• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • NJV6
    Valued Member
    • Sep 2010
    • New Zealand

Throttle controllers create as much stir as DC-DC chargers. Those that have them love them, those that don't think they are a waste of money.

Who cares? Let them have one and let you not have one. The V6 is so much nicer to drive about town, I would love more throttle response from my NT, its dead even with full throttle, might have to try one . I see they are pretty cheap on aliexpress.
    1994 NJ SWB, 3.5 Manual, 285/75/16 Deegan 38s MT, 25mm body lift, Twin ARB air lockers, XD9000 winch, custom bar.
    1991 NH LWB, 3.9 V8, trayback, solid front axle, Toyota hi mount winch
    2011 NT GLX DiD, 3.2 Manual, 285/65/17 Falken Wildpeak AT3W, SPV EGR, Lovells SD rear, HD front, Bilsteins, Custom underbody protection, Safari Snorkel, JTig intercooler and loads of zip ties in the dash...

Comment

• Nab
      Valued Member
      • Mar 2012
      • Perth

I have an iDrive in my auto 2014 Ranger. It does nothing to help the turbo lag, nor does it increase power at all but makes it much more responsive to drive. Off the mark acceleration still sucks arse!

The best way I can describe it is that the standard throttle feels like it has an elastic band between the pedal and the throttle. The iDrive basically turns the elastic band into a solid connection.

All I can say is try one if you can, it just makes the car more enjoyable to drive. Although there is no performance increase the way the throttle responds makes it much more lively to drive. It's hard to explain but flooring the pedal doesn't have the same effect as using an iDrive.

After driving for a week with an iDrive, turning it off makes the car feel like the handbrake it being left on...
      SOLD 2004 NP 3.2 auto
      NOW 2014 Ranger XLT auto

Comment

• Merts
        Valued Member
        • Nov 2011
        • Bendigo Vic

Originally posted by Jim-oz View Post
        In other words he hasn't and hadn't tried one, plenty of people around with Degrees, especial pollies and i certainly don't believe or trust them.
        Lol. It wasn't 'in other words'. I specifically said I hadn't tried one. My comments regarding how they work and what they can and can't do are a matter of fact however. One of us understands electronics and physics. The other doesn't.
        Merts
        Impulse Blue 2015 MQ Triton GLS Auto

ARB Summit front & rear bars and side steps, Carryboy canopy and rack, Safari Snorkel, VRS 9500 winch, Gecko 16x7 rims with BFG 245/75r16 KM3s, Uniden 8080s UHF, Darche 270 awning
        Dobinson heavy duty suspension, Harrop rear Elocker, Supertrim Neoprene Seat Covers, Drifta drawers, MSA drop slide, dual battery system and ARB onboard compressor. National Campers Hermit.

Previously a Gunmetal 2007 NS VRX DiD Auto

Comment

• Poita
          Valued Member
          • Sep 2010
          • Adelaide

No one is denying that they make the car feel more responsive, the critisism is the unsubstantiated claims of reduced lag etc.

Get one of you want the car to feel more responsive, that is a valid enough. But don't buy one thinking it does all this other magic when qualified people are telling you that it simply cannot.
          NW VRX MY2013
          Jonny Tig FMIC, 3" Exhaust, RalliArt remap, Provent, FuelManager, CouplerTec rust protection, ARB bar, Runva winch, TJM Snorkel, Bilstein/Lovell/Airbags, full Bushskins kit, Asfir AC+fuel, Fyrlyt Nemesis 9000 spotties + LED headlights, Uniden UHF, RedArc TowPro Elite, BRC breathers, Honda sprayers, Automate lockup/paddles, Rhino platform/backbone

Comment

• marlin1856
            • Apr 2013
            • Melbourne

Originally posted by Poita View Post
            No one is denying that they make the car feel more responsive, the critisism is the unsubstantiated claims of reduced lag etc.

Get one of you want the car to feel more responsive, that is a valid enough. But don't buy one thinking it does all this other magic when qualified people are telling you that it simply cannot.
            Thank you.....responsiveness is all I'm after at this point it's really all that this vehicle needs.
            2016 Pajero Sport Exceed Titanium

Comment

• Kingbrown
              Valued Member
              • Apr 2012
              • Port Augusta - SA

Robust discussion here, and thankfully without any direct insults.

We have a fair idea what the pedal signal does and how the various actuators respond to driving signals from the ecu (turbo, scv etc), but what of that black box in between ?
              The hallowed 'ecu'.

Could there be unknown features/functions within the ecu such as filtering, deadband, delays that yield a very different response (transfer function) of the ecu for extreme rate-of-change inputted from the throttle ?
              2012 PB Challenger LS Manual

Comment

• nj swb
                Resident
                • Jun 2007
                • Adelaide

Originally posted by Kingbrown View Post
                Robust discussion here, and thankfully without any direct insults.

We have a fair idea what the pedal signal does and how the various actuators respond to driving signals from the ecu (turbo, scv etc), but what of that black box in between ?
                The hallowed 'ecu'.

Could there be unknown features/functions within the ecu such as filtering, deadband, delays that yield a very different response (transfer function) of the ecu for extreme rate-of-change inputted from the throttle ?
                I agree with you 100%.

Originally posted by nj swb View Post
                The aspect I don't think has been well-discussed is the effect they can have on "learning" systems. The following is a lot of guesswork - I'm not saying this does happen, I'm throwing it out there for discussion.

If somebody normally drives their vehicle sedately, the ECU may learn "sedate" behaviour, and respond accordingly. Perhaps, when a "sedate" driver mashes the throttle, the ECU responds a little more conservatively, to ensure the "sedate" driver doesn't get "caught out".

Put the controller in, and the "sedate" throttle application looks like "aggressive" application. The ECU learns that it has an "aggressive" driver, and responds differently in routine use.

Consequently, adding the controller might lead the factory "learning" ECU to learn that it has an "aggressive" driver, and perhaps use parameters more akin to a "Sports" mode.

NT Platinum. DiD Auto with 265/70R17 ST Maxx, Lift, Lockers, Lockup Mate, Low range reduction, LRA Aux tank, bull bar, winch, lots of touring stuff. Flappy paddles. MMCS is gone!

Project: NJ SWB. 285/75R16 ST Maxx, 2" OME suspension, 2" body lift, ARB 110, 120l tank, bullbar, scratches, no major dents. Fully engineered in SA. NW DiD & auto in place - a long way to go....

Scorpro Explorer Box

Comment

• Pickle
                  Administrator
                  • Jun 2007
                  • All over Oz

Love mine .certainly makes the paj more responsive.
                  Dave
                  NX Pampas Cat GLS MY16
                  Member 1228 Pajero Club

Comment

• marlin1856
                    • Apr 2013
                    • Melbourne

Originally posted by Pickle View Post
                    Love mine .certainly makes the paj more responsive.
                    Dave
                    Great thx, where did you stick the display? out of sight or on the dash?
                    2016 Pajero Sport Exceed Titanium

Comment

• Pickle
                      Administrator
                      • Jun 2007
                      • All over Oz

Originally posted by marlin1856 View Post
                      Great thx, where did you stick the display? out of sight or on the dash?
                      Just to the right of the steering wheel.

Dave
                      NX Pampas Cat GLS MY16
                      Member 1228 Pajero Club

Comment

• rotare
                        Valued Member
                        • Nov 2007

Originally posted by BruceandBobbi View Post
                        If you want to "go instantly" buy a Ferrari not a 4X4.
                        Why is it on this forum particularly, that whenever someone tries to improve the performance of their Pajero there is always someone suggesting they're trying to turn their 4wd into a race car?

It's like improving engine performance is taboo for some people....
                        2013 NW VRX

Comment

• littleriver
                          Valued Member
                          • Jan 2013
                          • Queensland

Originally posted by rotare View Post
                          Why is it on this forum particularly, that whenever someone tries to improve the performance of their Pajero there is always someone suggesting they're trying to turn their 4wd into a race car?

It's like improving engine performance is taboo for some people....
                          NB it's not this forum ... it may be some member's in particular

we want the best out of our 4wd's including longevity ... finding the happy medium is my goal ...

2012 PB Challenger LS (Manual) Safari Snorkel, OZtec shocks front & rear with King Springs (lift 2 inch) , 22 inch light bar on ECB Nudge bar, roof racks & basket, Bridgestone Duelers 697 LT A/T (116S), Uniden Dash cam, Oricom 2 way radio 80 channel, Ipod connected via glove box usb, Waeco cf50, Garmin gps (with topo), Opticoat + paint protection, Nilrust proofing, Roosystems Ecu Remap

Comment

I bought the Windbooster 2 years ago. Use it in sports mode. It does not increase the power of the car, it only make the throttle think you have pressed it quicker than you have. In saying that it has made the 2015 Challenger a pleasure to drive and got rid of some of the lag when you take off. We put it back on normal mode for towing as the we find under load the car torque converter becomes unlocked quicker which heats up the automatic temp. As it doesn't increase the power of the car in the normal mode it makes no difference when towing IMO. Cheers

Comment

• ilikeachallenge
                              • Feb 2017
                              • victoria

Bang for buck the I drive is a great unit and with sensible throttle inputs from the driver it makes a vast improvement on standard at a low price point and without the potential warranty issues a chip and tune may present.To fit the I drive is a 10 minute plug and play set up so see if you can get hold of 1 to try out.
                              Last edited by ilikeachallenge; 26-08-18, 01:35 PM.
                              2014 Ironbark Auto PC. TJM Bullbar and 9500 lb winch with rope,Safari snorkel,ARB bashplates,factory rear locker,BFG KO2 all terrains,custom rear storage and false floor,second row Engel 40 lt fridge mount,tint,Rasslar rock sliders,100 amp dual battery with 40 amp dcdc charger,45 cent EGR resistor mod,MM tow bar,GME 40 channel uhf with RFI antenna,I drive throttle controller,hard wired 180 lt per minute compressor,kings 2.5x3mt awning,Xray spots,OztecKings combo.

Comment

• woffleon
                                • Jul 2016
                                • NSW

Its all about "feeling, grunt, meat under the foot" A dyno would reveal all ..... 2 tests one with and one without and while we're measuring let's not forget about fuel consumption. I suspect the I drive will add a couple of liters to ur fuel bill per 100.
                                My wife's kia has a sports normal and eco mode and is a simple button on the dash not enable the second turbo and engage the supercharger with the additional 4 cylinders.
                                Its also important to have throttle control in a 4x4 and I think this is what MM was thinking when they set this parameter. There is a fair bit of lurching when negotiating a tricky section of track and this is where the PS throttle response is perfect in getting the right rpm for the terrain. I tried this with the kia once and it scared the bejesus outa me.

If you were to shorten the peddle actuator arm would have the same effect? Might be a bit harder to adjust while your driving though!
                                Sterling Silver Pajero Sport Exceed -- HR towbar - Towpro Elite - Duel battery - King spring KCRS23

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X