• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Newton1!
    • Jan 2012
    • Nabiac NSW

SPV Industries EGR Module Mk3.1

Hi Everyone

I have read a lot here about the EGR Module from SPV Industries and generally everyone seems impressed, certainly in the comments I have read.

I just got a free manifold clean at my 105K (300km's ago) so i thought i would block off the EGR. I have 2 options, one is a blanking plate I have leftover from the old triton with no hole and I have been discussing SPVi Module Mk3.1 which is plug n play with Tony from SPVi.

Obviously the module isn't the cheaper option, but I remember the knuckle attack my triton would unleash every time i installed or removed the plate.

So, has anybody had good bad or indifferent results from SPVi - any module but also in particular the Mk 3.1 i am looking at.

Any commentary would be highly regarded

James
    James

"I get knocked down but I get up again, ......eventually"
  • NFT5
    Valued Member
    • Apr 2011
    • Canberra

Lots of comments in both the Pajero and Challenger threads on this subject.

I didn't know they had model numbers but there is a new plug'n'play version that will save your knuckles.

Yes, they do work. Better than the blanking plates.
    Chris

Comment

• old Jack
      Regular
      • Jun 2011
      • Adelaide, South Australia.

The Challenger thread,

cheers, old Jack.
      2011 PB Base White Auto, Smartbar, Cooper STMaxx LT235/85R-16,TPMS, HR TB, 3 x Bushskinz, front +40mm Dobinson , rear +50mm EHDVR Lovells, Dobinson MT struts and shockers, Peddars 5899 cone springs, Windcheater rack, GME UHF, Custom alloy drawer system inc. 30lt Engel & 2 x 30 AH LiFePo batteries + elec controls, Tailgate hi-lift/long struts, Phillips +100 LB & HB, Lightforce 20" single row driving beam LED lightbar, Scanguage II.
      MM4x4 Auto Mate, Serial No 1 .

Comment

• Newton1!
        • Jan 2012
        • Nabiac NSW

Thanks everyone, I can see i should have looked across the road at the Challenger thread.

I will get this out to them asap and will report back to everyone later and let you know how we go
        James

Comment

• csimic
          Valued Member
          • Mar 2012
          • Maitland

Gas has to go somewhere

Hi when I blocked my egr with a stainless steel plate with a 8mm hole in it for some reason at the time the paj felt better but my fuel consumption went up about 1 litre per 100km over a 6 month test. My intercooler was being filled with oil which was about 60ml per 1000km. I got rid of this by accelerating harshly every now and then sending huge clouds of black smoke all over any vehicle behind lol. Now an old mechanic friend of mine said to me what do you expect if you block the flow of anything off it is going to find another route so you will blow seals or it will blow out of the pcv hole in excess. Close that off and you will blow out the seals and gaskets and seen as he is a forensic physicist I listened to him and took the EGR plate out. Now it seems to be running fine. The fellow from Berima Diesel who was a really nice guy and talked me out of getting a free flow exhaust tolf me to use Fuelsaver Diesel Conditioner and I woul not have a carbon build up problem and everything including the injectors would be lubricated. The engine has never rad better and as advised I now only use BP Ultimate from high turnover truck stops and the paj has never ran better. When I take the PCV valve hose off the engine is still puffing out a fine spray of oil anf fumes. I was going to get the NT Pajero Provent 200 conversion complete with braided hoses clips and one way valves to suit the 4m41 NT 3.2 diesel engine. These can be bought in a kit with everything ready to fit straight onto the NT diesels great stuff Rob at Chip tuning Londonary NSW has even taken the Provent 2000 and remanufactured i so it is his version of the legendary German made Provent 200, he still calls it the Provent 200 but it has his modifications in the way of larger intakes and one way valves. Western Filters are the distributors of the genuine unit imported from Germany. So take your pick they are said to be easily fitted. Then just as i was going to order one for our tow Paj someone puts a Post on the club site saying they are crap and blaming the Provent 200 for blowing his oil seals and gaskets. Stuff me now once again I don't which way to go again. Any comments appreciated by the way the fellow at Western filters bent over backwards for me they only stock and sell top line filters and full kits for Pajeros at a great price and he is fully insured should you have a problem with one of his filters. Great bloke, good gear remember them put Western Filters on your fridge or in you diary. Take care people what are you thoughts on anything above, cheers Michael H
          2010 Pajero VRX auto wagon, Cooper A/T 3's, 40mm lift, Lovells, Bilsteins, Polyair bags, Factory Nudge bar, driving lights, dual air cond, DVD player (rear) Hayman Reese Super Heavy Duty Tow bar, Bushskinz front/intercooler and engine sump, Polaris towing camera system, Clearview Mirrors, tows 2013 dual axle Jayco Outback Discovery Caravan. Redlec battery shutoff, Polaris HUD speedo. 400LMT Navman GPS. GME 88 channel UHF Radio. Bendix Stealth 4WD Disc Pads

Comment

• Newton1!
            • Jan 2012
            • Nabiac NSW

2 weeks in.

Embarrassingly simple to install.

No issue with warning lights etc.

Better fuel economy, and seems a smoother drive.

All in all a great investment, I just have to have faith it is doing its job!! I certainly wouldn't know it was even there.
            James

Comment

• markc
              • Oct 2007
              • Brisbane Sth East

Originally posted by csimic View Post
              I was going to get the NT Pajero Provent 200 conversion complete with braided hoses clips and one way valves to suit the 4m41 NT 3.2 diesel engine. These can be bought in a kit with everything ready to fit straight onto the NT diesels great stuff Rob at Chip tuning Londonary NSW has even taken the Provent 2000 and remanufactured i so it is his version of the legendary German made Provent 200, he still calls it the Provent 200 but it has his modifications in the way of larger intakes and one way valves. Western Filters are the distributors of the genuine unit imported from Germany. cheers Michael H
              The "chip it" and "Provent 200" cans measure exactly the same dimensionally. They have the same sized inlet/outlets and 1 way valves. I've had both and measured then both.

However the quality of fit on the genuine "provent 200" is better and the amount of oil mist in the out let is not detectable where I had oil vapour still building in the out let of the chip can.

Both have relief valves in the lids and outlet so the only way you could build excessive pressure and blow seals would be if 1) the can filter was blocked and then 2) the relief was stuck. As the provent can had better fitment of parts, valves, springs and retainers etc my money went to using a provent can which has been performing faultlessly. I hate spending money twice and this is after I initially spent $185 on the "catch it" falsely labelled pro-vent copy.

For me this combined with a EGR partial block (11mm hole = 80% blocked) gives me good economy, minimal EGR and no oil vapour to my inlet :-). After almost 20,000 klm and collecting about 150ml of oil in that time my provent outlet which feeds the inlet hose is still oil free to touch using the validated finger in the hose check.

I've used Western Filters too and they are good to deal with, quality items at goods prices and great service.

I'm always surprised with diagnostic stuff how so many people rely on this guy who knew this other guy who had a friend who's brother said .........but haven't had actual 1st hand experience with the item, the issue or even understand how these systems work!!! I guess like everything in the www, reader beware as there will always be a lot of information out there not based on fact and with no real substance.
              Last edited by markc; 14-10-14, 10:45 AM.

Comment

• Naviguesser
                Valued Member
                • Dec 2013
                • Crib Point Vic

Hi when I blocked my egr with a stainless steel plate with a 8mm hole in it for some reason at the time the paj felt better but my fuel consumption went up about 1 litre per 100km over a 6 month test. My intercooler was being filled with oil which was about 60ml per 1000km. I got rid of this by accelerating harshly every now and then sending huge clouds of black smoke all over any vehicle behind lol. Now an old mechanic friend of mine said to me what do you expect if you block the flow of anything off it is going to find another route so you will blow seals or it will blow out of the pcv hole in excess. Close that off and you will blow out the seals and gaskets and seen as he is a forensic physicist I listened to him and took the EGR plate out.
                Michael, can you tell your physicist mate he knows nothing about engines and EGR Sytems.
                When the engine is cold the EGR Valve is closed.
                When the accelerator pedal is pushed down to make the engine run faster the EGR is closed.
                Where is the gas your man says is "blocked off and must go somewhere" going at those points?

Using your mates theory, at full throttle there must be a massive gas build up and seals blowing out all over the place on standard engines.
                MY14 NW GLX-R DiD
                ARB Bull Bar, Safari Snorkel, Dual Batteries, Tinted Windows, Spare Tyre Lift, Toyo Open Country 2. EGR Block. GME UHF. Illuminator 9" LED Driving Lights.
                TJM XGS Gold Series Shocks, EFS Coils, Polyairs.
                Now towing a 19ft regent Caravan

Member of the Cynical Old Bloke Club

Comment

• Paj People 2009
                  Valued Member
                  • Oct 2009
                  • Sunny Gold Coast, QLD

Originally posted by Newton1! View Post
                  2 weeks in.

Embarrassingly simple to install.

No issue with warning lights etc.

Better fuel economy, and seems a smoother drive.

All in all a great investment, I just have to have faith it is doing its job!! I certainly wouldn't know it was even there.

x2!

Hopefully we will all find no probs and the cars keep running well and clean!

Cheers,
                  Sally
                  SOLD 2009 NT PAJERO PLATINUM & 2015 JEEP GRAND CHEROKEE

RUNVA XP11 11,000lb Winch in MM ALLOY Bar, 2.75" S/S exhaust, ARB Air Locker, BLACK WIDOW Drawer Sys, ABBER Water Tank, GREAT WHITE & IRONMAN LED LightbarS, ARB OME 2 inch lift, POLYAIRs, BUSHSKINZs, Airtech SNORKEL, IRONMAN Awning, PIONEER Platform, REDARC Tow Pro, Provent , D697 LT's, ALPINE Stereo, Amp & Sub, DP CHIP, DRLs, Torque App, SPV EGR MOD Mk3

2015 LOTUS FREELANDER & CRUISECRAFT EXPLORER 575

Comment

• csimic
                    Valued Member
                    • Mar 2012
                    • Maitland

Originally posted by markc View Post
                    The "chip it" and "Provent 200" cans measure exactly the same dimensionally. They have the same sized inlet/outlets and 1 way valves. I've had both and measured then both.

However the quality of fit on the genuine "provent 200" is better and the amount of oil mist in the out let is not detectable where I had oil vapour still building in the out let of the chip can.

Both have relief valves in the lids and outlet so the only way you could build excessive pressure and blow seals would be if 1) the can filter was blocked and then 2) the relief was stuck. As the provent can had better fitment of parts, valves, springs and retainers etc my money went to using a provent can which has been performing faultlessly. I hate spending money twice and this is after I initially spent $185 on the "catch it" falsely labelled pro-vent copy.

For me this combined with a EGR partial block (11mm hole = 80% blocked) gives me good economy, minimal EGR and no oil vapour to my inlet :-). After almost 20,000 klm and collecting about 150ml of oil in that time my provent outlet which feeds the inlet hose is still oil free to touch using the validated finger in the hose check.

I've used Western Filters too and they are good to deal with, quality items at goods prices and great service.

I'm always surprised with diagnostic stuff how so many people rely on this guy who knew this other guy who had a friend who's brother said .........but haven't had actual 1st hand experience with the item, the issue or even understand how these systems work!!! I guess like everything in the www, reader beware as there will always be a lot of information out there not based on fact and with no real substance.
                    My wife talked my into buying the plug and play device from SPV industries then I don't have to worry about plates blocking off, throttle body holes, catch cans, $136 just plug it in and it is all over, no more problems just have to get someone to clean out the intake manifold car has done 76,000km. M
                    2010 Pajero VRX auto wagon, Cooper A/T 3's, 40mm lift, Lovells, Bilsteins, Polyair bags, Factory Nudge bar, driving lights, dual air cond, DVD player (rear) Hayman Reese Super Heavy Duty Tow bar, Bushskinz front/intercooler and engine sump, Polaris towing camera system, Clearview Mirrors, tows 2013 dual axle Jayco Outback Discovery Caravan. Redlec battery shutoff, Polaris HUD speedo. 400LMT Navman GPS. GME 88 channel UHF Radio. Bendix Stealth 4WD Disc Pads

Comment

• NFT5
                      Valued Member
                      • Apr 2011
                      • Canberra

Good choice, Michael. That's one thing you won't have to worry about again.
                      Chris

Comment

• csimic
                        Valued Member
                        • Mar 2012
                        • Maitland

Originally posted by Naviguesser View Post
                        Michael, can you tell your physicist mate he knows nothing about engines and EGR Sytems.
                        When the engine is cold the EGR Valve is closed.
                        When the accelerator pedal is pushed down to make the engine run faster the EGR is closed.
                        Where is the gas your man says is "blocked off and must go somewhere" going at those points?

Using your mates theory, at full throttle there must be a massive gas build up and seals blowing out all over the place on standard engines.
                        Where does it go?

Comment

• TC.Barky
                          Valued Member
                          • Oct 2011
                          • Melbourne

Where does it go?
                          I would think just out the exhaust, lol
                          MY14 NW GLX-R 3.2L Auto Build Thread
                          Fitted: 265/70R17 Kanati Mud Hogs. Ultimate Suspension HD Front EHD + bags rear. MM Towbar. OL Bullbar. SPV EGR Mod. Bushskinz Bash Plates x4. Roleys Rear Bar Protector. Icom IC-400Pro. Rhino Pioneer Tradie Rack. CTEK CTD250S w/ Dual Bats. Airtec Snorkel. Scangauge II. Blackvue Dash Cam. TC mod. Autosafe Half Barrier. Masten TPMS. Drifta Custom Drawers w/ Mounted Compressor. 47L ARB Fridge. Domin8rX Winch. Towing an MDC stepthrough.

Comment

• Naviguesser
                            Valued Member
                            • Dec 2013
                            • Crib Point Vic

Where does it go?
                            Originally posted by TC.Barky View Post
                            I would think just out the exhaust , lol
                            Yep, there is a big pipe that runs all the way to the back of the car called the exhaust pipe . Exhaust gases go down it and exit to the atmosphere.
                            MY14 NW GLX-R DiD
                            ARB Bull Bar, Safari Snorkel, Dual Batteries, Tinted Windows, Spare Tyre Lift, Toyo Open Country 2. EGR Block. GME UHF. Illuminator 9" LED Driving Lights.
                            TJM XGS Gold Series Shocks, EFS Coils, Polyairs.
                            Now towing a 19ft regent Caravan

Member of the Cynical Old Bloke Club

Comment

• Rovingman
                              Valued Member
                              • Jan 2014
                              • Blue mountains

Scientific name nucleus nimbus
                              Pajero NT RX 2011
                              Dark tint: Driftadraws:bushskinz set:tough dog lift:50lt waeco:MSA drop down slide: optima 66AH blue top: oricom cb:GME antenna:120w solar:narva 170 lights:hayman reese brake controller:18/265/65 BFG's :roof basket & bag:SPV MK3.1:ARB compressor: Donaldson fuel filter:breathers:Redarc 40amp:century 120AH dual batt: Blue tongue offroad trekka camper trailer :2016 winch n bar Airtek snorkel
                              LIVING THE DREAM!! My Build http://www2.pajeroclub.com.au/forum/...ad.php?t=44476

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X