• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • cooperplace
    Valued Member
    • Oct 2010
    • adelaide

4WD spots near Adelaide?

just got a NS DiD, looking for places suitable for day/weekend driving near Adelaide. The list so far includes:

Deep Creek/Blowhole beach
    Saunders gorge
    Willow Springs/skytrek
    Bendelby Ranges

any others?

all suggestions much appreciated

Peter
  • Aussie_Dan
    Valued Member
    • Jan 2010
    • Cairns

Gday Peter.
    The murray mouth is a good little day trip and can be good fishing too if you strike it lucky with the tides. You can take your dogs down there and camp there for free if you wish.
    I have never had a problem on Goolwa beach, and I have been down there something like 20 times in the last few years. I have helped recover a few cars in the past, but if you let your tyres down a bit and be sensible, this beach is nothing to be concerned about.
    Loveday 4x4 Adventure Park (just out of Barmera) is a good place to go. Entry fee i approx $70 per car load (incliding the 1st night) and another $10 per night to camp. They have some beautiful, secluded riverfront campsites and you can also take your dogs here too (call and ask beforehand though...). Plenty of fun to be had in this place. Lots of mud if it has been raining!
    Morgan Quarry probably has a day worth of fun in it also and is in reach for a day trip.
    Other then that, the South East offers the most fun this state has to offer in a 4WD within a 4 hour radius. Canunda, Littel Dip & Beachport. I love that part of our state..... Can't wait to get down there again now that I have my Paj.
    Hope this gives you a few ideas!
    Cheers, Dan.
    2004 NP DiD GLX, 5 spd Manual with SMF, ARB Bullbar, Ironman 12000lb winch, Lightforce Genesis lights, Airtec Snorkel, 81L LRA tank, Unifilter, GME 3500 UHF, Redarc elec brake controller, ARB dual Batt tray with 60AH Deep cycle Batt & Redarc Isolator, Bushskinz Sliders, intercooler and sump guards, Lovells raised HD springs, Polyairs & Bilstein shocks, Milford Cargo Barrier, Philips +100 globes, 2nd set of rims with 245/75x16 Bighorns, Waeco 60L Fridge & a Cavalier camper trailer!

Comment

• cooperplace
      Valued Member
      • Oct 2010
      • adelaide

Originally posted by Aussie_Dan View Post
      Gday Peter.
      The murray mouth is a good little day trip and can be good fishing too if you strike it lucky with the tides. You can take your dogs down there and camp there for free if you wish.
      I have never had a problem on Goolwa beach, and I have been down there something like 20 times in the last few years. I have helped recover a few cars in the past, but if you let your tyres down a bit and be sensible, this beach is nothing to be concerned about.
      Loveday 4x4 Adventure Park (just out of Barmera) is a good place to go. Entry fee i approx $70 per car load (incliding the 1st night) and another $10 per night to camp. They have some beautiful, secluded riverfront campsites and you can also take your dogs here too (call and ask beforehand though...). Plenty of fun to be had in this place. Lots of mud if it has been raining!
      Morgan Quarry probably has a day worth of fun in it also and is in reach for a day trip.
      Other then that, the South East offers the most fun this state has to offer in a 4WD within a 4 hour radius. Canunda, Littel Dip & Beachport. I love that part of our state..... Can't wait to get down there again now that I have my Paj.
      Hope this gives you a few ideas!
      Cheers, Dan.

Hi Dan,

Thank you, looking forward to it!

Peter

Comment

• Cambridge Clarrie
        • Feb 2009

If you're after a short day trip and some scenic views, check out Saunders Gorge which is up near Mt Pleasant. Whilst certainly not a high degree of difficulty there's a few good climbs and decents. From memory it was about $40.00 and would take about 2 hours.

Comment

• Faereag
          Valued Member
          • Nov 2009
          • Aberfoyle Park, SA

SA Tracks

Cooper

If you are considering Willow Springs also look at the Wilpena Pound tracks - some lovely drives via the creek beds and up there and also around Hawker in general. We did one of the "easy" rated tracks in Willow Springs six years back - took 6 hours in a 2004 challenger . It will give your machine a pretty good workout - mind you the sharp shale type rocks in the hilly parts are rough on tyres.

Deep Creek Conservation Park is a must and there is some great accommodation in the park.
          Regards

Rory

2010 NT DID Auto Platinum. ARB Bar; 12000lb winch; Light-force 240 spotlights; Bushskinz plates; dual battery with upgraded wiring; Diff breathers; ECU re-tune; 3" exhaust Toyo AT11's; Ultra-gauge and OBD11 dongle; Garmin 52LM; Icom UHF; Craig Davies transmission cooler with fan; raised EHD Lovells coils; Mann & Hummel Catch Can; Bilstein B6's; Firestone airbags; Tekonsha P3 controller; towball capacity 300KG; GVM 3110KG. Sunland Patriot SE van with a few other mods.

Comment

• geopaj
            Valued Member
            • Jul 2007
            • Adelaide

Bushies @ Tintinara (about $25-$30 for a weekend inc. camping/4wding)
            Robe - Beachport - Carpenter Rocks (free)
            Coorong (free)
            Ngarkat Conservation Park (inc The Boarder Track) (couple of bucks National Park entry fee)
            There are also lots of tracks in & around the Flinders (various fees)
            Silver NT VRX Di-D

ARB bullbar | snorkel | Bushskinz & Boo’s guards | UltraGauge MX | 2" lift | Cooper AT3 LT's | dual battery | Superwinch X9 | 80ltr diesel tank | 22ltr water tank | aux trans cooler | MM Lockup Mate | GME UHF | locker/TC mod | SPV EGR | rear LED work light | rhino platform | ARB awning | rear drawers ... & plenty of scratches

My Build Thread - HERE

Previously - NL Pajero (now owned by Forum member 'Gemster')

Comment

• kookaburra
              • Oct 2009
              • Port Pirie, S.A.

There are some spectacular spots in my neck of the woods - Southern Flinders Ranges and only just over 200km from Adelaide.

Easy and hardly 4WD, but spectacular views are Wirrabara Forest, the Bridle Track off of Survey Road at Melrose and Hancocks Lookout in Horrocks Pass.

Some challenges include:
              Bartagunya, off of Survey Road at Melrose - cost $25
              Mt Horrocks north of Willmington - contact the property owners David and Heidi Freeman (08) 8667 5057 for bookings and cost.

The following link may be useful too, particularly if you are planning to head further north or west: http://www.flindersranges.com.au/wp-..._repeaters.pdf

Cheers
              Kim
              Last edited by kookaburra; 27-11-10, 10:11 PM.
              NS GLX DID Auto. Bridgestone D694 A/T's, BushSkinz Bash Plates, Spider Performance Unit, ChipIT Race Pipe, Dual Batteries / OL Police Spec Tray / Projecta 150 Amp controller, Mits Steel Bull bar, Mits (Milford) Cargo Barrier, Rhino-Rack Pioneer Platform/Rails, Mits Towing Pack / Tekonsha Prodigy Brake controller, GME TX3340 UHF, Driving Lights, Long Range tank, Spare Wheel Lift kit, Polyair Springs, ORS Drawer Set and Fridge Slide, Kipoint Internal TPMS, NT manifold

Comment

• Pete & Mon's NS
                Valued Member
                • May 2008
                • West Lakes - Adelaide, SA

I think the comments made above just about cover it.

If you are into lazy Sunday drives, then Google Maps is your friend! Lots of dirt tracks with stunning scenery dotted throughout the Adelaide Hills

Peter
                | Gunmetal NS Exceed DiD with Dakar leather | Factory rear Diff Lock | Alloy Nudge Bar | MMCS | Moonroof | GME TX3440 | Custom rear Storage | Stebel Compact Air Horn |
                | Ford Focus XR5 Turbo in Electric Orange |

Comment

• rotare
                  Valued Member
                  • Nov 2007

Scrap Blow hole beach for a place to 4wd. It's a beautiful place to visit but it's easily done in a front wheel drive passenger vehicle!
                  2013 NW VRX

Comment

• MickSA
                    • Jun 2009
                    • Southern Suburbs of Adelaide S.A

I agree with the above, the local council has ruined that drive by grading it, still best place to be on a hot day, swimming.
                    Cheers Mick 2012 NW GLX MANUAL

Comment

• BigBloke65
                      • Aug 2010
                      • SA

Originally posted by geopaj View Post
                      Ngarkat Conservation Park (inc The Boarder Track) (couple of bucks National Park entry fee)
                      One of my favorites! And if you just visit for the day, it's free of charge (you only pay if staying the night). The Adelaide-Keith-Lameroo-Adelaide circuit can be easily done in a day through the park.
                      PB Challenger LS Auto 5 seat (White) / Bridgestone D694 AT's / Window Tint / Hayman Reece Towbar / Prodigy brake controller / Factory cargo barrier / DIY False floor / ARB Deluxe Bar / Rear view camera / UHF radio / roof mounted DVD 11 inch screen / Bushskinz protection plates complete set / Extra set of wheels Dueller H/T / OME front springs 0-50kg / OME back springs 0-50kg

Comment

• Aussie_Dan
                        Valued Member
                        • Jan 2010
                        • Cairns

Originally posted by BigBloke65 View Post
                        One of my favorites! And if you just visit for the day, it's free of charge (you only pay if staying the night). The Adelaide-Keith-Lameroo-Adelaide circuit can be easily done in a day through the park.
                        But even better, if you camp on the victorian side of the border, it is free!
                        2004 NP DiD GLX, 5 spd Manual with SMF, ARB Bullbar, Ironman 12000lb winch, Lightforce Genesis lights, Airtec Snorkel, 81L LRA tank, Unifilter, GME 3500 UHF, Redarc elec brake controller, ARB dual Batt tray with 60AH Deep cycle Batt & Redarc Isolator, Bushskinz Sliders, intercooler and sump guards, Lovells raised HD springs, Polyairs & Bilstein shocks, Milford Cargo Barrier, Philips +100 globes, 2nd set of rims with 245/75x16 Bighorns, Waeco 60L Fridge & a Cavalier camper trailer!

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                        Working...
                        X