• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Pajero1947
    • Jan 2013
    • Boronia

Auxiliary Fuel Tanks

Just wondering who, out there, has fitted Auxiliary fuel tanks to their NW and if so how did they go, replacement tank ( not sure if this is available ) or second ( auxiliary ) tank ?.

Also what brand did you go for and why ?.

Looked at Long Ranger tanks they appear to sit very low and although not venturing ' off road' much these days, wondered how this would effect departure angle on some tracks.

Jim
    2012 NW 'ACTIV' ARB suspension, Dual Battery system,Hella 'Compact' driving Lamps. Polyair air bags
  • Aussie_Dan
    Valued Member
    • Jan 2010
    • Cairns

Although I don't have a NW, the NM through to NW are all the same underneath.....
    I went for the LRA 81L Aux tank. The biggest that will fit under the bum of the Gen 3 / Gen 4 Paj.
    I am not aware of any replacement main tanks for the Gen 3 / Gen 4 Pajero.
    You can only fit the 81L Aux tank if you do not have a rear aircon unit.
    If you do have rear aircon you are limited to the 60 to 65L tanks from the different manufacturers out there: Long Ranger, LRA (Long Range Automotive), Brown Davis just to name a few....
    The quality of my LRA tank is outstanding. I have not seen a Long Ranger / Brown Davis tank close up to compare quality so I would not know how they differ to the LRA tank, or if one is better than the other.
    You do lose a little bit of departure angle and I slapped my Aux tank on the sand dozens and dozens of times whilst climbing dunes as we crossed the Simpson last September. The bonus is that the tank does protect the rear bumper from becoming a sand scoop. Many a Pajero has lost its rear bumper in the sand and the Aux tank stops this from happening.
    I have Lovells HD raised springs in the rear of my Paj and after the tank install I found that I needed to add airbags to stop the bum sagging when the tank was full and I was full loaded or towing my camper. So a suspension upgrade may need to be considered also, to cope with the added weight, if you have not already done so.
    Hope this helps, Dan.
    2004 NP DiD GLX, 5 spd Manual with SMF, ARB Bullbar, Ironman 12000lb winch, Lightforce Genesis lights, Airtec Snorkel, 81L LRA tank, Unifilter, GME 3500 UHF, Redarc elec brake controller, ARB dual Batt tray with 60AH Deep cycle Batt & Redarc Isolator, Bushskinz Sliders, intercooler and sump guards, Lovells raised HD springs, Polyairs & Bilstein shocks, Milford Cargo Barrier, Philips +100 globes, 2nd set of rims with 245/75x16 Bighorns, Waeco 60L Fridge & a Cavalier camper trailer!

Comment

• dean
      Valued Member
      • Jul 2007

Ditto what Dan said.
      Dean
      NM V6 since August 2000. Cargo Barrier, Satphone, Decent Suspension, Decent Tyres Eg. Any 10 PLY E Load Brand Not Important. Aux Tank, Rola Sports Racks/Basket, Decent Canvas Bag, Quality Esky. A Good Setup For Outback Touring/Desert Crossings.

Comment

• placido
        • Dec 2009
        • NSW South Coast

Auxiliary Fuel tank

Originally posted by Pajero1947 View Post
        Just wondering who, out there, has fitted Auxiliary fuel tanks to their NW and if so how did they go, replacement tank ( not sure if this is available ) or second ( auxiliary ) tank ?.

Also what brand did you go for and why ?.

Looked at Long Ranger tanks they appear to sit very low and although not venturing ' off road' much these days, wondered how this would effect departure angle on some tracks.

Jim
        I fitted an LRA 58 Litre tank to my NW Exceed (Rear aircon) looks good, the first fill actually took 61L. Am quite satisfied with functionality and appearance.
        2012 NW EXCEED - 3.2 DiD, LRA 58L Tank, Redarc DC-DC, ECB Alloy Bar DP CHIP, Safe-T-Tyre sensors

Comment

• Onslow
          Valued Member
          • Aug 2007
          • Perth, Western Australia

And Ultimate 4wd Equipment in Perth have a good quality 70lt auxiliary tank for NM to NW including rear air-con models. I looked at this one too, however the lure of the extra 11lt's (I don't have rear aircon) was too strong and I went for the LRA 81lt tank!
          NOW SOLD: NW MY2014 VRX 3.2 Diesel Auto, Rhino Rack Roof Rack, Sandgrabber Floor Mats, Safari Snorkel, Warn XP9.5S Winch, ARB Bull Bar, Bushskinz Underbody Protection, Lovells HD Springs, Bilstein Shocks, Firestone Airbags, Off Road Systems Rear Shelf, Boab 40Lt Water Tank, Cooper LT265/65x17 ST-Maxx Tyres, Uniden 7760 UHF Radio, LRA 58LT Long Range Tank, ARB Intensity Spotlights, Redarc BCDC Dual Battery System, Taipan XP 3in Exhaust System, Recaro Seats.

Comment

• Traveller43
            Valued Member
            • Jul 2011
            • Perth, WA

Originally posted by Onslow View Post
            And Ultimate 4wd Equipment in Perth have a good quality 70lt auxiliary tank for NM to NW including rear air-con models. I looked at this one too, however the lure of the extra 11lt's (I don't have rear aircon) was too strong and I went for the LRA 81lt tank!
            That's great news about a Perth supplier and 70l is enough for me. Can you remember how much they were charging and was the cost including fitting or not?

Would the 70l hang low at the back, becoming a grounding hazard (albeit probably a very useful rear bumper protector)
            Cheers

John

2010 MY11 NT RX Diesel Turbo: Smart Bar, Bush Skinz Bash Plates, Bush Skinz rock sliders, Ironman side awning, Cibie driving lights, rear LED work/reversing light, Black widow rear drawers, 2nd battery, UHF, cargo barrier, Airtec snorkel, Bilstein shocks, King Springs, poly airs, air compressor, Hankook RF10 265/65R18s, Rhino aero bars

Wish list: Rear diff locker, long range tank, 48L water tank in rear seat well, 3" exhaust, Rhino roof basket

Comment

• BROOMZPAJ
              • Mar 2010
              • Geelong

Originally posted by placido View Post
              I fitted an LRA 58 Litre tank to my NW Exceed (Rear aircon) looks good, the first fill actually took 61L. Am quite satisfied with functionality and appearance.
              What did they sting you for the 58 litre tank if you don't mind me asking? Maybe PM me if you do mind me asking.
              2012 MY12 NW Exceed 3.2 DiD
              Cool Silver - Nudge Bar - Bonnet Protector - Cargo Liner - Sports Roof Rack Cross Bars - UltraGauge - Bushskinz IC & Sump guards - T'EYES CC3 head unit with integrated front & rear cameras - Trap Mats - EGR control - Travall Pet Barrier - Pirelli Scorpion AT Plus - 2" lift via Bilstein shocks/struts & King springs.

Comment

• abe
                • Nov 2010
                • Sunshine Coast

Can anyone tell me if the aux tank eats into the 3rd seat well..?
                Bushskinz bashplates, bilsteins/lovells 2 inch lift, LRA secondary tank, diff breathers, provent catch can, custom tune, ARB bar.
                UHF, 2 camping batteries w 2 x BCDC (one in front bay, one in 3rd row seat well), Runva 11xp with dynema.
                Narva 225s with 3rd party HID ballast, pioneer platform mounted to roof with LED bar, Stedi camping lights on side.
                40lt water tank with custom drawers. Alpine amp and speakers (x4), kicker sub.

Comment

• Dazza.
                  Valued Member
                  • Aug 2009
                  • Northern Territory

Originally posted by abe View Post
                  No.

I think mine cost me $1,800 or there abouts
                  COOL SILVER MY10 NT DID GLS MANUAL PAJERO - Colour Coded ARB Deluxe Bullbar - Warn X9 Winch - 60L Auxiliary Tank - Towbar - HID Lightforce Spotlights - DIY dual battery system - TX3440 UHF - Lovells/Bilstien suspension - BushSkinz bash plates - Driver with a passion to explore Australia

Comment

• Onslow
                    Valued Member
                    • Aug 2007

Originally posted by Traveller43 View Post
                    That's great news about a Perth supplier and 70l is enough for me. Can you remember how much they were charging and was the cost including fitting or not?

Would the 70l hang low at the back, becoming a grounding hazard (albeit probably a very useful rear bumper protector)
                    It was a while back so I can't remember the cost. None of the tanks I looked at hung lower than the diff, and you're right about the bumper protection in the sand, my LRA really helps with that! Also, the increase in range makes it one of the best mods I've done.
                    NOW SOLD: NW MY2014 VRX 3.2 Diesel Auto, Rhino Rack Roof Rack, Sandgrabber Floor Mats, Safari Snorkel, Warn XP9.5S Winch, ARB Bull Bar, Bushskinz Underbody Protection, Lovells HD Springs, Bilstein Shocks, Firestone Airbags, Off Road Systems Rear Shelf, Boab 40Lt Water Tank, Cooper LT265/65x17 ST-Maxx Tyres, Uniden 7760 UHF Radio, LRA 58LT Long Range Tank, ARB Intensity Spotlights, Redarc BCDC Dual Battery System, Taipan XP 3in Exhaust System, Recaro Seats.

Comment

• Onslow
                      Valued Member
                      • Aug 2007

Originally posted by abe View Post
                      No they don't...every model that I checked out sat below the 3rd seat well. They all pumped from the auxillary back into the main tank too.

Comment

• Aussie_Dan
                        Valued Member
                        • Jan 2010
                        • Cairns

Another thing to consider is that the LRA tank does NOT need any holes to be drilled into the floorpan or rear seat well.
                        Holes DO need to be drilled for the longranger tank....
                        Dan.
                        2004 NP DiD GLX, 5 spd Manual with SMF, ARB Bullbar, Ironman 12000lb winch, Lightforce Genesis lights, Airtec Snorkel, 81L LRA tank, Unifilter, GME 3500 UHF, Redarc elec brake controller, ARB dual Batt tray with 60AH Deep cycle Batt & Redarc Isolator, Bushskinz Sliders, intercooler and sump guards, Lovells raised HD springs, Polyairs & Bilstein shocks, Milford Cargo Barrier, Philips +100 globes, 2nd set of rims with 245/75x16 Bighorns, Waeco 60L Fridge & a Cavalier camper trailer!

Comment

• reformedjeeper
                          • Jun 2012
                          • Ballarat Vic

If you're looking for a long range tank, the LRA tank from Lillydale, Vic, or through ARB outlets, is a surperior product, mine is finally being installed next week, at the LRA factory.

This will be my third LRA tank having previously had them in a Cherokee (110Lt replacement) and a Grand Cherokee (110Lt auxliary)

I have never had any problems with them, only with dirty fuel, clogging up the float mechanism, which LRA replaced free of charge anyway.

These are well constructed tanks, one of my vehicles got stuck in sand and the fully loaded vehicle was resting on the tank, with no consequences or leaks.

The beauty of their tanks is the dual filler that replaces your existing filler and gives you an option of filling your main (original) tank only or filling the rear (auxliary) tank or both and come with a locking cap.

The system has an electric transfer pump activated by an LED fuel guage module on the dash, simply press the pump button when the vehicle low fuel warning light comes on (or before) It transfers the fuel to you main tank, of course you need to switch it off, so you need to keep an eye on it and not run the pump dry

Yes as others have stated these are a 104Lt auxliary tank and can be fitted to any NW Pajero that does not have the rear aircon ducts.
                          Vehicles with aircon ducts can purchase a smaller tank. They sit below the third row seat well and for models without aircon have an upswept section on the drivers side that fits in between the seat well and the chassis giving roughly an extra 30 litres over the aircon model, see photos. (not my vehicle, factory supplied photos)
                          Attached Files
                          Last edited by reformedjeeper; 07-03-13, 05:56 AM. Reason: add pictures
                          Regards and best wishes Johnv,

2012 NW Active, Ironbark, 3.2 DiD Auto

Tow Bar, Nudge Bar, Cooper AT3 265/65R17 LT, CB Radio, Redarc Indash Brake Controller, AutoSafe Cargo Barrier, 2-Auxilary Battery System w/Redarc Isolator, Custom Storage Unit, 50mm / 300kg OME Suspension with Firestone Airbags.
                          81 Lt Auxilary Fuel Tank by Long Range Automotive, Lillydale (Vic)

Comment

• CraigFox
                            • Jun 2010
                            • Happy Valley SA

Have ordered my LRA tank, and booked in for fitting on the Thursday before Easter at TJM.
                            81 litre Aux tank is as big as you can go with LRA in a Pajero without rear air, and TJM are the national distributors for them. ARB do Long Ranger which have smaller capacity.
                            Foxy

2010 NT Did Auto ACTiV. MM Tow Bar. ARB Bar, 50mm Raised Suspension, BFG A/T's, Tinted Windows, Red Arc remote head brake controller, Uniden UHF, Airtec Snorkel, Rhino Pioneer Basket, 81litre Long Range Tank (finally!!)

Bushskinz under body still to come one day.

Comment

• Trish
                              • Jan 2012
                              • Brisbane

Originally posted by reformedjeeper View Post
                              The beauty of their tanks is the dual filler that replaces your existing filler and gives you an option of filling your main (original) tank only or filling the rear (auxliary) tank or both and come with a locking cap....
                              Hi,
                              Thinking about fitting an Aux Tank as well and was wondering about the filling part of it. Would you happen to have some pics of this dual filler.
                              I thought you would always have to go to a separate filling point for the Aux Tank.
                              Where would these points be for the other brands though? I do not like the idea of having holes drilled through the floorpan or rear seat well .
                              Is there a considderable price difference between those different brands?
                              2011 MY12 NW Pajero GLX DiD Auto - graphit grey.
                              Bridgestone D694 275/65/17LT, full set of Bushskinz, Smartbar, T-Max 9000lb winch, Airtec Snorkel... more to come....soon (still have a very long wishlist)

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X