• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • messmorph
    • Nov 2013
    • Perth

Pajero 3.5L - Some advise to get running again

Hi Guys,

Have a 1998 3.5L Pajero I purchased 3 years ago. At the time it was for my partner to use but the week I purchased it caught her cheating and she became an ex partner.

It was mechanically average and had idling issues when I purchased it. A week later it was blowing smoke, stalling, surging and not idling properly. It also has issue ticking over and It then would then not start. I was then too busy to do anything with it and stored it the garage.

Now I wanna get it running again. It has new battery and only makes a click noise when trying to start. After a minor battle we tested the starter motor and it is cactus. I have ordered a new one online for $85 and then hopefully can address next issue. Rac looked at it before I put it in storage and I think he said only running on 3 cylinders and maybe spark plugs.

So what do you guys suggest as next step?

If going to do the spark plugs and leads what else would you suggest changing at same time? It looks like a big job thought?

Also anyone know any Pajero mechanical experts in Perth. Not have to be a mechanic even if a back yard expert
    2011 NT Diesel 35k Manual, EGR plate with hole, Diesel Chip
  • PajeroNL
    • Jun 2016
    • Clarem

Changing the plugs is a PITA job. Requires that you strip off the intake manifold. Plenty of YouTube videos on how to do it and google will find a manual for a Gen 2 Pajero or Montero. While you are in there you should change the rocker seals and new seals for the plugs and if you are keen pull and service the injectors.

However your problem could be other issues eg faulty cam or crank sensor, faulty ignition coil, injectors....

Perhaps start with a spark tester at the coil packs?

If it has been sitting for a long time you could have dirty fuel, corrosion in the fuel tank, oils should be changed, brake rotors are probably rusted, tyres with flat spots...

Could become a money pit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

• PajeroNL
      • Jun 2016
      • Clarem

And get on the Pajero Club WA Facebook group. A couple mechanics on there...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

• stumagoo
        Valued Member
        • Jun 2014
        • Perth WA S.O.R

Where I. Perth are you. there are a few guys in the WA club that may be close that can help. failing that there are 2 mechanic's we use Rudi and drago both ate nor but both are really good guys.
        1994 NJ 3.0 now with a 2000NL 3.5 engine and driveline, 2.5 catback, 32" MT Deegan 38's, 1" body lift, front diff drop with front tension rods indexed and cranked an 3", 3" on the rear coils
        *** retired to the big wrecking yard in the sky***
        1998 NL 3.5 blisterside, running a 6g75 (3.8) with M90 supercharger at 14psi, 305.70.16's on -44 rims 3.5" suspension lift, Custom Bull bar, winch install, custom front control arms, NJ GLS flares and some camping gear in the back

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
        Working...
        X