• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Ratbago
    • Sep 2019
    • Melbourne

Ball joint and tie rod end boots

Hi guys got a few questions regarding front suspension and steering on my NB PAJ.

All my ball joints and tie rods rubber boots have turned to a sort of chewing gum. The joints themselves are fine and have been greased regularly. So ideally id like to just somehow replace the boots. As im up for a roadworthy and don't want to spend a small fortune on all the joints , Does anyone know of any thing i could use or maybe there is a car with the same joints that i could use the boots off?

If any gen 1 owners have photos of the ball joint boots that would be great too cheers

Thanks for any help
  • Drewan
    • Apr 2017
    • Adelaide

Just get new tie rod ends there not expensive
    Over capitalized NK.I'm running out of things to add to it it died , now a SWB NJ with all the good stuff from the NK on it .

Comment

• Ryan175
      • Mar 2019
      • BRIGHTON EAST

I think I heard somewhere that repco have universal ball joint boots that should fit, maybe give that a shot?
      1986 LWB 2.6, 31" AT BFGs, winch, UHF, 52" light bar and spotties, rear light bar, roof rack, awning, 2 jerry cans just to get anywhere

Comment

• Ratbago
        • Sep 2019
        • Melbourne

So it turns out that spending the money on new ones was probably a good idea , the boots i bought from supercheap that were supposed to fit the car dont , as none of the stock joints have grooves for the boots to seat into . Ended up just buying all new tie rod ends and ball joints . Live and learn i guess.

Comment

• Ryan175
          • Mar 2019
          • BRIGHTON EAST

how do the boots actually seal in to the ball joint on these ones then? also where did you buy the tie rod ends from?
          1986 LWB 2.6, 31" AT BFGs, winch, UHF, 52" light bar and spotties, rear light bar, roof rack, awning, 2 jerry cans just to get anywhere

Comment

• Ratbago
            • Sep 2019
            • Melbourne

The boots are set into a ring that you hammer onto the the joint , hard to explain but there is no groove for the more traditional ones to seat into , got the tie rod ends from repco on sale , they are of lower quality then the stock ones though which pisses me off "global" brand , 2 year warranty though so should be ok . Getting closer to finally getting the car on the road .

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
            Working...
            X