Below Nav Bar

Collapse

Expressions of Interest in a wheel bag kit?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • nj swb
    Resident
    • Jun 2007
    • Adelaide

Expressions of Interest in a wheel bag kit?

As per my thread here I can make frames that will space the rear cover out by 170mm, but a solution for cosmetic covers hasn't been forthcoming.

Recent experience obtained manufacturing the Paddle Kits has also led me to conclude I was naively optimistic with pricing of the kits - manufacturing in small batches, the frame set alone is likely to be closer to $150 than $100.

I have no idea how much a decent set of covers would cost, but if I can sell a batch of frames without covers I'm happy to re-invest any profit back into exploring more options for covers - but I can't offer any guarantees.

Who would buy a 170mm frame without covers? I'm not asking anybody to pre-pay - just some genuine expressions of interest, so I can determine if I should make a batch of frames, and how many.

Or are the existing kits destined to be limited edition collectors items?
    NT Platinum. DiD Auto with 265/70R17 ST Maxx, Lift, Lockers, Lockup Mate, Low range reduction, LRA Aux tank, bull bar, winch, lots of touring stuff. Flappy paddles. MMCS is gone!

Project: NJ SWB. 285/75R16 ST Maxx, 2" OME suspension, 2" body lift, ARB 110, 120l tank, bullbar, scratches, no major dents. Fully engineered in SA. NW DiD & auto in place - a long way to go....

Scorpro Explorer Box
  • nj swb
    Resident
    • Jun 2007
    • Adelaide

On a recent trip across the Simpson with our host club I received a few enquiries about this product, so I'm looking at producing a batch of 10.

To refresh peoples' memories, the existing Limited Edition models (125mm frames) look something like:

My plan is to produce 10 sets of 170mm frames and sell them with a wheel bag and covers, for $200 + freight.

At this stage, I have no idea how I will produce the covers, but will spend some money researching solutions - worst case, I'll wear out my 3D printer to deliver orders.

So, if this is to be the deal, is there any interest?
    NT Platinum. DiD Auto with 265/70R17 ST Maxx, Lift, Lockers, Lockup Mate, Low range reduction, LRA Aux tank, bull bar, winch, lots of touring stuff. Flappy paddles. MMCS is gone!

Project: NJ SWB. 285/75R16 ST Maxx, 2" OME suspension, 2" body lift, ARB 110, 120l tank, bullbar, scratches, no major dents. Fully engineered in SA. NW DiD & auto in place - a long way to go....

Scorpro Explorer Box

Comment

• keenkean
      • Jan 2016
      • Central Coast NSW

Originally posted by nj swb View Post
      On a recent trip across the Simpson with our host club I received a few enquiries about this product, so I'm looking at producing a batch of 10.

To refresh peoples' memories, the existing Limited Edition models (125mm frames) look something like:

My plan is to produce 10 sets of 170mm frames and sell them with a wheel bag and covers, for $200 + freight.

At this stage, I have no idea how I will produce the covers, but will spend some money researching solutions - worst case, I'll wear out my 3D printer to deliver orders.

So, if this is to be the deal, is there any interest?

Thanks for sharing yet another project!

Put me down as interested!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

• Pajero12
        • Dec 2015
        • Adelaide

I'm also interested
        NW GL. DiD Auto with 265/75 St Maxx on 17" Alloys, Factory Steel bullbar
        MODS: TJM Airtec Snorkel | Bilstein Shocks with King Springs | full bushskinz bash plates | LED Lightbar | Rhino Platform | GME XRS UHF platform mounted antenna w folding bracket | Kings Awning | Ultragauge | Dual Battery | Rear Storage System | Paddle Shift | M&M Lockup Mate

Comment

• glsgls
          Valued Member
          • Dec 2007

hey scott would be interested if it will fit a nx if not would be happy to let you take some measurements from mine thanks rob

Comment

• nj swb
            Resident
            • Jun 2007
            • Adelaide

Hi Rob, thanks for the offer, and apologies to those who have been waiting - I've been slack.

The underlying metalwork for a 170mm frame has been designed, but I haven't started the search for a covers solution - the profile of the cover is quite complicated, the last one was a lot of trial & error to get it to a point that came close, and I think a manufacturing solution will need to copy the profiles directly rather than measure and attempt to reproduce.

I'll bump this up my priority list.

Scorpro Explorer Box

Comment

• CaptJimmy
              • Dec 2017
              • Kariong, NSW

I'm definitely interested in at least one, maybe in two orders. Keep me apprised of how your travelling

Comment

• NTX
                Valued Member
                • Apr 2010
                • Niddrie, Melbourne.

Interested for sure. I have my own bag though.
                2009 NT Pajero. SWB X ARB Sahara bar. Xray HID converted Spot lights. Mickey Thompson STZ 265/60 R18. Unicorn Performance upgraded Intercooler. NP 16" rims under house, still no rubber! Rhino sports racks and Rhino aluminium basket and bag.

Comment

• baida88
                  • Dec 2014
                  • Brisbane

also interested. i was looking at doing something like this but instead of a bag i was looking at making a maxxtrax holder and quick release type thing
                  2007 NS Pajero VRX, Diesel, 50mm lift + 30mm sub-frame lift, 265 70 r18 falkens at3, duel batteries, Digital egt & boost gauges, CB, Offroad nav unit, Arb bullbar+spotlights+led bar+warn 9500lb winch, Stainless steel bash plates, full length roof rack+led lights+awning, rear bash bar, Long range tank, polyair bags, on board air compressor, rear shelves and fridge slide, 3 inch exhaust, solid flywheel.

Comment

• nj swb
                    Resident
                    • Jun 2007
                    • Adelaide

At long last, some small progress. Files have been sent off to produce a batch of the metalwork, and I've handed over a spare plastic cover for a supplier to try matching the profile for some covers. He's fairly positive about the prospects, so fingers crossed...

Originally posted by baida88 View Post
                    also interested. i was looking at doing something like this but instead of a bag i was looking at making a maxxtrax holder and quick release type thing
                    Yep. I've also been considering a maxxtrax mount on the rear door, but I already have enough ideas I'm not working on. There is nothing to stop anybody using the space created by this kit for any other purpose.

Have you worked out how much space you need for some maxxtrax? My original 125mm spacer is very marginal for a rubbish bag, and would be worse for anybody with a tyre lift kit (depending on kit, uses about 20mm of the 125).

Presuming the worst case of 20mm lift kit and 170mm extension frame, that leaves 150mm of space. Would that be enough to slide in some maxxtrax? Two or four?

Scorpro Explorer Box

Comment

• FishAnd4WD
                      • Jul 2014
                      • Caloundra

Hey mate, definitely interested it this, let me know how you go!
                      Cheers,
                      Anthony

07 NS Exceed DiD -
                      MM Alloy Bar, TJM Airtec Snorkel, Lovell & Bilstein 4" Lift, Maxxis RAZR MT 33s, Bushskinz Protection Plates, RhinoRack Backbone & Pioneer Platform, Bushwakka 270 Awning, STEDI 40.5" ST2K Light Bar - 8.5" Type-X Sport Spotties - ST3301 Pro 4.6" Reverse/Camp Light, Enerdrive DCDC 40 12V Setup, Kings Drawers, 3" SS Exhaust, MM4X4 Lockup Mate, OEM VT13 Highflow Turbo, HPD FMI, OEM Injector Upgrade, Just Autos Remap - 180RWHP 600nm on 33s

2019 SUV GT Mega Camper

Comment

• mrbitchi
                        Valued Member
                        • Jun 2007
                        • Brisbane

Interested here too. My Brother is after something to allow him to hang a bag on the back of his NW.
                        Cheers, John.
                        LC200 V8 goodness

MY12 LC200 GXL 4.5Lt V8 twin turbo, GVM upgrade, ARB bar, Warn winch, Outback Acc rear bar and dual carrier, TJM sidesteps, Bushskinz, Long Ranger 180Lt tank, Black Widow drawers, cargo barrier, Polaris Awning, +++
                        Ex - NM auto, 2"Kings, Bilsteins, Buckshots, Wildcat headers, 2.75" Mandrel bent exhaust, Injected LPG, Smartbar, Scraper bar, Bushskinz, Custom steps, Dual Batteries, Breathers, Black Widow drawers, Polaris Awning.

Comment

• nj swb
                          Resident
                          • Jun 2007
                          • Adelaide

A long over-due update.

First, I'd like to thank those who have shown an interest, and apologise for not having better news. Finding a cost-effective solution for the cosmetic covers is proving a more time-consuming process than I anticipated. Because this product has a very limited market, suppliers do not seem terribly enthusiastic about getting involved, and getting responses requires some chasing. And so far, nothing good to report.

So I'm back to the 3D printing of covers that I was hoping to avoid, and I currently only have a CAD model for NS - NW. NX covers are significantly different, larger, and won't be available any time soon. I have yet another potential solution to chase up, but if it works, it will only solve one problem at the expense of creating another.

I'm producing a test set this week; if all goes well, I'll order a batch of the metalwork late this week / early next week, and may be able to start shipping in December. Printing the covers isn't fast - best guess, I'll be lucky to produce 4 sets in a week.

Earlier in this thread I offered to sell 10 at $200 each, including a bag, plus freight. I'll keep that pricing for the first 10, but beyond that I expect it will be at least $200 excluding the bag, plus freight. As part of this week's test I'll look at how to pack for shipping, and what it cost.

I'm looking at the Adventure Kings dirty gear bag, which they will sell me at their "trade price", but they don't consolidate shipping unless I order a pallet - that's 160 of them. So as of today, I can't buy in bulk any better than their advertised sale price, and I'll be watching their website for a better deal.

So, the members who have expressed interest are:
                          1. keenkean (NX - but you're on the list)
                          2. Pajero12 (NW)
                          3. glsgls (NX)
                          4. CaptJimmy (NX - 2?)
                          5. NTX (NT)
                          6. baida88 (NS)
                          7. JanP - via PM (NX)
                          8. FishAnd4WD (NS)
                          9. mrbitchi's brother (NW)
                          10. pajtastic (NW)

Any questions?
                          Last edited by nj swb; 13-11-18, 06:07 PM. Reason: Updating the list.

Scorpro Explorer Box

Comment

• pajtastic
                            • May 2017
                            • Melbourne

Count me in as number 10!

Comment

• nj swb
                              Resident
                              • Jun 2007
                              • Adelaide

So the test set didn't go as well as hoped. The extended metalwork has introduced a minor unexpected issue, and I'm really not happy with the covers.

The good news is that I may have identified a viable solution for the covers - everything except how to mount them. And the price for tooling is better than expected, which helps with producing covers for the NX, so that is encouraging (to me).

So it's back to the drawing board, but they are getting closer - I promise.

Scorpro Explorer Box

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X