• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • old Jack
    Regular
    • Jun 2011
    • Adelaide, South Australia.

Flexible flywheel aka DMF

According to some Service Managers the PB is fitted with a solid flywheel but according to my genuine Service Manual the 2wd has a solid but the 4wd has a flexible flywheel, see item 7 on the attached photo.

Has anyone actually had an engine separated from the transmission yet and has looked at the flywheel to confirm either way?

cheers, old Jack.
    Attached Files
    2011 PB Base White Auto, Smartbar, Cooper STMaxx LT235/85R-16,TPMS, HR TB, 3 x Bushskinz, front +40mm Dobinson , rear +50mm EHDVR Lovells, Dobinson MT struts and shockers, Peddars 5899 cone springs, Windcheater rack, GME UHF, Custom alloy drawer system inc. 30lt Engel & 2 x 30 AH LiFePo batteries + elec controls, Tailgate hi-lift/long struts, Phillips +100 LB & HB, Lightforce 20" single row driving beam LED lightbar, Scanguage II.
    MM4x4 Auto Mate, Serial No 1 .
  • greig
    Valued Member
    • Aug 2010
    • kanwal

Strange they would bother using 2 different flywheels......I wonder if the clutch is smaller/weaker on the 2 wd ??

Comment

• old Jack
      Regular
      • Jun 2011

Service Manual lists 2 clutch plates for the 4D56 engine,
      1. for the low power engine which isn't imported into Aust, has a clamping force of 5850 Newtons.
      2. for the High Power engine which is fitted to both the 2wd & 4wd Challengers, has a clamping force of 7000 Newtons.

Why the Service Manual lists a solid flywheel for the 2wd and a DMF for the 4wd is anyones guess, I have no idea why.

cheers, old Jack.
      2011 PB Base White Auto, Smartbar, Cooper STMaxx LT235/85R-16,TPMS, HR TB, 3 x Bushskinz, front +40mm Dobinson , rear +50mm EHDVR Lovells, Dobinson MT struts and shockers, Peddars 5899 cone springs, Windcheater rack, GME UHF, Custom alloy drawer system inc. 30lt Engel & 2 x 30 AH LiFePo batteries + elec controls, Tailgate hi-lift/long struts, Phillips +100 LB & HB, Lightforce 20" single row driving beam LED lightbar, Scanguage II.

Comment

• greig
        Valued Member
        • Aug 2010
        • kanwal

Originally posted by old Jack View Post
        Service Manual lists 2 clutch plates for the 4D56 engine,
        1. for the low power engine which isn't imported into Aust, has a clamping force of 5850 Newtons.
        2. for the High Power engine which is fitted to both the 2wd & 4wd Challengers, has a clamping force of 7000 Newtons.

Why the Service Manual lists a solid flywheel for the 2wd and a DMF for the 4wd is anyones guess, I have no idea why.

cheers, old Jack.
        A mate has a manual, and when towing ( in 4th gear ) his clutch sometimes slips..
        The dealer has taken it for a drive ( without towing ) and of course , can't find anything wrong..

I run a chip....and tow the same approx weight and have had no problem....I wonder if his pressure plate has lost a bit of tension ( only done 20,000K's ) OR by mistake the factory put in the lower tension plate ?????

Comment

• 260DET
          Valued Member
          • Nov 2012
          • Brisbane

A DMF would be a dual mass flywheel I guess, a lot of modern cars use them, apparently they reduce driveline vibration, etc. Which makes some sense seeing that the fourby has more driveline bits and pieces than the rear driver.
          Richard.......MY12 silver base model auto rear driver tow truck and shopping trolley. Bilsteins, Firestone rear air bags, HR towbar, Scangauge II and aftermarket reverse camera/GPS navigation unit. SOLD

Comment

• 02-SR5
            Valued Member
            • Dec 2010
            • Toowoomba

They have a habit of going pear shape premature.

Nissan pathfinder has a habit so to the unbreakable Hilux.
            MY17 Triton GLX Plus with Mitsubishi Canopy. Keeping it light and simple. 265/70/16 Nitto's, Bilstien shocks, Kings Springs front, Formula leafs rear, ECB nudge bar, Ligjtforce 170's, twin batteries and a ARB fridge.

Comment

• 260DET
              Valued Member
              • Nov 2012
              • Brisbane

DMF replacement, for euro cars anyway, can cost a kidney at least. Unbreakable HiLux particularly the diesel fuel system, not.
              Richard.......MY12 silver base model auto rear driver tow truck and shopping trolley. Bilsteins, Firestone rear air bags, HR towbar, Scangauge II and aftermarket reverse camera/GPS navigation unit. SOLD

Comment

• old Jack
                Regular
                • Jun 2011

Just an update on this thread, copied from another thread.

I have just had a call from the guys that do "Outback Extreme" clutches, according to them the Mitsubishi Flexible Flywheel is not a conventional design DMF and is more robust and can be machined at least once and is less prone to failure than conventional DMF's. Thats good news!

There are after market HD clutches available for about $950, the factory clutch has a clamping force of 7,000N which is 714kg and the Outback Extreme has a clamping force of 950kg, that is a 33% increase! I know from experience on other 4wds that I have upgraded to HD clutches that they are great but they do put extra load on the hydraulics so a replacement master & slave cylinders and clutch line dampener are normally required soon after fitting a HD clutch.

cheers, old Jack.

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                Working...
                X