• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • old Jack
    Regular
    • Jun 2011
    • Adelaide, South Australia.

Rear Diff Dynamic Dampener.

Our Challengers are fitted with a "Dynamic Dampener", this is bolted to the front underside of the rear diff and my understanding is it is to dampened driveline vibrations. Unfortunately it hangs down low and protrudes forward.

I have "kissed" it several times when off road resulting in a minor gouge or two, but on the weekend, whilst playing at Jakem's Farm with some Pajero Forum guys I hit it hard. I was going through a deep rocky gully/small creek and there was a submerged rock that I did not see. I know, I didn't walk it or even get out of the car to have a look, I was not the first across but I must have taken a slightly different line to the other guys or the Paj in front kicked it up, either way my fault.

Today, when doing my post off-roading underbody checks, I discovered the Dynamic damper badly twisted, 1 bolt sheared off and the Dampener pushed back on to the sway bar

So I removed it, it is heavy at 4kg and attached using 4 x 10mm dia bolts, took the car for a drive expecting to hear or feel some vibration especially since the rear coils have lifted the rear end 75mm over standard but there was no discernible difference at any speeds up to 110kph. I may not be able to feel or hear anything over the ST Maxx tyre and roof rack noise. So at the moment I am driving without it until I decide which course of action to take.

It must be there for a reason, MM would not have bolted it on just for fun, so I am reluctant to run permanently without it as if something does happen then it may void my 10 year driveline warranty. Vibrations and harmonics are funny things and I do not have access to the equipment to do vibration testing but I do know some vibrations can not be easily felt but cause long term stress damage.

My options are; repair the original, replace the original, leave it off all together or make a new dampener that is tapered at the front so it can not catch and be levered backwards. Maybe it protected the diff from damage or maybe I would have cleared the rock if it was not fitted, I do not know, but to shear off a grade 7 steel bolt and bend a 5mm steel bracket takes some force. I was worried about possibly cracking the diff housing so I have washed and dried the diff housing, rubbed talc powder over the exterior surface and then took for a 30 min drive, no sign of any leaking diff oil through the cast iron housing.

Will closely monitor this, whilst I price a replacement dampener and design a custom dampener.

Has anyone removed the dampener? if so any longterm effects?

cheers, old Jack.
    Last edited by old Jack; 11-11-13, 07:16 PM. Reason: spelling
    2011 PB Base White Auto, Smartbar, Cooper STMaxx LT235/85R-16,TPMS, HR TB, 3 x Bushskinz, front +40mm Dobinson , rear +50mm EHDVR Lovells, Dobinson MT struts and shockers, Peddars 5899 cone springs, Windcheater rack, GME UHF, Custom alloy drawer system inc. 30lt Engel & 2 x 30 AH LiFePo batteries + elec controls, Tailgate hi-lift/long struts, Phillips +100 LB & HB, Lightforce 20" single row driving beam LED lightbar, Scanguage II.
    MM4x4 Auto Mate, Serial No 1 .
  • AndrewF
    • Jun 2011
    • Burwood East

G'day OJ,

I did the same thing, badly bent/twisted backwards and sheared the bolts off ages ago going over some rocky terrain (pre-lift) when the car was still quite new.

Mine was taken off as it was also pressing against the sway bar and I haven't bothered to replace it.

MMA have serviced the car since new and haven't worried about it and I haven't noticed any ill effects.

That was well over a year ago now and have forgotten all about it.

Cheers,
    Andrew
    2011 PB manual Challenger, Bushskinz, Dual batteries, 2" Ultimate lift, snorkel, ARB steel Bullbar, BFG 265/75/16 AT's, other bits n bobs.

Comment

• BMN
      Valued Member
      • Aug 2010
      • Perth WA

One of the first things i removed, 75000km and no dramas. I Reckon anyone that uses there challenger off road will find its full of stones/mud... 'BENT' etc and pretty much doing FA
      2010 PB LS Auto, 7seat, silver with lots of pinstripes, Dual batts, Toyo AT2, ARB roof rack, Rear storage/fridge, Bilstien/Kings

Comment

• MikeL
        • Apr 2011
        • Melbourne

Surely it protects the swaybar and diff?
        Now: MY14 NW with:
        Before: MY10 PB Challenger with: lotsa experience

Comment

• fester
          Valued Member
          • Feb 2013
          • Gympie Qld

If you want to keep it old jack, what about a tight fitting sleeve like bracket with a kicked up front to form a slider of sorts. Maybe braced back to a couple of the diff centre bolts. Those side bolts so close together are always going to cop a flogging.

Comment

• wasarangie
            Valued Member
            • Jul 2010
            • Ocean Grove

OJ, A lot of owners have removed that dampener with out any bad reports so far. In the early posts (2010) there was talk about bending that part.

Mine has a few scrapes but no bending yet.
            SOLD MY11 PB LS Challenger Manual,

MY18 Ford Ranger Wildtrak, Auto. Smartbar Stealth. Warn 9k winch, Redarc dual battery system. over tub rack system. Minecorp phone mount. Folding Phone and UHF antennae mounts. 9" LED driving lights. Assortment of extras from Tickford.

Comment

• BMN
              Valued Member
              • Aug 2010
              • Perth WA

Originally posted by MikeL View Post
              Surely it protects the swaybar and diff?
              No its a anti harmonic/vibration device. A lot of modern cars have such devices to 'theoretically' enhance you driving pleasure. Its been very very poorly located on the Challenger for anyone who goes off road. If your planing on doing some rock hopping unbolt it for the day
              2010 PB LS Auto, 7seat, silver with lots of pinstripes, Dual batts, Toyo AT2, ARB roof rack, Rear storage/fridge, Bilstien/Kings

Comment

• greig
                Valued Member
                • Aug 2010
                • kanwal

Originally posted by BMN View Post
                No its a anti harmonic/vibration device. A lot of modern cars have such devices to 'theoretically' enhance you driving pleasure. Its been very very poorly located on the Challenger for anyone who goes off road. If your planing on doing some rock hopping unbolt it for the day
                I have done some serious rock hopping with mine ( have front locker as well ... plus bfg muddies and 2" lift ) and so far haven't damaged it.......maybe I've just been lucky..........but seeing this post, if I do damage it, it will come off ...

Comment

• shortSteve
                  • Dec 2012
                  • Perth

Hey, i had a My12 Challenger that suffered horific body/driveline harmonics, one of the suggestions to see if it was rear driveline associated was to remove this thing. On my car (a five seat manual), driveline wasn't affected, but the "booming" noise through the rear cabin floor was amplifyed. It was soo bad i ended up doing a great trade with my prefered dealer. In short, if your car already has harmonic/vibration issues, it will be much worse without the dampener. If yours was ok before, it will almost definately be ok after removing.

sS
                  MY13 Triton GLX Dual-Cab
                  twin locked, canopy and racks, bars front and rear, camera and sensors, bashplates and snorkel, lift and 32's, long range tank, ecu tune and exhaust and many many memories...
                  15 PC Challenger, nudge bar, tow bar, arb roof rack, IPF spotties, uhf, lift, 32's on MN GLX alloys, ORS draw system, fridge and slide, arkpak and awning....so far.

Comment

• Ballfyboy
                    Valued Member
                    • Sep 2007
                    • Brisbane

OJ, I ditched mine a long, long time ago (certainly before doing the lap) and I have not been able to discern any difference.

I agree it must do "something" but what? If it works so well why is it not on other vehicles?

Adding to OJ comments about weight, I also recommend that you do not have your face under it when you unbolt it, it is very heavy indeed.

R

ps greig you just need to go harder
                    NX Pajero with a ARB Frontier LR tank and some semi-big ideas.

Comment

• PBding
                      • May 2010
                      • Canberra

Do tritons have one? Or is it specific to the challenger because of the coils?
                      NW GLX-R Pajero auto in Champagne; not anymore, it's gone to a new home. Now piloting a Y62 Patrol petrol v8 in pearl white.

Comment

• Kingbrown
                        Valued Member
                        • Apr 2012
                        • Port Augusta - SA

I'm wondering if there are subtleties in the caster of the rear axle (and therefore the angle of the tailshaft & the uni joints) that require some Challengers to need the damper, while others are OK without the damper ?

Similar to some lifts requiring caster correction to prevent vibration, while others can get away without it.
                        2012 PB Challenger LS Manual

Comment

• Tombo89
                          • Feb 2013
                          • Sydney

On my last outing off road i collected the dynamic dampner on a rock and like many before deformed it to a point where it was pressing up against the rear sway bar. I have removed it for the time being with no noticeable vibration issues, but like others have pointed out it must be there for a reason and i am hesitant to risk my 10yr drivetrain warranty. So i want to investigate replacing it or having another made up. I am wondering if anyone with access to a service manual might be able to find the part number for it? Or if others have any issues to report since this was last discussed...

Thanks in advance!!

Tom

I have just done a bit of toing and froing on the phone with mitsubishi in the mean time. Part # is 3501A491 for anyones reference. Cost is $295.90. A lot to spend if it gets hit again next time. What do you guys think???
                          Last edited by Tombo89; 10-02-14, 02:03 PM.
                          NOW : 2012 JKU WRANGLER

GONE BUT NOT FORGOTTEN : 2012 PB Challenger LS Auto - M/T ATZ P3 285/70/17, Black factory alloys, Xrox sliders, Xrox bullbar, FYRLYT's, Aurora 30" lightbar, Runva 11xp winch, Ultimate suspension lift & brake upgrade, Airtec snorkel, Bushskinz, ORS drawers, Redarc DBS with solar, UHF, SPV EGR mod, Rhino pioneer platform, 3.15 reduction gears, Wholesale autos hd nomad valve body..

Comment

• littleriver
                            Valued Member
                            • Jan 2013
                            • Queensland

Found this in the service manual

GENERAL INFORMATION

The rear axle has the following features:

A banjo type semi-floating type axle has been incorporated.
                            The wheel bearing is a double taper roller bearing and is highly resistant to a thrust load.
                            ABS rotor for detecting the wheel speed is press-fitted to the retainer.
                            Dynamic damper has been installed to prevent the muffled sound. <except Vehicles with 3500-M/T>
                            Rear differential lock system has been adopted as optional.

*Makes one wonder about the purpose of the Dynamic damper
                            (prevent muffled sound) ???? would think it would say to reduce vibration ????*
                            2012 PB Challenger LS (Manual) Safari Snorkel, OZtec shocks front & rear with King Springs (lift 2 inch) , 22 inch light bar on ECB Nudge bar, roof racks & basket, Bridgestone Duelers 697 LT A/T (116S), Uniden Dash cam, Oricom 2 way radio 80 channel, Ipod connected via glove box usb, Waeco cf50, Garmin gps (with topo), Opticoat + paint protection, Nilrust proofing, Roosystems Ecu Remap

Comment

• Tombo89
                              • Feb 2013
                              • Sydney

Hmmmmmm, $290 to reduce a "muffled sound". Not very specific is it!
                              NOW : 2012 JKU WRANGLER

GONE BUT NOT FORGOTTEN : 2012 PB Challenger LS Auto - M/T ATZ P3 285/70/17, Black factory alloys, Xrox sliders, Xrox bullbar, FYRLYT's, Aurora 30" lightbar, Runva 11xp winch, Ultimate suspension lift & brake upgrade, Airtec snorkel, Bushskinz, ORS drawers, Redarc DBS with solar, UHF, SPV EGR mod, Rhino pioneer platform, 3.15 reduction gears, Wholesale autos hd nomad valve body..

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X