• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • pcfox
    • Dec 2012
    • Warnbro, WA

Beach Driving Problem

Hi all
    I'm newish to Pajero ownership and this forum. Reading here has been a great help in deciding to buy the Paj.
    Mine's a 2010 NT Rx.
    Problem I'm having is getting going after stopping on sand. Seems to me 4wd isn't engaging properly and/or the traction control decides there slip on all 4 corners and won't give drive to any of them.
    Serching the forum suggests the solenoids may stick if not engaged often. Not sure what use the previous owner made of 4wd.
    I'm defintely in 4H getting onto the beach but get no drive to any wheel after stopping. Selecting 4L, etc results in indicator lights flashing - not going solid. After faffing with the selector for a while, it seems something has clicked and I have drive.
    Since the NT has a good sand reputation I assume this isn't normal or (entirely) a result of poor driving tecnique. I have Torque on my phone and it doesn't show up any fault codes.
    As the vehicle is still in warranty, I'll take it to the dealer - but I'd like the thoughts of knowledgable forum members so I have have an idea if they're just bull****ing me.
    cheers
    Peter
  • markpeh
    Valued Member
    • Apr 2010
    • Lake Clarendon QLD

Have you turned off the ASC?
    That will give you problems in sand if you dont.
    NT ACTIV 2010 DID Manual

Comment

• pcfox
      • Dec 2012
      • Warnbro, WA

Thanks Markpeh
      First time I didn't until I stopped. Had the problem anyway after turning it off.

Comment

• DaveH
        Valued Member
        • Dec 2010
        • sydney

The Pajero is my first 4WD. It took me a while to get accustomed to it. When it was new I experienced a similar problem but after engaging 4H and 4HLc on the fly a few times the problem went away.

Now when I change from 2H to 4H I wait till the lights go solid before engaging the 4HLc. If I'm stationary sometimes I need to move in and out of Drive to rock the car a bit. Same when I engage 4HLc. I only enage 4LLc if 4HLC is engaged properly. I of course stop and select neutral before selecting 4LLc. Sometimes it takes a while to enage and again I need to rock the car a bit by momentarily moving in and out of drive.

What I did find when I first bought the car was if I moved straight from 2H or 4H to 4LLC without ensuring that 4HLc had been engaged the PJ would never engage 4LLc.

as per the previous post turning off the ASC will help in the sand.

Hope this helps
        2010 NT DiD Platinum, MM tow bar, Red Arc electric brake controller, ARB Delux bullbar, Ultimate HD suspension and shocks, Engineers cert for GVM upgrade, Airtech snorkle, Cooper ST Maxx, 2nd Battery+ extra sockets, catch can, intercooler/ sump/ transmission guard, scan guage II, Hid driving lights, Ironman awning, daytime driving lights + other little bits

Comment

• pcfox
          • Dec 2012
          • Warnbro, WA

Thanks DaveH
          I think some experimentation is in order. Your explanation about the 4llc sounds right.
          This is my first auto 4wd and all the electronic management stuff will take a bit of getting used to. Did you experience the no drive at all issue - engine revs but nothing happens at the wheels?
          cheers

Comment

• DaveH
            Valued Member
            • Dec 2010
            • sydney

I don't know if I ever had no drive at all, as I never tried to drive off till the ights went solid. If experimenting be careful of transmission lock up especially when disengaging 4LLc.
            2010 NT DiD Platinum, MM tow bar, Red Arc electric brake controller, ARB Delux bullbar, Ultimate HD suspension and shocks, Engineers cert for GVM upgrade, Airtech snorkle, Cooper ST Maxx, 2nd Battery+ extra sockets, catch can, intercooler/ sump/ transmission guard, scan guage II, Hid driving lights, Ironman awning, daytime driving lights + other little bits

Comment

• pcfox
              • Dec 2012
              • Warnbro, WA

You're scaring me now DaveH. Maybe I should have kept the manual Navara!
              Actually I suspect following your process will solve my problem.
              cheers & for your help.

Comment

• DaveH
                Valued Member
                • Dec 2010
                • sydney

Remember you can change from 2H to 4H and then to 4HLc at speeds up to 100kph. It works really well. You only need to be stationary to engange 4LLc which I understand is common to most 4WDs

Comment

• dolphin
                  Valued Member
                  • Jan 2008

an auto is alot better than a manual when starting off in soft sand, as long as your right foot aint too heavy. normal 4 x 4 drive and a slow take will get you out of the soft.
                  NS 3.2 Diesel, Polor White , Black CSA Rims, HanKook Dynapro AT Tyres, 3 inch custom stainless steel exhaust with free flow Cat & Muffler, 50mm Lift, Old Man Emu Shocks and Springs, TJM Bullbar powder coated White, Custom 7mm Sump Guard & Transmission Guard, 8 inch LED Spotties plus 20 inch LED Light Bar, rear Reverse LED Light, ARB Roof Cage , Tiger11 Awning.

Comment

• Aussie_Dan
                    Valued Member
                    • Jan 2010
                    • Cairns

You have dropped the tyre pressures?
                    Turning off the ASC should solve all of your issues. If of course your tyre pressures are low enough for the conditions.
                    The Pajero is a weapon in the sand, this is the sort of terrain where it really shows its true colours.
                    Cheers, Dan.
                    2004 NP DiD GLX, 5 spd Manual with SMF, ARB Bullbar, Ironman 12000lb winch, Lightforce Genesis lights, Airtec Snorkel, 81L LRA tank, Unifilter, GME 3500 UHF, Redarc elec brake controller, ARB dual Batt tray with 60AH Deep cycle Batt & Redarc Isolator, Bushskinz Sliders, intercooler and sump guards, Lovells raised HD springs, Polyairs & Bilstein shocks, Milford Cargo Barrier, Philips +100 globes, 2nd set of rims with 245/75x16 Bighorns, Waeco 60L Fridge & a Cavalier camper trailer!

Comment

• pcfox
                      • Dec 2012
                      • Warnbro, WA

Thanks everyone.
                      I doubt tyre pressure is the issue. I started my offroading in the original Subaru and quickly discovered the benefits of dropping to 10lb.
                      Seems that unfamiliarity with the vehicle and not enough attention to detail are the main issues.
                      Note to self: need to spend much more time off the black stuff!
                      cheers to all who've responded

Comment

• JoshF
                        Valued Member
                        • Jan 2008
                        • Brisbane

Originally posted by DaveH View Post
                        Remember you can change from 2H to 4H and then to 4HLc at speeds up to 100kph. It works really well. You only need to be stationary to engange 4LLc which I understand is common to most 4WDs
                        Just back of the accelerator as you move between them as they change faster without load being present (no real loss of speed)
                        NS Tall and Short (Trakryder/Bilstein 2" lift with Polyairs) DiD "R", Gunmetal on BFG 270/60/17 AT's, TJM Bullbar, 9500lb Ox Winch, Icom 450, AirTech Snorkel, Cargo Barrier, Dual Battery System to power a CF 40, ScanguageII, LRA Auxillary Tank
                        Custom Intercooler/Sump/Transmission Bash Plates and Sliders by http://www.bushskinz4x4.com.au/

Comment

• RJOther
                          • Apr 2009
                          • Vermont South, Vic

Changing to locked center

This is a note from the service manual.

Note: If the vehicle is not fully stopped or if the selector lever is at a position other than N position when selecting 4HLc or 4LLc, the 4WD indicator lamp will flash more quickly than normal, and the 4WD position will not be selected. This is a normal phenomenon which serves to control the smooth selection of 4HLc and 4LLc.

You cannot select any of the "Locked Center Diff" modes unless the vehicle is stationary and in N. (Presumably this is for an automatic, I expect that similar would apply or a manual.)

There should be a card in the drivers sunvisor pocket that explains the requirements for changing into the 4wd modes.

I have had the case happen that you described where there is no drive to the wheels even though the selector was in the 4wd position. I seem to recall the lights were still flashing at the time. It was just a matter of "exercising" the mechanism by working through all possible modes several times to free it up. This included rocking the car back and forward to help it engage.

Cheers,
                          Ross
                          2009 NT DiD Exceed, ARB Deluxe Bar, Lightforce Genesis HIDs, iCom IC-400pro, Milford Cargo Barrier, TJM Battery Tray & DBS, ARB Fridge,
                          P3 Brake Controller, D697 LT265/60R18, Lovells HD 50mm lift, Bilsteins.

Comment

• DaveH
                            Valued Member
                            • Dec 2010
                            • sydney

I have the 2010 MY10 variant of the PJ with the Aisin Superselect Auto. My manual says I can engage 4HLc at speeds up to 100kph. The only condition is that I back off the accelerator when engaging 4HLc. I have used this feature successfully on a number of occassions. I think somewhere it also says the PJ should be going straight ahead when engaging 4HLc

In a separate section the manual says if the PJ is stationary and 4HLc is engaged the auto must be put in neutral.

Comment

• pcfox
                              • Dec 2012
                              • Warnbro, WA

Wow, you guys read the manual!

Good advice on here - a real bonus to owning a Pajero

Now I know what's been happening I shouldn't have the same problem. Hope I can get out to test it all this weekend.

Cheers and thanks again.

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X