Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Filbee
    • Sep 2008
    • Jerrabomberra, NSW (just over the border to Canberra, ACT.) Suburb of Queanbeyan.

Oil Leak

Hi folks,
    Had my 45000 k service the other day and the mechanic found that my big end seal is leaking (between engine and gearbox). I have followed MM's recommendation to service the car every 15000ks, but it would appear that this philosophy doesn't work for seals like the big end seal. The mechanic (private not MM) had suggested that I service the diesel every 7500ks to avoid such deterioration of seals etc, so starting at the 45k service, I was to follow his suggestion. Now I have to go back to MM (Canberra) to try and get the seal fix under warranty. For a seal like this to fail before 45k is just too rediculous. Wish me luck. Cheers for now.
    (Feb) Pearl White 08 NS VRX (25th Anniv) DiD; Coopper H/T Plus; MM Alloy Bar; tyre lifter kit; Bluetooth; IPF900 spots; ICOM IC440 UHF; ARB Air Compressor (CKMP12) Kit; Waeco 60lt; RV4 Oztent and Ozpod; Rhino roof rack/cross bars. Trek Tech single shelf & 35/65 split cargo barrier; TJM battery rack with 80amphr; DS40 fridge slide; Coilrite bags; Oztent/Rhino Foxwing awning; Honda 2kVA; ChipIt EGT kit and race pipe.
    Towing 2008 20ft Jayco Stirling O/B fitted with TyreDog TPMS.
  • Mitsi Lover
    • Aug 2009

Rear main shouldn't be leaking at that mileage surely.
    Can't work out why the oil change interval would affect the rear main seal.
    Most seals these days are spring loaded neoprene, even running in severe hot and dusty conditions they'll last longer than 45 thou.

Comment

• twscoot
      • Oct 2008

Mine appeared to be leaking at about 15000 but I was told it was a wax (?) that was used in production dripping down once it got hot. It was wiped clean and doesn't appear to have leaked again. (It never actually dripped).
      Previous drive: 2008 25th Anniversary, Auto, DiD, Mits Alloy Bull Bar, GME UHF, Lightforce DL's, Cooper HT Plus Tyres, TyreDog TPMS (Now in a Jeep GC CRD Laredo ORAII, Quadralift)

Comment

• Filbee
        • Sep 2008
        • Jerrabomberra, NSW (just over the border to Canberra, ACT.) Suburb of Queanbeyan.

Oil Leak

Thanks Twscoot,
        I'll be getting a second opion next week. Chap at work is a ex-mechanic and as volunteered to take a look. I'll keep an open mind then and see if it is wax. Thanks for the info. Regards Filbee
        (Feb) Pearl White 08 NS VRX (25th Anniv) DiD; Coopper H/T Plus; MM Alloy Bar; tyre lifter kit; Bluetooth; IPF900 spots; ICOM IC440 UHF; ARB Air Compressor (CKMP12) Kit; Waeco 60lt; RV4 Oztent and Ozpod; Rhino roof rack/cross bars. Trek Tech single shelf & 35/65 split cargo barrier; TJM battery rack with 80amphr; DS40 fridge slide; Coilrite bags; Oztent/Rhino Foxwing awning; Honda 2kVA; ChipIt EGT kit and race pipe.
        Towing 2008 20ft Jayco Stirling O/B fitted with TyreDog TPMS.

Comment

• Brock
          • May 2008
          • QLD

By all means get another opinoin but this has been a fault with this model. I have had mine done twice done twice in 2 years and have done 50,000km. The dealer has told me that they see this more often than not. Have a look at some of the earlier threads in this forum.
          Its a failrly big job 2-3 days with the car off the road. It has nothing to do with service intervals, just faulty rear main oil seals.
          Also make sure that the dealer washes out any excess oil from the rubber mount that separates the gearbox bell housing and the engine as it can retain oil and if not cleaned will drip oil after it is all reassembled.
          This should be a warranty job.

Comment

• twscoot
            • Oct 2008

After over a year since I discovered what I thought was an oil leak bewtween the bell housing and gear box, (it never dripped and was probably wax used in production) it seems I now have one.

Car is going in for its 45000km service and I suspect as the leak is not a bad one (no drips on my car park at work) it will need to wait until after Christmas.

For those that have had this job done under warranty, is there anything specific I should be asking of the dealer when I drop it in for an assessment?

Cheers.
            Andrew
            Previous drive: 2008 25th Anniversary, Auto, DiD, Mits Alloy Bull Bar, GME UHF, Lightforce DL's, Cooper HT Plus Tyres, TyreDog TPMS (Now in a Jeep GC CRD Laredo ORAII, Quadralift)

Comment

• twscoot
              • Oct 2008

Here's a photo of the leak (see previous post).
              Not bad but it's engine oil. doesn't seem to be coming from anywhere higher up the block either. Seems to be threatening to drip from near the bolt.
              Attached Files

Comment

• steveandviv
                Valued Member
                • Apr 2008
                • Broome

I had mine changed when I had the clutch done. Other than that it shouldn't need doing. The CAM seals can go but not usually the main.
                2000 NM Paj - 2.5 Inch Lift - 81 Long Range tank - UHF - Rhino Rack - Dual Batteries - Hella 4000 Spotties - ARB Bar - Cargo Barrier - Custom Shelves - GPS Screen - Garmin GPS - Snorkle - Ox TJM Winch - MT MTZ - Polly Bags - Front ARB Locker - 50&60ltr Waeco....http://www.steveandviv.blogspot.com/

Comment

• matthewfnorbert
                  Valued Member
                  • Jun 2007

why is changing your oil at very frequent intervals going to make your seal fail to leak?
                  SWB NT X DiD its R E D

SWB NS X DiD that's double D's !! Retired

Comment

• twscoot
                    • Oct 2008

Looks like it is a rear seal. Car will be going back in the new year for a fix. :-(

Comment

• russmay2
                      • Oct 2010
                      • Tamworth

Oil Leak

Had to have oil seal like you done at 9000ks under warranty Apears to be fixed Do not like the thought that as above this may occur again So will be watching the garage floor Keep us posted on what happens

Comment

• Faereag
                        Valued Member
                        • Nov 2009
                        • Aberfoyle Park, SA

RussMay2

Did they pull the motor down completely and replace the seals on both sides of the crank?
                        I have a new NT - took delivery in Oct 2010, it has 6,500K's on clock and I noticed last night that oil is seeping from the big end. Have organised for Southland Mitsi to do a preliminary inspection this Wednesday and I will not be fobbed off if they try to do an external silastic fix! If it is seeping now it will only get worse as time progresses.
                        Regards

Rory

2010 NT DID Auto Platinum. ARB Bar; 12000lb winch; Light-force 240 spotlights; Bushskinz plates; dual battery with upgraded wiring; Diff breathers; ECU re-tune; 3" exhaust Toyo AT11's; Ultra-gauge and OBD11 dongle; Garmin 52LM; Icom UHF; Craig Davies transmission cooler with fan; raised EHD Lovells coils; Mann & Hummel Catch Can; Bilstein B6's; Firestone airbags; Tekonsha P3 controller; towball capacity 300KG; GVM 3110KG. Sunland Patriot SE van with a few other mods.

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                        Working...
                        X