• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • greig
    Valued Member
    • Aug 2010
    • kanwal

Catch can?

Has anyone installed a catch can ? Anyone thinking of it ?

Even with an EGR blank, how much crap does there get into the intake ?
  • 02-SR5
    Valued Member
    • Dec 2010
    • Toowoomba

I will be watching this thread closley as I too am very interested in these modifications.

Rob
    MY17 Triton GLX Plus with Mitsubishi Canopy. Keeping it light and simple. 265/70/16 Nitto's, Bilstien shocks, Kings Springs front, Formula leafs rear, ECB nudge bar, Ligjtforce 170's, twin batteries and a ARB fridge.

Comment

• LukeS
      • Mar 2010
      • Brisbane

Originally posted by 02-SR5 View Post
      I will be watching this thread closley as I too am very interested in these modifications.

Rob
      It would be an interesting experiment to see how much blowby the challenger has that is being recycled into the engine.. Should be easy enough to do with just a small coke bottle..
      Mitsubishi PB Challenger:- Charcoal, 5sp auto, Factory bluetooth, Mickey Thompson ATZ 4 rib 265 70/17, Old Man Emu suspension, Hayman Reece towbar, Custom nudge bar w/lightforce spotties, Custom bash plates, Extended diff breathers, GME TX3100 UHF, ABR Dual battery system, Prodigy P3 brake controller, APT fabrication sliders/steps. Towing: Jayco Hawk Outback

To do: Airtec snorkel, maybe ARB bar...

Comment

• cate03
        • Jun 2010
        • Sydney

A lot of talk about catch cans on the newtriton.net threads. Lots of blow by both the 3.2 and 2.5.

Cheers,
        Carl

Comment

• Wrex
          Valued Member
          • Aug 2007
          • Perth

I had the intercooler hose pop off on my NS Pajero and saw how much oil is in the system. Chip it do a catch can with replaceable paper filter inside. I have one fitted to my car. Very easy to fit yourself. The Challenger is no different.

This website is for sale! chipit.com.au is your first and best source for all of the information you’re looking for. From general topics to more of what you would expect to find here, chipit.com.au has it all. We hope you find what you are searching for!

Comment

• zzkazu
            • Dec 2010
            • Giralang ACT

Any progress on this?
            I'm thinking the Provent 200 as chipit version seems fit and miss from reports in newtriton. What are peoples thoughts experiences with warranty impact?

Comment

• Ballfyboy
              Valued Member
              • Sep 2007
              • Brisbane

I have purchased a provent 200 but I have yet to install it.
              NX Pajero with a ARB Frontier LR tank and some semi-big ideas.

Comment

• LukeS
                • Mar 2010
                • Brisbane

Originally posted by Ballfyboy View Post
                I have purchased a provent 200 but I have yet to install it.
                Does the provent 200 plumb back into the intake after filtering the blow by residue? I have done a bit of a search on the net and cant seem to find a definitive answer.. If this is the case, apart from emissions laws, Im trying to understand the benifets of filtering it back into the system?
                Mitsubishi PB Challenger:- Charcoal, 5sp auto, Factory bluetooth, Mickey Thompson ATZ 4 rib 265 70/17, Old Man Emu suspension, Hayman Reece towbar, Custom nudge bar w/lightforce spotties, Custom bash plates, Extended diff breathers, GME TX3100 UHF, ABR Dual battery system, Prodigy P3 brake controller, APT fabrication sliders/steps. Towing: Jayco Hawk Outback

Comment

• Ballfyboy
                  Valued Member
                  • Sep 2007
                  • Brisbane

Originally posted by LukeS View Post
                  Does the provent 200 plumb back into the intake after filtering the blow by residue? I have done a bit of a search on the net and cant seem to find a definitive answer.. If this is the case, apart from emissions laws, Im trying to understand the benifets of filtering it back into the system?
                  Luke,
                  Yes it does. There is plenty of info on newtriton.net regarding this mod. Basically oil vapour residue + EGR carbon = sludge.....

It seems to be quite an easy way of reducing one side of the equation. Reports are that it will remove about 1 shot glass of oil every 8 to 10K.

I had it on good authority that MM had sent 2 engineers over from Japan to investigate the limp mode issues. Apparently they were quite keen to come up with there own fix (maybe a catch can??). Should be interesting to see what develops in the next 6 months.

Comment

• crazy_boy
                    • Mar 2011
                    • Philippines

im also looking for a catch can. but it seem difficult to look for NL 4M40 engine. the PCV is 18mm..

Comment

• Hayden
                      • Jun 2010
                      • Adelaide

Just ordered a catch can off EBAY based on the Greddy square design. The guy gives you a choice of 12mm or 15mm inlet/outlet connectors (Same as Challenger). Pack the unit with stainless steel scourers (Coles Homebrand the cheapest) and a stainless steel fine mesh (old sieve from an Op Shop cut up) on top of the scourers to make sure no bits get through the inter-cooler etc.
                      I will also run a piece of hose perforated on the bottom 80mm from the inlet side connector inside the catch can to spread the PCV blowby through the steel scourers before it exits back up the top. These hose bending gadgets look really good too!
                      Unicoil Stainless Steel hose coil shapers. The guy who invented them is an Australian and they seem a very useful bit of kit for shaping hose
                      I will post info as I install it.
                      PB LS Challenger Auto 5 Seater , Tinted windows, H/R Towbar, ECB Big Tube polished bull bar, Tekonsha Prodigy, Rhino roof racks, CTEK DC-DC dual battery system and battery mounted on a false floor, GME TX-3340 80 Channel UHF CB, Bushskinz protection plates, Narva Ultima 175's Combo, Way too many GPS systems (Magellan 600 Explorist, TomTom running Hema Maps, Laptop/GPS mouse running Oziexplorer and Hema / Garmin Topo V3) + Android Tablet/Copilot, Chipit System.

Comment

• norto
                        • Jan 2010
                        • Batemans Bay

Hayden
                        How much for the catch can.
                        Pete

Comment

• Hayden
                          • Jun 2010
                          • Adelaide

Originally posted by norto View Post
                          Hayden
                          How much for the catch can.
                          Hi Norto catchcan was $33.00 plus $15.00 small parcels delivery.
                          EBAY URL http://cgi.ebay.com.au/Oil-Catch-Can...item45f9395459

I will mount it after much thought to the air cleaner box to allow for easy draining and hose feeds.
                          PB LS Challenger Auto 5 Seater , Tinted windows, H/R Towbar, ECB Big Tube polished bull bar, Tekonsha Prodigy, Rhino roof racks, CTEK DC-DC dual battery system and battery mounted on a false floor, GME TX-3340 80 Channel UHF CB, Bushskinz protection plates, Narva Ultima 175's Combo, Way too many GPS systems (Magellan 600 Explorist, TomTom running Hema Maps, Laptop/GPS mouse running Oziexplorer and Hema / Garmin Topo V3) + Android Tablet/Copilot, Chipit System.

Comment

• Ballfyboy
                            Valued Member
                            • Sep 2007
                            • Brisbane

I have given up on trying to fit the Provent 200 to my car. I even tried to fit it under the bullbar on the drivers side. Just couldn't seem to get it to fit. Some of the guys on the newtriton.net site had fitted them, however it might have been in a 3.2 which may have slightly more room than the 2.5.

I will wait until the engineers that MM sent over to look at the issue come up with a nice factory solution.

Good luck to everybody else.

Comment

• LukeS
                              • Mar 2010
                              • Brisbane

Originally posted by Hayden View Post
                              Pack the unit with stainless steel scourers (Coles Homebrand the cheapest) and a stainless steel fine mesh (old sieve from an Op Shop cut up) on top of the scourers to make sure no bits get through the inter-cooler etc.

Can you tell me why your routing the sludge back into the intake? Why not run the hose directly into the catch can and terminate the flow there?? I dont see why you would plumb it back into the intake to go through the intercooler and system...

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X