• Show
Clear All
  • Alex86
    Valued Member
    • Jul 2007
    • Here and there

General aircon question

Posting a question for someone else (with a 98 GLS):

Up around Canberra and Dubbo in 40 degree plus heat and the aircon in the NL LWB seems to be struggling a bit so, out of interest, I sourced a thermometer to stick in one of the dash outlets to take some readings.
    With ECON selected, the air out of the vents is 15 degrees Celsius. When A/C is selected the temperature drops to 10 degrees.
    How does this compare generally and is it a bit too high in either case?
    '99 NL Escape, Manual - Bullbar, roofrack, cargo barrier, D697LT, Tough Dogs, dual batts, rear draws, Narva 225 HID, UHF, led bar etc
    Towing: 4.8m Savage Centurion half-cab w/75hp Mariner

'99 NL GLS SWB, Auto - Bullbar, D697LT, spotties, UHF, Koni adjustables & King springs.

Wanted: Adventure.
  • Keithyv
    Valued Member
    • May 2018
    • Perth

Too high. Should be 4 or 5 degrees C at the dash outlets if all is well. This is just going on what a car A/C guy told me once.
    2014 NW MY14 3.2 DID GLX-R Auto. Champagne in colour!
    MM Lockup mate. King KCRS-35 rear springs. Monroe Gas Magnum TDT rear shocks. 3M color stable tint all round. Spare wheel lift kit. 'Dynamat' in all doors and rear cargo area. Pioneer AVH-Z5150BT Head Unit. Upgraded Speakers. Rear (2nd row) USB outlet. Factory nudge bar with LED light bar. Provent catch can. LED interior lights. Rear cargo area twin Andersons and Merit socket. Anderson plug in rear bumper. 6 channel TPMS.

Comment

• Meth'd_up_Mitsi
      • Nov 2019
      • Caboolture

That's working pretty well then. 10°C is really good, probably too cold.. the lowest most home A/C and current car climate control aircon is only 16deg.. sure you might be able to get it a tad lower on recirc.. but they won't go much lower than that unless you're in Alpine climates. It's also a health risk to have air that cold blowing on you as it can and will cause hypothermic conditions..

Sent from my SM-N975F using Tapatalk

Comment

• pharb
        Valued Member
        • Jul 2007
        • Tyers,Vic

Originally posted by Keithyv View Post
        Too high. Should be 4 or 5 degrees C at the dash outlets if all is well. This is just going on what a car A/C guy told me once.
        Many many years ago when I was an apprentice we would consider 5 degrees at vent perfect, but depends on air speed and ambient temperature whether you can get down that low.

Temperature at outlet has to be significantly lower than actual cabin temperature to maintain suitable cabin temperature, otherwise the system will not be able to overcome the ambient heat infitrating trom outside.

On a modern system where you set a temperature instead of just a hot/cold dial, the number is desired cabin temperature, not vent temperature.
        PCOV Member 1107.
        Daily driver NX GLX
        Semi retired NL GLS 3.5 (no airbags) in almost prestine condition to replace NJ.
        Virtually fully retired NJ 2.8TD
        Previously - NB LWB, NA SWB.

Comment

• nj swb
          Resident
          • Jun 2007
          • Adelaide

Originally posted by Meth'd_up_Mitsi View Post
          It's also a health risk to have air that cold blowing on you as it can and will cause hypothermic conditions.
          Really? How did anybody ever survive all those years of aircon vents blowing single digit temperatures?
          NT Platinum. DiD Auto with 265/70R17 ST Maxx, Lift, Lockers, Lockup Mate, Low range reduction, LRA Aux tank, bull bar, winch, lots of touring stuff. Flappy paddles. MMCS is gone!

Project: NJ SWB. 285/75R16 ST Maxx, 2" OME suspension, 2" body lift, ARB 110, 120l tank, bullbar, scratches, no major dents. Fully engineered in SA. NW DiD & auto in place - a long way to go....

Scorpro Explorer Box

Comment

• Meth'd_up_Mitsi
            • Nov 2019
            • Caboolture

Well that was the old days. This day and age you can get sued for anything & everything.

Sent from my SM-N975F using Tapatalk

Comment

• nj swb
              Resident
              • Jun 2007
              • Adelaide

In the driveway this afternoon, as I was about to go out. Dash display said ambient of 25 degrees.

2010 Pajero.
              Attached Files
              NT Platinum. DiD Auto with 265/70R17 ST Maxx, Lift, Lockers, Lockup Mate, Low range reduction, LRA Aux tank, bull bar, winch, lots of touring stuff. Flappy paddles. MMCS is gone!

Project: NJ SWB. 285/75R16 ST Maxx, 2" OME suspension, 2" body lift, ARB 110, 120l tank, bullbar, scratches, no major dents. Fully engineered in SA. NW DiD & auto in place - a long way to go....

Scorpro Explorer Box

Comment

• Alex86
                Valued Member
                • Jul 2007
                • Here and there

Good info thanks. They’ve been looking at the thread.

I’ll pick myself up a little stick thermometer one day and put it in my own vent, just because I can. Kind of interested.
                '99 NL Escape, Manual - Bullbar, roofrack, cargo barrier, D697LT, Tough Dogs, dual batts, rear draws, Narva 225 HID, UHF, led bar etc

'99 NL GLS SWB, Auto - Bullbar, D697LT, spotties, UHF, Koni adjustables & King springs.

Comment

• DWC
                  • Jul 2007
                  • Newcastle

Originally posted by nj swb View Post
                  Really? How did anybody ever survive all those years of aircon vents blowing single digit temperatures?
                  I remember my father's TE cortina blowing ice from the aircon and freezing the t-bar
                  '96 NJ ̶D̶O̶H̶C̶, 4M40/AUTO conversion, 2" TJM lift, Alloy bar, Dual Batteries,
                  Icom UHF, 31" Mickey Thompson MTZ's, Cibie Super Oscars, Aldi 9500lb winch.
                  Conversion thread:
                  http:// https://www2.pajeroclub.com....ad.php?t=50484

Comment

• gemster
                    Valued Member
                    • Aug 2012
                    • Gold Coast

Perhaps it just needs a service... Re-gas as it can loose its use over time...

Gemster...
                    YES. ITS A MITZY . 97 NL 3.5 GLS AUTO (Formally owned by geopaj)__ Snorkel ,2 Uniden Uhfs , Roof Console, 2"lift, TT Suspension, Dual bat, Redarc System, BFG KO2's All Terrains, 55L sub tank, Pioneer sound, Milford cargo barrier, Extractors, SS exhaust, Rear camp light, Free Wheel Hubs, Improved Rear Storage unit, Alarm, Led interior lamps...
                    And a 1999 NL LWB... Called 'Project Covid".. Stock Standard.
                    ..Both with No Airbags. We die like real Men

Comment

• arrow
                      Valued Member
                      • Nov 2007

Thanks, it was for me that the original post was made as I didn't have internet access at the time.
                      The intent was to determine what was a realistic reading towards deciding if the system needed topping up which, from the replies, needs doing. Now that I'm back in civilisation I will get the car to an auto air-cond place (when it eventually arrives in Melbourne **) armed with the knowledge of what is a reasonable air-conditioning expectation. Thanks for all the replies.

** On the trip home the crankshaft bolt snapped and the harmonic balancer fell off. We managed to limp into a nearby town where they were able to extract what remained of the bolt from the crankshaft end and fit a new harmonic balancer. Picked the car up and drove it to the motel to load the bags. Then, when starting for the drive home it wouldn't fire up. They towed it back to the workshop and got it going, they suspected some water ingress after giving it a pretty strong pressure wash. After they took it for around a 12km test drive I went back to collect it again but with the same result - I couldn't start it.
                      After lots of effort they reckon the CAS was possibly damaged when the harmonic balancer came adrift but they hadn't picked it.
                      End result was a hire car home and the car (with trailer) to follow on a flat bed in a few days for rectification at my usual mechanics.

Comment

• WHID
                        • Oct 2019
                        • Melbourne

Originally posted by arrow View Post
                        . . . On the trip home the crankshaft bolt snapped and the harmonic balancer fell off. . . . (after a repair) when starting for the drive home it wouldn't fire up. . . . back to the workshop . . . they suspected some water ingress. . . . (after another 'repair') I went back to collect it again but . . . couldn't start it.
                        . . . hire car home and the car (with trailer) to follow on a flat bed . . .
                        Oh, the joy, what unmitigated joy.

Good luck with all that . . .
                        Paj. Sport Exceed MY2019 - 'Genuine' Tow Bar / Boo's Bash Plates / SS Hoops on an Ironman Bull Bar with Recovery Points / 7" 48W LED Driving Lights / Western Filters/Provent 200 Catch Can / at 3,400km, its first pin-stripes - *he winces*

Comment

• Mulcher
                          • Mar 2019
                          • Melbourne

Aircon thermostat setting

Just confirming that 4 deg C was a good setting and what we used to aim for when setting A/C thermostats in vehicles. Old Auto Elec

Comment

• disco stu
                            Valued Member
                            • Dec 2018
                            • Wollongong

I thought you were in the US mulcher? Just noticed your local says Melbourne now

Comment

• Alex86
                              Valued Member
                              • Jul 2007
                              • Here and there

There’s a Melbourne in Florida....

Anyways, mine only gets down to about 9 deg. It’s definitely nice and cold.
                              Using a cheapo kitchen thermometer that’s by no means confirmed accurate!

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X