Fuel Gauge issue after LED upgrade

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fuel Gauge issue after LED upgrade

I've recently replaced my instrument panels lights with Led's which look great, however I'm having an issue with the fuel gauge ever since. When I turn the ignition on the fuel gauge shows triple the amount of fuel than it actually has.. It shows normal levels after about 15 minutes of driving...
    I'm just wondering, could this be a comparable to replacing led bulbs and having to install load bearing resistor or relay? The fast flashing indicator syndrome?
  • disco stu
    Valued Member
    • Dec 2018
    • Wollongong

Surely the lights in there couldn't be related to the fuel gauge itself, as you don't always have the lights on. Indicator flashing is understandable as the flasher relies on the load, which lessens with LED's.

Have you tried replacing anything back to incandescent to see if the problem goes away? I'm imagining its not a simple exercise changing globes in there though

Comment

• erad
      Valued Member
      • Mar 2015
      • Cooma NSW

I cannot say fro sure what the newer model cars are, but the oldies used to have a separate power supply for the instruments. Typically it was 5 V or 7 V, and it was stabilised ie as long as your alternator or generator was putting out enough voltage, the power supply to the instruments remained at the specified level. It sounds as if inputting LEDs in you instrument panel, you may have accidentally knocked out the power supply for the gauges, hence they are getting the full 12 or 14 V instead of 5 V. I don't know if there is a stabilised power supply on the instrument panel - other more experienced members here may comment???

Comment

• disco stu
        Valued Member
        • Dec 2018
        • Wollongong

But dropping back down after 15min?? That part seems a bit weird

Comment

• Moci
          • Sep 2014
          • Balkan, Europe

I have exactly the same problem.
          Just it was when I bought the car and when I start the car gauge show empty tank. When I drive a litle gauge start working normal.
          Sometimes works normal when I start car but sometimes it need a litle driving.
          NP Pajero 3.2DiD auto GLS Exceed 2004 LWB Gold metallic color, 275/50 R20 MAK wheels ET20 polished, 2" Lift kit, EGR blanked off, Chip, Leather electric seats, Xenon lights, LED/Angel eyes projector headlights, Led daytime lights in bumper, Led roof lights, Led tail lights, Full led interior, Led dash, Color factory display, Chrome bullbar, Dual battery, Rear spoiler with lip, Tinted windows, Kenwood sound system, TeamHeko wind deflectors, 2din DVD player with reverse camera and GPS navigation

Comment

• RUGGA
            Valued Member
            • Nov 2014
            • Adelaide

As the OP said that he had the instrument panel out, I would start there. We own a Gen 3 that can be 18 yrs old. I can't imagine the panel, that has been happily siting in situ being moved, you also would have seen the way the panels male and female electrical connectors work (can someone please tell me the name of this ribbon type connection). When i re-flowed(?) the solder to my R-10 resistor for the temp gauge, I had ALL sorts of instrument panel items not working when they were before removing. A good clean up and even the correct pressure during re-installation (through trial and error) and All was good again.
            02 NM 3.2, Auto, Exceed, I/C and sump guards, L&B 2" lift, 265/75/16 OPAT2.

Comment

OK great, I'll start with checking the voltages coming through, see what's going on there..
              Thanks everyone

Comment

• Ocean
                • May 2014
                • Blue mountains NSW

There are old threads on the forum for the gen 3’s where removing the instrument cluster can be temperamental when reinserting, sometimes removing and gently moving the wire strip/ribbon and gently reinstalling ensuring straight insertion resolved issues.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                Oct 2005 NP Diesel Auto, Roof Racks, Redark Brake controler, Tobar, Rear Suspension Air Bags, Turbo Timer, Oricom UHF030 CB, ARB Bar, Warn 10000 Magnum Winch, Old Man Emu 2" Kit, Bushskinz Cooller, Sump, Transmission and Transfer Bash Plates, Tigerz11 Rear Awning and Net, Tigerz11 side Awning, Dual Batteries, Cooper AT3s, home made steel rack, rear home made Draws, Donaldson 3 micron second fuel filter, ERG blank, all breathers extended and Integra side steps.

Comment

OK great! Thanks Ocean! I'll be adding all this to the long list of problems I'm having lol

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X