• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • jhale101
    • Apr 2015
    • adelaide

3" exhaust

Am seriously considering 3 inch exhaust system.
    Do the new systems usually include a new catalitic converter or do they usually connect after existing cat.
    2" lift kit, SVP EGR mod, Roley rear bash plate, LED interior lighting, spare wheel lift, Uniden UHF, Poly Air bags, 2100 mm Rhino Roof rack on Rhino rails, Rear drawers, LED reversing lights
  • littleriver
    Valued Member
    • Jan 2013
    • Queensland

Originally posted by jhale101 View Post
    Am seriously considering 3 inch exhaust system.
    Do the new systems usually include a new catalitic converter or do they usually connect after existing cat.
    You can get either ... but better to go with the 200 cell

Buy a Mitsubishi 4x4 exhaust system hand-made by experienced manufacturers right here in Australia using top-grade materials. Visit our online store for high-quality Mitsubishi exhausts, fast order processing & quick delivery

Give them a call for more info ...

Last edited by littleriver; 26-02-19, 11:28 AM.
    2012 PB Challenger LS (Manual) Safari Snorkel, OZtec shocks front & rear with King Springs (lift 2 inch) , 22 inch light bar on ECB Nudge bar, roof racks & basket, Bridgestone Duelers 697 LT A/T (116S), Uniden Dash cam, Oricom 2 way radio 80 channel, Ipod connected via glove box usb, Waeco cf50, Garmin gps (with topo), Opticoat + paint protection, Nilrust proofing, Roosystems Ecu Remap

Comment

• fourocker
      • Jan 2018
      • Blue Mountains NSW

Diesel I'm guessing, go 2.75 inch (3 inch can contribute to over boost ) right off the back of the turbo, the first metre or so is the most beneficial to replace and if you include a cat don't install it in that first metre.
      3 inch is totally unnecessary and of no benefit as is any replacement of the exhaust after the rear diff, just no gain there.
      You may be able to save some money by having a custom setup done how you ask for it versus an entire off the shelf setup unless you plan to fit the off the shelf stuff yourself......then it may be better to get a quote.

Comment

• nj swb
        Resident
        • Jun 2007
        • Adelaide

Originally posted by fourocker View Post
        Diesel I'm guessing, go 2.75 inch (3 inch can contribute to over boost ) right off the back of the turbo, the first metre or so is the most beneficial to replace and if you include a cat don't install it in that first metre.
        3 inch is totally unnecessary and of no benefit as is any replacement of the exhaust after the rear diff, just no gain there.
        How does a larger exhaust contribute to over boost?
        NT Platinum. DiD Auto with 265/70R17 ST Maxx, Lift, Lockers, Lockup Mate, Low range reduction, LRA Aux tank, bull bar, winch, lots of touring stuff. Flappy paddles. MMCS is gone!

Project: NJ SWB. 285/75R16 ST Maxx, 2" OME suspension, 2" body lift, ARB 110, 120l tank, bullbar, scratches, no major dents. Fully engineered in SA. NW DiD & auto in place - a long way to go....

Scorpro Explorer Box

Comment

• rotare
          Valued Member
          • Nov 2007

Not this old chestnut again....
          2013 NW VRX

Comment

• rykiel575
            • Sep 2017
            • Sydney

From my reading beaudesert do a 2.75" to differentiate themselves from the others but there was a poster on here who argued that 3" is better which i am more inclined to believe.
            2012 NW Pajero GXL 3.2L

Comment

• Chooseboost
              • Nov 2014
              • Western NSW

From my previous performance car experience with turbos bigger exhaust is always better. Overboosting could be a problem but am unsure.
              2013 NW VRX - ARB Deluxe bar, TJM 9500lb winch with synthetic rope, MT STZ's 265/60/18, UHF, Tough Dog Suspension Lift, Bushskinz Intercooler/sump guard and transmission guard, Bushskinz rock sliders, Boo's rear bash plate, Airtec snorkel, ARB diff breathers, Aurora 5w 20" lightbar, Rhino Pioneer Roof Rack. Second set of tyres on 17" challenger rims - Hankook Dynapro MT's 265/70/17. Kalahari Black awning.
              Check out my YouTube page!
              4x4therapy

Comment

• erad
                Valued Member
                • Mar 2015
                • Cooma NSW

Even the standard 2.75 inch exhaust can suffer from over boost. Boost is controlled by the ECU, regulating the vanes on the turbo. If the sensor or the ECU fail, you can get over boost. A 3" exhaust will have less back pressure so the turbo will spool up quicker that the standard 2.75 inch (a good idea) and thus there is a possibility of over boost if the ECU does not control it quickly enough, but this should be only for a short time and then the ECU should pull the boost back to design conditions. My NW (2.75 inch standard exhaust) boost occasionally gets to 22.5 psi, but then the ECU pulls it back to around 17.5 PSI. A 3" exhaust will get you max boost earlier int he rev range than the standard 2.75 inch, ubt the difference will be marginal.

Comment

• fourocker
                  • Jan 2018
                  • Blue Mountains NSW

Originally posted by nj swb View Post
                  How does a larger exhaust contribute to over boost?
                  I have read this occurs because it's not a simple waste gated turbo (which is more reliable), it is an ecu controlled turbo and if the extra exhaust flow has the turbine spinning faster than expected it can take the ecu a little time to regain control.
                  If you believe it or not that's up to you but I thought the op should be aware of the possibility.

Comment

• nj swb
                    Resident
                    • Jun 2007
                    • Adelaide

I have read this occurs because it's not a simple waste gated turbo (which is more reliable), it is an ecu controlled turbo and if the extra exhaust flow has the turbine spinning faster than expected it can take the ecu a little time to regain control.
                    If you believe it or not that's up to you but I thought the op should be aware of the possibility.
                    So it's a short term thing? A few seconds? If so, that's nothing to worry about,because it won't have enough time to raise any temperatures to the point they will do damage. Sustained overboost is the problem.
                    NT Platinum. DiD Auto with 265/70R17 ST Maxx, Lift, Lockers, Lockup Mate, Low range reduction, LRA Aux tank, bull bar, winch, lots of touring stuff. Flappy paddles. MMCS is gone!

Project: NJ SWB. 285/75R16 ST Maxx, 2" OME suspension, 2" body lift, ARB 110, 120l tank, bullbar, scratches, no major dents. Fully engineered in SA. NW DiD & auto in place - a long way to go....

Scorpro Explorer Box

Comment

• Uncle Fester
                      Valued Member
                      • Sep 2007
                      • Boambee East NSW

Originally posted by rykiel575 View Post
                      From my reading beaudesert do a 2.75" to differentiate themselves from the others but there was a poster on here who argued that 3" is better which i am more inclined to believe.
                      Ive had both on my 2010 NT Auto and I couldn't notice any difference between the 2.75 BD and the 3.00 Scotts Rods one I have on now.
                      NT 2010 GLX Police Pack, Auto 3.2 Diesel, Smartbar, Warn XD9000 Winch and Rear Diff Lock. Cooper AT3s on Factoty Alloys, 45mm lift TJM XGS GOLD front & rear, S/D with Poly air bags Rear and HD Front , Bushskinz I/C guard, TJM T/F Case And G/Box guards, Duel Battery setup with Redarc Isolator and Redarc electric brake controller.

Comment

• rotare
                        Valued Member
                        • Nov 2007

This has been discussed before. Plenty of people are running 3 inch exhausts on their Pajero's, including myself, and have never experienced any over-boost - ever. In previous threads on this topic some people have pointed out various other makes and models of vehicles have known issues with over-boost when larger exhausts are fitted - so blanket statements are made and conclusions are drawn that it will be an issue on the Pajero as well, but it appears not to be for most.

In regards to your comments that a 3 inch is totally unnecessary. A turbo charger works best when the pressure differential across the turbine is maximised. The best and easiest way to achieve this for most people is to have zero restriction / back pressure on the outlet side of the turbine (ie, the exhaust). Hence why the largest and least restrictive exhaust will give you the best outright performance and responsiveness. In theory the 3.2 engines may only need a 2.75 inch exhaust to achieve this, however factor in weld protrusion inside the pipes, mismatch of pipes when welded together, mismatch of flanges and gaskets, friction losses from bends, back pressure created by mufflers etc etc, and what you end up with is a systems that flows much less than 2.75 inches....

Hence why it makes sense to fit the largest practical exhaust which helps negate and offsets these common issues when exhausts are constructed. The other consideration is that 3 inch pipe, mufflers and components are way more common to source than 2.75 inch. Every exhaust shop carries the stuff. So if you ever need to have repairs done to a 3 inch exhaust you'll find it will be much easier and cheaper, and you'll have more choices of mufflers, than 2.75 inch.

Unless you have space limitations under your car that requires you to fit a 2.75 inch exhaust, a 3 inch exhaust will work just fine, likely perform better and probably be cheaper to purchase than the 2.75 inch exhaust anyways
                        2013 NW VRX

Comment

• Scouter1
                          Valued Member
                          • Mar 2013
                          • Sydney NSW

Another member of the 3" gang here - no overboost issues since installation over 4 years ago.
                          2011 Silver NT GLS DiD Auto with extra bits - build thread http://www2.pajeroclub.com.au/forum/...ad.php?t=36099

Comment

• thorno
                            • Jul 2007

The standard system is definately not 2.75". Lol. Some sections are 2.25". You will benefit from a 3”. I have a Beaudesert 2.75" and am super happy with it.
                            2013 NW 3.2 DiD VRX. EFS Elite HD 2" suspension. Boos Bash plates. Roley rear plate. Ironman bullbar with 1200lb winch and DRL's. 9" LED spots. Dual Battery. Ocam rails and roof rack, Kings 2.5x2.5 awning. Beaudesert exhaust with muffler delete. Safari snorkel. Provent 200 catch can. Single drawer with fridge slide, Evakool 50L fridge. Redarc Elite electric brake controller. EGR turned off and blanked. Idrive. Ultragauge.

Comment

• Poita
                              Valued Member
                              • Sep 2010
                              • Adelaide

As rotare already mentioned, turbos work on differential pressure. Go as big as you can practically fit in other words.

And there is zero point only replacing some of it. If you do it, you need to do the lot of you are wasting your money. The pressure seen will be from the smallest diameter point in the whole system.
                              NW VRX MY2013
                              Jonny Tig FMIC, 3" Exhaust, RalliArt remap, Provent, FuelManager, CouplerTec rust protection, ARB bar, Runva winch, TJM Snorkel, Bilstein/Lovell/Airbags, full Bushskins kit, Asfir AC+fuel, Fyrlyt Nemesis 9000 spotties + LED headlights, Uniden UHF, RedArc TowPro Elite, BRC breathers, Honda sprayers, Automate lockup/paddles, Rhino platform/backbone

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X