• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • m_and_m
    Valued Member
    • Mar 2010
    • Tea Tree Gully, Adelaide

Why the Pajero Sport transmission isn't silky smooth

I've been away in Queensland this week with a Pajero Sport hire car and just gave it back.

This gave me a great chance to play with an understand the new 8 speed transmission, and to see if it would benefit from developing a lockup-mate for it.

Here are my observations.

My first impression was the gear changes were very noticeable - as also observed in this thread

I spent a lot of time understanding when the transmission locked up and when it didn't.
    My testing was done in SPORT mode, 2H. No testing in 4H or 4LLc.

Here are my conclusions:
    1. it doesn't lockup in 1st and 2nd gear at all
    2. in 3rd to 8th gears it locks up at ~1900rpm, and stays locked until you drop revs to ~1200 RPM, even if you accelerate gently.
    3. If you accelerate firmly between 1500 and 1900 RPM (in 3rd-6th) when locked, it will unlock (to give you power) and then re-lock again at about 2000-2400RPM depending on the accelerator pedal position.
    4. When in 7th or 8th gear it doesn't do this. At low RPM (say 1300), it just stays locked if you accelerate firmly and you get very poor engine response. There is no shudder in the driveline like you'd get with a Gen4 Pajero
    5. When you take you foot off the accelerator it unlocks. The moment you apply acceleration again it re-lock immediately. You see this as a little wobble on the tacho needle.
    6. As you accelerate in DRIVE, you see the RPM drop significantly with each gear change (~400 RPM) and there is no torque converter slippage, So you also don't get that spongy auto feel either.

So the reason the gear shifts are not as smooth as a Gen4 Pajero or a Challenger is the 8 speed transmission is programmed to lockup the torque converter to eliminate the slippage.

In contrast, the Gen4 Pajero and challenger let the torque converter slip, which generates heat, uses more fuel...but make it smoother in operation.

So my lockup-mate/auto-mate products maximise torque converter lockup and make the Gen 4 Paj and the Challenger transmissions operate pretty much the same as the 8 speed transmission in the Paj Sport. This is comforting

With the 8 speed Pajero Sport you get all the benefits of lower transmission temperatures and better fuel economy, BUT, the gear changes are more noticeable. ie not 'as smooth'

I think this answers the question people often ask about why didn't they just lockup the torque converter like they should have from factory.....because if they did, some people don't like it because it's not as smooth. With a 5 speed transmission the spacing of gear ratios are wider hence is even more noticeable than in a 8 speed.
    People expect an auto transmission to be silky smooth and the slipping torque converter allow this feeling.
    In the Pajero Sport it works more or less like a clutchless manual, and this just takes a little getting used to. It's not bad, just different...and in my opinion better.

Will I develop a lockup-mate for a Pajero Sport? No.
    It is already programmed correctly and will give better fuel economy and lower transmission temperatures than if they'd let the torque converter slip more.
    I reckon you can tow with confidence in a Pajero Sport that you're not going to overheat the transmission. Wouldn't mind hearing the opinions from PS owners though.

Hmmm...should I develop an unlockup-mate product to make the transmission smoother?
    Last edited by m_and_m; 03-08-18, 06:04 PM.
    2016 NX Exceed 3.2 DiD, BullBar | 2" OME lift | Safari snorkel | UHF | Towbar | Tow pro elite ECB | Full Bushskinz UBP and side steps | HID highbeam upgrade | 9" LED spots | 100Ahr Aux. Battery | HPD Oil catch can | Flappy Paddles | auto-matePRO
    2016 LC200 Sahara V8 Diesel,Lots of Mods too
    Checkout our products at MM4x4 http://www.mm4x4.com.au auto-mate and lockup-mate for Mitsubishi's and Toyota's
  • old Jack
    Regular
    • Jun 2011
    • Adelaide, South Australia.

Upshift, downshift and TC lockup profiles for Pajero Sport in this thread;

OJ.
    2011 PB Base White Auto, Smartbar, Cooper STMaxx LT235/85R-16,TPMS, HR TB, 3 x Bushskinz, front +40mm Dobinson , rear +50mm EHDVR Lovells, Dobinson MT struts and shockers, Peddars 5899 cone springs, Windcheater rack, GME UHF, Custom alloy drawer system inc. 30lt Engel & 2 x 30 AH LiFePo batteries + elec controls, Tailgate hi-lift/long struts, Phillips +100 LB & HB, Lightforce 20" single row driving beam LED lightbar, Scanguage II.
    MM4x4 Auto Mate, Serial No 1 .

Comment

• m_and_m
      Valued Member
      • Mar 2010
      • Tea Tree Gully, Adelaide

Originally posted by old Jack View Post
      Great details OJ. Thanks.
      2016 NX Exceed 3.2 DiD, BullBar | 2" OME lift | Safari snorkel | UHF | Towbar | Tow pro elite ECB | Full Bushskinz UBP and side steps | HID highbeam upgrade | 9" LED spots | 100Ahr Aux. Battery | HPD Oil catch can | Flappy Paddles | auto-matePRO
      2016 LC200 Sahara V8 Diesel,Lots of Mods too
      Checkout our products at MM4x4 http://www.mm4x4.com.au auto-mate and lockup-mate for Mitsubishi's and Toyota's

Comment

• pfgrobler
        • May 2014
        • Centurion. South Africa

Great info

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

Comment

• DID Dash
          • Aug 2016
          • Australia

Interesting observations m & m. I rarely drive autos but in the past was frustrated with my NS shorty diesel with Jatco auto. That was enough to get me back into a manual (Challenger) last vehicle change. Now just into a Pajero Sport and quite like the positive shift characteristics. Sometimes feels a bit busy getting off the mark but does a good job at being in the right gear at the right time. I drive in 4H at all times, but used low range gravel and sand mode over the weekend. Very impressed with it so far. Sand mode in particular holds the lower gears longer and provides plenty of revs.
          17MY Pajero Sport, Factory Towbar, King Springs KCRS-23/Pedders 5899 Cones, 265/70R17 A/T's for the rough trips.

Comment

• RobMichelle
            • Jan 2021
            • Horsham

So towing with Sport would you hold it back in 7th or just let it do its own thing in drive?
            2.6 ton van
            Rob
            21 Nx Pajero,Arb bullbar, winch, catch can, prefilter,ultra gauge, uhf, hf radios,celfigo,long range tank,2imch OME lift, Toyo at2 tyres, third row seat removed, 2nd battery and stuff in the hole.
            AutoMatePro

21 Pajero Sport GLS, UltraGauge, third row seats removed,

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
            Working...
            X