• Show
Clear All
  • NTX
    Valued Member
    • Apr 2010
    • Niddrie, Melbourne.

Lockup mate offroad

G'day all,

Has anybody fited Lockup Mate and used it offroad and in steep country? I am mainly interested to see how much difference it makes on steep decents. I am looking at this as an alternative to reduction gears, which are of course much more expensive.

Cheers,

Matt
    2009 NT Pajero. SWB X ARB Sahara bar. Xray HID converted Spot lights. Mickey Thompson STZ 265/60 R18. Unicorn Performance upgraded Intercooler. NP 16" rims under house, still no rubber! Rhino sports racks and Rhino aluminium basket and bag.
  • nj swb
    Resident
    • Jun 2007
    • Adelaide

Originally posted by NTX View Post
    G'day all,

Has anybody fited Lockup Mate and used it offroad and in steep country? I am mainly interested to see how much difference it makes on steep decents. I am looking at this as an alternative to reduction gears, which are of course much more expensive.

Cheers,

Matt
    I think m_and_m would agree that lockup-mate makes bugger-all difference to engine braking in the Gen 4. The big benefit offroad is managing transmission temperature on long climbs in the high country, but that only works if you're travelling fast enough to lock in second.

A modified valve body will allow you to lock in first, but Wholesale Automatics wouldn't sell me that mod because I hadn't bought their lockup kit.

Reduction gears make a huge difference to engine braking, and make it much easier to lock in 2nd gear on the steep climbs
    NT Platinum. DiD Auto with 265/70R17 ST Maxx, Lift, Lockers, Lockup Mate, Low range reduction, LRA Aux tank, bull bar, winch, lots of touring stuff. Flappy paddles. MMCS is gone!

Project: NJ SWB. 285/75R16 ST Maxx, 2" OME suspension, 2" body lift, ARB 110, 120l tank, bullbar, scratches, no major dents. Fully engineered in SA. NW DiD & auto in place - a long way to go....

Scorpro Explorer Box

Comment

• old Jack
      Regular
      • Jun 2011
      • Adelaide, South Australia.

From my extensive testing of Lockup Mate in the Challenger, not only have I found lower ATF temps on climbs but also a reduction of the ATF on descents as the ATF is circulating rather than been stagnant in the ATF cooler and the transmission. Engine braking is slightly improved in the gear that is locked up.

OJ.
      2011 PB Base White Auto, Smartbar, Cooper STMaxx LT235/85R-16,TPMS, HR TB, 3 x Bushskinz, front +40mm Dobinson , rear +50mm EHDVR Lovells, Dobinson MT struts and shockers, Peddars 5899 cone springs, Windcheater rack, GME UHF, Custom alloy drawer system inc. 30lt Engel & 2 x 30 AH LiFePo batteries + elec controls, Tailgate hi-lift/long struts, Phillips +100 LB & HB, Lightforce 20" single row driving beam LED lightbar, Scanguage II.
      MM4x4 Auto Mate, Serial No 1 .

Comment

• NTX
        Valued Member
        • Apr 2010
        • Niddrie, Melbourne.

Originally posted by old Jack View Post
        From my extensive testing of Lockup Mate in the Challenger, not only have I found lower ATF temps on climbs but also a reduction of the ATF on descents as the ATF is circulating rather than been stagnant in the ATF cooler and the transmission. Engine braking is slightly improved in the gear that is locked up.

OJ.
        G'day Jack,

That is pretty much exactly what Marshall from MM4x4 told me also. I thought in the end, I really should ask them what the go was re engine braking. Unfortunately, the my NT and all Pajeros of that series and onwards with the Aisin transmission, cannot expect much if any increase in engine breaking. Challenger on the other hand, can see a marginal improvement with the Jatco transmission. So you are spot on. Marshall suggested as did NJ SWB, that the best option is reduction gears. Sadly, thats not an option I can afford just now....or the forseeable future!
        2009 NT Pajero. SWB X ARB Sahara bar. Xray HID converted Spot lights. Mickey Thompson STZ 265/60 R18. Unicorn Performance upgraded Intercooler. NP 16" rims under house, still no rubber! Rhino sports racks and Rhino aluminium basket and bag.

Comment

• Scouter1
          Valued Member
          • Mar 2013
          • Sydney NSW

Originally posted by NTX View Post
          Marshall suggested as did NJ SWB, that the best option is reduction gears. Sadly, thats not an option I can afford just now....or the forseeable future!
          NTX, have you considered Wholesale Transmission's Nomad Valve Body upgrade https://automatictransmission.com.au/nomad-valve-body/?

The lack of natural engine braking needed during the downhill descents, especially while towing is a regular complaint with customers. We have addressed this by achieving an increase of approx. 10% natural engine braking on the majority of our re calibrated Valve Bodies.

I did this upgrade a few years ago along with TC Lock up kit https://www2.pajeroclub.com.au/forum...8&postcount=26, while I understand this doesn't provide the same level of capability as reduction gears, it has certainly made a difference on steep hills to help prevent overrun.

Cheers,
          Stephen
          2011 Silver NT GLS DiD Auto with extra bits - build thread http://www2.pajeroclub.com.au/forum/...ad.php?t=36099

Comment

• twisted32
            • Jan 2015
            • Adelaide

Originally posted by Scouter1 View Post
            NTX, have you considered Wholesale Transmission's Nomad Valve Body upgrade https://automatictransmission.com.au/nomad-valve-body/?

The lack of natural engine braking needed during the downhill descents, especially while towing is a regular complaint with customers. We have addressed this by achieving an increase of approx. 10% natural engine braking on the majority of our re calibrated Valve Bodies.

I did this upgrade a few years ago along with TC Lock up kit https://www2.pajeroclub.com.au/forum...8&postcount=26, while I understand this doesn't provide the same level of capability as reduction gears, it has certainly made a difference on steep hills to help prevent overrun.

Cheers,
            Stephen
            Having the nomad valve body and lockup kit, locking up in 1st does not give a noticeable increase in engine braking. Don't spend the $ on the valve body for that sole reason.
            Reduction gears however are awesome, almost too short...
            MY14 GLX Pajero DID auto with Lift, 265/70 R17 Yoki X-AT's, Full Bushskinz plates , Scotts Rods 3" TBE, Johnny Tig FMIC, TME ECU remap, Provent, OL Bullbar, Ironman 9500lbs winch, dual batteries, Lockup mate lite, nomad valve body, aeroflow AF72-6000 transmission cooler with 9" fan and radiator cooler bypass, 3.15 reduction gears, traction contol mod (on/off), Uniden 8080S, flappy paddles, Rhino flat rack mounted on ARB rails, 42" Stedi ST3K light bar and custom drawers

Comment

• NTX
              Valued Member
              • Apr 2010
              • Niddrie, Melbourne.

Originally posted by twisted32 View Post
              Having the nomad valve body and lockup kit, locking up in 1st does not give a noticeable increase in engine braking. Don't spend the $ on the valve body for that sole reason.
              Reduction gears however are awesome, almost too short...
              I could live with too short mate. I need to start saving I think! Struth, reading your build, you have a fully weaponised Paj there! Pretty mucch everything I would like to add to mine!

Comment

• m_and_m
                Valued Member
                • Mar 2010
                • Tea Tree Gully, Adelaide

Originally posted by nj swb View Post
                I think m_and_m would agree that lockup-mate makes bugger-all difference to engine braking in the Gen 4. The big benefit offroad is managing transmission temperature on long climbs in the high country, but that only works if you're travelling fast enough to lock in second.

A modified valve body will allow you to lock in first, but Wholesale Automatics wouldn't sell me that mod because I hadn't bought their lockup kit.

Reduction gears make a huge difference to engine braking, and make it much easier to lock in 2nd gear on the steep climbs
                Hoe much engine braking improvement you get depends on the model of car.

Gen 4 NT+, (AISIN trans) agree - bugger all difference.
                Gen 4 NS (JATCO trans) provides some braking improvement - but not tested yet in very steep conditions
                Gen 3 NP (JATCO) - provided a big difference. (based on experience my own NP)
                Challenger PB/PC (JATCO trans) - some improvement - but not tested yet in very steep conditions so awaiting customer feedback.
                2016 NX Exceed 3.2 DiD, BullBar | 2" OME lift | Safari snorkel | UHF | Towbar | Tow pro elite ECB | Full Bushskinz UBP and side steps | HID highbeam upgrade | 9" LED spots | 100Ahr Aux. Battery | HPD Oil catch can | Flappy Paddles | auto-matePRO
                2016 LC200 Sahara V8 Diesel,Lots of Mods too
                Checkout our products at MM4x4 http://www.mm4x4.com.au auto-mate and lockup-mate for Mitsubishi's and Toyota's

Comment

• old Jack
                  Regular
                  • Jun 2011
                  • Adelaide, South Australia.

On the PB/PC Challenger engine braking off road is improved but I have only been able to test it on moderate descents that were quite short in length.
                  Engine braking on the bitumen is almost as good as a manual transmission.

OJ.
                  2011 PB Base White Auto, Smartbar, Cooper STMaxx LT235/85R-16,TPMS, HR TB, 3 x Bushskinz, front +40mm Dobinson , rear +50mm EHDVR Lovells, Dobinson MT struts and shockers, Peddars 5899 cone springs, Windcheater rack, GME UHF, Custom alloy drawer system inc. 30lt Engel & 2 x 30 AH LiFePo batteries + elec controls, Tailgate hi-lift/long struts, Phillips +100 LB & HB, Lightforce 20" single row driving beam LED lightbar, Scanguage II.
                  MM4x4 Auto Mate, Serial No 1 .

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X