name:	IMG_1893.jpg
Size:	195.1 KB
ID:	972751
        My handbrake is working fine (6 clicks). My Pajero is five clicks
        I'm just fishing for info to see if I have missed anything. Regards and thanks again for your post! Mark (Brisbane). Let me know how you go, Craig
        Last edited by Craig Williams; 26-04-15, 09:45 PM.

Comment

• Jeffrey
          • Feb 2015
          • Pinjarra WA

NG Pajero

Hi I had trouble getting pads, I got the front ones re-bonded in Melbourne, and got the calliper kits on eBay from America as the closest I could get here was a kit from Mazda but it did not have the dust boot in it.

Comment

• old dave
            • Nov 2010
            • Adelaide

Rear Pads

Outbound auto parts, Brighton Road, Adelaide, had rear pads for the 1988 Import SWB ...

They had a good reputation for holding a large range of spares and I went there first and they had them.... I think they were $36... now they are a Repco franchise and things may be a lot different..

I generally just buy parts from Amayama Trading Co on line...most items are expensive but at least they have them...

My 1989 import LWB has drums at the rear, so Pajero rear brakes of the era are hard to fathom... it has a lot better handbrake action than the rear disc caliper handbrake on the SWB...

Incidently SWB Pajero owners should take advantage of all the twin calliper front brakes going to the crusher on series 2 wrecks, grab a set for $80 and replace the single piston standard set up...particularly if you tow,
            Attached Files
            12/88 NF SWB Turbo Diesel
            7/89 NG Super Exceed V6

Comment

• tuffpajNT
              • Dec 2014
              • Darwin

would the pads work from Bendix (DB1238)?

Comment

• Bernoulli
                • Jun 2007
                • Oregon, USA

When I was in Australia, I bought a MMC set for my '88 import. My memory is that they exceeded $100. I never used them. I'll check on postage from the U.S. Perhaps they can return home.
                89 3.0L 5Spd SWB Raider in NW USA

Comment

• Davey89SWBGen1
                  • Mar 2016
                  • Canada

Brake Information

This was very helpful for me and also nice to know that I am not the only one having trouble finding parts. I currently have a 1989 SWB with the rear disc brakes but my trouble is much greater. It seems that the rear pad came loose at one point and the piston was touching the rotor for a while. Due to this I need to either find a whole new caliper...or find a proper rebuild kit that also has the piston. Can anyone help with the part number or place to purchase.
                  (Lastly, I live in Ontario Canada and every time I ask about shipping, no body wants to get back to me.)
                  Any information will help.
                  Thanks

Comment

• Craig Williams
                    • Aug 2014
                    • Gold Coast

TuffpajNT - Bendix DB 1238 will not fit an Import

Comment

• Craig Williams
                      • Aug 2014
                      • Gold Coast

Just brought a set of rear brake pads RDX2058Sm off eBay for $61 which fit a Pajero SWB 1988 IMPORT 2.5TDI

Comment

• Zachman
                        • Jul 2018
                        • Brisbane

Originally posted by Craig Williams View Post
                        Just brought a set of rear brake pads RDX2058Sm off eBay for $61 which fit a Pajero SWB 1988 IMPORT 2.5TDI
                        Very useful info - thanks!

Comment

• Jeffrey
                          • Feb 2015
                          • Pinjarra WA

Brakes

Hi I got my rear pads rebonded some time ago as trying to get to right ones on my Oct.1989 build was a pain. Sometime later I had a problem with the rear caliper piston and at the time the only rear caliper I could get was on Ebay(UK) at $300 a caliper. So I ended up using a 38mm piston from a Honda and it has worked fine with the rear brakes, but I only have one rear handbrake as I had to anchor the side with the new piston but it does hold.....Cheers Jeff

Comment

• Craig Williams
                            • Aug 2014
                            • Gold Coast

Definitely not bending 1238

Yes I did state that right at the start go to part one

Comment

• Craig Williams
                              • Aug 2014
                              • Gold Coast

5 yrs later

Today I just fitted a new set of rear brake pads to the import Pajero, it is now five years later and 60,000 km they had worn out, there was half a milimetre left on one of them, so I just got to them in time!

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X