• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Stevie-Ray
    Valued Member
    • Jun 2009
    • Peakhurst, Sydney

NH swb max ball-weight?

Plaque on H/D 2500KG towbar receiver looked like it was stamped '25KG' as the max static-weight, which can't be right as the owners-manual states 100KG as max for all towbars up to 2250KG rating!
    I've just had another close look but this time with a torch, & in the dark, I was just able to make out a very faint indent of a 1 before the 25KG, but the word 'weight' is lightly-stamped followed by a space then a 1 (just as lightly-stamped). All the ratings are aligned down the right side of the plaque, so that 1 is a long way from the 25KG, so can someone verify what it really should be?

On Thursday I went to the Camping & Caravan Show at Rosehill Racecourse & one exhibitor was doubtful that my swb would be legally able to tow a small off-road-campervan because the ball/static-weight allowed, would limit what could be towed, as it was shorter than the wagon!
    He drove a Patrol & was anti-Landcruiser, but similar attitudes towards Pajeros seems prevalent amongst that larger herd of sheep, the Blandcruiser owners.

For me the weight of a c/t + gear, is more an issue of the extra fuel-cost involved in towing it, so it's case of the max pulling-power of my bank-account being far less than that of the Paj!

Steve
    Steve

Runner-Paj; '95 NJ SWB 2.5L TD GL J-Top, low kms Project-Paj; '92 NH SWB 3.0L V6 GLS Hardtop Triple-pack, also low kms. Donor Paj; '92 NH SWB 3.0L V6 GLS Hardtop Triple-pack, with some parts & goodies to go onto other GLS.
    "I try to take life one day at a time, but sometimes several days attack me all at once!"
  • nj swb
    Resident
    • Jun 2007
    • Adelaide

Yet another example of a salesman having NFI about the industry in which he's operating.

Max ball weight is determined by the combination of vehicle AND towbar. My towbar is rated for 1200kg/80kg ball, so I expect yours (at 2500kg) would be more likely 125kg than 25kg.

Do you know the manufacturer of the towbar? Best bet would be to contact them.
    NT Platinum. DiD Auto with 265/70R17 ST Maxx, Lift, Lockers, Lockup Mate, Low range reduction, LRA Aux tank, bull bar, winch, lots of touring stuff. Flappy paddles. MMCS is gone!

Project: NJ SWB. 285/75R16 ST Maxx, 2" OME suspension, 2" body lift, ARB 110, 120l tank, bullbar, scratches, no major dents. Fully engineered in SA. NW DiD & auto in place - a long way to go....

Scorpro Explorer Box

Comment

• Stevie-Ray
      Valued Member
      • Jun 2009
      • Peakhurst, Sydney

Originally posted by nj swb View Post
      Yet another example of a salesman having NFI about the industry in which he's operating.

Max ball weight is determined by the combination of vehicle AND towbar. My towbar is rated for 1200kg/80kg ball, so I expect yours (at 2500kg) would be more likely 125kg than 25kg.

Do you know the manufacturer of the towbar? Best bet would be to contact them.
      It's a 'Trail Boss' receiver-hitch, but I was told a while ago (maybe incorrectly) that it was a QLD company that no longer exists.
      Haymen-Reece will make one-to-order for the swb, which looks identical to the 'Trail Boss', but at a 50% premium above the cost of the one they make for the gen2 wagon. They wanted almost $800, without fitting, so I found mine on eek-bay for $65 without a hitch (excuse the pun), & also on eekbay, found a bloke just down the road who sells the hitches ($5 for std length ones) he gets from a wrecker mate, for his beer-money.

Steve
      Steve

Runner-Paj; '95 NJ SWB 2.5L TD GL J-Top, low kms Project-Paj; '92 NH SWB 3.0L V6 GLS Hardtop Triple-pack, also low kms. Donor Paj; '92 NH SWB 3.0L V6 GLS Hardtop Triple-pack, with some parts & goodies to go onto other GLS.
      "I try to take life one day at a time, but sometimes several days attack me all at once!"

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
      Working...
      X