• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • carl burgess
    • Sep 2010
    • WA

Towbar issue

Hi, folks just joined forum, i have ordered my PB Challenger and after some research decided i wanted the Hayman Reece towbar. The dealership has refused to fit the bar and has shown me a buliten from Mitsubishi with all its shortcomings and sugests that the bar may void my car warranty. Can anyone clear this up as i would like the HR towbar because of its asthetic appeal but not really at the expense of my new car warranty

They fitted a HR towbar and then went through a number of issues, clearance, height etc and told there dealers not to fit these bars
    2009 MY 10 Challenger 2.5
  • PBding
    • May 2010
    • Canberra

Why dont you eamail Hayman Reese for a response.?
    NW GLX-R Pajero auto in Champagne; not anymore, it's gone to a new home. Now piloting a Y62 Patrol petrol v8 in pearl white.

Comment

• cate03
      • Jun 2010
      • Sydney

Originally posted by carl burgess View Post
      Hi, folks just joined forum, i have ordered my PB Challenger and after some research decided i wanted the Hayman Reece towbar. The dealership has refused to fit the bar and has shown me a buliten from Mitsubishi with all its shortcomings and sugests that the bar may void my car warranty. Can anyone clear this up as i would like the HR towbar because of its asthetic appeal but not really at the expense of my new car warranty

They fitted a HR towbar and then went through a number of issues, clearance, height etc and told there dealers not to fit these bars
      Hi Carl,
      I have had the HR Towbar fitted by a mobile 4WD fitting service. My dealer also sent me the bulletin and said that they couldn't fit it blah blah. My dealer also said that he would recommend the HR bar over the OEM bar as the appearance is far superior to the Mitsu bar.
      Whilst I helped my guy fit the towbar, we checked the bulletin against our installation and basically could not justify any of the negative points in the bulletin. Bulletin said that it distorts the plastic bumper making the gap between the bumper and tailgate less than standard....it doesn't even touch the plastic, complete rubbish. Too close to exhaust, rubbish. To close to spare tyre, rubbish. Tow ball too high, yes...by 5mm only (ADR regs), my kids in the back seat compress the back down that much!
      Mobile guy said that there would be no way they can say it would void warranty, hence 'may void' comment in the bulletin, as Hayman Reese would take them to court for libel as they do everything by the book (and ADR rules etc), they couldn't afford not to.

The bulletin is purely to get the dealers to sell Mitsu bars, as they have hundreds in surplus...coz no one likes them. On the last page of the bulletin they show the new 'shroud' which makes the OEM bar 'look' a little better...not much though, with the comment saying something to the effect of, 'see, we are always developing a better product' and then thanks the dealers for recommending OEM bars....Hmmmm!

Cheers,
      Carl

Comment

• BigBloke65
        • Aug 2010
        • SA

There's a number of threads on this already so check them out for many more opinions!
        PB Challenger LS Auto 5 seat (White) / Bridgestone D694 AT's / Window Tint / Hayman Reece Towbar / Prodigy brake controller / Factory cargo barrier / DIY False floor / ARB Deluxe Bar / Rear view camera / UHF radio / roof mounted DVD 11 inch screen / Bushskinz protection plates complete set / Extra set of wheels Dueller H/T / OME front springs 0-50kg / OME back springs 0-50kg

Comment

• carl burgess
          • Sep 2010
          • WA

Thanks for the replies, thanks for your info cate, it has put my mind at rest and i will go with the HR bar, i did speak to HR and they basicaly said it was the dealer scaremongering. Doesnt give you much faith in Mitsi though, i dont know if i should give them my business, hopefully the car will be worth it from what i read.

Comment

• BigBloke65
            • Aug 2010
            • SA

Originally posted by cate03 View Post
            Hi Carl,
            Bulletin said that it distorts the plastic bumper making the gap between the bumper and tailgate less than standard
            This actually is the case with my HR bar. The tailgate scrapes the plastic bumper now and I'll have to resolve that somehow because it's damaging the underside of the tailgate a bit. Any ideas
            PB Challenger LS Auto 5 seat (White) / Bridgestone D694 AT's / Window Tint / Hayman Reece Towbar / Prodigy brake controller / Factory cargo barrier / DIY False floor / ARB Deluxe Bar / Rear view camera / UHF radio / roof mounted DVD 11 inch screen / Bushskinz protection plates complete set / Extra set of wheels Dueller H/T / OME front springs 0-50kg / OME back springs 0-50kg

Comment

• Ballfyboy
              Valued Member
              • Sep 2007
              • Brisbane

Have my wife drive your car for a bit, that will soon be the least of your worries
              NX Pajero with a ARB Frontier LR tank and some semi-big ideas.

Comment

• alan4106au
                • Sep 2010
                • Dandenong Victoria

G?Day Carl

I have the 2011 PB with the Mits. Tow bar! Its looks leave a lot to be desired. Although to me it is what I want as although it reduces the departure angle we still have a better angle than most of the opposition brands. It will afford a lot of protection! And I have plans to mount a swing away spare wheel and jerry can holder to this bar. I will be incorporating a fold down table to the inside of this and one of the reasons I like the Challenger is the lift up tailgate that will keep the rain snow and sun off me when preparing a snack or meal. One thing to ask the Dealer is whether or not you can get a bar rated to 3 Ton as Mine is stamped 2500 KG.

Happy motoring Regards Alan

Comment

• cate03
                  • Jun 2010
                  • Sydney

Originally posted by BigBloke65 View Post
                  This actually is the case with my HR bar. The tailgate scrapes the plastic bumper now and I'll have to resolve that somehow because it's damaging the underside of the tailgate a bit. Any ideas
                  I would certainly take it back to your installer, it may be mounted too high. My bar has a 5mm gap between the bar and underside of plastic bumper. I can feel this gap by gently pushing the top of plastic bumper down with my hand, small movement (5mm) then solidly hits the top of horizontal part of towbar (the bit between the chassis rails).
                  Check where the receiver comes out through the bumper (where they cut the piece of bumper out) I have a 5mm gap here between the top of receiver and the black plastic trim that covers the edge of cut out. I could see that if I was to pry up this cutout area, it would certainly distort the bumper. Perhaps this is causing the problem?

Cheers,
                  Carl

Comment

• BigBloke65
                    • Aug 2010
                    • SA

Perhaps this is causing the problem?

Cheers,
                    Carl
                    Yeah I reckon I gotta take it back. Thanks

Comment

• carl burgess
                      • Sep 2010
                      • WA

What i am asking is have they just re rated the MY 11 vehicle or does anyone know if they have actually done anything to up this rating, by the way i am geting the MY 10 car new at a good discount i have just found out

Comment

• Hayden
                        • Jun 2010
                        • Adelaide

I would certainly take it back to your installer, it may be mounted too high. My bar has a 5mm gap between the bar and underside of plastic bumper. I can feel this gap by gently pushing the top of plastic bumper down with my hand, small movement (5mm) then solidly hits the top of horizontal part of towbar (the bit between the chassis rails).
                        Check where the receiver comes out through the bumper (where they cut the piece of bumper out) I have a 5mm gap here between the top of receiver and the black plastic trim that covers the edge of cut out. I could see that if I was to pry up this cutout area, it would certainly distort the bumper. Perhaps this is causing the problem?

Cheers,
                        Carl

Hi just went outside and checked my HR clearances and found it to be all Ok and the same as yours. Plenty of clearance with no pressure on anything. Spare wheel clearance is fine as is exhaust.
                        As for ADR height claims by MMA what a joke. One Engel 45 litre fridge permanently left in the vehicle solved that let alone going the other way with a lift kit. I have talked to the dealer I purchased my Challenger from and he is not impressed with the factory bar, the joke of a plastic cover the just released and the inference that HR bars "may void" your warranty.

Cheers Hayden
                        PB LS Challenger Auto 5 Seater , Tinted windows, H/R Towbar, ECB Big Tube polished bull bar, Tekonsha Prodigy, Rhino roof racks, CTEK DC-DC dual battery system and battery mounted on a false floor, GME TX-3340 80 Channel UHF CB, Bushskinz protection plates, Narva Ultima 175's Combo, Way too many GPS systems (Magellan 600 Explorist, TomTom running Hema Maps, Laptop/GPS mouse running Oziexplorer and Hema / Garmin Topo V3) + Android Tablet/Copilot, Chipit System.

Comment

• silveroado
                          • Sep 2010
                          • Melbourne

It might be interesting legally if MMA "bans" the HR bar now-I had mine fitted in June just after HR released their bar and have had the vehicle in for 1500 km service and a cargo barrier fitted since, no commemts made by anyone at the time--curious?
                          Mitsubishi Challenger PB,2010 manual, Terra Rossa colour, BFG A/T tyres, dual battery system. OE bullbar, OE cargo barrier, Prorack roof crossbars & roof basket, HR towbar, IPF driving lights. GME UHF, Telstra ZTE handsfree "rural phone" with hi-gain aerial, custom storage system, Firestone Coil-Rite air lifts.Safari snorkel.
                          Towing Goldstream 12' Mini off-road pop-top van.

Comment

• pusspuss
                            • Jun 2010
                            • ballarat

Originally had the OEM towbar fitted by the dealer, discovered the HR hitch receiver required to tow our 2 tonnne van would not fit. As the PB was purchased to tow the van, dealer agreed to fit the HR tow bar at no extra cost. Clearances are all good but rear exhaust mount did vibrate on tow bar mounting. rectified this myself.
                            2014 Pajero NW VRX, many extras to come

Comment

• BigBloke65
                              • Aug 2010
                              • SA

Originally posted by BigBloke65 View Post
                              Problem solved. The cut out for the tongue was made a bit to too tight, pushing up the bumper to the tailgate. I took it back to the installer Southern Towbars in Adelaide and they fixed it up quickly by just cutting away an extra 0.5 inch of the bumper hole. Finished it off with some trimming and all good to go. Excellent service for fixing that.

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X