• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • steve.gallyot
    • May 2019
    • Cowes

Flappy noises behind dash?

Hi all I’m a newby to this forum. Just picked up a 2004 model Pajero Exceed second hand and all appears to be good apart from some strange noises coming from the behind the dash. Sounds like air operated valves opening and closing randomly and is present when the car is idling. My question is “is this normal?” And if not any ideas? Oh and further to this the centre diff light comes on after about 15mins driving in 2WD but until then all appears normal with the 4WD system. If you stop the engine and restart it all goes fine for about 10 mins then it comes on again - I’m thinking this is a vac leak in the 4WD system but it may be related to the noises I am hearing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Bazooka
    • Apr 2012
    • Fraser Coast Queensland

Hi Steve, I too have a similar intermittent occasional flapping, or as I call it, 'rattling' noise behind my dash which I first heard a couple of years ago. The noise was most noticable (when it did occur) with the ignition in the ON position, but engine not started.

I eventually discovered that the rattling noise could be stopped and retriggered by turning the vent position control knob off and back on to the second or third notch (can't remember exactly now).

An auto sparkie told me there are quite a few solenoids behind the dash on these Paj's and so I assume the rattle is from a dodgy solenoid associated with the vent control system.

I've never heard it when driving and the vent system still seems to work ok so I'm not concerned about chasing a fix at this stage.

Hope this helps.

Cheers - Bazooka
    2004 NP 3.2 Auto Exceed, 410,250+k's, OME Suspension w/2-inch Lift, ECB Aluminium Bullbar, Under-bonnet Dual Batteries. Engine rebuilt at 401,595k's.

Comment

• steve.gallyot
      • May 2019
      • Cowes

Thanks Bazooka, I will be pulling out the heater controls soon to move them down to the lower partition to put in an updated dd head unit so I will investigate the heater system then and see what I can find and post the results. It doesn’t affect any running or heater control so it’s not major just curious as to what it’s doing back there!

Comment

• Bazooka
        • Apr 2012

I liked the double din idea too and was going to go down that route but I've had my hands deep in my pockets fixing other things on the Paj (and the caravan) over the past couple of years to keep the travelling dream alive. So far so good

I'll be keen to hear what you find back there with that noise..
        2004 NP 3.2 Auto Exceed, 410,250+k's, OME Suspension w/2-inch Lift, ECB Aluminium Bullbar, Under-bonnet Dual Batteries. Engine rebuilt at 401,595k's.

Comment

• steve.gallyot
          • May 2019
          • Cowes

Update on the flappy noises! Changed the heater control to the lower dash panel no problems. Turned out the Exceed model takes no modification as the heater controls are all electronic so just unclip the cable and air hose and reconnect in the lower din. Fit the stereo and reassemble. Pic below is of the plug/socket in back of the heater unit.

Comment

• steve.gallyot
            • May 2019
            • Cowes

As to the flappy noise I have found it’s the heat control servo that is fidgety. I will try post a video somehow.

Comment

• steve.gallyot
              • May 2019
              • Cowes

The completed conversion.

Comment

• Bazooka
                • Apr 2012

Nice work Steve and I'm happy to hear the Exceed doesn't need the cut and paste that other models require for this mod.

The heater control servo looks easily accessible (bonus) and can I assume it is directly behind where the double din media unit is located?

Cheers - Bazooka

Comment

• steve.gallyot
                  • May 2019
                  • Cowes

It’s easy to get to but it i was thinking it might be the heater switch. As the heater switch is electrical it must be a variable resistor type like the volume knob in a radio. I’d say the contacts in the switch are dirty and need a clean as it’s like the servo motor can’t decide what point to stop on. Anyway at least I found the problem.

Comment

• Bazooka
                    • Apr 2012

Well there's something for me to check out when I get an opportunity

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X