• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Robin
    • Nov 2010
    • monbulk. vic

Tent pegs

Good idea?
    47K views, 613 likes, 12 loves, 188 comments, 62 shares, Facebook Watch Videos from Patriot Campers: Never trip over a guy rope again 😂 https://www.patriotsupply.com.au/patriot-campers-peg-kit
    Robin.
    Mods. After market cup holders. 4 After market weather shields from ebay that look and work great. No more messy hair NG 1989 V6 3Ltr. Super Wagon. Electric sun roof, cruise control, ashtrays and great seats and new motor.
    To find yourself, think for yourself © Socrates 469 BC
  • old Jack
    Regular
    • Jun 2011
    • Adelaide, South Australia.

Google "screw tent pegs" big selection, range of quality and price.

I do not believe a single design peg can perform in sand, wet ground, hard ground and rock. More than happy to look at all alternatives.

I am fortunate to have a set of spring steel pegs with forged and hardened tips. They cost me $2 each about 25 years ago from Industrial Springs in Adelaide, unfortunately the company is no longer in business and I have never seen these pegs anywhere else.

OJ.
    2011 PB Base White Auto, Smartbar, Cooper STMaxx LT235/85R-16,TPMS, HR TB, 3 x Bushskinz, front +40mm Dobinson , rear +50mm EHDVR Lovells, Dobinson MT struts and shockers, Peddars 5899 cone springs, Windcheater rack, GME UHF, Custom alloy drawer system inc. 30lt Engel & 2 x 30 AH LiFePo batteries + elec controls, Tailgate hi-lift/long struts, Phillips +100 LB & HB, Lightforce 20" single row driving beam LED lightbar, Scanguage II.
    MM4x4 Auto Mate, Serial No 1 .

Comment

• Ian H
      Valued Member
      • May 2015
      • Melbourne

Large galvanised screws (say 6-8" long) and large flat washers from Bunning do the same job with a cheap battery drill.
      2015 NX GLS, Factory alloy bar, Kings HD Springs & Koni Shocks with 50mm lift, MM Auto Mate, Paddle shift kit, dual batteries with Redarc DC/DC, LRA 58L tank, Safari snorkel, Boo's bash plates (full set), 17" steels with BFG KO2's, Drifta drawers with slide, TPMS, Uniden UH8080S, Alpine iLX-702D head unit.

Comment

• sharkcaver
        "2000"+ Valued Contributor
        • May 2009
        • Perth

These screw pegs seem to be good......until you hit hard rock....unless it can split the rock, you're buggered.

I got some high tensile forged steel pegs similar to the snow peaks that drifta sell at an exorbitant cost.

Wow, how good are these. I reckon I could almost drive them into granite. But at aprox $10 a peg, they would want to be good.

6 pegs - 300mm - about $48 delivered. 6 x 300mm Snow peaks will cost you about $85 delivered.

Like OJ said, these coach screw pegs are useless for sand. There are sand variants around and in the vid, patriot say they have sand versions coming soon. The few I've played with were pretty useless in sand. The 500mm sand peg is hard to beat, but happy to be corrected on that.
        Last edited by sharkcaver; 11-02-19, 09:33 PM.
        MY16 NX GLX5 with just a few bits added. MY14 D-max spacecab, also with a few bits added.

My Journeys

Comment

• Ian H
          Valued Member
          • May 2015
          • Melbourne

We camped at Ningaloo Reef last year and the screw pegs were the only type we could get in to the fine gravel they had hard packed at the camp area. Even thick steel pegs bent before going in. But on Dirk Hartog Island, those wide sand pegs were perfect. You need both types, depending on where you are headed of course.
          2015 NX GLS, Factory alloy bar, Kings HD Springs & Koni Shocks with 50mm lift, MM Auto Mate, Paddle shift kit, dual batteries with Redarc DC/DC, LRA 58L tank, Safari snorkel, Boo's bash plates (full set), 17" steels with BFG KO2's, Drifta drawers with slide, TPMS, Uniden UH8080S, Alpine iLX-702D head unit.

Comment

• Pwoffey
            Valued Member
            • Jul 2013
            • Adelaide

Originally posted by Ian H View Post
            We camped at Ningaloo Reef last year and the screw pegs were the only type we could get in to the fine gravel they had hard packed at the camp area. Even thick steel pegs bent before going in.
            I know what you mean. We were at Osprey Bay camp at Ningaloo and the ground is like rock. I had some heavy duty angle iron pegs like these: https://www.snowys.com.au/angle-iron-tent-pegs and they did the trick - with a hefty club hammer. But the Snow Peak pegs from Drifta look pretty neat.
            BY13/MY14 Pajero NW GLX Auto, Cooper ST Maxx, factory towbar, Drifta drawers, SmartBar, Airtec snorkel, Koni Raid 90 front and 88 rear shocks with KIngs 34-HD springs front, 35-EHD rear, Brown Davis i/c, sump and transmission bash plates, Piranha diff breathers, Fuel Manager pre-filter, LRA 81L auxiliary fuel tank, Piranha steel battery tray, Sherpa 9500 lb winch, HPD catch can, LockUp Mate, Kaon cargo barrier, Harrop front e-locker, DBA T3 rotors and Xtreme pads, Mark's 4WD reduction gears

Comment

• ticky
              Valued Member
              • Jan 2015
              • Adelaide

I have some plastic screw pegs that are ok in soft soil, but I haven't tried them in sand.

I will be looking at the Patriot ones at the show next weekend, but as someone else said, a Long coach bolt and a flat washer will do the same job.

I prefer screw pegs where possible due to my age etc., but I still carry the old tried Steel pegs and a big hammer.

Steve
              2009 NT VRX, Rear Battery Pack, 18" Bridgestone D-697, SPVi EGR mod, BushSkinz Intercooler & Sump Plates. BOO's Transmission & Transfer Case Plates. GME 3550, HID HB's and 22"LED Bar, Pioneer Avic F80DAB Audio/Coms/Nav system MM4x4 TC Lockup Mate. & 1/2 tank of Diesel

Pretty Stock but very Capable

Wish List: ARB Deluxe Bar & Winch, Snorkel, Diff Breathers, & 1/2 tank of Diesel

Comment

• Pajshomoneroguntero
                Valued Member
                • Jul 2013
                • Sydney

Originally posted by Ian H View Post
                We camped at Ningaloo Reef last year and the screw pegs were the only type we could get in to the fine gravel they had hard packed at the camp area. Even thick steel pegs bent before going in. But on Dirk Hartog Island, those wide sand pegs were perfect. You need both types, depending on where you are headed of course.
                I recall thinking the ground was concrete in disguise. I pre drilled the peg holes with a masonry bit.
                NX GLS MY16 Auto: MM Towbar | Spare Lift Kit | Cooper ST MAXX 265/65R17 | SPVi Module mk3.1 | Autosafe Half Cargo Barrier | Torque Pro App | Donaldson 3um 2ndry Fuel Filter | Diff Breathers | GME4500 UHF | Rhino Rack Pioneer Platform | Roley's Rear Bash Plate | Bushskinz Underbody Protection | Airtec Snorkel | Onboard Compressor | Awning | ARB Deluxe Bar | Lightbar | Sherpa4x4 Winch | Bushskinz Sidesteps | Masten TPMS

Build Thread

Comment

• Ian H
                  Valued Member
                  • May 2015
                  • Melbourne

It certainly was. We were at Osprey too and I should have parked closer to the timber barrier so I could at least tie some of the ropes off on that. We had the full annex up and I didn't have a battery drill so each screw went in using the wrench from my socket set. No fun in that heat but there was no way those pegs would come out, no matter how hard the wind blew. Unscrewing them wasn't quite so bad.

Comment

• Hatto
                    Valued Member
                    • Nov 2013
                    • Mandurah WA

Check out this video I found yesterday. He bangs one of these metal pegs into jarrah! Obviously no good for sand but for hard ground they would be ideal

Cheers, Hatto

2012 NW GLS Diesel Auto with:
                    ARB delux bar, full length Ocam ally roof rack with rear LED work light, dual batteries, DIY rear ally drawers with fridge slide, 2" lift oztec/kings, Polyairs, Kings awning 2.5 x 2.5m with LED strip light, pair of genr8 40w LED spot/flood driving lights, iron man 4x4 22" LED light bar, mounted thumper compressor, 70L water tank & 12v pump, 120w solar, LED interior lights, Boo Boo's bash plates, Safari snorkel and Grande mk lll 12000lb winch.

Comment

• Ian H
                      Valued Member
                      • May 2015
                      • Melbourne

They are good pegs, I've got a set in the caravan. I don't know if they'd have worked at Osprey though, I didn't have them with me up there as we used the Tvan. I still like the look of the angle iron type for really hard ground.

Comment

• sharkcaver
                        "2000"+ Valued Contributor
                        • May 2009
                        • Perth

Originally posted by Pwoffey View Post
                        We were at Osprey Bay camp at Ningaloo and the ground is like rock.
                        First time I used the pegs I linked earlier was in a well compacted camp ground which looked like concrete dust - maybe a road base of some kind??

Started with the old trusty steel ones and it made a 1/2 inch impression in the ground before flaring the hole, going nowhere and starting to bend.

So I tried my new super duper peg - wow - it drove straight in with ease. This ground would have been similar in hardness to some of the others mentioned above. And surprisingly, it was pretty easy to remove when I wanted to.

That one event alone proved to me I need not carry a battery drill and auger any more. But I need to pay about $10 a peg (actually it works out at $8 a peg delivered - I just ordered another set for the camper - putting ones money where his mouth is )

A few years ago, I was camped at Steep Point. Same shelly type of ground that Ian mentions. Getting 500mm sand pegs in was not easy, but do-able. Unfortunately a very strong cold front came in, and with the amount of canvas deployed, I had to double peg it. I really thought I was going to have a canvas blow out, the wind was that strong. I never slept that night due to the buffeting of the camper from said wind. This was before it got up to full strength. You can see the wind load in the canvas. The tent next door failed during the night:

I like the super peg idea of applying load directly into the shank. But I still suggest the drop forged peg is superior again (mind you it would want to, its 4 times the price - but there is no folded head to bend at all in those)
                        Last edited by sharkcaver; 12-02-19, 02:33 PM.
                        MY16 NX GLX5 with just a few bits added. MY14 D-max spacecab, also with a few bits added.

My Journeys

Comment

• Aspey
                          • Dec 2015
                          • Great Southern Land

The coach bolt idea has been around for awhile now.
                          The Rockbreaker spring steel pegs from Multi Slide Industries are supposed to be pretty good. I picked some up but haven't been able to put them to the test yet.
                          NP VRX DID

Comment

• 1533rl
                            • Jun 2007
                            • armadale wa

Tent pegs

My simple solution to bent tent pegs, just 12mm steel rod ground to a point and with 4mm cross piece welded on to hold the rope. When the point flattens, or top gets a bit rough just grind them again. Easy as, and cheap too.
                            Don't work in sand though, I use sand bags. Very light to take, filling sand is free and bags very light to take home.
                            Attached Files

Comment

• Ian H
                              Valued Member
                              • May 2015
                              • Melbourne

The camp host at Osprey had a steel rod like those which he gave me to try but it didn't even go in a few cm before it stopped and any more hits would bend it.

The shale type grpund is so compacted it's like concrete and the water actually sets the fine dust so it becomes like cement holding it all together.

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X