• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Benchy
    • Jun 2018
    • Sydney

DPF with oil sensor fault ?

G'day,

I have a 2007 Pajero NS Diesel SWB with 330K on the clock.

Late last year the DPF light came on solid (first time ever). I took it for a run on highway and it went away. The other week the DPF warning light started flashing continuously with no warning. I took it for a long run but that didn’t help. It has now been flashing continuously for a couple of weeks. No other warning lights are showing.

I took it to my regular mechanic who tried to do a forced DPF regen. but couldn’t make it happen. He says that the fault code indicates an oil sensor fault stopping the regen process? He said that it was odd because he thought there should be an engine light on if there was an issue with the oil sensor. He suggests replacing the oil sensor as the next step but doesn’t seem real sure.

Reading other threads (very informative), the DPF looks to be a troublesome beast so I don’t want to spend a heap of money trying to find out what it is only to end up needing the whole DPF to be replaced.

So I’m looking for any advice on what I should do?

Does anyone know a good Mitsubishi mechanic around Peakhurst NSW 2210 or the North Ryde NSW 2113 area who could look into the issue, or do I stick with my local mechanic?

My other option is to take it to a MM service centre but expect that will be very expensive. It hasn’t been to one of them for 10 years but if they have special equipment to diagnose the problem it may be worth it?

Background
    • I use BP ultimate diesel and it has always been serviced on time by local mechanic. I recently had the 300K service done (which cost a bomb).
    • The car has mostly done freeway kms between Sydney and Newcastle in past but now it’s mainly doing city driving.
    • The front struts also need to be replaced. The local MM service centre quoted me $1200+. My mechanic wants around $800. A pair of KYB front struts sell for $280 on ebay…..seems like a lot for labour?

Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks Benchy
  • spot01
    Valued Member
    • Apr 2011
    • Adelaide

In case you haven't seen it mentioned in the posts you looked at:
    - check the engine oil level isn't overfull, as repeated failed regens can cause the sump to fill with diesel fuel, or leaking injector seals following a valve adjustment can also fill the sump with diesel fuel.

Did the failed regens/DPF light follow soon after either:
    - an oil change? if so, are you sure the correct "low ash" oil was used?
    - the change in usage to short runs?
    Pajero NX MY21 GLS

Comment

• craka
      Valued Member
      • Jun 2009
      • Newcastle (Newie)

Originally posted by Benchy View Post
      G'day,

I have a 2007 Pajero NS Diesel SWB with 330K on the clock.

Late last year the DPF light came on solid (first time ever). I took it for a run on highway and it went away. The other week the DPF warning light started flashing continuously with no warning. I took it for a long run but that didn’t help. It has now been flashing continuously for a couple of weeks. No other warning lights are showing.

I took it to my regular mechanic who tried to do a forced DPF regen. but couldn’t make it happen. He says that the fault code indicates an oil sensor fault stopping the regen process? He said that it was odd because he thought there should be an engine light on if there was an issue with the oil sensor. He suggests replacing the oil sensor as the next step but doesn’t seem real sure.

Reading other threads (very informative), the DPF looks to be a troublesome beast so I don’t want to spend a heap of money trying to find out what it is only to end up needing the whole DPF to be replaced.

So I’m looking for any advice on what I should do?

Does anyone know a good Mitsubishi mechanic around Peakhurst NSW 2210 or the North Ryde NSW 2113 area who could look into the issue, or do I stick with my local mechanic?

My other option is to take it to a MM service centre but expect that will be very expensive. It hasn’t been to one of them for 10 years but if they have special equipment to diagnose the problem it may be worth it?

Background
      • I use BP ultimate diesel and it has always been serviced on time by local mechanic. I recently had the 300K service done (which cost a bomb).
      • The car has mostly done freeway kms between Sydney and Newcastle in past but now it’s mainly doing city driving.
      • The front struts also need to be replaced. The local MM service centre quoted me $1200+. My mechanic wants around $800. A pair of KYB front struts sell for $280 on ebay…..seems like a lot for labour?

Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks Benchy
      Just commenting on your front strut issue, I'd imaging the $280 is for un assembled struts, the pajero up front uses coil over strut, and so needs spring compressed to removed each strut and replace with new.
      NS SWB X 3.2DiD - Factory locker, Hella spotties, GME UHF, 2" lift

Retired: 1991 NH SWB 3.0L V6 5sp Manual, Mickey Thompson ATZs, GME UHF TX3200.

Comment

• Benchy
        • Jun 2018
        • Sydney

Thanks for responses, much appreciated.

The continuous flashing DPF light came on between services. It had its major service last Nov. at 320K, the flashing light only came on a couple of weeks back. I took it into the mechanic last week to check what was wrong and he also did a oil change/service. It is now at 327K. I'll check the oil level in the morning. Not sure if mechanic changed the oil before or after trying the forced regens.

It has been going to the same mechanic for 10years so doubt it is the oil / ash content but I will ask him, what oil he is using.

I got the Pajero from relative about a year ago so it's possible that the more city driving I am doing has caused the problem. Just odd that it went straight to flashing light.

Regarding the struts, yes ebay price was only for the front strut assembly. Should I also replace the back shocks at same time? They are all original. Front struts are leaking oil and must replace. Back ones are probably pretty tired.

Comment

• craka
          Valued Member
          • Jun 2009
          • Newcastle (Newie)

After you get your DPF issues sorted.
          What is your intended use for the vehicle long term? If all original shocks, and depending on what you going to be doing with vehicle it may be pertinent to go after market with either new std height or increased height springs and new shocks.
          NS SWB X 3.2DiD - Factory locker, Hella spotties, GME UHF, 2" lift

Retired: 1991 NH SWB 3.0L V6 5sp Manual, Mickey Thompson ATZs, GME UHF TX3200.

Comment

• Benchy
            • Jun 2018
            • Sydney

Suspension - Car will only be used for road driving and occasional camping trips on dirt roads pulling a trailer but nothing rough. No major adventures planned.

DPF - I checked the oil level and it looked a bit high on dip stick (~5-7mm above the top mark). Is that normal or a problem? Oil is clear colour….no smell of diesel. Oil has always been clean as its regularly serviced. Will attach pic. I get charged $115 for the oil alone so hope it is the right stuff (low ash). Thanks for the comments

Comment

• Benchy
              • Jun 2018
              • Sydney

oil level pic
              Attached Files

Comment

• spot01
                Valued Member
                • Apr 2011
                • Adelaide

Suspension - Car will only be used for road driving and occasional camping trips on dirt roads pulling a trailer but nothing rough. No major adventures planned.

DPF - I checked the oil level and it looked a bit high on dip stick (~5-7mm above the top mark). Is that normal or a problem? Oil is clear colour….no smell of diesel. Oil has always been clean as its regularly serviced. Will attach pic. I get charged $115 for the oil alone so hope it is the right stuff (low ash). Thanks for the comments
                Shouldn't be a problem with oil at that level, provided it isn't diluted with fuel.

Perhaps ask the mechanic if that is the level he filled it to, or has it increased?

I'd check it at least weekly whilst your DPF issues are occurring, being sure the car is parked level & oil is cold. Any increase in level would be a concern.
                Pajero NX MY21 GLS

Comment

• Stoneman
                  Valued Member
                  • Jul 2012
                  • Melbourne

I would be checking what oil was used

Sounds to me the service was done with the wrong oil

Dpf is now overloaded
                  NS Pajero Exceed. With stuff

Comment

• Stoneman
                    Valued Member
                    • Jul 2012
                    • Melbourne

But yes your oil is now full of diesel

I wouldn’t be driving it until you change the oil

Comment

• Benchy
                      • Jun 2018
                      • Sydney

Thanks guys for advice. Just become more urgent.

Driving home the car has just started to run slightly rough happened 3x times on way home (~30km drive). Does that mean DPF is almost fully blocked?

Looks like I'm out of time to shop around for answer. What do I tell mechanic to do? Sounds like replacing oil level sensor won't help. If he replaces oil and can't force it to regen will it just fill the sump with diesel again?

Or do I just take it to local MM dealer and pay the freight to fix it properly. Have to hope they know what they are doing.

Comment

• Stoneman
                        Valued Member
                        • Jul 2012
                        • Melbourne

its a hard one

i doubt you will find out what oil was used

i think you have to go the dealer route as the mechanic couldn't do a regen

Comment

• Benchy
                          • Jun 2018
                          • Sydney

Thanks for advice. I have booked car into MM next Wed and will get them to tell me what is going on. If its worst case and needs the DPF replaced does anyone know what is the likely cost? Are there other options? I don't want to be taken for a ride.

I also got a quote (labour only) to install 2x front struts and 2x rear shocks for $450. Is that reasonable ? I can get set of KYBs Excel-Gs for around $470 or the Skorchers for ~$550. I plan to do 95+% road driving.

Nb the MM dealer quoted me ~$1300 to just replace the front struts.....hence my concern on possible cost for fixing the DPF issue.

Comment

• Benchy
                            • Jun 2018
                            • Sydney

Just rechecked oil level and it has gone up. Now 20mm above top mark. So probably now have diesel in oil
                            I still have to dive it to MM dealer on Wed (~25kms). Will it be OK to drive it there or should I replace oil or get it tow there.

Also why does diesel end up in oil...seems strange. I'll read more posts

Comment

• Stoneman
                              Valued Member
                              • Jul 2012
                              • Melbourne

Just rechecked oil level and it has gone up. Now 20mm above top mark. So probably now have diesel in oil
                              I still have to dive it to MM dealer on Wed (~25kms). Will it be OK to drive it there or should I replace oil or get it tow there.

Also why does diesel end up in oil...seems strange. I'll read more posts
                              The fuel is preinjected into the cylinder to be sent down the exhaust to create the inceneration, some of it ends up in the sump.

Fuel is sent down the exhaust when the cat reaches over 200 degrees and basically acts like a blow touch incinerating the particles acumalated in the dpf.

I would consider dumping the oil and replacing it or a tow truck.

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X