• Show
Clear All
  • old Jack
    Regular
    • Jun 2011
    • Adelaide, South Australia.

Originally posted by Camsally View Post
    Hello OJ

I have been reading this thread and have had my Bilsteins with kings springs fitted now for 4 years and 130000 km. 70000 km towing and 35000 km of this on dirt. Trips to kimberly and kakadu, western queensland and gulf country.
    I had my suspension checked in fear from your reports of failure and no problems with struts. Will probably look at the strut rebuild around 150000km.
    The king springs have been fantastic and i have airbags in the rear also, great for towing.
    Thanks Cam,

I am sure your post has given many some comfort and confidence in their Bilstein/King combination.
    Some serious kms and great destinations under your belt so your suspension is well and truly used in tough touring conditions.

I have not been able to fault the ride comfort or control of the Bilsteins so I am in 2 minds whether to go back down the Bilstein path again but with King springs or try something different.

If you have a chance to send a photo of your strut at full droop without the wheel fitted that would be great, if it is too hard then don't worry.

From what I have read the cost of a rebuild is about 80% of new price and you have to be without the shockers for a week or so.

OJ.
    2011 PB Base White Auto, Smartbar, Cooper STMaxx LT235/85R-16,TPMS, HR TB, 3 x Bushskinz, front +40mm Dobinson , rear +50mm EHDVR Lovells, Dobinson MT struts and shockers, Peddars 5899 cone springs, Windcheater rack, GME UHF, Custom alloy drawer system inc. 30lt Engel & 2 x 30 AH LiFePo batteries + elec controls, Tailgate hi-lift/long struts, Phillips +100 LB & HB, Lightforce 20" single row driving beam LED lightbar, Scanguage II.
    MM4x4 Auto Mate, Serial No 1 .

Comment

• coughy
      Valued Member
      • May 2014
      • Redlands Brisbane QLD

here oj i just found my stock suspension picky if it interestes you
      when i was changing out to my lift

My10 PB XLS ,Opposite lock 3 hoop black bullbar ,HID XRAY200MM Spotlights ,Uniden UHF radio,EGR off,Rear cargo barrier,Turbo Replacment and only 45K,265/70 trail climbers, 26 psi boost and 3" full turbo back custom install exhaust ,hid 35 watt driving low beam,Custom day LED running lights,dual battery kit and wiring ,105amp hour battery , 50 AMP anderson plug front and back ,raised 2" Electric Brake controller.
      New Custom Ultimate diesel tuning REMAP,custom rail limiter.

Comment

• old Jack
        Regular
        • Jun 2011

Great, thanks, yes it does interest me because now I have a direct comparison to work with.

OJ.
        2011 PB Base White Auto, Smartbar, Cooper STMaxx LT235/85R-16,TPMS, HR TB, 3 x Bushskinz, front +40mm Dobinson , rear +50mm EHDVR Lovells, Dobinson MT struts and shockers, Peddars 5899 cone springs, Windcheater rack, GME UHF, Custom alloy drawer system inc. 30lt Engel & 2 x 30 AH LiFePo batteries + elec controls, Tailgate hi-lift/long struts, Phillips +100 LB & HB, Lightforce 20" single row driving beam LED lightbar, Scanguage II.

Comment

• aus_andyk
          • Nov 2013
          • Melbourne

Did you want to see what the Dobinson MRRs looked like at full droop OJ?

Sent from my Redmi 3S using Tapatalk
          | PC Challenger Manual MY14 | Front eLocker | Dobinson MRR | 3.15 Gears | ARB Deluxe Bar | Runva 11XP | Bushskinz Sliders & Guards | Kaymar Rear Bar | LRA Tank | Safari Snorkel | Mickey Thompson ATZ P3 | Rhino Pioneer Platform | Foxwing Awning | Drifta Drawers | Lightforce Venom | Stedi Lightbar | Viair 480C | ARB 47L Fridge | GME TX3500 | TraxRax |

Comment

• old Jack
            Regular
            • Jun 2011

Originally posted by aus_andyk View Post
            Did you want to see what the Dobinson MRRs looked like at full droop OJ?

Sent from my Redmi 3S using Tapatalk
            Yes please,

OJ.

Comment

• aus_andyk
              • Nov 2013
              • Melbourne

Will grab a shot tomorrow night when rotating the tyres. Just the standard shots or you wanted to capture more?
              | PC Challenger Manual MY14 | Front eLocker | Dobinson MRR | 3.15 Gears | ARB Deluxe Bar | Runva 11XP | Bushskinz Sliders & Guards | Kaymar Rear Bar | LRA Tank | Safari Snorkel | Mickey Thompson ATZ P3 | Rhino Pioneer Platform | Foxwing Awning | Drifta Drawers | Lightforce Venom | Stedi Lightbar | Viair 480C | ARB 47L Fridge | GME TX3500 | TraxRax |

Comment

• itsamitsi
                Valued Member
                • Aug 2015
                • Hervey Bay Queensland

I've got my standard struts still assembled in the shed if you want a close up of that OJ.
                Paul 2015 PC Challenger LS Auto - 2" Ultimate lift, Duraturn 265/70/17 A/Ts , catch can and resistor mod, Custom MCC Bullbar ,12000lb winch , Dual batteries ,Boo's Bash plates ,E-Drive throttle controller,Auto Mate, In car entertainment and more.

Comment

• Camsally
                  • Jul 2012
                  • Toowoomba

Hello OJ.
                  On another thread we were talking about brakes and I was saying I was still on the original pads at 130000km. Well I had a service last weeks as there was some shudder when braking with the camper going to Ballarat and back to Toowoomba after new year.

Mechanic said that the fronts still had about 25-30 percent left and the rear were 10 percent left. They only had to machine the discs as they were fine and new pads. Now I am booked in for a tyre rotation and balance and wheel alignment so I am going to have my suspension guys take a photo for you of the kings and bilstein shocks on the front. I have the original front and rear setups at home so will take a static photo also. As we are four years into the suspension I will get them to check that also.
                  2012 PB LS Auto, Cooper AT3 265/65/17, ARB bar, Redarc Dual Battery controller, Scangauge II, TPMS, King Springs 2" (200Kg rear springs), Bilstein Shocks and Air Bags, Factory tow bar, Anderson plug, Rear single draw ORS, Foxwing awning, Rhino roof racks and Tracks, Uniden UHF 80 Channel, 7" Chinese GPS with OziExplorer and Hema maps, Engel fridge and ORS slide, IPF 800 HID converted Spotties, 20" Light Bar, 110lt replacement tank, Complete Campsite 2010 Exodus 11 Off Road camper

Comment

• bmurray2250
                    • Jan 2011
                    • Brisbane

Presently nursing my Challenger from Longreach to Brisbane where both front Bilstein leaking oil. I have Dobinson heavy duty coils.

Not happy 😠

Comment

• littleriver
                      Valued Member
                      • Jan 2013
                      • Queensland

Originally posted by bmurray2250 View Post
                      Presently nursing my Challenger from Longreach to Brisbane where both front Bilstein leaking oil. I have Dobinson heavy duty coils.

Not happy 😠
                      OzTec 4wd Suspension is a 4WD range made for the Australian market. It prides itself in making 4wd long travel and standard shock absorbers giving suspension lifts. The OzTec 4wd suspension Shocks are great off road suspension made by both Cofap and

their website is a little outdated but is in the works of getting an overhaul

did more reading into them and seems like they come from the same factory as the TJM shocks .. will be putting a rear set on in the near future as have just purchased ... (good pricing/warranty)

2012 PB Challenger LS (Manual) Safari Snorkel, OZtec shocks front & rear with King Springs (lift 2 inch) , 22 inch light bar on ECB Nudge bar, roof racks & basket, Bridgestone Duelers 697 LT A/T (116S), Uniden Dash cam, Oricom 2 way radio 80 channel, Ipod connected via glove box usb, Waeco cf50, Garmin gps (with topo), Opticoat + paint protection, Nilrust proofing, Roosystems Ecu Remap

Comment

• old Jack
                        Regular
                        • Jun 2011

Not happy 😠
                        I still have not replaced my right front Bilstein as I have not decided what to do. Too busy with work and other stuff at the moment. Strut initially leaked for a few weeks and now it has slowed down to a weep. Doing the bounce test on the front it is difficult to tell the difference between left and right. When driving the only difference I think I can feel is slightly more nose dive on the right but I could be imaging it since I know the strut is not 100%.

If the car is still handling ok then no need to nurse it, maybe drop a few psi from the tyres on rough roads.

At this stage I still believe it is the springs that are causing the Bilstein failures. Any coil that does not have the top winds ground flat puts a sideboard on the struts and this flexes the shafts.

OJ.

Comment

• Ent
                          Valued Member
                          • Apr 2014
                          • Tasmania

Still delighted with my Drummond Motor Sport front struts. Now done 70,000 ms on them. Bit more cranking up needed once rear springs go in and then DooSo back to full off-road height. They work a treat with the steel bullbar and winch so nothing more needed than winding them up to proper height after adding the bar and winch. Indeed, DooSo with all the steel front and rear is very balanced and handles beautifully at the moment, so hopefully the new rear springs will not stuff up the neutral handling.

In all wrapped how DooSo rides and handles at the moment. But the test will be with full load on board.
                          2014 PC Challenger, manual, factory tow-bar, factory front diff protector, TJM inter-cooler plate, Bushskinz manual transmission protection plate, ProRack S16 roof racks, front elocker, Drummond Motor Sport front struts, custom 16mm King rear springs with Bilstein Dampeners, Buzz Rack Runner 3 bike platform, Eclipse Nav head unit, GME TX3800BW UHF, 16x8 CSA Raptor rims, 265/75R16 Maxxis MT-762, orToyo AT/2 265/70R16 Triton rims, BFGoodrich 235/85/R16 Triton rims, or Factory tyres and rims.

Comment

• bmurray2250
                            • Jan 2011
                            • Brisbane

Originally posted by old Jack View Post
                            I still have not replaced my right front Bilstein as I have not decided what to do. Too busy with work and other stuff at the moment. Strut initially leaked for a few weeks and now it has slowed down to a weep. Doing the bounce test on the front it is difficult to tell the difference between left and right. When driving the only difference I think I can feel is slightly more nose dive on the right but I could be imaging it since I know the strut is not 100%.

If the car is still handling ok then no need to nurse it, maybe drop a few psi from the tyres on rough roads.

At this stage I still believe it is the springs that are causing the Bilstein failures. Any coil that does not have the top winds ground flat puts a sideboard on the struts and this flexes the shafts.

OJ.
                            I have nursed the Challenger in to Brisbane from Longreach and handled OK. The front right is now stopped leaking, so expect if have no oil left but the left is still leaking. The struts will be removed on Wednesday and sent to Bilstein for warranty replacement. The shocks are 13 months old but I understand Bilstein are good with there warranty even a month or 2 passed the 12 months

Comment

• old Jack
                              Regular
                              • Jun 2011

I have nursed the Challenger in to Brisbane from Longreach and handled OK. The front right is now stopped leaking, so expect if have no oil left but the left is still leaking. The struts will be removed on Wednesday and sent to Bilstein for warranty replacement. The shocks are 13 months old but I understand Bilstein are good with there warranty even a month or 2 passed the 12 months
                              Of the 3 Bilstein front struts I have that have fail all have leaked oil then slowed down to a weep and when the struts have been removed have nitrogen pressure. Only s lsght loss of dampening control could be detected. All shafts were scored/dull on one side of the shaft only and in a small section where the shaft normally runs. None of the shockers have been repairable because of shaft damage and only one was replaced under warranty even though it had 30,000km of use the other 2 shockers had 40,000 and 65,000kms of use.

What coils are you using?
                              Are the top winds ground flat? If not then I suggest you change coils as I believe this causes the problems due to shaft flex that chops out the seals, combined with the high pressure nitrogen charge of the Bilstein design.

Best of Luck,

OJ

Comment

• 4wd26
                                Valued Member
                                • Jun 2007
                                • Bayside, Brisbane & Stradie

either change coils or shocks.

From my experience Bilstien will not warrant if the shaft is the problem as they will blame the coil and you mention dobbinson HD coils and they don't have a taper, I know, been through this whole experience.

the cost of fixing you can purchase a new billie strut for around $50 more as the rebuild and shaft costs that......

I also never noticed much change in effect of the dampening, but didn't want a catastrophic failure at the worst possible time- rather be preventative than reactive.

There is nothing wrong with the coil, just that the bilstien shocks are not suited to particular coils. you might have a chance with the supplier of the aftermarket suspension?
                                ML triton with some accessories
                                National E Trek Libary
                                Getting Out There

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X