• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • BBP
    • Oct 2007
    • Canberra

Warranty on ex police pajero

Hi Guys,
    quick question for anyone that has bought an ex-police Paj.
    I am looking at a 2016 NX GLX ~92K kilometres for around $35k. Quite clean and does look like it has had a hard life. Drove ok when I took it for spin. It came from a NSW cop shop in Minto. I am tempted by the car even though it does not feel like much of a step up from my NP exceed.

Anyway the log books are empty which I was told is common with the ex-pol cars as the books go into storage. The stealer assures me that they have a printout of all the services that were done. But my question is would MMA honour the remaining warranty on the vehicle or would it even have warranty being ex-pol?. I have yet to ask a Mits dealer and thought I would ask the brains trust first.

Rob
  • Dalma01
    • Jun 2013
    • Sydney

I have an Ex Police one too. The services are carried out by the local Ultratune. There dealer should have a number you can quote to Ultratune for the record of services. Apparently you can find it by rego due to police safety

Mine had a bent bash plate and the seat upholstery was ripped a liitle on one seat from the gun rubbing lol. Keep an eye out for the electrics. They just usually rip them out...Literally

Saying that. It has been faultless. Only ever had normal servicing.

Don't worry about all the rattles. Every Pajero does! So don't stress.

Comment

• BBP
      • Oct 2007
      • Canberra

Thanks for that. I haven't checked under the bonnet yet. What I did find interesting was where the radio or whatever gear they fit and it rubs on the centre console by the shifter. Someone has patched the rub mark with paint. Pretty good job as apart from some indentations its colour matched pretty well. Also the tell tale holes by the diff lock switch are not there or they replaced the panel. Which is something I have never seen done on any ex-pol ones I have looked at. In fact the car yard has two ex-pol cars and one has the holes and is much scruffier than this one although Kms are about the same and it is a year older (2015).
      I might go back and see what the NP is worth as a trade. Its a Toyota dealership so don't expect much, but you never know it is the end of the month.

Did yours come sans 3rd row seats and belts?. Does not boter me but I was thinking of future trade in.

Comment

• spot01
        Valued Member
        • Apr 2011
        • Adelaide

I have looked in the warranty section of my MY16 service book and I can't see any mention of the warranty being different for police use. The main warranty ends at 100k, but the perforation corrosion warranty is 5 years (kms not mentioned).

Correct servicing is off course mentioned, so be sure to sight the service printout & check it against the items listed in the book, noting any fluids, filters, etc. must be the correct spec.

Also worth remembering is warranty only covers manufacturing defects, not wear & tear or anything that has been inflicted on the vehicle. Obviously this last point may come into play more with an ex cop car.

On the flip side, police cars are usually serviced more frequently, so it may have had the extra services shown in the book for arduous use. Having done so many kms in a short time, they may be mostly long runs without getting too many cold starts, which is the best way to use a car. Also unlikely to have towed much, if any.

Be aware some police GLX cars are actually the fleet only basic GLX5 (5 seats, 17" alloys & perhaps less equipment - does it have the rear air cond?) than the retail GLX 7 seaters.

$35k + on roads + any tyres/servicing + anything that needs doing =$???? v's brand new for around $45 drive away...........sounds a bit pricey to me? You mention resale - depending on how far down the track, you may well get the extra $8k or so back when you sell?
        Last edited by spot01; 27-02-18, 07:53 AM.
        Pajero NX MY21 GLS

Comment

• Dalma01
          • Jun 2013
          • Sydney

Originally posted by BBP View Post
          Thanks for that. I haven't checked under the bonnet yet. What I did find interesting was where the radio or whatever gear they fit and it rubs on the centre console by the shifter. Someone has patched the rub mark with paint. Pretty good job as apart from some indentations its colour matched pretty well. Also the tell tale holes by the diff lock switch are not there or they replaced the panel. Which is something I have never seen done on any ex-pol ones I have looked at. In fact the car yard has two ex-pol cars and one has the holes and is much scruffier than this one although Kms are about the same and it is a year older (2015).
          I might go back and see what the NP is worth as a trade. Its a Toyota dealership so don't expect much, but you never know it is the end of the month.

Did yours come sans 3rd row seats and belts?. Does not boter me but I was thinking of future trade in.
          Mine didn't as it was a GL. Most of the ex police Pajero's are GL. They only come with 5 seats.
          All other models come with 7 seats.

Comment

• BBP
            • Oct 2007
            • Canberra

Originally posted by spot01 View Post
            Be aware some police GLX cars are actually the fleet only basic GLX5 (5 seats, 17" alloys & perhaps less equipment - does it have the rear air cond?) than the retail GLX 7 seaters.

$35k + on roads + any tyres/servicing + anything that needs doing =$???? v's brand new for around $45 drive away...........sounds a bit pricey to me? You mention resale - depending on how far down the track, you may well get the extra $8k or so back when you sell?
            This is it, tidier than other ex-pol I have seen.

Hmm, good point. I did not know there was a fleet version. It defintely only has 5 seats and the belts are not there either. I forgot to check the compliance plate to see what the seating was. I am not concerned about 17" in fact I think I would prefer them as that is what the NP has and I have a spare set of steel wheels in 17". But then the steelies may fit anyway. The tyres look fairly new but are only HT's so will need changing same as a new car.

It has dropped by 1k since I drove it last week and they have emailed, texted and rang me since then so maybe I could get it cheaper or get a better trade as I don't know if I have the time to go through a private sale for the NP.
            Going to a new one may be a stretch. Although I was thinking of a new Triton so wouldn't be far off that. Plus I could swap all the Bushskinz stuff over so I would only need a front bar, towbar, tyres and some new driving lights. Other stuff like suspension could wait I guess.

Comment

• Seighcret
              • Jan 2015
              • Wanaaring

Ex nswp pajeros vary widely.

The general duty ones (always white) are generally driven pretty hard and more likely the ones with scuff marks etc due to the amount of equipment carried. Another thing general duty cars have is a tiny little notch ground out at the rear portion of the top of one of the front doors which allows clearance for the wiring to the light bar in the roof. General duties pajeros are loaded quite heavily with a steel cage in the back amongst other things with no upgrade to suspension. Loaded up they handle quite differently to normal.

The ones with winches, roofs racks and steel bars are generally country vehicles. Lucky ones got ARB bars while others get cheap OL bars or TJM bars. Some country ones even have extra fuel tanks.

They are serviced at 10k intervals - not necessarily always by ultratune depending on where they were located in the state.

Minto is nswp fleet headquarters. Therefore the car in question can be from anywhere in the state.

Some Pajeros would be a good buy depending on who had them previously. Crime scene vehicles or ancillary staff like firearms registry etc are never driven hard. The odd country gds car from small stations driven by someone who had mostly tarred
              Roads and a good attitude would be worth buying.

If your looking for an extended warranty etc there can be issues when buying ex police cars.

A few years ago nsw police stopped getting gl pajeros and gds started getting glxs . Just depends what they would get deals on and what was available.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

• Mike DiD
                Valued Member
                • Jun 2007

It won't happen every time, but when they are responding, they will start the engine and put their foot flat to the floor.

There is no way I will treat a Diesel engine that way.

I sold my NS with 130k on it after 8 years with the same power and fuel economy as when just run-in - by never putting it under full load until fully warmed up.
                Mike R. Sydney. Pajero GLS NX Silver Jan15. DiD Auto. STILL grossly disappointed with the errors in Speed Limits on major roads in my TomTom.

Comment

• spot01
                  Valued Member
                  • Apr 2011
                  • Adelaide

Originally posted by Seighcret View Post

..................A few years ago nsw police stopped getting gl pajeros and gds started getting glxs . Just depends what they would get deals on and what was available.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                  Thats because the GL was discontinued (from NX, I think) & the NX GLX5 is it's fleet replacement (on factory order only, so not shown on the MMAL website) - it gained the 17" alloys (which BTW, I agree are a bonus compared to the 18").

The service records may give you an idea of where it was based. If a small country station, ring & try to have a chat with the driver re it's history, any issues, prangs, etc.
                  Last edited by spot01; 27-02-18, 12:10 PM.
                  Pajero NX MY21 GLS

Comment

• RoyHarvey
                    • Mar 2008
                    • Adelaide

New or used?

Just had a quick look on Carsales and a new GLX can be bought for about $45k drive away, about $8k more, might be worth considering.
                    2016 NX Pajero GLX
                    Prev....2002 NM petrol passed on to SIL

Comment

• gaz1
                      Valued Member
                      • Jun 2007
                      • Blue Mountains NSW

My ex-Police Pajero is a MY11 VRX, graphite colour, bought it in July last year I think there may have been a prior civilian owner before me. The service printout for the Police period came with it, but nothing for about a year after that until I bought it. Had 110,400km on the odo.
                      There is some evidence of removal of electrical gear under the centre console, and holes at each corner of the rear floor that probably mean some sort of barrier/cage had been in there. Third row seat are still there. But the interior is in really good condition with just a few minor scratches. 4 new Yokohama ATs and basically a very neat car, it had been through an extreme detailing, I couldn't find a speck of dust anywhere. But when I pulled the console out I did reveal evidence of someone who did a lot of eating in the car!
                      It's much nicer to drive than my previous NM that I had since new. I'm still coming to grips with some of the auto things on it.
                      2010 MY 2011 VR-X V6. Stock standard.

Previously 02 NM auto V6 Exceed silver. Extra transmission cooler & transmission temp gauge, activated rear lights, Impco sequential LPG system, Redback (Wildcat) Headers, heavy duty radiator. Lovells shocks F & R, Polyair bags in rear.

My original Pajero experience - '90 NG Superwagon, 3.0 V6 manual bought new and kept until 1998. Great vehicle, no problems apart from the noisy valve lifters typical of that engine.

Comment

• insect_eater
                        Valued Member
                        • Mar 2015
                        • Canberra

As others have mentioned the fleet NX was designated GLX5, it loses the third row, rear aircon and a few trim trinkets, but gains 17' alloys. It listed at around $7K less than a normal GLX. You could order them, and a few dealers stocked them, but most went to government. I looked at buying new one in 2015 for $44K compared to $51 for a GLX. Last year I bought a MY15 GLX with 8Kkm for $37.5K so there can be good buys around.

Note that I understand that you cannot legally fit a third row of seats unless re-complied.
                        Last edited by insect_eater; 27-02-18, 04:49 PM.
                        NX GLX manual, T13, XD9000, Koni RAID, Ultragauge, ISI carrier, pioneer platform, Lithium auxillary

Comment

• dhula
                          Valued Member
                          • Sep 2012
                          • South of Perth

The add says the Paj is a GLX and 7 seats, the car looks like it's a GLX5 (17's and no rear seat belts)
                          Just be sure you are not paying a GLX price for a GLX5

Redbook says a 2016 GLX with about 25k kms on the clock is worth what they are asking. Only a guide I know but a guide none the less.
                          A GLX5 with almost 4 times the kms, a few bangs and dents IMO is worth somewhere south of $26k even with the couple of extras it has.

Interesting that in one pic is has a front # plate but is listed as unreg, more $$
                          2010 NT Activ, DiD+lazy shift. Bushskins+Boo's, Kings springs+Monroe shocks+Firestone Airbags, MM towbar, MM nudgebar.
                          2006 KJ Cherokee, CRD+lazy shift. Ironman springs and OME shocks, MoPar skids.

Comment

• Boo Boo
                            • Aug 2012
                            • Kilsyth

I have an ex police car which is an NS, it has seven seats, rear aircon and came with a winch and a Smart bar.
                            I have never had any issues with warranty.
                            I have now done about 70 thousand k's with no major repairs needed.
                            2008 NS DID, Smart bar and warn winch, Boos Bash plates, ex nsw police car, Safair snorkel and 2 inch OME lift.

Comment

• Nab
                              Valued Member
                              • Mar 2012
                              • Perth

FYI your NP will be worth nothing as a trade-in. I was offered $5k trade-in for my NP (excellent/almost immaculate condition, heaps of accessories with 190,000km). Sold it private for over $14k.
                              SOLD 2004 NP 3.2 auto
                              NOW 2014 Ranger XLT auto

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X