X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • bambam351
    • Mar 2013
    • albany,wa

I don't think anyone should get too bent out of shape about the whole airbag compatibility deal....
    I have been out of the gen parts game for a little bit (6 years) but up until then ONLY vehicle manufacturers had to do destructive vehicle testing on accessories that may affect air bag operation.

Yep, when a Genuine bull bar/steps etc are said to be air bag compatible - they are... Manufacturers had to prove it twice by smashing 2 vehicles - if it didn't work try again....Little wonder they are gold plated when development costs include a minimum of two written off vehicles.

Unlike the aftermarket - they have to do a mere pendulum test on there accessories - bar bolted down and a big weight belted into the front of it - impact measured etc etc...
    Not on a vehicle at all.
    Somehow a pass using this test gives airbag compatibility bragging rights.

So when ARB and the like claim air bag compatability - there is no physical proof their products will not effect airbag operation - and how would you ever know....

Legislation at it's best people

Comment

• Dicko1
      Valued Member
      • Dec 2014
      • Cairns, FNQ

Originally posted by bambam351 View Post
      I don't think anyone should get too bent out of shape about the whole airbag compatibility deal....
      I have been out of the gen parts game for a little bit (6 years) but up until then ONLY vehicle manufacturers had to do destructive vehicle testing on accessories that may affect air bag operation.

Yep, when a Genuine bull bar/steps etc are said to be air bag compatible - they are... Manufacturers had to prove it twice by smashing 2 vehicles - if it didn't work try again....Little wonder they are gold plated when development costs include a minimum of two written off vehicles.

Unlike the aftermarket - they have to do a mere pendulum test on there accessories - bar bolted down and a big weight belted into the front of it - impact measured etc etc...
      Not on a vehicle at all.
      Somehow a pass using this test gives airbag compatibility bragging rights.

So when ARB and the like claim air bag compatability - there is no physical proof their products will not effect airbag operation - and how would you ever know....

Legislation at it's best people

Good post mate....Legislation and advertising....bullshit at its best and manufacturers will say and do anything to get your dollars...
      Dicko. FNQ

2014 NW with all the usual stuff plus more.

TIME....1000 times more valuable than money

Comment

• Amok
        • Dec 2016
        • Sydney

Agree with the above guys, but its also about not giving a reason for your insurance company to deny your claim. And believe me they will do anything they can to wiggle out of it. I have been through 2 months of investigations when I had a car written off. They eventually replaced it when they decided they'd wasted enough time and resources trying to find a way out.

So if I was going to buy rock sliders, I'd want a pair that were ADR compliant to save my own ass if in the unlikely scenario of dealing with dodgy insurance companies (ie all of them)
        MY17 NX GLX with too much cash blown on it

Comment

• ilikeachallenge
          • Feb 2017
          • victoria

Ras soar sliders

I have rasslar sliders fitted to my pc and they have saved the sills from any damage but the powder coating is very poor and chipped off in places within weeks of fitting without any off-road work.when I went back and pointed this out they refused to repair or re coat them and just said come back when they rust.sorry rasslar you will never see me or my wallet again.
          2014 Ironbark Auto PC. TJM Bullbar and 9500 lb winch with rope,Safari snorkel,ARB bashplates,factory rear locker,BFG KO2 all terrains,custom rear storage and false floor,second row Engel 40 lt fridge mount,tint,Rasslar rock sliders,100 amp dual battery with 40 amp dcdc charger,45 cent EGR resistor mod,MM tow bar,GME 40 channel uhf with RFI antenna,I drive throttle controller,hard wired 180 lt per minute compressor,kings 2.5x3mt awning,Xray spots,OztecKings combo.

Comment

• ilikeachallenge
            • Feb 2017
            • victoria

Just an update re my sliders.Rob at Rasslar discovered a supplier had supplied an incorrect primer for their powdercoating and this caused the chipping.I took my rockslides in and they stripped them and recoated them free of charge.they look new again.well done Rasslar
            2014 Ironbark Auto PC. TJM Bullbar and 9500 lb winch with rope,Safari snorkel,ARB bashplates,factory rear locker,BFG KO2 all terrains,custom rear storage and false floor,second row Engel 40 lt fridge mount,tint,Rasslar rock sliders,100 amp dual battery with 40 amp dcdc charger,45 cent EGR resistor mod,MM tow bar,GME 40 channel uhf with RFI antenna,I drive throttle controller,hard wired 180 lt per minute compressor,kings 2.5x3mt awning,Xray spots,OztecKings combo.

Comment

• Peterng
              Valued Member
              • Jun 2013
              • Northern Rivers NSW

I found my Bushskinz Rock sliders have been a good benefit.
              1st mod I did, when I got the Paj...
              There has been talk of the side impact SRS bags and stuff, but I don't try overthink it..
              Why I like the Rock sliders..side steps...whatever..
              Well, they have protected the underneath sill a many times when I have gone over one of two decent tree branches covering a track or two...one snapped and due to its internal tension, it flew up...hit the rock slider, was deflected and rolled away.
              If the rock slider was'nt there, I believe the tree branch would have hit the door panel..either denting it, or giving it a good scrap.
              On one or two excursions into the bush up here with the tight and very narrow tracks, I have scrapped around a few trees...the sliders seem to have protected the side of the Paj whilst I was not paying attention.
              So, it's not only rocks they are good for.
              Plus..and most importantly...
              The little lady likes them too...she uses them as a stepup to get into the Paj, for with the 2" lift...it is a just fraction high.
              She, having had a hip replacement, likes the less stress on her hip whilst getting in and out.
              Also..not forgetting the furr child...
              Hamish likes using the slider as a step whilst getting out of the Paj...lessens the jarring effect on himself a he gets out of the Paj..
              Yeh... they are not cheap..which ever type you get...but I have found them worth it.

Comment

• Ent
                Valued Member
                • Apr 2014
                • Tasmania

Insurance companies aside, as they can be strange beasts. I agree that they on my Challenger have proven invaluable in not having to put in claims. The side steps on the Challenger were looking very secondhand after 20,000kms and if I was in claim mode then about once a year I would be making one.

On safety my understanding is the issue is they need a compression zone to be approved nowadays. Ones from Ironman have a simple design where the side impact is absorbed by a crumple zone. Due to the side having limited depth the zone is at best 50mm, if not half that. On a solid rail ladder chassis with narrow width like the Challenger there is precious little crumple space so while worthwhile considering if an option exists I think it minimal benefit.

I would not be without mine nowadays. Only thing is the Bushskinz ones are rather poorly painted. But then again drag them off, hit with wire brush and respray from a can and you are back in business. Powder coating is a two edge sword. While looks good it means damage is expensive to repair. I consider the rocksliders to be a "sacrificial" item.

For me, even at six foot three I need them to access the roof pod. The damage they have saved runs to many thousands of dollars. This is not extreme use, they by simply fending off a branch flicked up by the front wheels saved an expensive repair. When a road gave way they took the bulk of the weight and allowed DooSo to be slide over a log with not damage to be recovered.

I consider them after the diff and intercooler bashplates to be the next item to get to protect the vehicle. As written, I would check out if Ironman (or similar) have a suitable set that complies with crash standards, as safety is always important.
                2014 PC Challenger, manual, factory tow-bar, factory front diff protector, TJM inter-cooler plate, Bushskinz manual transmission protection plate, ProRack S16 roof racks, front elocker, Drummond Motor Sport front struts, custom 16mm King rear springs with Bilstein Dampeners, Buzz Rack Runner 3 bike platform, Eclipse Nav head unit, GME TX3800BW UHF, 16x8 CSA Raptor rims, 265/75R16 Maxxis MT-762, orToyo AT/2 265/70R16 Triton rims, BFGoodrich 235/85/R16 Triton rims, or Factory tyres and rims.

Comment

• liyunzhnen001
                  • Nov 2018
                  • WA

Originally posted by serapax View Post
                  I really want to get Bushskinz rocksliders for the GLX-R with side airbags, but the lack of certified airbag compatibility worries me. I'm satisfied that there is little safety impact, but I'd hate to have an unrelated insurance claim refused on the basis of an illegal mod discovered by the assessor.

I'm disappointed in the soft plastic trim on my factory steps, and can see them getting destroyed even by sticks pretty quick. I may have to resign myself to just replacing them every few years.

Just a thought - I expect they don't do destructive testing for airbag compatibility, and would just use an ADR engineer's assessment? I wonder that if this is indeed the case, are there enough of us to make chipping-in cost effective means to have this done?
                  I called RAC, they said it is fine with non-airbag-compliant, because it is classified as accessory

Comment

• denmonkey
                    • Oct 2017
                    • Newcastle NSW

Wouldn't be without them . Plus my boos bash plates.

First mod I do to my 4bys is plates.

I've got my bushskinz on and they've saved my ass more than a few times. I wouldn't do this sort of stuff if I didn't have them.

From this above (see my utube video https://youtu.be/3-kNrd3iIQQ around the 4 minute mark ) for the hiding they took and as per others have said above, on tracks where a branch or the like throws up.

re the air bag thing, I agree with what appear to be the logical comments about them not impeding the air back activation in the event of an accident.

I have no proof but it works in my mind.

I don't think the OP said what sort of driving he was intending to do though ??

cheers Brett

Comment

• nj swb
                      Resident
                      • Jun 2007
                      • Adelaide

In my line of work, we spend a lot of time on risk assessment - probability of an outcome vs the severity of the impact.

Probability of body damage with moderate impact is a much higher risk than probability of an insurance claim being denied due to having the side steps fitted.

I won't be removing my Bushskinz side steps.
                      NT Platinum. DiD Auto with 265/70R17 ST Maxx, Lift, Lockers, Lockup Mate, Low range reduction, LRA Aux tank, bull bar, winch, lots of touring stuff. Flappy paddles. MMCS is gone!

Project: NJ SWB. 285/75R16 ST Maxx, 2" OME suspension, 2" body lift, ARB 110, 120l tank, bullbar, scratches, no major dents. Fully engineered in SA. NW DiD & auto in place - a long way to go....

Scorpro Explorer Box

Comment

• denmonkey
                        • Oct 2017
                        • Newcastle NSW

Originally posted by nj swb View Post
                        In my line of work, we spend a lot of time on risk assessment - probability of an outcome vs the severity of the impact.

Probability of body damage with moderate impact is a much higher risk than probability of an insurance claim being denied due to having the side steps fitted.

I won't be removing my Bushskinz side steps.
                        egg zachery .

I've used mine several times vs 0 accidents.

I still don't want to test the theory though

Comment

• NTBenny
                          • May 2017
                          • Newcastle

Originally posted by denmonkey View Post
                          Wouldn't be without them . Plus my boos bash plates.

First mod I do to my 4bys is plates.

I've got my bushskinz on and they've saved my ass more than a few times. I wouldn't do this sort of stuff if I didn't have them.

From this above (see my utube video https://youtu.be/3-kNrd3iIQQ around the 4 minute mark ) for the hiding they took and as per others have said above, on tracks where a branch or the like throws up.

re the air bag thing, I agree with what appear to be the logical comments about them not impeding the air back activation in the event of an accident.

I have no proof but it works in my mind.

I don't think the OP said what sort of driving he was intending to do though ??

cheers Brett
                          Brett,
                          I bought my Bushskinz side steps after watching your video and seeing how much of a pounding they took. Made me think they'll be fine for what I'll do with them. Something I'd like to ask though, how are the mounting points under your car looking after this punishment? When I fitted mine I felt the factory mounting points were probably the weakest link now. Do you have any photos of how these are handling the punishment?

Thanks,
                          Benny.
                          2011 NT Pajero Platinum, DCS 80AH Extreme Battery, Stedi 8.5" LED driving lights, Bushskinz side steps & bash plates, Provent 200, Auto-mate TC lockup, Derale fan forced trans cooler, custom 3inch exhaust, JT intercooler, Bilstein + Lovells 2 inch lift, Airbag Man bags, DBA slotted rotors, braided brake lines, diff+gearbox+transfer breathers, Redarc boost & EGT gauge, Tuned by TME 141rwkw 598nm.

Comment

• denmonkey
                            • Oct 2017
                            • Newcastle NSW

I haven't looked specifically at them but had a squizz under the vehicle after that day in particular and aside from breaking a bash plate bolt all was good.

Now that you mention it though, I'll get under there maybe next weekend , check it out and report back.

I agree as well that the mounting points on the vehicle are the weakest link.

Mine also need a bit of a paint tough up where they took the hits.

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                            Working...
                            X