• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • jahbolo
    • Mar 2018
    • Mauritius

PAJERO NS V5A5A Motul ATF VI

Dear All,

I recently bought my NS a month ago and i've been doing the fluids change as soon as finance allows. So this time I am doing the gearbox fluid change. It is the V5A5A gearbox and requires Mitsu's Diaqueen/Diamond ATF SP III fluid.

Checking with Motul, their ATF VI fluid is compatible with Mitsubishi SP III.

However the ATF VI is a low viscosity fluid as compared to the Motul Multi ATF for example which is a high viscosity fluid. Comparing with the Castrol Transmax Z which has a viscosity index of 170, the Motul ATF VI has a viscosity index of 159.

Has anyone here on this forum had an experience with using Motul's ATF VI in their 3.2 DiD autos?

Are low viscosity ATFs okay to use with the V5A5A?

Thanks in advance for your inputs.

Javed
  • Piet Potjie
    • May 2016
    • Pretoria SA

The viscosity index of a lubricant is only one single aspect of a very complex product. ATF formulations differ vastly from one to another in their physical and chemical composition. These formulations are very confidential. Only the very basic information such as viscosity index etc is revealed as this can be determined by simply testing a product anyway. Determining what is actually in a formulation by testing is just not possible. Should an ATF be unsuitable, the consequences could be very serious. Unless you are absolutely positive that a product is suitable, rather do not take the chance. It just is not worth it.

Comment

• gaz1
      Valued Member
      • Jun 2007
      • Blue Mountains NSW

Motul is not a commonly used brand in Australia, in fact I don't recall ever seeing it for sale in various motor supply shops, nor used by any of the workshops I've used over many years. However I think the advice from Piet Porjie is sound. I've been using Castrol synthetic Transmax with SPIII compliance for a few years now with only good results. Nice smooth and quick changes both up and down.
      2010 MY 2011 VR-X V6. Stock standard.

Previously 02 NM auto V6 Exceed silver. Extra transmission cooler & transmission temp gauge, activated rear lights, Impco sequential LPG system, Redback (Wildcat) Headers, heavy duty radiator. Lovells shocks F & R, Polyair bags in rear.

My original Pajero experience - '90 NG Superwagon, 3.0 V6 manual bought new and kept until 1998. Great vehicle, no problems apart from the noisy valve lifters typical of that engine.

Comment

• benckj
        Valued Member
        • Oct 2017
        • Alexandra , New Zealand

Many of us the Penrite FS product with great results. Might be worth looking into as it’s proven for our application and very inexpensive.

Comment

• jahbolo
          • Mar 2018
          • Mauritius

Hey guys thanks for your replies. I've been running the motul atf vi now 6 months and no issues whatsoever. Smooth shift and running.

Sent from my Mi A2 using Tapatalk

Comment

• MyExceed
            • May 2014
            • Hobart, Tas

Hi all,

I've got a V6 auto NS and I'm considering changing the AT fluid. I've read quite a few threads on here about the different transmissions between NS and later Models as well as various brands of fluid, fully synthetic/semi synthetic and I'm utterly confused.

I think I've narrowed it down to two Nulon products, one being a fully synthetic and the other a semi synthetic. Both seem suitable and meet the SP III manufacturers specs but I'm seeking advice on whether I should use semi or full synthetic.

I plan on doing a number of partial refills after draining via the AT sump plug.

Thanks in advance

Mark
            Mark

NS Exceed V6, xrox bar with domin8r 12000lb winch, The Ultimate Suspension 2" lift, 265/70/17 BFG A/T, LED spots, LED fog lights, 40" roof mounted lightbar, OCAM alloy rack, dual batteries, Boos bash plates, diff breathers, Garmin 67LMT GPS, Tyredog TPMS, Uniden UHF, Engel MR40f in rear drawer system, external phone antennae, cargo barrier, dual side awnings, RTT, shovel holder, spare wheel lift

Comment

• spot01
              Valued Member
              • Apr 2011
              • Adelaide

I think the change in diesel autos may have confused?

Your car has the Jatco trans - this was used in all NS petrols & diesels.
              From the NT onwards, petrols retained the Jatco but diesels got the stronger Aisin trans.
              Pajero NX MY21 GLS

Comment

• aussieintas
                Valued Member
                • Feb 2013
                • Sorell, Tasmania

And instead of doing partial refills you can do a flush using the below threads as a guide. Although for gen 3 models its the same for the NS auto as same gearbox (Jatco) as spot01 has said.

Personally I'd go fully synthetic. When I did my auto oil change I used genuine Mitsubishi auto gearbox oil from the dealer, it was cheaper than anything from Supercheap at the time.

2014 VW Touareg V6 diesel

Previously
                88 NF Exe SWB 2.6 manual
                92 NH Gls LWB 3.0 auto
                92 NH J-Top 2.5 manual
                99 Landcruiser Gxl 4.5 manual with all the fruit
                95 NJ Gls SWB 3.0 auto
                08 NS Vrx SWB 3.2 auto​

Comment

• MyExceed
                  • May 2014
                  • Hobart, Tas

Thanks guys

I'll go with the fully synthetic and I'll call the stealer and see what they quote me.

Last question, how much does fluid does the AT sump hold?

Cheers
                  Mark

NS Exceed V6, xrox bar with domin8r 12000lb winch, The Ultimate Suspension 2" lift, 265/70/17 BFG A/T, LED spots, LED fog lights, 40" roof mounted lightbar, OCAM alloy rack, dual batteries, Boos bash plates, diff breathers, Garmin 67LMT GPS, Tyredog TPMS, Uniden UHF, Engel MR40f in rear drawer system, external phone antennae, cargo barrier, dual side awnings, RTT, shovel holder, spare wheel lift

Comment

• gaz1
                    Valued Member
                    • Jun 2007
                    • Blue Mountains NSW

Initial draining of the sump usually produces about 4 litres, if memory is correct.
                    2010 MY 2011 VR-X V6. Stock standard.

Previously 02 NM auto V6 Exceed silver. Extra transmission cooler & transmission temp gauge, activated rear lights, Impco sequential LPG system, Redback (Wildcat) Headers, heavy duty radiator. Lovells shocks F & R, Polyair bags in rear.

My original Pajero experience - '90 NG Superwagon, 3.0 V6 manual bought new and kept until 1998. Great vehicle, no problems apart from the noisy valve lifters typical of that engine.

Comment

• MyExceed
                      • May 2014
                      • Hobart, Tas

Originally posted by gaz1 View Post
                      Initial draining of the sump usually produces about 4 litres, if memory is correct.
                      Thanks mate
                      Mark

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X