• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • 1533rl
    • Jun 2007
    • armadale wa

New rear drawers with camp kitchen

Looking ahead to some of the trips that I will go on next year with the Mitsi Club there are a number of really good ones where we will not be taking camper trailers, so inspired by Al Smith ( https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2h-AW0p2Yz8 ), and not being able to work with stainless steel (or any other steel really) I have knocked up a new in-car camp kitchen, in plywood, which will suit my minimalistic catering talents.
    Pic 1 : This is the drawer system I had previously. Drawers about 250mm deep, 700mm long with a fridge slide top on the LH drawer. On the right side, I had a complete lift out folding camp kitchen which was set up outside of the car. Now redundant.
    Pic 2: New drawer system, only about 120mm high and a complete solid top. With lower drawer height I was able to extend the length to 820mm , the previous drawers had to be limited to 700mm due to the top edge of the drawer contacting the sloping cargo barrier in a higher spot. Also made me reassess what tools and gear I actually need to carry. Check the height difference by the exposure of the plastic panels on the RHS.
    Pic 3: Basic construct of the new drawers. Note – no metal slides. I have used HDPE plastic, 40mm x 5mm x 820mm as a slide. Cost was about $16 per drawer as the plastic is cut to size. Even with the drawers fully packed with tools etc it is a very easy smooth slide out. I have retained a hole in each drawer base which still gives me access to the 3rd seat well. Just pull out the whole drawer and reach into the space. There is nothing in there that is larger than the height of the drawer space.
    Pic 4 : this is the new set up when I am ready to go away (without the camper trailer). I have “cheated” and bought a Kings fridge slide. I made a slight error in getting the fridge slide dimensions from the website and then taking a month to finish up the kitchen box before buying the fridge slide. Kings had changed the specs on the slide and I never thought to recheck !!! So I had 80mm less on the RHS to store my chair and it no longer fits there. I also benefit from the reduction of fridge height so I can know see the bottom without a step ladder ! Both the fridge slide and the kitchen are completely removable and take about 15 mins to remove and insert. I have to put the kitchen box in without any drawers for a couple of reasons – one, I bolt the box down under the bottom drawer through the base and - two, it becomes too heavy to handle (age related) fully loaded. The top of the drawer system is 18mm plywood and I have used 20mm threaded inserts in position for bolts on the fridge slide and also on the kitchen base.
    Pic 5 : Kitchen in service ! Bottom drawer is 225mm high, this is the “cooking” section with single butane cooker, prep surface, utensil drawer and kettle, pots, plates, bowls storage. Middle drawer is 170mm high and is the pantry, for canned stuff, non-fridge food, fruit, towels, folding sink etc. Top drawer is 115mm high, and will carry anything else, such as washing up gear, 12v shower, dunny rolls, mozzie coils, raincoat, lights. Total height is 640mm.

I already had two 700mm drawer slides from the previous drawer system and another one from a fridge mod on the camper trailer so only had to pay out for ply and paint.
    I also have another box system which replaces the second row seats and this is where I carry water, campfire cooking gear, solar blanket, clothes, bunker tent and a bit of other gear – inside the car.
    Cheers
    Peter
    Attached Files
  • DAVIDHHH
    • Jan 2019
    • Ulladulla

Hey mate,

I've had the issue with the Kings Fridge slide. They sent me out a slide that was wider than the dimensions listed on the website. I think the website said it was 47cm wide and it came out being 54cm. Also messed up my drawer build. Was that your experience?

Thanks,
    2016 NX GLX5, Tough Dog 40mm lift, Snorkel, ARB Bar, oricom UHF, Cargo Barrier, OCAM Flat Rack, Boo's plates, Dual Battery in rear well etc

Previous: 2002 PA Challenger

Comment

• DAVIDHHH
      • Jan 2019
      • Ulladulla

Looks like they have updated their website now for the new dimensions. It was definitely different when i ordered mine as it went back under warranty!
      2016 NX GLX5, Tough Dog 40mm lift, Snorkel, ARB Bar, oricom UHF, Cargo Barrier, OCAM Flat Rack, Boo's plates, Dual Battery in rear well etc

Previous: 2002 PA Challenger

Comment

• Ian H
        Valued Member
        • May 2015
        • Melbourne

Nice job on the drawers, very impressive.
        2015 NX GLS, Factory alloy bar, Kings HD Springs & Koni Shocks with 50mm lift, MM Auto Mate, Paddle shift kit, dual batteries with Redarc DC/DC, LRA 58L tank, Safari snorkel, Boo's bash plates (full set), 17" steels with BFG KO2's, Drifta drawers with slide, TPMS, Uniden UH8080S, Alpine iLX-702D head unit.

Comment

• 1533rl
          • Jun 2007
          • armadale wa

New rear drawers & camp kitchen

Originally posted by DAVIDHHH View Post
          Hey mate,

I've had the issue with the Kings Fridge slide. They sent me out a slide that was wider than the dimensions listed on the website. I think the website said it was 47cm wide and it came out being 54cm. Also messed up my drawer build. Was that your experience?

Thanks,

Hi David, the original measurements off the website said 445mm wide and that is what I worked on, when I brought the fridge slide home it seemed to be wider so I checked the actual width and it was 525mm and I then checked the website and the new specs were already there. Had I sussed the change beforehand I would have made my own slide at 425mm to fit my fridge or even made the kitchen a bit narrower. Either way it was my fault not Kings.
          Maybe I should see if anyone has a previous model slide that is too narrow for their fridge due to the change !!!!
          Cheers
          Peter

Comment

• spot01
            Valued Member
            • Apr 2011
            • Adelaide

Originally posted by 1533rl View Post
            .......I have used HDPE plastic, 40mm x 5mm x 820mm as a slide. Cost was about $16 per drawer as the plastic is cut to size. ............
            Looks good - where did you get the plastic from?
            Pajero NX MY21 GLS

Comment

• sharkcaver
              "2000"+ Valued Contributor
              • May 2009
              • Perth

Looks great......top work.

Now, take some of trevs tips on the magnetic stickers for scratch protection

Is the club at the show this year....I might drop in??.....seeing I have to be on the fourbie forum stage at 1130 sat/sun
              MY16 NX GLX5 with just a few bits added. MY14 D-max spacecab, also with a few bits added.

My Journeys

Comment

• 1533rl
                • Jun 2007
                • armadale wa

New drawers and camp kitchen

Originally posted by spot01 View Post
                Looks good - where did you get the plastic from?
                Plastic slides (or just pieces to them) were from a mob called Armstrong Energy in Carlisle WA.
                I initially approached a company that manufactured plastic parts but they only sell very large sheets in bulk, but they sell their offcuts to AE who do smaller jobs. AE are part of an international co. so they might have offices in the east too.
                Cheers
                Peter

Comment

• 1533rl
                  • Jun 2007
                  • armadale wa

Originally posted by sharkcaver View Post
                  Looks great......top work.

Now, take some of trevs tips on the magnetic stickers for scratch protection

Is the club at the show this year....I might drop in??.....seeing I have to be on the fourbie forum stage at 1130 sat/sun
                  I'll have to search for the reference to magnetic stickers !
                  Yes, the Mitsi Club will be at the show, I will probably miss your debut as I go on Friday along with all the other retirees 'cos we can !!!

Cheers
                  Peter

Comment

• sharkcaver
                    "2000"+ Valued Contributor
                    • May 2009
                    • Perth

I'll have to search for the reference to magnetic stickers !
                    Yes, the Mitsi Club will be at the show, I will probably miss your debut as I go on Friday along with all the other retirees 'cos we can !!!

Cheers
                    Peter
                    Oh no.....website revamp, Trev's tips are now gone

But all is not lost:

Might drop by and say g'day toi the others - not Friday though.

Missing my debut - you are a lucky man

have a great time at the show.
                    Last edited by sharkcaver; 06-11-19, 02:17 PM.
                    MY16 NX GLX5 with just a few bits added. MY14 D-max spacecab, also with a few bits added.

My Journeys

Comment

• paceman
                      Valued Member
                      • Feb 2018
                      • Mackay

looks awesome...

can i ask what the top, draws and draw frame are made of? assuming ply of some kind?

and the top covered in carpet?
                      Paceman's NT Pajero

Comment

• 1533rl
                        • Jun 2007
                        • armadale wa

Originally posted by paceman View Post
                        looks awesome...

can i ask what the top, draws and draw frame are made of? assuming ply of some kind?

and the top covered in carpet?
                        Hi Paceman, it is all construction plywood, various thicknesses as I used some new stuff and older left overs. I usually buy 2400 x 1200mm sheets and cut it up myself, it is cheaper than getting smaller sheets.

Top of the lower drawer section (in the car) is carpeted, just a piece of Bunnings carpet.

Cheers
                        Peter

Comment

• paceman
                          Valued Member
                          • Feb 2018
                          • Mackay

Hi Paceman, it is all construction plywood, various thicknesses as I used some new stuff and older left overs. I usually buy 2400 x 1200mm sheets and cut it up myself, it is cheaper than getting smaller sheets.

Top of the lower drawer section (in the car) is carpeted, just a piece of Bunnings carpet.

Cheers
                          Peter
                          thanks, mate...

a couple of more questions, if that's ok...

how have you attached the carcass uprights to the base and top horizontal pieces? glued and screwed?

how does the whole thing attach to the cargo area floor?

also, there looks to be a thin carpeted piece that might impede the drawers coming out?
                          Paceman's NT Pajero

Comment

• 1533rl
                            • Jun 2007
                            • armadale wa

Originally posted by paceman View Post
                            thanks, mate...

a couple of more questions, if that's ok...

how have you attached the carcass uprights to the base and top horizontal pieces? glued and screwed? Just screwed, easier to take down and rebuild.

how does the whole thing attach to the cargo area floor?
                            Pic 1, 2 & 3 - bolts into existing child restraint and seat belt points on each side

also, there looks to be a thin carpeted piece that might impede the drawers coming out?If you refer to the small piece of carpet at the front on the very bottom, that is part of the base piece and at the front it is curved to match the actual 3rd row seat space. That carpet is approx 2mm thick, the plastic runners are 5mm high and they are what the drawer base slides on. i.e. the drawer base is 3mm higher than the piece of carpet, if that make sense.
                            Cheers
                            Peter
                            Attached Files

Comment

• 1533rl
                              • Jun 2007
                              • armadale wa

Used the new pull out kitchen for the first time on a trip a couple of weeks ago, made my trip heaps easier catering wise. Only problem was making coffee in the rain , I struggled to hold the umbrella in place ! .

A mate on the trip rolled out his new kings rear awning just to wind me up, and it did. So I went shopping when I got back and bought a rear awning. I bought the Anaconda rear awning as I thought it had a smaller profile than the kings awning, not knocking the kings product. Both awnings were the same price anyway.

To fit the awning at a convenient height across the back of the alloy roof tray I moved the side awning forward so one does not get in the way of the other.

So, lesson learned - if you are going to work out the back of the car you need a rear awning too.

Cheers
                              Peter
                              Attached Files

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X